closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Language.

Grand Master

Language.

Face to face communication is a million miles apart from the written word and can be perceived as harsh sometimes.

If your asked a question that requires a simple YES as the reply,that can come across harsh!....so we would write or say Yeah to soften it.

But it intrigues me how we are happy to say for eg "feck it" in a post(just seen it on one) and we're all ok with that,and 100% know the letter E is actually the letter U.

I'm genuinely interested how we use language and how it comes across.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 20th October 2023 at 19:54.

I know what you mean. For example, if you use 'your' rather than you are or you're and 'eg' rather than e.g. or 'for example' then you come over as uneducated, whereas in real life if we were talking, you'd probably come over as ok.

Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    I know what you mean. For example, if you use 'your' rather than you are or you're and 'eg' rather than e.g. or 'for example' then you come over as uneducated, whereas in real life if we were talking, you'd probably come over as ok.
    Are they pronounced differently?

I always find it interesting how economical English is vs other languages. For example if I say 'The New York flight' you can understand I mean the flight with a destination of New York, and I've used 4 words to say that, or 16 letters

The French equivalent would be 'L'avion à destination de New York' ' I've used 7 words or 27 letters to explain the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I always find it interesting how economical English is vs other languages. For example if I say 'The New York flight' you can understand I mean the flight with a destination of New York, and I've used 4 words to say that, or 16 letters

The French equivalent would be 'L'avion à destination de New York' ' I've used 7 words or 27 letters to explain the same thing.
    With my schoolboy French I'd say 'L'avion pour New York'. Maybe incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Indeed incorrect. You've basically said 'The plane for New York', indicating the plane is to be given to New York.

Indeed incorrect. You've basically said 'The plane for New York', indicating the plane is to be given to New York.
    Okay, though I'd hope it might be understood...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Face to face communication is a million miles apart from the written word and can be perceived as harsh sometimes.

If your asked a question that requires a simple YES as the reply,that can come across harsh!....so we would write or say Yeah to soften it.

But it intrigues me how we are happy to say for eg "feck it" in a post(just seen it on one) and we're all ok with that,and 100% know the letter E is actually the letter U.

That is most likely the Father Ted effect,most of us see it as a comedy rather than an insulting word.

Language evolves with time, always has and it largely depends on context and recipient
    For me Feck = jovial form of f*ck
    It’s less aggressive, and more socially acceptable now. It’s clearly meant in a jokey way. I would never tell anyone to feck off in a serious context, I would tell them to f**k off and I would mean it.

The recipients locale also has a part to play, some words are more acceptable in some parts of the world.

You are not part of the gang unless you are called a c**t in Australia. Same for calling someone a tw@t in London, it’s not the done thing in parts of the north. The word sh1t is a universal in London. Everything is sh1t. “Have you seen that sh1t”? “hold on whilst I get my sh1t together” “that is good sh1t”

What was once and offensive word is no longer offensive and new words have replaced the once unspeakable. Most people write in the same manner as they speak so this is reflected in written word.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The word sh1t is a universal in London. Everything is sh1t. “Have you seen that sh1t”? “hold on whilst I get my sh1t together” “that is good sh1t”
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I'm always amazed how the 'c word' is used as a catch all noun in Glasgow.

'Did ye meet Tony' new bairn Moira?'

'Aye, met the bonny wee c*nt yesterday'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe technically incorrect, but my schoolboy French would know exactly what you mean. So in the real world it would work fine.

Grand Master
    Language evolves with time, always has and it largely depends on context and recipient
    For me Feck = jovial form of f*ck
    It’s less aggressive, and more socially acceptable now. It’s clearly meant in a jokey way. I would never tell anyone to feck off in a serious context, I would tell them to f**k off and I would mean it.

The recipients locale also has a part to play, some words are more acceptable in some parts of the world.

You are not part of the gang unless you are called a c**t in Australia. Same for calling someone a tw@t in London, it’s not the done thing in parts of the north. The word sh1t is a universal in London. Everything is sh1t. “Have you seen that sh1t”? “hold on whilst I get my sh1t together” “that is good sh1t”

What was once and offensive word is no longer offensive and new words have replaced the once unspeakable. Most people write in the same manner as they speak so this is reflected in written word.
    Ive never actually used or overheard the word "feck" in any public place,or expect to hear any mates use it whilst talking.

Ive only ever seen it used here tbh.I understand why its used,but we all know what word its replacing.

If I was in a busy pub with my mates and it was taking ages to get served,and as it is we have another pub straight opposite.

I wouldn't say feck this lets go over the road,and I doubt many would....
    The E would be replaced with U.....yes it would don't fecking lie!.

Grand Master
    Inn rayl life wee carnt tel hif tha spoken wurd his spellt rong.oar cee punktuaytion forr eggsample.

Master

Yes, Im amazed at how "you're" and "your" are misused despite having entirely different meanings ;0)

Ive never actually used or overheard the word "feck" in any public place,or expect to hear any mates use it whilst talking.

Ive only ever seen it used here tbh.I understand why its used,but we all know what word its replacing.

If I was in a busy pub with my mates and it was taking ages to get served,and as it is we have another pub straight opposite.

I wouldn't say feck this lets go over the road,and I doubt many would....
    The E would be replaced with U.....yes it would don't fecking lie!.
    I think the persons location and their origin is a factor. If it’s not common where you are from, it does not mean it’s not used elsewhere.
    Words used in the north can be different to those in the south and vice versa, the Scottish vernacular is very different to the English, there is no right or wrong. Let’s face it the accent in the UK changes every 50 miles or so. It’s no surprise the language used changes as well.

We can’t discount the environment the word is used in. People might write Feck on here as our host has a strong view on offensive language in public areas of the forum.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st October 2023 at 10:15.

People might write Feck on here as our host has a strong view on offensive language in public areas of the forum.
    This is mostly why I use it here. In the pit I'll use the 'u'.

I do use 'feck' in real life in certain situations as well because it's softer.

Interestingly, I watched Quadrophenia with my 16 year old last night and I'd forgotten how much hard swearing there was in it, aside from the low-level racist language that must have been common at the time it was set, it's packed full of Fs and Cs. The C word still hasn't evolved for me and I wouldn't use it round the house, unless accidentally while talking about the Tory government. Sometimes the rage is too strong.

With mates, I'll use all kinds of language as that's how we were growing up - it was just how we communicated. But in front of the kids and proper grown ups I'll obviously moderate.

Feck and F#ck are entirely different words from eachother in Ireland. There is no sexual meaning at all in the word feck. It was only really widely introduced to England via Father Ted but seems to have taken a slightly different meaning in usage outside of Ireland and Irish communities.

Why not 'l'avion à New York'?

And would not the translation of your phrase in French be something like 'the plane bound for New York'?

Both languages achieve some economy in everyday use over their 'best use' equivalents. However, I do agree that the English version of something translated into several languages (eg warnings and instructions) is generally more compact.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Why not 'l'avion à New York'?

And would not the translation of your phrase in French be something like 'the plane bound for New York'?

Both languages achieve some economy in everyday use over their 'best use' equivalents. However, I do agree that the English version of something translated into several languages (eg warnings and instructions) is generally more compact.
    Because that means 'The plane in (at) New York'.

You have to use the verb in French to add meaning to the phrase.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    Feck and F#ck are entirely different words from eachother in Ireland. There is no sexual meaning at all in the word feck. It was only really widely introduced to England via Father Ted but seems to have taken a slightly different meaning in usage outside of Ireland and Irish communities.
    Indeed. My wife is from County Kerry Ireland and feck is an everyday word, happily sprinkled in conversation by all generations. Never really heard anyone say it in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because that means 'The plane in (at) New York'.

You have to use the verb in French to add meaning to the phrase.
    “You have to use the verb in French to add meaning to the phrase”...as you do with English sentences, but the phrase 'The New York flight' is not a sentence…there is no verb necessary to the translation being discussed.

This from Collins:

à preposition at, in, to, by

preposition (situation) in, (direction) to, (moyen, manière) with [...]

This translator agrees with your wording but lists i='to New York' as an alternative. See also GoogleTrans and this link for:

I. À introduit un complément désignant un lieu :

1. Le lieu vers lequel il y a mouvement, vers lequel on va. Je vais à Rome. J’irai jusqu’à Marseille. Porter une lettre à la poste. Jeter au feu. Je rentre à la maison. Envoyer à l’école. Retournez à votre place. Descendre à la cave. Le retour au pays natal. Un pèlerinage à Lourdes.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Timothy
    Sorry, father.

Really?
    So if I say the plane to NY you’re not understanding the plane we’re giving to NY in English but you do in a language you don’t speak?

??????
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Really?
    So if I say the plane to NY you’re not understanding the plane we’re giving to NY in English but you do in a language you don’t speak?

??????
    I do speak French BTW.

In that case allow me to tell you that un avion (ou un vol) pour NY will be understood exactly as it is in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In that case allow me to tell you that un avion (ou un vol) pour NY will be understood exactly as it is in English.
    It's not grammatically perfect though whereas the English version is

if you use /.../ 'eg' rather than e.g. or 'for example' then you come over as uneducated
    Do you, though?

It is perfectly correct.
    It is true that English is usually more compact than many languages. Primarily because virtually any word can be a noun or a verb, thus saving the need to use 2 different ones. But the example you gave is not a valid one, even if your first turn of phrase is also correct. But the sort of correct you’d write to get maximum marks at a foreign language test. Think of it as the sort of correct a French-speaking Rees Mogg would make a point of using.
    You would not be deducted any mark in a French dissertation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its easier than Latin at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Timothy

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I was going through this thread and halfway through, I thought "this isn't complete until soapy chimes in" - and look, there it is.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    English, the greatest language (the way we use it) in the world even if it is a mish mash.

Our humour and play on words along with other traits has enabled us to stand up to many things with a smile.

The same when I was in the Army a sense of humour kept us going through dark times.

Last edited by bwest76; 22nd October 2023 at 11:14.

My favourite bit of English is the perfectly understandable and yet ridiculous ability to chop a tree down and then chop it up.

'The New York flight'

The stairs in New York?