closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Bezel Insert Policy

Rolex Bezel Insert Policy

Popped in to Rolex St James yesterday to have a new blue/red insert fitted to replace the black/burgundy on the 16710. Lady at the front desk informed me that as of 4-5 weeks ago the policy is to only do a like-for-like exchange and only if the existing bezel insert is damaged, e.g., scratched. Walked away quite disappointed.

I thought that had always been the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I thought that had always been the policy.
    Not for bezel inserts.

There are many on here who have visited RSJ, have them fit an alternative colour and retain the original.

You can always remove your insert, take the watch in and say you had a red/blue but it fell out.

Master
    To be fair the policy of not swapping inserts is the correct one. The alternative is that an unscrupulous person could sell the insert on the open market and then we have the frankenwatch issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Not for bezel inserts.

There are many on here who have visited RSJ, have them fit an alternative colour and retain the original.
    I'm not sure they do allow the return of the original bezel now.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I thought that stopped years ago. I remember asking for a black bezel for my Kermit years ago and getting one for £45? (Imagine that these days)

The way round it is to send it for service without a bezel

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    I thought that stopped years ago. I remember asking for a black bezel for my Kermit years ago and getting one for £45? (Imagine that these days)

The way round it is to send it for service without a bezel

Imagine when you send your pristine sub for a service and getting a bill for £730 + new bezel + the new crystal they say must be renewed, and the crown is dented............

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Agreed. I take the OPs post at face value.

Mine was changed from black to Pepsi in February 2017 and I was able to retain the black. At the time the technician at RSJ laughed when I said “presumably you will only allow a black or Pepsi bezel, as it’s a 16700”.

“No you can have the coke if you prefer, we are not that fussy!”.

The only criteria was they insisted on fitting the insert, rather than just selling one.

How times change.😀

Mike P would have regarded a 16700 with a coke insert a frankenwatch…🤣

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    They used to; there was a time when you could get all three inserts for a 16710.

Mine has a fresh coke insert and I still have the original faded insert. They even put it in a little Rolex tin to store it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They even put it in a little Rolex tin to store it in.

That tin must be worth gazillions now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    Popped in to Rolex St James yesterday to have a new blue/red insert fitted to replace the black/burgundy on the 16710. Lady at the front desk informed me that as of 4-5 weeks ago the policy is to only do a like-for-like exchange and only if the existing bezel insert is damaged, e.g., scratched. Walked away quite disappointed.
    Unbelievable but when you take a watch in for a service they are unreal in identifying a virtually impossible mark on a crystal dial or hands in order to replace them ?

I’m a fan of Rolex but it’s ridiculous at times and it’s only going to get worse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Unbelievable but when you take a watch in for a service they are unreal in identifying a virtually impossible mark on a crystal dial or hands in order to replace them ?

I’m a fan of Rolex but it’s ridiculous at times and it’s only going to get worse.
    The rules on servicing are there for a reason and If you don't like the policy, don't buy a Rolex, it's as simple as that.

I like the rules because they protect the quality and integrity of the product.

A Rolex watch with a Rolex bezel is not a frankenwatch.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The rules on servicing are there for a reason and If you don't like the policy, don't buy a Rolex, it's as simple as that.

How many posts like this will it take before Rolex will give you a free service?

I'm assuming you're on their books.

Master

Mick with the greatest of respect you don’t know the rules no one seems to the goalposts are being moved continuously , look at Haywoods recent issue and if it hadn’t been for the item being on CCTV - his name and reputation he would have been mugged off !!

How does this in any shape or form protect the brand , along with new crown bezel / bracelet and God knows whatever else needed also do this ?

Please explain the Rolex policy on this ??

I have also known of various people that have put all types of vintage and modern 4-5 digit Rolexes for service - movement only , to be told they wouldn’t service them because of the bracelet and it needed replacement, all of the bracelets were perfectly useable with no issues , send a few back in with a NATO strap and were then serviced ( this was years ago ) .

I’m a fan as well Mick but please look at some of this with some common sense .

How would you feel if you took your car in for a service and they insisted on replacing the windscreen along with a few scratched panels before they would do the job?

You are right though, if you don’t like it then don’t buy Rolex, which is why mine will be sold in the near future. It’s just not worth the hassle of owning them.

You can always remove your insert, take the watch in and say you had a red/blue but it fell out.
    Serial # might give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Serial # might give it away.
    Mine is 24 years old so could legitimately have any bezel in it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Mick with the greatest of respect you don’t know the rules no one seems to the goalposts are being moved continuously , look at Haywoods recent issue and if it hadn’t been for the item being on CCTV - his name and reputation he would have been mugged off !!

How does this in any shape or form protect the brand , along with new crown bezel / bracelet and God knows whatever else needed also do this ?

Please explain the Rolex policy on this ??

I have also known of various people that have put all types of vintage and modern 4-5 digit Rolexes for service - movement only , to be told they wouldn’t service them because of the bracelet and it needed replacement, all of the bracelets were perfectly useable with no issues , send a few back in with a NATO strap and were then serviced ( this was years ago ) .

I’m a fan as well Mick but please look at some of this with some common sense .
    I deal only with my local AD and he is a stickler for the rules because he wants to retain his dealership.

I bought a second hand GMT11 that had a black insert. I put it into service the day after I bought it with the AD who was accredited and he performed the full service and replaced the winder, the lens and at my request changed the insert from black to a coke. None of the old components were returned because the AD explained that Rolex knew that some of these ended up on fakes or frankenwatches. Rolex want their watches in top condition without any apologies as a form of brand protection. To be fair, this is common knowledge.

I think we just have to accept that Rolex want all of their watches being 100% and are doing their best to enforce these standards. Again we all know this and if anyone doesn't like it, it is better they wear another brand. The bracelet has to be 100% without the slightest defect and any hint of a defect means a
    service refusal. That is Rolex policy. Rolex would surely have specified the defect.

It's just a way of ensuring that when you see a Rolex in the wild, it will be perfect.

I deal only with my local AD and he is a stickler for the rules because he wants to retain his dealership.

I bought a second hand GMT11 that had a black insert. I put it into service the day after I bought it with the AD who was accredited and he performed the full service and replaced the winder, the lens and at my request changed the insert from black to a coke. None of the old components were returned because the AD explained that Rolex knew that some of these ended up on fakes or frankenwatches. Rolex want their watches in top condition without any apologies as a form of brand protection. To be fair, this is common knowledge.

I think we just have to accept that Rolex want all of their watches being 100% and are doing their best to enforce these standards. Again we all know this and if anyone doesn't like it, it is better they wear another brand. The bracelet has to be 100% without the slightest defect and any hint of a defect means a
    service refusal. That is Rolex policy. Rolex would surely have specified the defect.

It's just a way of ensuring that when you see a Rolex in the wild, it will be perfect.
    Yes, they seem to have forgotten the definition of customer and who actually pays their bills.

I know it won’t happen but if everybody said F U Rolex and stopped buying or paying for services, they’d soon change their tune.

Master
    Yes, they seem to have forgotten the definition of customer and who actually pays their bills.

I know it won’t happen but if everybody said F U Rolex and stopped buying or paying for services, they’d soon change their tune.
    Dave

I know a lot of people will agree with what you have said but we really know in our water that Rolex wants their watches considered as investments and this is a market niche which is serving Rolex well. Therefore a 50 year old Rolex must be in the same condition as a new one and this requires a no compromise regime of maintenance.

Either you live with it or you walk. I suspect for every one guy like you there is one like me. So their policy of tough love will prevail.

Can’t disagree with any of that Mick.

Grand Master
    Rolex need to remember who actually owns the watch and who's paid for it, the sheer arrogance of the brand knows no bounds.

Mine is 24 years old so could legitimately have any bezel in it.
    Rolex with any age on it will be a 'triggers broom'.

Master

That’s the point I think people are going elsewhere or are leaving them longer , 3 weeks to turn a watch around ?

Have they that much work on as it used to be 10-12 weeks and you were happy with that I don’t think they’ve got an increase of 3-400% in watchmakers have they ?

Craftsman
    Dave

I know a lot of people will agree with what you have said but we really know in our water that Rolex wants their watches considered as investments and this is a market niche which is serving Rolex well. Therefore a 50 year old Rolex must be in the same condition as a new one and this requires a no compromise regime of maintenance.

Either you live with it or you walk. I suspect for every one guy like you there is one like me. So their policy of tough love will prevail.
    You keep saying ` their ` watches but they belong to the CUSTOMER . If all these stupid rules and blocks they put in front of customers wanting things done to THEIR watches were advised before they purchased THEIR watch im sure sales would not be so good !

Grand Master
    How would you feel if you took your car in for a service and they insisted on replacing the windscreen along with a few scratched panels before they would do the job?

You are right though, if you don’t like it then don’t buy Rolex, which is why mine will be sold in the near future. It’s just not worth the hassle of owning them.
    Agree and 3 of my subs will be out the door leaving just 1.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    You keep saying ` their ` watches but they belong to the CUSTOMER . If all these stupid rules and blocks they put in front of customers wanting things done to THEIR watches were advised before they purchased THEIR watch im sure sales would not be so good !
    Exactly......like most things we "might" buy with promises,only to all dissappear once they've got your cash.

They now have you.

Master

Very good analogy on a car service, bugger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would love to see a copy of Rolex ‘policy’, assuming it’s written. More likely made up and then repeated with variation.

Or Fake

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    This thread has certainly been instructive, and reinforced my view that I’m not going to buy a damn thing from an organisation that treats its customers with such contempt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    As others have said either remove existing insert or buy an aftermarket bezel off the bay and fit it.
    Say to them you reckon you have an aftermarket bezel and can you have an original fitted.

Well this escalated!

My 2 cents; If you own a watch it's yours and you can do whatever you like with it. That doesn't mean the manufacturer has to offer to do it for you.

After many years of wearing the 16710 on the original black/burgundy bezel, I just fancied a different look. Until Thursday, I had assumed that Rolex's long-standing practice of fitting a different coloured bezel insert and allowing the customer to keep the original was still the norm. I think the disappointment came from having a practice, which I thought was current, being removed.

I do not doubt the policy as communicated to me by the lady at the front desk, but, as suggested, it would be useful to get written confirmation.

Thank you for the suggestions, but I would feel uncomfortable telling a fib to have a new bezel insert fitted. I will have to continue wearing the 16710 as it is.

Why on earth are you all taking Mick’s interpretation of this as gospel?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That tin must be worth gazillions now.
    About £15 on ebay!
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It's not my interpretation, most of it is what the local AD told me.

Once again it all boils down to a simple case that if you don't like Rolex rules, buy another brand and stop belly aching.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Is it cobblers then?

To be fair it’s not just what Mick said. There’s also the OP’s experience of not being allowed to have the bezel he wants on his watch, which seems to be a known policy, and the other comments about Rolex’s insistence on replacing imperceptibly damaged but expensive parts.

Master
    Blog Entries

Once again it all boils down to a simple case that if you don't like Rolex rules, buy another brand and stop belly aching.
    I’m the kinda guy who would prefer to buy another brand but also give Rolex a good slagging.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I’m the kinda guy who would prefer to buy another brand but also give Rolex a good slagging.
    Your best bet is just to forget all about Rolex and pretend they don't exist. Your life will be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Sadly, in your gap years the forum has gained a few 'experts' including the one you have engaged. He has been unable/unwilling to prove he owns a watch of any kind and revels in hoovering any sense of enjoyment out of pretty much any thread he gets involved with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Your best bet is just to forget all about Rolex and pretend they don't exist. Your life will be happier.
    Rolex really don’t make me happier or sadder either way.

Hard to frequent watch forums and pretend they don’t exist!

Difficult to pretend they don't exist if you watch sport, read certain magazines, newspapers, follow certain 'types' of people... the buggers, Rolex, are everywhere, almost omni present, they've practically constructed a branding panopticon*...part of the strategy obvs, clever. That's not even mentioning watch forums Mick.

*Gotta wonder if this was perhaps inspired by or an evolution from the time when they were supplying POW´s.

The branding- marketing is fascinating, the watches reliable and apparently increasingly investment grade. Very clever.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st October 2023 at 10:31.

You really are Rolex's number 1 useful idiot.

That is true for quite a few. But Rolex is an outlet for their frustrations in life:-)
    Every Rolex thread is an excuse for some to whine and bitch and moan. Personally, if I didn’t care for a brand, I would stop reading or commenting on related posts. And certainly would not make announcements ( repeated) of how I am not buying anymore or selling all of mine. As if anyone cares.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 21st October 2023 at 10:28.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That is true for quite a few. But Rolex is an outlet for their frustrations in life:-)
    Every Rolex thread is an excuse for some to whine and bitch and moan. Personally, if I didn’t care for a brand, I would stop reading or commenting on related posts. And certainly would not make announcements ( repeated) of how I am not buying anymore or selling all of mine. As if anyone cares.
    Indeed, Raj. I think we share a view on this phenomenon.

Tut, tut, tut people belittling other people over differing opinions about horological anachronisms. On a watch forum of all places. GRRRR.

Craftsman
    Makes me wonder about those who wear subs. and sea dwellers for what they were made for in their professional life. Watches that are/were promoted as tough, rugged, dependable etc. So, when the sat. diver, for example, dinks his Rolex on the chamber door and next year puts in for service for whatever reason. Is it reasonable to tell him he needs a new case or bracelet before Rolex would service it? I think not. Those watches were not designed to be fashion accessories that would at worst suffer a quick desk dive or bounce off a pub bar and must always be pristine cosmetically.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app