closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko 62GS in addition to KS?

Lightbulb Grand Seiko 62GS in addition to KS?

Okay enablers. I have this King Seiko, from around 1968 I think, which has rapidly become my go-to "nice watch"...

I've found a Grand Seiko 62GS, day date version, of about the same vintage with the early dial and hands (flatter than the subsequent ones). It's in good condition, having just had a complete service by Seiko. I'm tempted, but I think I might just keep wearing the KS...

Anyone got both? I don't mean in a drawer, but as wearers? I'm not sure about the day date on the GS. But it's "historically important" for GS, and it's getting hard to find a good one. That Seiko will service it (honouring their view that a Grand Seiko is a "generational timepiece") is also a plus.

But would I wear it in addition to the KS...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

I've found a Grand Seiko 62GS, day date version, of about the same vintage with the early dial and hands (flatter than the subsequent ones). It's in good condition, having just had a complete service by Seiko. I'm tempted, but I think I might just keep wearing the KS...

Anyone got both? I don't mean in a drawer, but as wearers? I'm not sure about the day date on the GS. But it's "historically important" for GS, and it's getting hard to find a good one. That Seiko will service it (honouring their view that a Grand Seiko is a "generational timepiece") is also a plus.

But would I wear it in addition to the KS...?
    I can't answer for you but I have both and wear both. They are quite different watches - one a hand-wind three hander, the other an automatic day/dater. If I was going to get a 62GS as a regular but not daily wearer then I'd be inclined to go for the date-only version because the day complication is only semi-quickset in the 6246 whereas the date is properly quickset (and in both directions). The other considerations are asking price and whether the gold medallion is still present and correct.

Martin

Ah yes. I keep forgetting about vintage watches and lack of quickset. Part of the simple charm of the King Seiko is that there is no date. Semi-quickset day I presume means turning the hour hand back to 10pm~ and then forward to 2am~ to skip the days? Probably okay given the worst-case is having to do this 6 times when I pick up the watch. It's non-hand winding though, I also learned. That might be more tedious.

Price is very good (I think) given the manufacture complete service (May 2023) and it is currently running +- 2 seconds. It does have some minor pitting to the case, and some needle deterioration visible under magnification, but it's otherwise pretty good for its age. The medallion is present, but the original buckle (and strap, obviously) are absent.

I'm leaning towards passing on it, as despite the differences you correctly point out, the KS feels too similar. Or at least, within my little collection. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

I bought it

Paid by credit card. Fell asleep pondering if it would look okay on my KS grey strap.

Woke up in the morning, and the CC payment had not completed. Someone else has bought it now.

I should probably ask for this to be the default behaviour on my card.