closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Antiques Roadshow - again

Master

Antiques Roadshow - again

Rolex Oysterdate from 1980.

£3,500 - £4,000

I wonder if they get anything worth showing over and above Rolex.
    The watch on last nights show was completely dull and boring, (although quite a nice story behind it) They must have had a more interesting watch or clock to show turn up for appraisal.

I stopped watching it some time ago:

Claris Cliff jug, Lalique glassware, a medal, a Rolex, Polynesian or Africa spear or club, something from the Titanic, Stieff teddy bear, tin German toy from the 20s, a hideous doll, and the vintage car belonging to the owner of this week's stately home.

Rinse. Repeat.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

It used to be great, then Fiona Bruce took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post

The ultimate multi-purpose featherweight presenter / top Tory tossfodder.

The show's producers have obviously realised the public like to see mundane, commonplace things they might also own - hence Rolex and Omega every week.

The Populism epidemic infects all it touches...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Claris Cliff jug, Lalique glassware, a medal, a Rolex, Polynesian or Africa spear or club, something from the Titanic, Stieff teddy bear, tin German toy from the 20s, a hideous doll, and the vintage car belonging to the owner of this week's stately home.

Rinse. Repeat.
    The Antiques programme needs mass appeal to survive. Rolex watches will attract more viewers than say a Timex. Stamps, metal toys and Stieffs each have sizeable chunks of followers, so that's what you can expect to see.

If you are interested in say cufflinks, get ye to YouTube or Google because the Antiques Roadshow just will not show them and I say that as someone who used to collect cufflinks.

As per usual, the mass market always wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The Antiques programme needs mass appeal to survive. Rolex watches will attract more viewers than say a Timex. Stamps, metal toys and Stieffs each have sizeable chunks of followers, so that's what you can expect to see.

If you are interested in say cufflinks, get ye to YouTube or Google because the Antiques Roadshow just will not show them and I say that as someone who used to collect cufflinks.

As per usual, the mass market always wins.
    Would the unwashed masses not be interested in a dirty dozen, or Private Ryan Cooldge's war watch?

I sometimes watch the American version. Get a fair bit of interesting items. Old craft furniture, Native American items, pottery and glass ware. occasional Rolex and Cartier. Once in a while Patek, interesting PW's. Don't care about clocks

Master

Thumbs up

Dear Fiona

Just shut up and let us see some antiques.

Thank you.

Stopped watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Rinse. Repeat.
    At least the medals and militaria bloke didn't have a bit of a cry last night, seems to happen most weeks.

Agree, FB part woman, part cat, SMUG always and populism has ruined it.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th October 2023 at 14:38.

Stopped watching it when the people bringing stuff on knew more about it then the experts. Straight out of their stately pile and "look at me everybody" . Cat woman doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Agree, it'd be so much better with Diane Abbott.....

You can get Active Noise Cancelling for less than your budget.

Best budget ANC over ear headphones.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/head...ife-q30-review

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You can get Active Noise Cancelling for less than your budget.

Best budget ANC over ear headphones.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/head...ife-q30-review
    She's not that bad!

It's family friendly telly that's all

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I don't mind her on it except for one glaring exception. In the good, better, best segment they have each week she pretends she wishes she could afford the most expensive trinket. She not the only presenter (paid millions of pounds a year) to display this annoying trait admittedly, but her doing this is one of the regular examples and it does get my goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I don't mind her on it except for one glaring exception. In the good, better, best segment they have each week she pretends she wishes she could afford the most expensive trinket. She not the only presenter (paid millions of pounds a year) to display this annoying trait admittedly, but her doing this is one of the regular examples and it does get my goat.
    The two major points of irritation for me are the above segment as I'd rather see more valuations, and the awful habit that a lot of programs these days seem to have which is to waste a few minutes at the beginning of the show previewing what's coming up in this week's episode. I don't need to know - I'll see it as it's broadcast!

Got to appear to have something in common with the viewers, it’s actually rude

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Got to appear to have something in common with the viewers, it’s actually rude
    Indeed, I find it rude, patronising, and also insulting if they actually think we fall for it.

£400k from the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    £400k from the BBC

Still nearly 12x the average wage and she pretends she can't afford a necklace or brooch.