closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else love their job?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m so glad I don’t deal with the general public, I don’t think I could cope with them. My wife has to and some of the stories blow my mind on the stupidity, ignorance and entitlement, of all ages & backgrounds.

Seeing many comments on FB, I can fully believe how painful the public are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Funnily enough they're all really nice to me. If they weren't I'd pull the lever & drop them down to the meat pie factory.

Craftsman
    I worked a couple of seasons on the ski-train from Dover to the Alps while at uni. Trapped by an avalanche one weekend, I had a skier tell me to get him a helicopter so he could get home. I enjoyed working with the public, it's the odd balls you remember. Otherwise 20 years as an archaeologist in London, Kent, Beirut, Germany and Italy and when that went tits up, teaching English in Thailand, Saudi and Italy. Had a good time and great fun all round. Obviously, cold days, hard digging (it's not all brushes and trowels) on site and prats in the classroom, but that's life sometimes. Been very lucky.
    40 years working.....make sure you enjoy it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Funnily enough they're all really nice to me. If they weren't I'd pull the lever & drop them down to the meat pie factory.
    Once you've got them in the chair with their gob wide open, they're hardly in a position to argue!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    You command the power to ask if THIS hurts as you prod their mouth with a sharp metal implement! I’d be on best behaviour too lol.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You command the power to ask if THIS hurts as you prod their mouth with a sharp metal implement! I’d be on best behaviour too lol.

If anybody answers back I shove a tennis ball in there!

Also another dentist, qualified in 2010.

Love my job, love the technology. I can truly say it never gets boring.

If anyone ever fancies a look at what I get up to:

https://www.instagram.com/chia_yeoh_dentist/

Master
    I cannot understand why anyone would study to become a medical practitioner.

You will spend most of your time looking down into someones mouth, looking up their asshole or having to listen to them moaning about something or other.

Soul destroying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post

You're from the same neck of the woods as me. Great Ayton is my childhood home.....not that far from Yarm

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

You will spend most of your time looking down into someones mouth, looking up their asshole or having to listen to them moaning about something or other.

Soul destroying.
    Because some people want to help others instead of looking after number one all the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Because some people want to help others instead of looking after number one all the time.
    So what do you do?

Soul destroying.
    You're basically describing my married life here.

So what do you do?
    I am not decrying serving the public and I will not turn this pleasant threat in to an argument as you seem to love

... having to listen to them moaning about something or other.

Soul destroying.

QED. I often wonder why people choose to come on here for much the same experience.

Master
    I am not decrying serving the public and I will not turn this pleasant threat in to an argument as you seem to love
    I gave 3 reasons why I would not consider working as a medical professional. You are the one who came along came along and made it personal.

Master
    Such a great post to read OP, very refreshing.
    To be at the same place and 'do your job' without worrying about business for so long is a nice position to be in. Most doctors and dentists around me seem to branch into other revenue extension strategies and my impression anyway, is that they are more concerned about business than care. For example, the local GP practice has a couple of GP partners, but they are not often there and I noted that one of them set up a business of cosmetic surgery which I guess is more lucrative vs. earning an NHS fee per patient.

By the way, I still use a TePe toothbrush which was recommended by you on another thread some time back, so thanks again!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    QED. I often wonder why people choose to come on here for much the same experience.
    Masochism.

I gave 3 reasons why I would not consider working as a medical professional. You are the one who came along came along and made it personal.
    No I did not! I gave you a possible answer to your question. I never made it personal, you did by asking what I did for a living.

Master
    No I did not! I gave you a possible answer to your question. I never made it personal, you did by asking what I did for a living.
    You implied I was not interested in a medical career because I am more interested in looking after number one.

BTW I worked for the MOD for eight years, 22 years in the Post Office, so I spent thirty years serving the public.

You implied I was not interested in a medical career because I am more interested in looking after number one.

BTW I worked for the MOD for eight years, 22 years in the Post Office, so I spent thirty years serving the public.
    No I did not, I gave a possible answer, your inference to my answer is your problem.
    Let’s return this pleasant thread to its intended purpose.
    For what it’s worth I work for a multi national commercial property consultancy. I have given my view on my enjoyment below.

Blog Entries
    I did love my job for my career. I made a promise to myself if I ever lost the love of my job I would quit. I switch(ed) employer when the love died/dies and then I quit completely 3 years ago...
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master

Love seeing stuff like that.

I recall many years ago when I had my root canal done that the dentist had a vibrating needle for injections. Apparently a nerve can only transmit one signal at a time, so it says it’s being vibrated and doesn’t feel the prick.

No idea of that’s true or not, but certainly seemed to work at the time. He also had some clever drill that beeped when it hit a certain torque / resistance. Again, might be the norm but it was my only experience of such an invasive procedure.

Love seeing stuff like that.

I recall many years ago when I had my root canal done that the dentist had a vibrating needle for injections. Apparently a nerve can only transmit one signal at a time, so it says it’s being vibrated and doesn’t feel the prick.

No idea of that’s true or not, but certainly seemed to work at the time. He also had some clever drill that beeped when it hit a certain torque / resistance. Again, might be the norm but it was my only experience of such an invasive procedure.
    Yes I saw that vibrating needle! stopps this firing on the nociceptive fibres (think of rubbing the area where you've hurt yourself)

So that sounds like either a rotary endodontic motor or an implant motor!

The digital side is crazy now, we're milling our own ceramics, we've got our own cone beam CT machine, we're 3d printing our own models and surgical guides! it just keeps getting more interesting every day!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes I saw that vibrating needle! stopps this firing on the nociceptive fibres (think of rubbing the area where you've hurt yourself)

The digital side is crazy now, we're milling our own ceramics, we've got our own cone beam CT machine, we're 3d printing our own models and surgical guides! it just keeps getting more interesting every day!
    Great time to be a dentist.

Master

That sort of stuff is so exciting for me.

Father needs new dentures, but isn't keen on being a 3D printed guinea pig (as he puts it), amazed his replacement set could be up to £6k for full top & bottom.

That is great taking that time off, you will love it for sure. I think it would probably encourage me to work on my exit plan, to be able to spend more time with kids as they grow up and not be working. Long school summer holidays together as a family would be amazing vs fitting in just 2 weeks.

I took 3 months off before I set up my own company, loved every second of it, the first long holiday since leaving uni. Was just a shame my mates were all at work!

We are all planning on giving it another 10yrs and all retiring about the same time. Be like being young & care free again, but with significantly higher disposable income to have fun with.

Told my wife today there is a difference between being off work with full pay on maternity and self funding time off work to help and if she thinks she has a live in maid to order about for a few months I’ll go stack shelves at Tesco.

Would be so good to retire in 10 years at still a young age and almost do it over again with no responsibilities and a couple of Porsches, that’s the way to do it! Life is either a collection of pie charts or one big Venn diagram and work is but one part yet dictates so much.

Blog Entries
    I qualified as a Train Driver last week after a very hard slog of a year learning (and even many more years applying for the role without success), and have now been allowed to drive trains on my own and I truly do love it. I will even more so once I settle in to solo driving more.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I qualified as a Train Driver last week after a very hard slog of a year learning (and even many more years applying for the role without success), and have now been allowed to drive trains on my own and I truly do love it. I will even more so once I settle in to solo driving more.
    Congratulations. I’d love to do that!

Dream job in so many ways. Congrats

Master
    I worked for one of the most desirable brands in the world for 21 years. It was voted “the coolest brand” twice if I remember correctly. I absolutely loved it. I got paid ok money to talk about something that I had a real passion for. It didn’t actually feel like work, just a fun hobby that I got paid to do.

Yes it morphed into something more serious over time and a lot of the fun got eroded away but I still loved it.

I took early retirement just coming up to two years ago. I now realise that the old full time job, PAYE was a means to an end and I don’t miss it one bit. I miss some of the people but that’s about it.

There are a small number of people on here who do know who I worked for and what I did. I am sure they’ll respect that I want to keep it private, largely as I don’t want it to interfere with my enjoyment of watches. Sorry if that’s a bit cryptic etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Me too. What I wanted to be as a young ‘un

Soul destroying.
    Not enough lunches on expenses?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Me too, always wanted to!

Master
    I started my own business 17 years ago, and whilst I like it, I wouldn’t go so far as to say I love it

That said, it gives me a lot of flexibility to spend time with the family, I have a three minute commute, and financially it’s done well, so realise I’m extremely fortunate

But the minute I have enough assets to retire, I’ll do so.

Congrats

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

i love whinging about my job ... does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I started my own business 17 years ago, and whilst I like it, I wouldn’t go so far as to say I love it

That said, it gives me a lot of flexibility to spend time with the family, I have a three minute commute, and financially it’s done well, so realise I’m extremely fortunate

But the minute I have enough assets to retire, I’ll do so.
    That was my thinking too, and I ran my business - a management consultancy - successfully for 15 years. Then COVID came along, the business went to the wall and I lived off savings for 18 months (I was in the unfortunate cohort not covered by furlough). Coupled with that, Bea's mum went into a private care home 2 years ago, which is again eating into savings.

Luckily, I've been working in a role that I love for the past 30 months, but it's all made our retirement planning tougher than it should have been.

That’s great! Well done and enjoy your new career.

Master
    That was my thinking too, and I ran my business - a management consultancy - successfully for 15 years. Then COVID came along, the business went to the wall and I lived off savings for 18 months (I was in the unfortunate cohort not covered by furlough). Coupled with that, Bea's mum went into a private care home 2 years ago, which is again eating into savings.

Luckily, I've been working in a role that I love for the past 30 months, but it's all made our retirement planning tougher than it should have been.
    IR35 was going to see me struggle if I carried on solo, but loved the variety & flexibility on working I had with my own company. Was extremely lucky on my timing back to PAYE, as would have been in a similar situation to you with this.

Fingers crossed the new role, with their pension contributions etc is getting you back on track mate.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    There are a small number of people on here who do know who I worked for and what I did. I am sure they’ll respect that I want to keep it private, largely as I don’t want it to interfere with my enjoyment of watches. Sorry if that’s a bit cryptic etc
    I assume it wasn't rocket science. It you want to keep it private, then don't post about it. I doubt anyone gives 2 hoots.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    i love whinging about my job ... does that count?
    You're quite entitled to whinge, after all you never succeeded, Dan always came out on top !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I worked for one of the most desirable brands in the world for 21 years. It was voted “the coolest brand” twice if I remember correctly. I absolutely loved it. I got paid ok money to talk about something that I had a real passion for. It didn’t actually feel like work, just a fun hobby that I got paid to do.

Yes it morphed into something more serious over time and a lot of the fun got eroded away but I still loved it.

I took early retirement just coming up to two years ago. I now realise that the old full time job, PAYE was a means to an end and I don’t miss it one bit. I miss some of the people but that’s about it.

There are a small number of people on here who do tknow who I worked for and what I did. I am sure they’ll respect that I want to keep it private, largely as I don’t want it to interfere with my enjoyment of watches. Sorry if that’s a bit cryptic etc

Playboy?

Master
    I assume it wasn't rocket science. It you want to keep it private, then don't post about it. I doubt anyone gives 2 hoots.
    You're quite entitled to whinge, after all you never succeeded, Dan always came out on top !
    Ah such positivity! Buckfast night?

Master
    I have just passed 35 years in my job, so I must love it to have stuck it so long. It hasn't been without difficult times, but in general I have loved it, and have worked with some fantastic people. Love the characters and the "craic" as we say in this part of the empire.
    I am now on the downhill slope, and really in rehearsal for retirement with my current shift pattern (1 week on, 2 weeks off). On permanent nights, but it gives me so much time with my children, and also time to manage my rental properties, that it hardly seems like work.
    If health allows I will work six more years, then relax into horizontal mode.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I trained as a Jazz Composer and still do that now, part time. I also have a part time job as a book keeper/administrator. I actually love both jobs. The book keeper job gives me a degree of routine and a steady income. The Jazz Composer job gives me a creative outlet and a fascinating insight into music. They seem to compliment each other perfectly. If I get bored/stale with one job I focus on the other until I get my mojo back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have always enjoyed the work I have done and it's given me a lot of entertainment and the ability to travel which was great ...

I started as a hardware engineer for a defence giant then moved to a networking company designing ASICs; the insides of silicon chips rather than running shoes ...

Then moved into marketing for tech companies as it paid better than being an engineer (a situation reversed now I believe).

I quit the corporate role 20 years ago and have been self-employed since then as a general marketing consultant, that went well until my dad died aged 64 and I started to question what I was doing with my time.

I now only work limited part time ... I guess my position is I enjoyed the work but I enjoy my hobbies and holidays more so I try to do more of those than work ...

I'm keen on sports and have been to world championships in two different sports and also get involved in the administration of sports as a volunteer so that is where I'd rather spend my time rather than helping someone else make more money ...
    Last edited by Montello; 16th October 2023 at 12:56.

I've enjoyed my job, in IT, at times.

I've been well paid in the past (per hour, I still am) and enjoyed travelling to Europe and the US in previous roles.

I can't pretend the recent years have been joyful ones, though.

It's always nice when people tell you you've done a good job and the team I work with do get such praise frequently and I like working with people who are keen to do a good job and work as a team, rather than climbing all over each other for personal gain (I've seen that too, in the past).

I like working still (61) and don't plan to give it up anytime soon, but I'd rather be doing something slightly more, personally, rewarding than the current role.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Dream job in so many ways. Congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Congrats

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    That’s great! Well done and enjoy your new career.
    Thank you for your kind words gentlemen, it's much appreciated. Haven't been on much of late, sorry for late response.

G

I wouldn't say I love my current job but I enjoy it. At the moment I'm a maintenance engineer working for a small electronics company. We have a load of old machines that need constant maint ! so I am kept busy making new parts and fitting them to various machines. Keeping the wheels of industry turning. Lol.
    I have a workshop with a lathe and milling machine which I keep spick and span along with all the other usual workshop type stuff. In there I'm as happy as a pig in poop and I'm generally left to my own devices.

I worked for myself for a long time when for various reasons I decided to get back into mainstream work and get a 'normal' job ! Ive always been an outgoing type of bloke and truth be told, I think I found working for myself very isolating. It got to a point where I just wasn't enjoying what I was doing, it was a slog going into my workshop at the bottom of the garden! it also wasnt taxing my brain anymore.

Everyone is different I suppose. I enjoy the process of going to work, having 'bants' with the staff and generally winding people up with lame old japes I will likely move on at some point but at the moment everything is A-OK

Master
    Blog Entries
    I work for HMRC and I really like my job!!

Master
    I work for Royal Mail as a postman and love it:) Crap employer but it is a great outdoors job as I live in the greener parts of the Uk. The exercise keeps me fit and healthy (10 miles of walking a day). Decent hours, 3 minute walk to work, as much OT as I want. Easy life .

It makes a refreshing change from my previous jobs in Londons Soho where for 20 years I was sat looking at screens (TV and film) all day. I’m only 51 ,mortgage free , daughter is in a decent school,and most importantly we are all enjoying life whist we are still fit and healthy.