closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tried to get a Shingles vaccination

Tried to get a Shingles vaccination

Saw the adverts on TV saying now available for over 65s, I know a couple of people who have had it fairly recently and both were unwell for quite a long time so thought it was a good idea to get one, I called the doctors to arrange it and was told I wasn’t eligible because I was 65 before 1st Sept 2023, I got her to double check and she confirmed it. She said I will be eligible in 2027, has someone in the NHS cocked up? The older you are the longer you have to wait for it!

If you were 65 before 1st September 2023 then you are not eligible until you are 70 (according to the NHS website).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The vaccine is a good thing as indeed shingles is no fun but the protection offered is quite low I believe. Not enough for me to pay for it now (I’ll be 65 in July) but I’ll have it next year if there is still an NHS
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Saw the adverts on TV saying now available for over 65s, I know a couple of people who have had it fairly recently and both were unwell for quite a long time so thought it was a good idea to get one, I called the doctors to arrange it and was told I wasn’t eligible because I was 65 before 1st Sept 2023, I got her to double check and she confirmed it. She said I will be eligible in 2027, has someone in the NHS cocked up? The older you are the longer you have to wait for it!
    It's a 5 year roll-out and depends on when you are either 65 or 70 - which makes it a bit confusing.

This should help:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Doesn't seem to make sense to me!

I had shingles in 1982 aged 24 when training hard (running) and working long hours, a classic case of becoming chronically tired and falling victim to this illness. Didn't have it again till Jan 2021, 2 days after my 63rd birthday, I was ill for 6 weeks and still suffer mildly with post herpetic neuralgia, a permanent discomfort around the site that was affected.

I don`t want it again, it's a nasty illness and anything I can do to minimise the chances of getting it is worth doing. When I enquired about the vaccine I was fobbed off and didn't pursue it, might be worth asking again but according to the info shown here I have to wait till 70 to get it free! Ironically I`m on the 'at risk' list for Covid jabs even though I don't think I should be, due to having low grade lymphoma (treated successfully) in 2014 and having no relapse since.........logic seems to go out of the window with the NHS sometimes!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Doesn't seem to make sense to me!

I had shingles in 1982 aged 24 when training hard (running) and working long hours, a classic case of becoming chronically tired and falling victim to this illness. Didn't have it again till Jan 2021, 2 days after my 63rd birthday, I was ill for 6 weeks and still suffer mildly with post herpetic neuralgia, a permanent discomfort around the site that was affected.

I don`t want it again, it's a nasty illness and anything I can do to minimise the chances of getting it is worth doing. When I enquired about the vaccine I was fobbed off and didn't pursue it, might be worth asking again but according to the info shown here I have to wait till 70 to get it free! Ironically I`m on the 'at risk' list for Covid jabs even though I don't think I should be, due to having low grade lymphoma (treated successfully) in 2014 and having no relapse since.........logic seems to go out of the window with the NHS sometimes!
    You can't catch shingles mind....it's only possible to get it if you've had Chickenpox at an earlier age. Being run down is a likely factor in reactivating the virus which lies dormant in your body forever.

Master
    I had shingles 4 years ago at 43 being 4 weeks into a new stressful job & a very new commute on train & tube, having spent the rest of my life in a car driving as my commute.

I have never known so much discomfort & frankly never want to have it again if I can avoid it. I still occasionally hurt where the epicentre of it was. A month after having it, a long haul flight was extremely uncomfortable as were the sun beds.

Had not realised there was a vaccine available for it, not that it matters as am some long way off the target audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I had my shingles vaccine about 7 or 8 years ago. I had a phone telling me I was due and it was done within a week or so.

The nurse who done the jab told me that I may still get shingles but if I did get it, it would be nowhere near as bad as the real thing. She also said this was one of the most useful vaccines anyone could have.

I can't remember any aches or pains afterwards.

I must admit I am surprised about delaying the age group as stated by the OP.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    You can't catch shingles mind....it's only possible to get it if you've had Chickenpox at an earlier age. Being run down is a likely factor in reactivating the virus which lies dormant in your body forever.
    Yep, I learned that many years ago, but my understanding is that the vaccine prevents recurrence. Almost everyone's had chicken pox at some point in their life so everyone's at risk of suffering a bout of shingles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Yep, I learned that many years ago, but my understanding is that the vaccine prevents recurrence. Almost everyone's had chicken pox at some point in their life so everyone's at risk of suffering a bout of shingles.
    I downloaded my NHS App a couple of years ago merely to prove that I had the latest covid jab why flying out to Spain.

Much to my surprise there was a record of all my childhood illnesses and vaccinations such as polio and TB.

Tried to get a Shingles vaccination

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It's a 5 year roll-out and depends on when you are either 65 or 70 - which makes it a bit confusing.

This should help:

R
    Chart seems unnecessarily complicated.

If you were born 1/9/58 to 31/8/63 you can get it from your 65th birthday. Similarly for the 70 y.o. cohort.

Not sure why they need program years. Or have I misunderstood something?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 13th October 2023 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Chart seems unnecessarily complicated.

If you were born 1/9/58 to 31/8/63 you can get it from your 65th birthday. Similarly for the 70 y.o. cohort.

Not sure why they need program years. Or have I misunderstood something?
    Don’t you think it’s backward, younger people are entitled to it first, my birthday is in July, I now have to wait until 2027 yet if it was September I get it now, it’s screwed up

My GP doesn’t do them privately, local private hospital are coming back to me on Monday,

Craftsman
    If you are concerned about shingles and don't qualify for a free one, then get a private vaccination, Shingrix is now the one recommended as the one I had last year, Zostavax, is less effective, apparently.
    Not cheap, about £150 for two doses, but better than the alternative.

Don’t you think it’s backward, younger people are entitled to it first, my birthday is in July, I now have to wait until 2027 yet if it was September I get it now, it’s screwed up
    Yes, does seem odd.

Doesn’t really worry me though - had it twice now, just an uncomfortable rash I could put up with for a week.

Master
    I had the over 70s jab when it became due, as I had shingles when about 20 years old, and was VERY ill with it. Affected the nerves in my left arm, and I lost the use of that for months.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My GP doesn’t do them privately, local private hospital are coming back to me on Monday,
    I had it done a few years ago at Superdrug. May be worth checking it out if there’s one in your area.

I was lucky enough to get a dose of shingles in my eye a few years back, I was 46. Worst Xmas ever!

Quite tempted to get a private dose of the vaccine as I can't go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I had it done a few years ago at Superdrug. May be worth checking it out if there’s one in your area.
    Looks like Superdrug is £170 but haven’t got any and Boots is £450

Master
    Blog Entries
    and Boots is £450
    Diabolical!

Looks like Superdrug is £170 but haven’t got any and Boots is £450
    Wow. I wonder if they price match.