closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whittling?

Whittling?

Any whittlers here?

I've found myself strangely drawn to it lately and have just ordered a "the little book of whittling" and now about to look at a few knives (as I'm sure none of the other ones in my little stash will be up to the task).

Curious if there's any on the forum who partake and any tip/advice/inspiration? I've always enjoyed timber as a medium and it srikes me as a nice meditative pastime and a way to centre and get away from screens and the digital world.

Not expecting anything too impressive and aware of my lacking creative talent/inspiration but think I'll enjoy the journey.

(Photo most definitely stolen off the web)

Whittling?

Somewhat embarrassingly, I do like a bit of summer whittling. It's just very relaxing when sitting around. I've very little creative or craft ability. I just take a bit of wood and see where it takes me.

A good starting point is spoons. I quite like making small spoons for spice jars. They are easy, although you will need some form of gouge or Dremel to help create the bowl. Simple forms like fish are also good to start with.

I like using green wood, so freshly cut when growing. Only a small piece is needed. Sycamore is perfect. It's easy to work with and has a beautifully smooth surface. Birch, apple, pear, olive are pretty good. I don't like oak or beech.

I prefer a small traditional three blade Whittler pattern knife. Main clip blade one end and pen and coping blades the other end. Folding and legal. They look nice, but aren't cheap, although Rough Ryder is a pretty decent affordable Chinese make. Any knife can be used, Swiss Army, Opinel or the type you picture. A larger knife for roughing helps.

Some of my crude offerings (I don't mind members taking the piss - family does!). Also, a couple of Solingen made Whittlers. A beer barrel oak from Boker and olive from Robert Klaas made for an Australian retailer called Angus Barrett.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 12th October 2023 at 13:00.

I've whittled the odd thing in the past. Think I'll stick the book recommendation on my Christmas list, thanks.

The YouTube channel "Doug Linker" might be of interest:

Looks like a good way for me to lose a finger!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks @BillyCasper no need to be embarrassed, as long as you're enjoying yourself (and still have all your fingers) that's the main thing. Great work and thanks for sharing.

That hillbilly looks amazing @hogthrob

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The YouTube channel "Doug Linker" might be of interest:
    Another Doug fan. Small world. :)

I tried it several years ago, a friend used to "whittle" clinker made boats and showed me some techniques. I was utterly useless, didn't have the patience and was frankly lucky to come away with all my fingers intact. Adrian made these.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

When we go camping, one of the first things I will do after erecting the tent is sit down and whittle some utensils, usually with a beer or glass of wine to hand.

Boker knife has arrived and jumping straight into the hillbilly. Still a work in progress, rough and lots of mistakes but a nice way to pass the time.
    Last edited by Dean Learner; 21st October 2023 at 09:13.

Currently in NZ and had a peaceful hour to spare down by the lake. Time well spent.

Master
    Not whittling as such, but I make thumb-sticks for friends and family.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk