closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just one more microbrand

Master

Just one more microbrand

Seems Jody aka just one more watch, has launched his own brand.
    https://youtu.be/Ldc0TIZEsSo?si=R7I_WyISo3LhquHy

Overall I don't like it but it's got some nice bits. Some nice colours and a nice bracelet.
    Thoughts?

It’s a no from me
    He has taken design ideas from other micro brands and come up with a pastiche.
    Even his logo is kind of similar to another brand if you squint a bit.

It's alright I guess, nothing that hasn't been seen dozens of times before. Price is ok.

I like it, but it's a no from me, it's just not compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It's alright I guess, nothing that hasn't been seen dozens of times before. Price is ok.

I like it, but it's a no from me, it's just not compelling.
    My thoughts too, I feel like I've seen it before. It's as if you ask AI to produce you a microbrand diver and that's the result, it doesn't add anything new to the market.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's well specced for the price, but I agree there's nothing to inspire interest or enthusiasm. Visually it could not have much less to make it stand out from 1000 other micro-brand divers. Unless perhaps that it is the most generic of them all.

Given his following on YouTube I reckon this will do OK, and I hope that if it does he'll go on to make something more interesting. I do like the bloke and enjoy his videos.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 7th October 2023 at 16:37.

Master
    Exactly my thoughts sinnlover, it's homer Simpson's car.

Master
    I definitely like the blue one, and it's a reasonable price. I feel as though I've seen it before, but since I don't have whatever it looks like, that wouldn't be a practical disadvantage. It doesn't excite me though, and I won't buy one.

I prefer the colours with the black outline on the hands. The others look too close to Pelagos for me. I enjoy Jody's videos so hope they sell well, but they're not for me.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s a no from me
    Agree, looking at the photos first thing I thought was something new has come out from Limes in Germany.

Master
    I like the white on black and the white on blue with the black bezel, but I've had a Helm Vanuatu (two in fact) before and, whilst these are handsome looking pieces, they do have much the same feel. That's not a bad thing of course, but Helm do make fine watches.

He'll undoubtedly sell many nonetheless however.

Master
    Overall I like them and im a fan of the channel. The full blue and the teal are probably my favourites. The h link bracelet and the hands offer something slightly different but i agree its nothing really new. Although to offer something very different you probably have a lot of people comending your bravery and originality but few sales.

At least its offered at what seems a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    It's well specced for the price, but I agree there's nothing to inspire interest or enthusiasm. Visually it could not have much less to make it stand out from 1000 other micro-brand divers. Unless perhaps that it is the most generic of them all.

Given his following on YouTube I reckon this will do OK, and I hope that if it does he'll go on to make something more interesting. I do like the bloke and enjoy his videos.
    Agree with all of this. I enjoy his YouTube stuff but this is a very bland watch. The specs are great for the price though. Sapphire crystal, good lume, nh35 regulated to within reasonable spec and solid bracelet with quick release and microadjust on the clasp at $300 is pretty good.

Personally, I would have made the lume plots a bit larger to reduce the negative space and maybe added a little polish to the case but I understand the ethos seems to be what’s the most we can pack into a watch for the price, rather than what’s a great design. Ditto seems to have started with dimensions and made a case to fit, rather than design a case and work out the dimensions later.

Good luck to the guy. I wish him all the best.

Master
    It's a truly uninspiring design however, it just goes to show how hard it is to come up with fresh designs in today's market. All credit to him for getting it to market and perhaps it will help guide him, although he's one of the better YT "gurus", when critiquing other watch companies efforts.

It's not as easy as it looks!

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    It's a truly uninspiring design however, it just goes to show how hard it is to come up with fresh designs in today's market.

It's not as easy as it looks!
    It's not, even major brands struggle. Look at Zenith and Piaget. Even Rolex to some extend have just two main design styles and every model is just a variation of those.

And many big brands make one or two successful designs and loads of dogs' dinners.

To be honest, I like Jody and I would love to gush enthusiastically over his project, but it does seem far too 'safe' a watch to make any real impact.

There's nothing really horrible about it (I did consider a black or maybe white one and find the 'purple' one oddly appealing), but it's pretty generic, looking rather Helm like (and I have two of those already).

The spec at the pre-sale price is decent enough today, pretty much where most KS NH3* divers were 3 years ago, but most have added a $100 to the price since then.

Sadly, while I wish Erebus much success, there's nothing there to tempt me to add one to my collection.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 15th October 2023 at 19:45.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Wouldn’t be for me but it ticks all the requirements for a diver at a very low price .Right size and thickness, good lume , sapphire with AR coating, ceramic bezel , 200m wr .You’d have to wonder how he’s doing it at that price and making a profit .

Craftsman
    I think they look absolutely brilliant and very tool.

Super legible (white hand surrounds!!)
    - although the two hands are too similarly proportioned for genuine poor viz use. That said; I’d buy one …..ah, opportunity to make a thin watch missed. Not for me 😕

Master
    Not sure if this is the most informative review, but it might be the most entertaining:

Is that bloke trying to get a job on CBeebies?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    My thoughts exactly when I've seen his videos but seems very popular. Not for me.

As for these watches, just seem like your typical microbrand that constantly pops up on my facebook feed, nothing original or unique, but to be fair I guess that gets harder and harder in todays flooded market to carve your own style. Bland and generic would be the words I'd use.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 16th October 2023 at 14:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Trying far too hard to be wacky and it shows. These things have to come naturally and he’s no Kenny Everett.

Not sure he’d get onto CBeebies, but if he does I’ll have to stop watching it.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 16th October 2023 at 16:09.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    My thoughts exactly when I've seen his videos but seems very popular. Not for me.

As for these watches, just seem like your typical microbrand that constantly pops up on my facebook feed, nothing original or unique, but to be fair I guess that gets harder and harder in todays flooded market to carve your own style. Bland and generic would be the words I'd use.
    I'm inclined to agree. These look pretty generic. That said, he has a lot of experience in the low end/bang for buck space, and he makes a good case for the various design choices.

I think that they're a step above some of the Ali parts bin microbrand offerings, and at 300 quid (+/- import fees etc) you could probably do a lot worse.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s a no from me
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Trying far too hard to be wacky and it shows. These things have to come naturally and he’s no Kenny Everett.

Not sure he’d get onto CBeebies, but if he does I’ll have to stop watching it.

I knew I'd seen his videos before.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind the watches but Scurfa would be my go-to at that price point.

This is interesting. The Erebus guys visit their factory in Shenzhen:

https://youtu.be/QnQXSIraR4I?feature=shared

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    This is interesting. The Erebus guys visit their factory in Shenzhen:

https://youtu.be/QnQXSIraR4I?feature=shared
    Presumably they don't just do Erebus watches; I assume they do other brands in that factory. It would be interesting to find out.
    Not that I'm sceptical, but they didn't show the outside of the factory or much of the "back of house" areas.
    Probably because they were being filmed, but there wasn't a single smile amongst any of the workers.

The video only shows assembly. Presumably the parts are manufactured at various other locations?