closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boat Shoes?

Boat Shoes?

Well, my trusty Timberlands have finally died, before I just replace with the same - any other recommendations folks?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dubarry

Another vote for Sebago. Ive done a fair bit of sailing, not as much as my Dad and Brother - Fastnet, Americas Cup etc, and they always wore Sebago, chiefly because you can soak them in a bucket of freshwater when you’re on dry land and they air dry back to normal in a day or two. Everything else is a fashion shoe according to them!

I'd vote for Sperry.

Had two pairs of their Original Leather Boat Shoes and they've been the most comfortable, the grippiest and have lasted me longer than other brands over the years. They come in half sizes which I found gives me a better fit and didn't need much breaking in either.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quoddy get my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Dubarry
    This. Absolutely superb (and I have tried Sebago, Timberland and Sperry; they are all good but Dubarry are better IMO)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Timberland deck and boat shoes were my go-to for years, Sebago now.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Thank you all - Sebago ordered!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Sebago is better than Sperry in my experience but I would like to try Dubarry one day. Wearing in Sebagos can be quite vicious above the heel.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Sebago. Echo another poster’s comments about cleaning them in a bucket of fresh, then drying them.

Hello

Sebago / Dubarry / Sperry.

Any of those really.

Boat Shoes?

Timberland for me.

Really depends whether OP wants them for on a boat, or just casual wear (and no need to dunk them in a bucket of water).
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 6th October 2023 at 19:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sebago is better than Sperry in my experience but I would like to try Dubarry one day. Wearing in Sebagos can be quite vicious above the heel.
    That heel takes an age to break in.

2 eye boats seem to hurt me more than anything else, but the Sebago seem more harsh than Timberland.

Got a 3 hole pair of Timberlands at the moment and just don’t like them, bought as we’re in the sale and was a mistake. Those shoes don’t need a boot type tread compared to the classic sole.

Goddamn TZ! Just bought these:

On sale though so not much of a hit. I would never have paid £200 for them.

Blog Entries
    Sebago Clovehitch for me. I tried Dubarry once. The quality is outstanding but somehow the shape of their boat shoes doesn't 'comply' with my feet. Which is odd: their boots fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That heel takes an age to break in.

2 eye boats seem to hurt me more than anything else, but the Sebago seem more harsh than Timberland.

Got a 3 hole pair of Timberlands at the moment and just don’t like them, bought as we’re in the sale and was a mistake. Those shoes don’t need a boot type tread compared to the classic sole.
    Wore my old ones constantly but bought a pair nearly two years ago which I’ve barely worn as the break-in is so brutal. Never tried the timberland boat shoes but they do seem to be the default choice for most.

Never had to break in a boat shoe - they ride low on my heel, literally like slippers within a few hours from new. I guess we all have different feet. The killer for me are DM shoes - reduce my heel to a bloody mess, never again!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I favour Timberland over Sebago. I’m a sailor but have never worn them on a boat.

Master
    Im a massive fan of the timberland classic 2 hole boat shoes with white soles had loads over the years blue and brown a staple of my wadrobe, Ive recently purchased some grenson dempsey for the winter a bit chunkier and lovely leather on them

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Goddamn TZ! Just bought these:

On sale though so not much of a hit. I would never have paid £200 for them.
    Quoting myself as these arrived yesterday and are going straight back. Horrible things.

Colour was about 5 shades lighter in real life and trying to get them on and off was a joke, even with laces fully loosened. I don't know why I persist in experimenting with stuff I really know is never going to work

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Hhhmmm......I've generally been a fan of the Timberland ones but have recently tried out Sperry which I think I prefer more. I'd be interested to know however what exactly makes the Sebago 'better'.....especially if they are uncomfortable to 'wear in'? I've never had any issues with Timberland or Sperry....then again I found Redwing Ironrangers pretty comfy from day 1 too....maybe its just me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Never had to break in a boat shoe - they ride low on my heel, literally like slippers within a few hours from new. I guess we all have different feet. The killer for me are DM shoes - reduce my heel to a bloody mess, never again!
    You lucky bugger! Boat shoes, not the DMs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I had the timberland 3 eye classic boat shoes with the commando soles in the early 90s had about 5 pairs they were great

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hhhmmm......I've generally been a fan of the Timberland ones but have recently tried out Sperry which I think I prefer more. I'd be interested to know however what exactly makes the Sebago 'better'.....especially if they are uncomfortable to 'wear in'? I've never had any issues with Timberland or Sperry....then again I found Redwing Ironrangers pretty comfy from day 1 too....maybe its just me.
    I’ve only had one pair of Sperry and that was back in about 2005 so a lot may have changed but I considered sebago to be a bit more upmarket and stuck with them. Wide fit in Sebago seems to be hard to find these days so not sure what I’d pick this time.

Never had ironrangers but had most of the others, never had a width issue with redwing. Timberland boat shoes with the thicker sole are meant to be good but I’ve only had one pair with the traditional flat sole which was like walking bare foot.