closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling Rolex back to AD

Journeyman

Selling Rolex back to AD

Hi all,

I hope that we are all enjoying the festive period.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience selling back to their AD. Especially with the new certified pre owned scheme. I shop with WOS.

I have couple of pieces that I don’t really wear anymore. I’ve heard they only take watches over 3 years old…..but it’s a catch 22, if I ask them about it they will know I am considering selling….but to them can they really want to black list me?

Not sure if it’s playing with fire with one last watch on my hit list.

As ever, any advice on would be much appreciated

Master
    You bought from them, you're giving first refusal to them. I can't see a huge issue. People's tastes and circumstances change, they really wouldn't have much of a case to Blackball you just for wanting to downsize your collection.
    I suppose it depends slightly on the models and how long you've owned them - and particularly if you've bought anything else since. Meaning, it's far more logical for you to want to sell some models that have been superceded by new shiny things.

I wouldn’t do it. For a few reasons. One being that they aren’t going to pay you what you’d like or expect, if they can buy new directly from the brand(s) for significantly less than RRP - the VAT, why would they pay much more for yours?

If you trust a buyer, maybe sell to them.

As a last resort - maybe. You could tell them you’ve lost the love for it/them, but still want to try the model you’ve got an interest expressed in.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    The VAT is an interesting point, as I think they must operate it on the margin scheme. Purchasing from the public would mean you have no input VAT, so most second hand stuff is done on margin scheme….but this is WOS, not Chaz and Dave car forecourt

I’d assume margin scheme for their used watches - wouldn’t make much sense otherwise.

My main point being that a £7500 watch selling new in there might be bought at 42% off pre vat price, a lot less for certain brands, and a little more for others like the big R etc.

So maybe £4400 x 1.42(ish) £6250 x 20% = £7500

Given this type of example I just don’t see why a lot of sellers get upset at low main dealer offers on their used watches. If I was an AD I’d go for the new, fully warrantied by the manufacturer sell every time.

As a buyer I’d prefer in as good condition as possible, and as long a warranty as possible.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Why don't you try and make a deal to trade the two you don't want against the one that you still have on your list to try ?

Might be a great way to short circuit the wait list if there is a good amount of skin in the deal for the AD ?

Journeyman
    Slightly off the point but I’ve been looking into WoS used Rolex and Panerai recently. Yes the prices are high but in some cases you’re getting a watch that has had major components replaced - dials, bezel, crown, glass etc. so if you’re after a discontinued model it’s worth a look IMO. But no I wouldn’t sell to them, you’d get more with a private sale surely.

Craftsman
    If it was me I would not even waste my time asking WOS.
    You know they will probably lowball you and offer way less than the market price. I would expect every Rolex AD to do the same.

Obviously you can’t offer it here yet. But you could hover around the wanted section.

Have you tried offering to any of the resellers?
    Maybe start with Watchfinder. It’s a painless process.

It will at least give you an idea.

Master
    This may help. You can get a valuation from their site. Use a different email if you are worried about blowing your cover I guess!

Plus, as said above, it will be low. Probably much lower than WF etc.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/sell-my-watch

Master
    In 2019 I bought a 126300 DJ41 from WoS for £5450. This year I traded it back to them against a 124060 Submariner & they gave me £6350 for it. Had I been looking for a straight sale on the DJ41 they'd have given me £6000.
    I also approached them about my 2020 James Cameron but they decided they didn't want that one. I sold it privately as I'm looking for a Fifty Fathoms.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would simply sell to the trade, you'll get more and they will never know.

Craftsman
    If you do down this route, I would suggest checking against say Watchfinder or similar to make sure your getting a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I wouldn’t do it. For a few reasons. One being that they aren’t going to pay you what you’d like or expect, if they can buy new directly from the brand(s) for significantly less than RRP - the VAT, why would they pay much more for yours?

If you trust a buyer, maybe sell to them.

As a last resort - maybe. You could tell them you’ve lost the love for it/them, but still want to try the model you’ve got an interest expressed in.
    I would assume based on the wording of the OPs post that these are in demand Rolex’s. In which case they can only buy a very limited about new from Rolex. I’d also be surprised if they implemented this scheme without planning on paying close to what the greys would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I would assume based on the wording of the OPs post that these are in demand Rolex’s. In which case they can only buy a very limited about new from Rolex. I’d also be surprised if they implemented this scheme without planning on paying close to what the greys would pay.
    Those days are fading fast.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Writing as a Rolex fan-chap:

The greedy CPO scheme was poorly conceived, impossibly badly timed and symptomatic of a corporate arrogance many have perceived in the last decade or more.

Bye, bye, bye, De Leyser.

A good friend tried it in Glasgow.
    2 x watches, a comex sd and a stone dialled Daytona so not exactly run of the mill stuff. Ideal for their pre owned display you’d think?
    Pictures and info had to go to London but the resultant offers were pitiful.
    He refused their offer.