closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hirsch straps, quick release springbars

Grand Master

Hirsch straps, quick release springbars

Just fitted Hirsch Crocograin strap, supplied with quick-release springbars.

I really don't like them so I decided to replace with a conventional one, I also wanted to use a thinner springbar because clearance between the strap and case is limited, a 1.5mm will give a better fit. I`ve had Cousins straps with these before and managed to wriggle them out easily, not so in this case, the Hirsch ones are substantial and it isn`t possible to get them out without risking damage to the strap.

Here's the watch with the strap fitted using normal 1.5mm bars, I`d already done the swap when I decided to take some pics.

So, how did I get the others out without damaging the strap? Easy, take a pair of small pointed-nosed pliers, grip the protruding part taking care not to mark the strap, and twist back and forth, it's press-fitted and comes out v. easily. Springbar can then be pushed out and replaced with a proper one!

I was surprised how easily the protruding bit separated, it got me thinking whether it's possible for it to separate during normal use and if it did the springbar would be v. difficult to remove from the watch. These things make strap changing easier and I guess that appeals to some folks, but I'd prefer that Hirsch didn`t fit them. I like Hirsch straps but this is a backward step in my view.

I can't stand quick release bars and either avoid any strap fitted with them or remove them, but I've never been happy with the gap that's left. It looks like the perfect weak spot where the strap could tear.

Nearly all manufacturers are using them now.

Master
    I bought a dark brown leather Hirsch strap with a quick release for my JLC Powermatic. It's was a breeze to fit and I can't see what's not to like.

Grand Master
    When I fit a strap I like to fit the optimum size of springbar to fit the holes in the case snugly. In the example I've featured the strap sits close to the case and a 1.8mm bar causes the strap to be squeezed against the case. A 1.5mm (actually 1.45) allows the strap to rotate around the bar and just allows clearance against the case (just!) That's a better fit than using the quick release items that were 1.8mm. This might sound pedantic but it's all part of getting the best fit.

Changing a strap isn`t difficult with the correct tool, Hirsch are solving a problem that doesn`t need solving in my view.

The only time I like them is on g-shocks. Otherwise I avoid buying straps with them fitted for the reasons the OP gave, plus the tip is too small a diameter for say a Seiko divers watch.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Changing a strap isn`t difficult with the correct tool, Hirsch are solving a problem that doesn`t need solving in my view.
    I agree Paul.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    When I fit a strap I like to fit the optimum size of springbar to fit the holes in the case snugly. In the example I've featured the strap sits close to the case and a 1.8mm bar causes the strap to be squeezed against the case. A 1.5mm (actually 1.45) allows the strap to rotate around the bar and just allows clearance against the case (just!) That's a better fit than using the quick release items that were 1.8mm. This might sound pedantic but it's all part of getting the best fit.

You know what you are doing but the average bloke doesn't and stands a fair chance of scratching the watch and we read enough about that here. Quick release straps just make life easier for the average Joe Bloggs.

Master
    I really like them - curious to know what's not to like? Less reliable? I've had four or five of them I think and have never found the little lever obtrusive. Perhaps there's a danger it could get caught in a sleeve?

I’m also a fan. I don’t get too bothered about scratches behind the lugs but QR is just easier and frankly, I’ve never seen any evidence that they’re any more prone to failure than regular spring bars. Ditto straps darling apart around the little hole is not something I’ve seen but it’s all anecdotal.

Grand Master
    Discounting the risk of them accidentally getting opened (realistically I can`t see how this could happen) I guess they're OK provided the 1.8mm width isn`t a problem. Old habits die hard with me, I rarely use the springbars provided with straps, I prefer to fit the ones I keep a stock of and select which is most appropriate. anyhow, if anyone wants to remove them from a Hirsch strap I`ve shown how easy it is to do.....provided a fine-tipped pair of pliers are to hand!

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I fit a strap I like to fit the optimum size of springbar to fit the holes in the case snugly.
    Sounds sensible; how do you measure the size of the hole in the lug?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Sounds sensible; how do you measure the size of the hole in the lug?
    Estimate is more like it, I press a piece of Rodico in the hole and measure the witness mark with a digital caliper and magnifier, alternatively try a few springbars and find what fits. On a strap watch they don’t need to be snug but on a bracelet you end up with play in the endpieces, only slight but it’s there. I’m more concerned with gold watches, I don’t like the springbar rotating in the hole and I’d rather fit a springbar that’s slightly loose in the strap, that gives the springbar more chance of staying put in the lug and not rotating. Can’t get brass springbars thesedays, they would be better for gold.

Back to the Hirsch straps, how do they get the springbars in initially?

I still think the protruding bit’s too big!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was surprised how easily the protruding bit separated, it got me thinking whether it's possible for it to separate during normal use and if it did the springbar would be v. difficult to remove from the watch. These things make strap changing easier and I guess that appeals to some folks, but I'd prefer that Hirsch didn`t fit them. I like Hirsch straps but this is a backward step in my view.
    I recently pulled a similar springbar out of a strap with a pair of pliers without having realised they were quick release ones (great powers of observation, me).

The protruding bit just pinged off without my having to pull noticeably hard on the end of the springbar. I don't think they are strongly attached at all.

Hirsch straps, quick release springbars

The Wolbrook skin diver I had last year was fitted with these quick release spring bars, and that little protrusion was screwed in, rather than push-fit.
    Tiny threads and a bit of a devil to screw back in, but seemed more robust than the push-fit option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    The Wolbrook skin diver I had last year was fitted with these quick release spring bars, and that little protrusion was screwed in, rather than push-fit.
    Tiny threads and a bit of a devil to screw back in, but seemed more robust than the push-fit option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Was just going to say the same about the ones that I've encountered - the small "lever" has been screwed in.. Personally I quite like the convenience of being able to do a quick tool-free strap change, despite having no issue with doing standard straps. I have a CW GMT which came with a very good quick release bracelet (different kind of mechanism) and also happens to look good on a leather or rubber strap. It works well as a holiday watch (I know how some people on here love that expression ) and not having to faff around with a spring bar tool whilst sipping a cold beer on the balcony is a definite plus in my book.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    Was just going to say the same about the ones that I've encountered - the small "lever" has been screwed in.. Personally I quite like the convenience of being able to do a quick tool-free strap change, despite having no issue with doing standard straps. I have a CW GMT which came with a very good quick release bracelet (different kind of mechanism) and also happens to look good on a leather or rubber strap. It works well as a holiday watch (I know how some people on here love that expression ) and not having to faff around with a spring bar tool whilst sipping a cold beer on the balcony is a definite plus in my book.
    If you're seriously changing straps whilst on holiday you need help, you're taking something far too seriously.

Craftsman
    If you're seriously changing straps whilst on holiday you need help, you're taking something far too seriously.
    We're discussing spring bars on an internet watch forum. I think most folk would say we passed "taking something too seriously" a long time ago

Master
    Springbars are the work of the Devil. The evidence?

1 'Strap changing marks' on watches in Sales Corner.
    2 A gold Ulysse Nardin 'San Marco' that fell from my wrist as I walked down the street.
    3 The springbar that 'secures' - ho, ho, ho - the 'adjustable' - ho, ho, ho - fold-over clasp on my Rolex.
    4 The fact that there is no tool on the market to release springbars without the danger of damaging lugs or straps.
    5 The fact that they come not only in different lengths, but also diameters, which many watch-owners don't know, can't measure and jewellers don't stock anyway.
    6 Over time, they cause damage to the holes in the lugs.
    7 The 'ear', "pole" [sic], 'clip' on quick-release springbars can damage the case on some watches.
    8 These ears or whatever are fragile and, when they come off, make cutting the strap & bar the common solution to the problem.
    9 Springbars cost pennies, but serve watches that can cost tens of thousands of pounds - a naive expectation.
    10 Mmm ... well, I might have over-stretched myself now ...

An improvement? Easy, peasy, Micronesy ... fixed bars and glue-on/clip-on straps. Not perfect, but better.

Master
    I personally like the way Panerai and Helson have approached the design of their bars, especially the former in a 1950 case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why I almost never change straps on watches with spring bars. No matter how careful, no matter how much pre-emptive taping, you are bound to catch something. I have one watch I’m prepared to do it on, and even that is a heart in the mouth experience as it’s a GS and the back of the lugs is mirror polished. Why Grand Seiko, why?

There is an instagram crowd that constantly swap bracelet to strap, but it would drive me insane.

Panerai’s interchangeable strap system is the best I have found.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Best advice I can give regarding tool and use a magnifier! Work under a strong light and ideally clamp the watchhead in a case clamp. A strip of tape on each lug is a safeguard against the springbar dragging and leaving a mark.

I use 3M Magic Tape, and even then the tip of the bar seem to find a way of getting between the lug and the tape (!), although it does stop it dragging across the back surface.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk