closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a con.

What a con.

Many years ago, I remember getting done for speeding, can't remember how fast, but it was in a 30. Paid the fine, took the points and I certainly don't recall there being much if any extra financial impact on subsequent renewals. My, how things have changed. Earned an SP30 recently, and the current insurers want to load my premium by an additional 25%. As my insurance was up for renewal, I received one of those automated emails from Compare the market, with quotes. So I called the cheapest one, who'd quoted 148, and upon disclosing the SP30, it went up to 240. This stinks of insurers taking the proverbial piss.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Who's that with?

I'm with 1st Central and got an auto renewal quote last year, but I'd recently got an SP30 so called them to adjust the policy and it made zero difference. I will admit I was slightly surprised by that but I wasn't complaining.

If you break the law by speeding you are seen as an increased risk to do it again. I’m not surprised your premium has increased.

Were you not offered a speed awareness course?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thechatteringclasses View Post
    Many years ago, I remember getting done for speeding, can't remember how fast, but it was in a 30. Paid the fine, took the points and I certainly don't recall there being much if any extra financial impact on subsequent renewals. My, how things have changed. Earned an SP30 recently, and the current insurers want to load my premium by an additional 25%. As my insurance was up for renewal, I received one of those automated emails from Compare the market, with quotes. So I called the cheapest one, who'd quoted 148, and upon disclosing the SP30, it went up to 240. This stinks of insurers taking the proverbial piss.

Sounds fair

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Who's that with?

I'm with 1st Central and got an auto renewal quote last year, but I'd recently got an SP30 so called them to adjust the policy and it made zero difference. I will admit I was slightly surprised by that but I wasn't complaining.
    It was 1st Central who bumped it up almost 100 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Sounds fair
    You in the insurance game then.

If you are suggesting that all underwriters are loading policies for those with speeding endorsements - that kind of negates it being a competative market - which it clearly is.

Search around - someone will be undercutting without reducing cover.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Were you not offered a speed awareness course?
    I believe there are two conditions for offering the speed awareness course:

- Speed not massively over the limit e.g. you weren't doing 50 in a 30
    - You can't have done one before

Master
    Not really sure it’s a ‘con’
    Maybe they think your not law abiding

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

Indeed, 50 in a 30 would put you well outside the required conditions. You can have done one before, but I believe there is a three year limit.
    My question to the OP was basically a polite way of asking was he either going too fast or has he recently (as in the last 3 years) done a course.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 29th September 2023 at 19:24.

Master
    Blog Entries

Nope. Keep to the speed limit & you’ll be fine. I recently got two speeding tickets on one journey. 57mph & 59mph on the motorway in my Land Rover at 1am in the morning. I just sucked it up. No point whining about it.

Master
    Base insurance prices have rocketed and are taking the proverbial. My Cayman went from about £160 to £300 before my wife’s speeding was added to it. Only change until then was another year of me not crashing or claiming.

Her 3pts added £60 to the cost and likely will do for the next 5 years.

Strange that insurers wish to charge an additional premium to people who exceed the speed limit? I wonder if anyone has done any research to determine if people driving too fast have an increased risk of being in an accident?

Master
    Mines increased £50 each year for the last 3 years I’ve no points and no claims - there just trying to make more money
    1st year was a 30% increase for basically being a year older and wiser

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Strange that insurers wish to charge an additional premium to people who exceed the speed limit? I wonder if anyone has done any research to determine if people driving too fast have an increased risk of being in an accident?
    Hardly strange and even if not an increased risk there will be more serious consequences if someine is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did you read the OP? He is asking why a massive loading now, and not many years ago, for the same offence.

Not true. SWMBO had a speed awareness course about 7 years ago and just been offered another one.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Not true. SWMBO had a speed awareness course about 7 years ago and just been offered another one.

R
    It’s possible 3 years after the last one iirc. I found them quite informative & fun

Nope. Keep to the speed limit & you’ll be fine. I recently got two speeding tickets on one journey. 57mph & 59mph on the motorway in my Land Rover at 1am in the morning. I just sucked it up. No point whining about it.
    Eh?
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Did you read the OP? He is asking why a massive loading now, and not many years ago, for the same offence.
    Quoting my insurer…more people are putting a claim in now rather than absorbing it themselves….basically because they can’t afford to do so. That goes on to future premiums

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Eh?
    R
    Eh what?

Hmmmmm.....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Sounds like you didn't learn your lesson after the first fine, maybe you will after this one.

Master

It’s not can’t have been on one before, it’s within a time period, I think three years prior.

Master
    Sensing some people are going to start posting like Billy Ray’s father here.

Eh what?
    Was there a speed restriction on the motorway at the time you got nicked ?
    I'm guessing so...

Wait, your Def does 59mph?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

What can be insured for 149?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hardly strange and even if not an increased risk there will be more serious consequences if someine is.
    I think you'll find I was being tongue in cheek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Mines increased £50 each year for the last 3 years I’ve no points and no claims - there just trying to make more money
    1st year was a 30% increase for basically being a year older and wiser
    They're not trying to make more money. They're trying to cover the ever increasing cost of claims. Parts costs, like everything else are going up. The cost of labour to fix vehicles is going up. Add to that the longer lead times to get the parts and thus finish the repair and the cost of the courtesy cars is obviously increased. Insurance is a very competitive market and so when we see virtually everyone's insurance going up, you can deduce that it's not out of greed or choice. They want to retain your business.

I think you'll find I was being tongue in cheek
    Fair enough, though there's always those who will claim speed doesn't kill.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    What can be insured for 149?
    Well last year my Cayman GTS was £155, no mileage restrictions etc in a sleepy Berkshire village. Smart car was slightly more expensive at £176.

Insurance is very confusing; yesterday my daughter swapped her 2021 Ford Puma Titanium for a brand new Puma ST Line and her insurance went down by £80.

Master
    I insured my wife and myself, fully comp for £192 on a 2019 Honda HR -V.

Both of us have impeccable driving records and let us be honest, you got to be a right thicko to get done for speeding in this day and age. We all know that speed cameras are going up left right and centre and if you break the limit you are chancing it. Your choice how you drive but don't bleat if you get caught.

There are a number of different courses that driving offenders can be sent on. Most people think there’s just one “speed awareness course” but there are others that are all target at the specific offence. For example if you’re caught speeding on a managed motorway you’re sent on a motorway awareness course.

I think you can be sent one a few different ones before being given a fine and points.

https://www.drivetech.co.uk/police-r...urses/courses/

While we’re at it, two things that are interesting…..

1. The electronic displayed speed limit on managed motorway gantries are not usually controlled by a human. They are automatic and sense the volume of traffic and space between cars. If the volume is high and gap size is small, they automatically turn on ahead, to slow and control the flow.

2. Those overhead signs only go down to 40mph displayed. If you ever see one displaying a 20 or 10, it means there is a car coming towards you in the wrong direction. Look out!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Base insurance prices have rocketed and are taking the proverbial. My Cayman went from about £160 to £300 before my wife’s speeding was added to it. Only change until then was another year of me not crashing or claiming.

Her 3pts added £60 to the cost and likely will do for the next 5 years.
    Imo a driver fined,gained points and perhaps taken the driver awareness course in theory is now a more informed and aware driver.So why are they penalised for 5 years.Those not yet caught will continue to exceed speed,those already fined will probably not......

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Was there a speed restriction on the motorway at the time you got nicked ?
    I'm guessing so...
    Oh I see what ralphy meant now….Yeah apparently it was 50mph. I can’t say I remember any roadworks or signs. I generally drive about that speed on motorways even when there’s no speed restriction…..my land rover has the aerodynamics of a shed on wheels

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Imo a driver fined,gained points and perhaps taken the driver awareness course in theory is now a more informed and aware driver.So why are they penalised for 5 years.Those not yet caught will continue to exceed speed,those already fined will probably not......
    Deterrent effect. Speeders are gambling with other peoples safety so being penalised for 5 years makes sure they won't do it again. There is absolutely no need to sympathise with them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Haha….yeah & I’ve framed the speeding ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    There’s usually no need to inform insurers of an awareness course. Someone who has done one and gained points is obviously a serial offender.

What the insurers do is a commercial decision and up to them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There’s usually no need to inform insurers of an awareness course. Someone who has done one and gained points is obviously a serial offender.

What the insurers do is a commercial decision and up to them.
    Interesting. I attended a speed awareness course and disclosed to my insurer that I had received enhanced level of training and awareness.

I already have RoSPA and IAM so it didn’t apply a further discount, but my stance is I’m a better driver/rider for the course not a greater risk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

2. Those overhead signs only go down to 40mph displayed. If you ever see one displaying a 20 or 10, it means there is a car coming towards you in the wrong direction. Look out!!
    Didn’t know about point 2, am now aware!

Haha….yeah & I’ve framed the speeding ticket!
    I really should be charging you more in that case

got my car insurance renewal quote today - taking the proverbal p...
    they have tried to more than double my insurance (RAC ) - strangely enough they didnt even try the 'let me take a look at it for you ' line when i said just cancel it (and you will be losing the RAC breakdown cover aswell for trying to take the micky ) .

.... im dreading my motorbike insurance renewal in a months time , it may mean i either downsize the bike or just jack it in altogether as im not giving any of these parasites a grand to insure a motorbike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    got my car insurance renewal quote today - taking the proverbal p...
    they have tried to more than double my insurance (RAC ) - strangely enough they didnt even try the 'let me take a look at it for you ' line when i said just cancel it (and you will be losing the RAC breakdown cover aswell for trying to take the micky ) .

.... im dreading my motorbike insurance renewal in a months time , it may mean i either downsize the bike or just jack it in altogether as im not giving any of these parasites a grand to insure a motorbike.
    My bike insurance actually went down £112 fully comp for my T7

Craftsman
    If I recall last year was a bad year for car insurance (from a business pov) and the claims came to 110% of the premiums. Consequently they're looking to recover those losses - also bear in mind they need to hold solvency capital of 100% by law. Given this with the projected increase in claims value it's not surprising premiums are on the increase
    I'm seeing reports online of insurers no longer being prepared to haggle online, which suggests some are being more selective over customers. Some companies I believe have withdrawn from insuring EVs altogether.
    The only advice is to continue to shop around and don't leave it too late to buy before renewal

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I have a deep and long-standing hatred of the police on all fronts……..which originally stems from a wrongful arrest as a teenager when I experienced
    first hand that a copper is willing to lie in order to try and get a conviction.
    Anyway, I did a speed awareness course once and it was definitely one of the most boring afternoons of my life.
    I was sat sharing a table with a group of taxi drivers who all remained silent and bored looking at all times.
    I have to say though I am unaware that my insurance has ever gone up with points on license- maybe worth getting a quote with NFU

Interesting

I got nobbled on a variable up north about 2.5 years ago and did a SAC. Ive just done another SAC after getting nicked down here in Surrey.
    So less than three years apart.

SSShhhh, dont tell em, Pike.