closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Careers advice for the over 50s.

Careers advice for the over 50s.

I’m currently working in a creative industry, but year on year the work is decreasing, it’s getting more and more difficult to get jobs and things are getting tighter. I have been thinking about doing something else but not sure which way to go. I’m not against retraining or college courses. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I’m just not sure which direction to head. I think ideally i might need some careers advice / suggestions, but most seems aimed at the late teen/early 20s/post uni situation - has anyone used one for the ‘older worker’?

Keep your skills up, more and more I'm seeing skills based recruitment as opposed to age profiles/experience etc.

And try and be in the office as much as possible - out of sight out of mind and we are in an era where CEOs are trying to get people back into offices so bear that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I’m currently working in a creative industry, but year on year the work is decreasing, it’s getting more and more difficult to get jobs and things are getting tighter. I have been thinking about doing something else but not sure which way to go. I’m not against retraining or college courses. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I’m just not sure which direction to head. I think ideally i might need some careers advice / suggestions, but most seems aimed at the late teen/early 20s/post uni situation - has anyone used one for the ‘older worker’?
    What do you currently do for a job? Perhaps the TZ collective could give you a ‘leg up’

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have a browse here - when you look at one particular type of job the page shows similar jobs on the right hand side of that page
    https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

When compiling your CV (at your age) you need to do a 180 in your mindset and
    get used to ‘blowing your own trumpet’
    Example your achievements in each role and what you are good at
    Keep it punchy and to the point (elaborate at interview)
    Be aware that agencies utilise screening software - learn the rules and limitations of software….
    Last edited by Suds; 29th September 2023 at 15:11.

I'd focus on doing something you enjoy. If I were to change careers now I'd try to do something aligned with one of my hobbies.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Horology like Bazza's done?

Grand Master
    I`d forgotten about Bazza!

Not convinced that going into Horology is sensible if you're serious about making money, I did it on a profitable hobby basis after taking early retirement and I would say it's more 'hobby' than 'profit', for the time I spend I`d make far more money working in a supermarket or warehouse. The investment in training and tools/equipment is significant, the ever-increasing difficulty in getting parts due to restrictions in supply from the major brands makes it less viable to operate as a one man band. In hindsight I have to say I wouldn't have done it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`d forgotten about Bazza!

Not convinced that going into Horology is sensible if you're serious about making money, I did it on a profitable hobby basis after taking early retirement and I would say it's more 'hobby' than 'profit', for the time I spend I`d make far more money working in a supermarket or warehouse. The investment in training and tools/equipment is significant, the ever-increasing difficulty in getting parts due to restrictions in supply from the major brands makes it less viable to operate as a one man band. In hindsight I have to say I wouldn't have done it.
    I defer to an expert but it's becoming increasingly difficult to get anybody who is capable enough to do a good job in a good time frame. Sign of the times in many a field.

Edit: you can get to a point in your professional life where you have reached the pinnacle of your ability but the money is a side effect of that ability. You don't need it, any more doesn't enrich your life.....only potentially your kids' lives. You do the job because you like it, you are fulfilled by it, you are enriching other peoples' lives by doing it, you're doing it to stay sane.

Not too bad a place to be.
    Last edited by trident-7; 29th September 2023 at 17:52.

I work in advertising and whilst I am 35 I do wonder what my career will look like past 50 if I don’t make C suite at an agency.

Increasingly, I have been thinking about dipping my toes into consulting or starting my own mini agency.

Are either of those options for you?

If all else failed, I wouldn’t be against retraining / studying, downsizing dramatically, and becoming a teacher or a lecturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk