closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy in price for Sub 14060M?

Buy in price for Sub 14060M?

Anyone had any recent quotes for a 2002, full set 14060M in very good condition?

Just had a brief conversation with The Watch Exchange after sending them pics and description, and their offer wasn't acceptable. But then I don't know what the going rate might be?

I'll test the other players but I'm just curious and want a level to go by.

Thanks

Master
    This is a very different market from recent years and The Great Correction appears not to be over yet.

I think I have at least five 14060 / 14060Ms on my website, a couple more that I’ve held back to avoid overload….and can’t remember when one last sold.

16610s similar.

It is a strangely diverse market. Gold Daytona 11651x in most variants on a strap remains very hot.

It may be worth sharing what price you think a dealer could reasonably expect to sell your watch for — in the context of my multiple examples that are NOT yet sold —- and then what offer you think would be reasonable.

The story of the last 18 months has been painful to many who would not listen : ask too much now and you may be worse off later.

February 2022 this is not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Anyone had any recent quotes for a 2002, full set 14060M in very good condition?

Just had a brief conversation with The Watch Exchange after sending them pics and description, and their offer wasn't acceptable. But then I don't know what the going rate might be?

I'll test the other players but I'm just curious and want a level to go by.

Thanks
    Sounds nice :) Tritium dial? Polished? Rolex serviced? All seem to make a big difference to value and desirability. Many of the 2 liners full sets that I looked at recently had been over polished and had barely any bevel left and the spring bars were almost breaching the case sides. Why not just put it on SC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Sounds nice :) Tritium dial? Polished? Rolex serviced? All seem to make a big difference to value and desirability. Many of the 2 liners full sets that I looked at recently had been over polished and had barely any bevel left and the spring bars were almost breaching the case sides. Why not just put it on SC ?
    I think that is the plan.......................

I would guess dealer buy in prices are currently around £6 - 6.5k

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I would guess dealer buy in prices are currently around £6 - 6.5k
    I would guess most dealers are sitting on too many watches and are just waiting for the day when someone buys the things. Anyone who sells to a dealer today is going to get Edward 11's treatment.

Grand Master
    I would say you could sell the right one on a forum for £6k or if you can get a cash offer from a dealer rather than an SOR they will be offering 4-5k at best
    RIAC

Cheers everyone.

I was just curious and it seems that there might be a happy place somewhere between the dealer buy in offer and prices being asked on the dealers' websites, but even these are wide and varied with no striking differences in the product offered.

I was wondering if it would buy me a new boiler and bathroom

Cheers everyone.

I was just curious and it seems that there might be a happy place somewhere between the dealer buy in offer and prices being asked on the dealers' websites, but even these are wide and varied with no striking differences in the product offered.

Dealers prices vary wildly from those that want a quick sale to those that are happy to have it on display at a wild price on the off chance someone who isn't upto speed on latest prices buys it. And there are those that are willing to do a good PX or discount.

It's a tough market though, dealers may add 20%+ mark-up but could be holding on to the watch for weeks/months. Any further price drop eats into that margin, spend a few quid tidying it up and a little price drop and that 20% soon turns into 15-10% margin which sometimes isn't worth the risk of having stock sat on display.

It's still a popular watch though and you'll be able to get what you hope for on SC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I would say you could sell the right one on a forum for £6k or if you can get a cash offer from a dealer rather than an SOR they will be offering 4-5k at best
    For a full set 14060M with box and papers in very good condition ?

Even with a slack half dozen I’d expect to be paying more as a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    For a full set 14060M with box and papers in very good condition ?

Even with a slack half dozen I’d expect to be paying more as a dealer.
    I did wonder

Perhaps from this one could calculate how many 14060s The Watch Exchange are currently sitting on? And what they paid for them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Perhaps from this one could calculate how many 14060s The Watch Exchange are currently sitting on? And what they paid for them?
    No chance. A lot of the dealers struggle with cash-flow, their overheads will vary and so will their customer base.

Last week I had two 116610LVs and no one interested in them, but I bought a third because the price was right and at some point the bounce will come….whereas some just have to stop buying.

The market is soft, certainly for the 5 digits which are still the best of the breed IMHO.

I wouldn’t sell such a classic, but if you really want to, then it’s going to depend on the usual factors , condition, papers, service need.

I doubt any dealers would offer more than you would get from SC.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely one of the explorers before the Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    The market is soft, certainly for the 5 digits which are still the best of the breed IMHO.
    Problem is the younger customer wants the ceramic version, and the older buyer remembers when they could buy 5 digits for 2-5k and struggle with the idea that they're worth 8 grand.

I'm somewhere in-between. I've had a couple of 14060's and a 124060 and I'd pick the latter every time unless the 14060 was significantly cheaper, which they aren't.

Worth trying Subdial for a quote, and consider selling through them on consignment. Worked well for me recently (albeit different watch).

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Surely one of the explorers before the Sub.
    Noo!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Problem is the younger customer wants the ceramic version, and the older buyer remembers when they could buy 5 digits for 2-5k and struggle with the idea that they're worth 8 grand.

I'm somewhere in-between. I've had a couple of 14060's and a 124060 and I'd pick the latter every time unless the 14060 was significantly cheaper, which they aren't.
    Totally agree with this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Problem is the younger customer wants the ceramic version, and the older buyer remembers when they could buy 5 digits for 2-5k and struggle with the idea that they're worth 8 grand.....
    This is EXACTLY the reason I will most likely never own a 16710. I got into the hobby in 2013. Back then no one wanted a Pepsi GMT and full set minters were available at the time for £3.5k.

My brain won't allow me to pay £10k plus for one now even though I'd love one.

Master
    Agreed with the above.

And the simple reality is 5 digit subs are not worth £8-9k nor is a 5 digit GMT worth £10-12k.

I’m of the generation that would go newer and ceramic, they’re simply better watches and less likely to have been molested by bad polishing etc.

If useful as a data point, I sold this Tritium 14060 (not an "M") recently for £5500 to a dealer

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    If useful as a data point, I sold this Tritium 14060 (not an "M") recently for £5500 to a dealer

TT
    As some of you may have seen from the Early Retirement thread, I finished work this week

I'm looking for a nice watch to mark the occasion. I'd happily pay £5.5K for a sub in this condition. That's just lovely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Agreed with the above.

And the simple reality is 5 digit subs are not worth £8-9k nor is a 5 digit GMT worth £10-12k.

I’m of the generation that would go newer and ceramic, they’re simply better watches and less likely to have been molested by bad polishing etc.
    Agreed the 5 digit stuff is definitely not worth what they were selling for previously.

While the newer still is technically better engineered they are just not appealing to a lot of people due to their jewellery / bling factor.

Master

TT
    £5500! Wow, that is terrible. Weren’t these 7k upwards on this forum a year ago ?

Lovely looking watch by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    £5500! Wow, that is terrible. Weren’t these 7k upwards on this forum a year ago ?

Lovely looking watch by the way.
    Good for anyone who just wants to own one.

Master
    No COSC cert with it ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Good for anyone who just wants to own one.
    Oh yes, for sure. Amazing watch for that money!

TT
    As in the recent Rolex in the window thread, personally I love these 2 liners and would be where I'd spend my money. Lovely looking watch.

Just had a look at Chronos24. Without exception the prices quoted are hugely optimistic. Of all the 14060 UK sales, there isn't one for less than £8.5K.

I’m not sure that is hugely optimistic. Chrono24 puts the mid point value at £8300, and that is based on completed sales rather than advertised price. They do have a huge amount of data to call on. The lower end of the range is £7.5, but that’s likely to be no paper examples. Dealer buy in is clearly somewhat less than that.

D

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    As some of you may have seen from the Early Retirement thread, I finished work this week

I'm looking for a nice watch to mark the occasion. I'd happily pay £5.5K for a sub in this condition. That's just lovely.

About 300 other people here would have too. Scary cheap.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    TBH, I wouldn't sell one now.
    Market is flooded which is reflected in the buy in prices.

Master
    Anyone got a cheap 5513 for sale ? ;-)

Surely if 5 digit prices are on the floor, so are Vintage? (he says hopefully!)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I guess it depends how much you paid for it, if it was at the top of the curve then its a long way down.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    This is EXACTLY the reason I will most likely never own a 16710. I got into the hobby in 2013. Back then no one wanted a Pepsi GMT and full set minters were available at the time for £3.5k.

I agree with this 100%. I also believe this is the reason the prices simply have a little way to fall yet.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Master
    No nonsense reply from someone in the trade. Echoing what Haywood is saying. If possible hang on unless finances demand.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    No nonsense reply from someone in the trade. Echoing what Haywood is saying. If possible hang on unless finances demand.

Steve
    To be honest it is plain common sense. Selling in a falling market is hardly sensible.

The main problem with the world of Rolex, Omega, JLC and PP etc is that too many owners have to sell them to pay for the purchase of some distress purchase such as the CH boiler or broken down car etc. These people should stay well away from watches because they are doing themselves no favours and buggering the market up for the rest of us. The number of people who lose money when selling watches shows a distinct lack of financial acumen.

The ideal watch owner buys the watch, keeps it until he dies and then leaves it to his family members.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    To be honest it is plain common sense. Selling in a falling market is hardly sensible.

The main problem with the world of Rolex, Omega, JLC and PP etc is that too many owners have to sell them to pay for the purchase of some distress purchase such as the CH boiler or broken down car etc. These people should stay well away from watches because they are doing themselves no favours and buggering the market up for the rest of us. The number of people who lose money when selling watches shows a distinct lack of financial acumen.

The ideal watch owner buys the watch, keeps it until he dies and then leaves it to his family members.
    Yawn.

Grand Master
    But surely there's a possibility that prices will continue to fall, todays price might look like a good deal for the seller in 6 months time. I can see prices for the real vintage Rolex stuff holding up better than for the 5 digit models simply because they're much rarer, the 5 digit Subs sold in large numbers and there's plenty out there. I`ve owned a couple of 5 digit subs, I`m not a dive watch fan so I`ve no urge to own another, but I think they're the best buy of the lot.........or I did before prices went silly!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    But surely there's a possibility that prices will continue to fall, todays price might look like a good deal for the seller in 6 months time. I can see prices for the real vintage Rolex stuff holding up better than for the 5 digit models simply because they're much rarer, the 5 digit Subs sold in large numbers and there's plenty out there. I`ve owned a couple of 5 digit subs, I`m not a dive watch fan so I`ve no urge to own another, but I think they're the best buy of the lot.........or I did before prices went silly!
    With your nom de plume, I thought you would be familiar with the walking stick/umbrella theory.

Perhaps not everyone was lucky enough to work in the high flying world of post office middle management.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Perhaps not everyone was lucky enough to work in the high flying world of post office middle management.

You got to admit, selling in a falling market is hardly the most sensible to do.

You got to admit, selling in a falling market is hardly the most sensible to do.
    Buying in a rising market is also not sensible, but many did and now begin to realise that nothing is guaranteed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

TT

That in my humble opinion was a cheap watch and a very nice piece and even in todays market would have sold in a flash on SC and possibly for more money ?

I like the Vintage stuff and the 5 digit but it’s a buyers market and just wish I’d have cashed out on a couple (PP and a Rolex in the Covid price madness ) but hey ho we are where we are .

Master
    Cheers everyone.

I don’t think it would be enough to cover both of I am honest

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post

Same here, my grail watch which I stupidly let go, now have a mental block about buying another due to knowing what I paid last time. Wes's recent sale was almost there but still wasn't comfortable about spending £8750 on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Same here, my grail watch which I stupidly let go, now have a mental block about buying another due to knowing what I paid last time. Wes's recent sale was almost there but still wasn't comfortable about spending £8750 on one.
    I passed on a very nice Pepsi 16710 at £6.5K in early 2017 and that was the point of no return for me. That said, I will most likely go over list for a Ceramic GMT if I get bored of waiting for 'my' AD to come up with the goods. I sold a BLNR at the top of the market when I needed liquid capital so in my head I can justify mid to late teens on a newer piece even though in reality it's no different to the premium on a 5 digit reference that I'm steadfastly not prepared to pay for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Agreed with the above.

Whilst the newer watches are technically better, I’m not sure Rolex have got to the bottom of the issues affecting the 32xx movements yet and would be reluctant to buy one of these atm.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The TZ market isnt indicative of the trade market tbh. Totally different.

My advice to hold on to it isnt anything to do with 5 digits, or a dead market, or "prices continuing to fall" because they're (Rolex) stable at the minute post correction from the massive unsustainable bloat.
    The UK market is starting to rise after a period of stability, and the overseas market is constantly trading.

The 14060M is a niche piece. Its value is known to nerds, but if Joe Public walked into a dealer, they'd likely want ceramic.
    Or if it was a toss up between a 2 line and a 4 line COSC in the same condition and the 2 line was 2k cheaper, they'll go with what saves them 2k as they don't worship at the alter of rolex rare bits etc etc.

There's a chance that at least one of the hundreds of dealers available on the trade networks has an immaculate 14060M.

If you were a dealer, would you pay for one knowing that it needs to find its "right buyer" and while its doing that, you've got cash flow tied up in it and youre paying to advertise it across multiple platforms, OR, would you call it in from another dealer if you have a customer come in looking for one?

There is no motivation to stock unless its PX or CHEAP which is why I said dont sell now, wait until the dealer to dealer trade dries up a little because the glut of watches bought when everyone panicked have been sold on to end users.

Personally, I would sell it on eBay at auction through their authentication service with a reasonable starting bid on an -80% fees weekend and let it find its price with a wider audience.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Whilst the newer watches are technically better, I’m not sure Rolex have got to the bottom of the issues affecting the 32xx movements yet and would be reluctant to buy one of these atm.
    +1
    I recently passed on a new bi-rose GMT at my AD for that very reason. Picking my Pepsi up from RSC warranty repair next week (temporary 32xx fix - i.e not a fix, as Rolex can't fix them).