closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wet Weather Clothing (Jacket and Overtrousers)

Craftsman

Wet Weather Clothing (Jacket and Overtrousers)

Hi All

I’ve decided that with winter approaching and having retired (so more time outside) I really need to treat myself to a decent set of wet weather clothes. I have some waterproof over-trousers and a jacket already which although are waterproof are effectively plastic and you sweat worse than Betty at a Mac Lads concert (that reference might loose a few of the audience ;))

I’ve had a look online and also wandered into Mountain Warehouse today in an incredibly rare stop off in what I think what used to be called ‘shopping centres’. But frankly I’m overwhelmed by the choice and variance in type, tech and price.

I really only have a few criteria;

Waterproof (properly so, I’m often out in all weathers dealing with chickens, dogs, trees and other rural shenanigans!)
    Tough and easily washed (I’m a mucky bugger)
    Breathable (blooming pointless keeping the rain out if all you do is sweat inside, in fact it’s almost worse than getting wet)
    Lightweight (I’d prefer an outer layer type so I can where appropriate layers underneath)

I don’t mind spending a bit more for something decent but I’m not bear grills or a member of mountain rescue :)

Would really appreciate the opinion of those with real life experience (I could now tell you about the conversation I had with the incredibly enthusiastic (and perfectly polite) assistant in Mountain Warehouse but let’s just say their experience was a little lacking in the mountain department).

TIA

If you are genuinely going to get mucky I would look at some surplus (you can get brand new) army goretex kit.
    It’s very good and designed to be layered
    I find the decathlon breathable stuff very good for shooting / walking I have both a jacket and trousers.
    You can pay lots of money (Jotnar is very good kit) but like most things the law of diminishing returns applies.

I’d stick to goretex or similar. There are sales on different brands all the time these days Some ex army stuff can be pretty good too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Montane Tera Mission pants are half price at Go Outdoors right now. Great bit of kit.. lightly fleece lined, rain shower proof ish, and big leg vents that keep you fresh.

Blog Entries
    Musto.

Not the nautical line, but the outdoor line. And if you want easy-fit & lightweight pants, have a look at trousers for golfers. There are Goretex versions as well (and not ever trouser for golf has a tartan pattern...)

It's worth checking for 'sale' and 'end of season' items.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Musto for heavy weight tough waterproofs

Rab gore tex paclite for lightweight use but probably too delicate for what you need.

Master
    As said surplus kit is worth a look both police and forces.
    Keela is one of my go to brands for reasonable priced kit.
    Although I do like my berghaus deluge trousers they seem to be fairly robust.
    Hello hansen either the outdoors or workwear range are getting more popular.

Master
    If waterproof and breathable are requirements then it needs to be Goretex.

Mountain Warehouse are cheap but you need to look more upmarket.

https://www.sportpursuit.com do some great end of line / last season's colours at big discounts. We've picked up stuff at less than half RRP. Lots of big brands, and probably best to avoid the unheard-of brands.
    I see they currently have Berghaus Deluge over trousers for £30 (RRP £65)

Echo this. I just bought a very nice Rab goretex jacket for half price.

They have a lot of good stuff steer away from the trespass and regatta stuff but the likes of Rab, Berghaus, Montane and some of the lease known European brands.

Their own brand Fjern is good as well, although they inflate the rrp to then permanently have it as 50% off. The rest of genuine end of line or season sales.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the replies all. Never even thought of surplus suppliers. Off to do some more Googling. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies all. Never even thought of surplus suppliers. Off to do some more Googling. :)
    I usually go for Berghaus for waterproofs , they are decent for the price , light and have decent ventilation . I usually carry them with me on film shoots so they pack down well .

Normal clothes underneath augmented by thermals and a decent lightweight fleece , sometimes I’ll have a barbour on as well. In really cold conditions I’ll have a North Face down jacket under the waterproofs ( impossible to wear for long unless its sub zero in my opinion)

And don’t forget decent hat and gloves .

Available on Amazon often discounted , think my current set were about £120 for trousers and jacket .

Spent long days on mountainsides in lashing torrential rain and been bone dry at the end.

I wouldn’t bother with “army surplus” ; most of what is sold is just cheap nasty knock off stuff that never went anywhere near an army.

Master
    Im no expert but my understanding is for the gortex system to work well you need to keep the outer layer water resistant. If you are washing the item often will mean retreating with waterproofing spray. If the outer layer gets too wet you lose the breathability.

Nomad, (if you can find any), are expensive but superb; or Halkon Hunt. The latter are lightweight, breathable and waterproof; and are used by a lot of anglers in all weather.

My Nomad wading jacket is over 25 years old and still going strong, still waterproof, (it's had just one reproofing in all that time), still warm and still breathable.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I do lots of fishing and so spend a lot of time outside night fishing etc especially this time of year when its forever changing and I have had a few over the years - as mentioned some of the army surplus kit is exceptional and military1st is a good website to look at

https://www.military1st.co.uk/clothing

Nowdays I wear the fortis marine range not cheap but well worth it paired with a good boot Brasher or a welly Lechameau my preference and you WILL NOT get wet as seen here

https://fortiseyewear.co.uk/product-category/clothing/

Snugpak gear is also worth a look and the torrent range is very good and similar to the fortis without the fishing tax £££

If im not fishing then personally Im a fan of gore tex pieces as well and tend to use them for every day wear and layering up theyll keep you dry no bother I have moncler and si but probably overkill for your needs but maybe have a look at the recent jacket thread where there were lots of outdoor recommendations but that was wet and warm as opposed to just wet weather pieces and all the usual suspects mentioned - Berghaus, Rab, North face, HH, Musto etc etc etc

P.S use nikwax tech wash in and tx direct to clean/treat and youll have years of use

https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/waterproofing/
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 28th September 2023 at 10:09.

Craftsman

wet weather gear

Paramo would get my vote.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/

Expensive but lasts for ages. My Cascada jacket and trousers are still serviceable after 22 years heavy use.

Rukka

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobar View Post
    Paramo would get my vote.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/

Expensive but lasts for ages. My Cascada jacket and trousers are still serviceable after 22 years heavy use.
    The marmite of outdoor gear. Some experts swear by it some deride it.

I’ve personally never used it but tried a jacket on once but, the “tailoring” was so bad I put it back. Seems it also needs plenty of maintenance to keep it waterproof (and even then there are many online reviews saying it still leaks).
    I’ve a ten year old Mountain Hardwear jacket the I wash and treat once a year with Nikwax products, that and a pair of Berhaus trousers keeps me dry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think any of the major brands in goretex will be much of a muchness ...

Note that there are different types of goretex used for different types of activity ...

Master
    If its hens dogs and rufty tufty Gore tex Ex Army or Navy will be fine as they will have good abrasion performance eg plain weaves.

If you want light weight really breathable then Berghaus Mountain Equipment Rab etc.

Master
    https://www.millets.co.uk/br:berghau...1012aac3691f05

Berghaus sale on Millets and extra 20% off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk