closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: False advertising? Fraudulent claims?

False advertising? Fraudulent claims?

Rolex seems to have a history of claiming to be the "world's first" when it comes to major innovations in horology.

Then, it turns out their claim was not true.

In 1931 Rolex claims to have invented the world's first automatic wrist watch.

The trouble with that claim was that John Harwood had already invented a self winding wrist watch back in 1926.

Harwood was quite upset with (Rolex) Hans Wilsdorf's claim, rightfully so.

It took Hans about 30 YEARS to issue a public apology to Harwood.

The apology was published in the "Sunday Express" London newspaper on June 10, 1956.

Rolex should probably issue a similar posthumous apology to Charles Depollier after 96 years of claiming to have created the world's first waterproof watch when they clearly did not?

Before anyone says "you are just a Rolex hater", I do still have my 1996 sub mariner. It isn't as good as the Omega seamaster of similar period though.

Add in the Everest claim...

And the swim the channel claim..

(although to be fair I doubt the watch would of suddenly leaked if she’d managed the last leg of the swim)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watch company in "lying bastards" shock.

Harwood like George Daniels and Roger Smith after him, moved to the Isle of Man. I own a Harwood automatic, it’s a nice piece of horological history.