closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cir.1916 US Navy Deck Clock No.3 WW1 era

Cir.1916 US Navy Deck Clock No.3 WW1 era

I picked this up 3-4 weeks ago off eBay. I got a soft spot for nautical military timepieces. It looks like a barn find. The dial and hands are in great shape and the movement looks like it was never serviced no marks on the screws. The mainspring broke so it's getting a service right now. The case has great patina going to leave it that way it cleaned up good with soap and water. The hands have the original bluing on them. The inside case I thought was spraypainted gold but the original finish it had when it left the factory 108 years ago the inside was like a time capsule.

Before a little clean up.

Number matching movement and case.
    Last edited by River Rat; 20th September 2023 at 21:14.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Whenever you post something you have bought I know it’s going to be a treat. No exception this time. You have a great eye.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations that’s a real beauty.

Is the case some kind of Bakelite?

That is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Congratulations that’s a real beauty.

Is the case some kind of Bakelite?
    It's well aged brass. If I sent it to Chelsea and had then redo the case would look like this other one I got in the collection made about the same time this one made in 1918.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow thats another lovely clock,how many have you got?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Wow thats another lovely clock,how many have you got?
    Being retired Navy is what got me to collect these. Use to live in the bay area in California, they use to have a lot of Navy bases around there before they all closed down. So, they were easy to find at one time and cheap and there still cheaper than vintage military wristwatches that have gotten very expensive these days. I have most of them in my office and a few around the house. They have to be special and rare now for me to add one to the collection due to space. Would like to get a E. Howard US Navy deck clock those are real early US Navy deck clocks and maybe a WW2 Chelsea radio room dual time deck clock they have a cool dial, and I would be done. I was on the hunt for a while to get a deck clocks from all Allies Navies and Axis Navies took me a while US, British but was off an Australian cruiser so close, Japanese, German and Italian the Italian one looks like WW2 but might a be a little after WW2 hard to date.
    Last edited by River Rat; 21st September 2023 at 23:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Being retired Navy is what got me to collect these. Use to live in the bay area in California, they use to have a lot of Navy bases around there before they all closed down. So, they were easy to find at one time and cheap and there still cheaper than vintage military wristwatches that have gotten very expensive these days. I have most of them in my office and a few around the house. They have to be special and rare now for me to add one to the collection due to space. Would like to get a E. Howard US Navy deck clock those are real early US Navy deck clocks and maybe a WW2 Chelsea radio room dual time deck clock they have a cool dial, and I would be done. I was on the hunt for a while to get a deck clocks from all Allies Navies and Axis Navies took me a while US, British but was off an Australian cruiser so close, Japanese, German and Italian the Italian one looks like WW2 but might a be a little after WW2 hard to date.

Thanks for the info I find it fascinating.

Your previous clock post had me reading and watching videos ref. the history of HMAS Australia.

Which led on to carrier ops which led onto me searching for and finding one of the old USN coffee cups and the history of those.

I expect you know all about them,I managed to get a rare mug from a decommissioned USN ship I dont think it was a Victor though.

https://www.r-infinity.com/Victor_Cups/index.htm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    It's well aged brass. If I sent it to Chelsea and had then redo the case would look like this other one I got in the collection made about the same time this one made in 1918.

Lovely. I think that this face set into the unrestored surround would look perfect..

Last edited by johny; 22nd September 2023 at 15:46.