closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iOS 17 Now Available

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

I’ve just changed the notification tone and it stays to what I set. Try a hard reset (left top button, bottom left button, right button hold until blank).
    You can only change the notification sound if that’s supported in app, e.g. WhatsApp. I cannot find a way to change the default notification for apps that don’t. Or have I misunderstood your post?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You mean people don’t permanently keep phones on silent? Cannot think the last time I had it ring!

Updated, but can’t see any difference, so will have to read what has changed! Annoyingly with the watch os10 I have lost favourites in the dock vs recently used & the stacked widgets don’t do things like Deezer annoyingly.

Not sure I’m a fan of losing the upward swipe or having to long press to change watch faces. Am sure I will get used to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    As bad as my Mrs, phones always on silent. She’d never be my lifeline to call as I don’t think she’s ever answered on the first attempt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    As bad as my Mrs, phones always on silent. She’d never be my lifeline to call as I don’t think she’s ever answered on the first attempt.
    Haha, my wife is the same. Mine is always in my pocket or next to me, so never miss a call or alert.

Somewhere in the house is an iphone7 that died whilst lost. Despite searching multiple times, it was never located. Guess we will find it when we move west to retire, perhaps.

Craftsman
    Haha, my wife is the same. Mine is always in my pocket or next to me, so never miss a call or alert.

Somewhere in the house is an iphone7 that died whilst lost. Despite searching multiple times, it was never located. Guess we will find it when we move west to retire, perhaps.

I do sit smug when she looses her phone and asks me to ring it. The house has to be silent whilst she hunts for the vibrations.

Master
    I do sit smug when she looses her phone and asks me to ring it. The house has to be silent whilst she hunts for the vibrations.
    I’m smiling just imagining this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    You can only change the notification sound if that’s supported in app, e.g. WhatsApp. I cannot find a way to change the default notification for apps that don’t. Or have I misunderstood your post?
    I see what you mean. Seems this “new feature” is all over the www. Strange. Maybe fixed with a patch sometime soon?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    My wife is the same but we use the find my phone app on the iPad to get the phone to play a sound. Even if it’s on silent it still beeps away and can usually be found in a place she’s already searched.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    My wife is the same but we use the find my phone app on the iPad to get the phone to play a sound. Even if it’s on silent it still beeps away and can usually be found in a place she’s already searched.
    Thanks for the advice. I won’t be telling her though, it’s the only fun I get sometimes

Has anyone else noticed you can't paste pics onto the forum from your iPhone? This is one of the basic functions I've been using forever. If you have, have you fixed it?

Master
    Using an iPhone 14 Pro and the download stubbornly refusing to work. Update Requested tab and endless spinning of the gear thingy but nothing else. It’s been like this every time i’ve attempted it and i’ve been through the advice countless times, there’s enough spare storage so i’m at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Using an iPhone 14 Pro and the download stubbornly refusing to work. Update Requested tab and endless spinning of the gear thingy but nothing else. It’s been like this every time i’ve attempted it and i’ve been through the advice countless times, there’s enough spare storage so i’m at a loss.
    Could plug it in and update via iTunes

Alternatively go into settings and storage and see if any of the update downloaded and delete it. Then maybe a soft reset and via again.

Really though there is no difference between the old iOS and the new one so I wouldn’t be in a rush

Blog Entries
    Updated a few days ago, on my iPhone 12 Pro. Nothing special new, battery seems to be used as before.

Only annoying new feature is that, unless you have a poster image for each caller, the screen turns dull grey when one of these calls.

Wish this could be edited (black screen as default rather than dull grey) but apparently will be with next software update.

PS: also updated on my iPad Pro, where the useful difference is that the lock screen graphics can be edited, and the thick font of the clock can now be changed. For the rest, not much difference.
    Last edited by Franco; 26th September 2023 at 12:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Could plug it in and update via iTunes

Alternatively go into settings and storage and see if any of the update downloaded and delete it. Then maybe a soft reset and via again.

Really though there is no difference between the old iOS and the new one so I wouldn’t be in a rush
    Cheers W. Tried everything but the iTunes trick and no joy. I’ll just abandon it for now if the difference is minimal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Cheers W. Tried everything but the iTunes trick and no joy. I’ll just abandon it for now if the difference is minimal.
    It is so minimal, I haven’t really noticed anything apart from contacts now looking a dull grey.

Just installed MacOS Sonoma on my M1 MacBook Air. The desktop widgets are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Just installed MacOS Sonoma on my M1 MacBook Air. The desktop widgets are great.
    Just downloading now.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Nice, will pop it on the Mac Mini tomorrow and hope for more change than the iOS update.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have lots of different tones - also can set within WhatsApp etc.

I’ve just changed the notification tone and it stays to what I set. Try a hard reset (left top button, bottom left button, right button hold until blank).

That doesn't change the System Notification sound, this one seems to be hard coded at the moment, you can only change the notification sound for some apps, not the System wide one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOS 17.02 available now…

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    IOS 17.0.2 available now…
    Apple's testing wasn't as rigorous as it ought to be. This update fixes a data transfer issue when updating to a new phone. Installing this update now as my new iPhone 15 pro will arrive next week. The battery in my current iPhone 12 Pro needs replacing and I figured I'd take the opportunity to upgrade.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Apple's testing wasn't as rigorous as it ought to be. This update fixes a data transfer issue when updating to a new phone. Installing this update now as my new iPhone 15 pro will arrive next week. The battery in my current iPhone 12 Pro needs replacing and I figured I'd take the opportunity to upgrade.
    Wow, what was the health percentage as it’s not really that old?

3 years old is not bad given how often (potentially) they are cycled?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The battery percentage is 84% and Apple recommend swapping out the battery at 82%. It gets charged every night and sometimes a top-up during the day. My work iPhone takes a hammering during the working day when working from home but is not used at all when in the office and gets charged around twice a week; it still shows 100% after two years.

Having swapped the battery on my late father's iPhone 10 around a year ago it made a huge difference and that was down to a similar percentage. I used to do it myself but for the last few years I just get it done by Apple.
    Last edited by Skier; 28th September 2023 at 08:14.

My wife had an ageing battery on her iPhone SE2, around 70% after about 3
    Years use. I took it to our local Apple Store with no appointment and the battery was swapped within about 90 minutes and cost £70 (I think). I expected
    It to be a real faff but frankly it’s a cheaper service than you’d pay for a battery change on a quality quartz watch - and much quicker. I’ll probably have a new battery in my 13pro next year rather than upgrading. Her phone is now like new and runs the latest iOS so she’s happy with it for now

Master
    Thanks for the replies, looks like something to consider for my wife’s 12 mini which is at 85%.

Might also give me another solution for my 14 Pro and drag out more than 2-3 years for it. Unless there is some huge tech leap that happens, I don’t really want to be doing the 2yr upgrade cycle given the prices now.

Master
    Siri British Voice 4 is an entertaining addition in iOS 17, given that the other British voices are either grating, prissy, or possibly even uptight and slightly passive-aggressive. Still hoping for Scarlet Johannson from ‘Her’ really, but I suspect Apple wouldn’t allow it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Siri British Voice 4 is an entertaining addition in iOS 17, given that the other British voices are either grating, prissy, or possibly even uptight and slightly passive-aggressive. Still hoping for Scarlet Johannson from ‘Her’ really, but I suspect Apple wouldn’t allow it.
    That would be a dream.

I might use it then!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Ha ha. Didn’t know about the additional voices. British voice 3&4 crack me up. I’ve always had soft spot for Irish accents so settled on the Irish female voice 8-)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Ha ha. Didn’t know about the additional voices. British voice 3&4 crack me up. I’ve always had soft spot for Irish accents so settled on the Irish female voice 8-)
    I’ve tried them all and reckon Indian Voice 2 has the most pleasant / least annoying tone, but British Voice 4 sounds quite cheerful. Try asking it what three times one thousand one hundred and eleven is.

Master
    Apple identifies issues causing overheating in the iPhone 15

https://www.reuters.com/technology/a...15-2023-09-30/

Hopefully the next update doesn't pull the speeds back to alleviate the heat issue's people are raising...

My new iPhone 15 Pro arrived on Friday and was set up that evening. No overheating issues here but I have none of the identified apps installed. I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the camera but I'm sure it will be excellent; the camera lenses are huge compared to the 12 Pro. That said the old 12 pro camera was superb. I've just reset and packed the old phone ready to send on Monday as part of the Apple trade in scheme.

Apple's new 'environmentally friendly' cases are also coming in for stick with people returning them complaining that they mark and stain far too easily.

Grand Master
    My new iPhone 15 Pro arrived on Friday and was set up that evening. No overheating issues here but I have none of the identified apps installed. I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the camera but I'm sure it will be excellent; the camera lenses are huge compared to the 12 Pro. That said the old 12 pro camera was superb. I've just reset and packed the old phone ready to send on Monday as part of the Apple trade in scheme.

Apple's new 'environmentally friendly' cases are also coming in for stick with people returning them complaining that they mark and stain far too easily.
    Surprised you traded in when a forum member would have paid the same or more!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I did the same, my 12 Pro Max had awful battery life, but as the battery health was over 80% Apple wouldn’t exchange it, by trading it in I got €445 off my. iPhone 15 pro Max

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Something called integrity. Whilst in absolutely mint condition the battery life was very poor and I wouldn't have felt comfortable selling it to a forum member. Even though battery health was shown at 83% when I reset it this morning, it was very poor. A new battery would have been £85 plus the cost of taking it into town, parking charges x 2, postage costs etc. All around simpler to trade it in and there's no guarantee anyone would have paid the same or more.

Grand Master
    Something called integrity. Whilst in absolutely mint condition the battery life was very poor and I wouldn't have felt comfortable selling it to a forum member. Even though battery health was shown at 83% when I reset it this morning, it was very poor. A new battery would have been £85 plus the cost of taking it into town, parking charges x 2, postage costs etc. All around simpler to trade it in and there's no guarantee anyone would have paid the same or more.
    I hear you, my 12Max Pro is fine (Battery 84%) just a cracked screen so Apple wouldn’t pay much so just chucked it in a drawer
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    This is annoying me too, hopefully Apple sort it in an update soon.
    The latest beta has fixed this, so custom tones will be back soon.

iOS 17.0.3 is now available.