closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sonic Cleaners

Journeyman

Sonic Cleaners

Hi all,
    The collection is growing as is the dirt on the bracelets!
    Been thinking of getting a ultrasonic cleaner for the watches and some of the wife’s jewellery.
    After some recommendations if possible!
    Last edited by Ewellblue; 15th September 2023 at 21:07. Reason: Spelling

The £20 versions from Lidls were low power and poor quality.
    Soapy water is OK to use directly in the tank, but removing solvents or aggressive cleaning chemicals can become messy.
    A drainage valve or a removable tank would be useful for less spillage when emptying out.

The recommended method for using the nasty stuff was to load the tank with water, then drop an open top jar of cleaning chemicals into the water.
    I could never get a satisfactory result with a jar in the low powered bench top machine.

Edit - I also needed to use a plastic dish in the bottom of the sonic tank to prevent the metal work from rubbing on the parts I was trying to clean.
    Last edited by Reeny; 16th September 2023 at 00:19.

I also never found the Lidl, Aldi ones particularly effective though usually supplied with plastic baskets so nothing rubs.

Never found emptying a problem with these either TBH (just upend over a bucket, down the sink or whatever). Maybe trickier with a heavy 'industrial' machine.

Grand Master
    Ultrasonic cleaners aren’t good at breaking up thick layers of soft dirt, this is better removed using a soft toothbrush and detergent. Ultrasonic cleaning is good at removing thin layers of dirt, particularly in inaccessible areas. Put the item to be cleaned in a glass jar containing a strong soln of washing up liquid, put the jar into water in the bath, leave it cleaning for 4-5 minutes. Drain the detergent and rinse with clean water , giving another good blast of ultrasonics.

The 20 quid Lidl works well on my golf clubs

Master
    I use citrosol in my ultrasonic to clean small parts and it does a great job. ( I have not used on mechanisms).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a sonic cleaner,but I’ve used this stuff for years ,works well

Master
    I think you have to be carful with some jewellery with stones in

Master
    Blog Entries
    You could use ketchup

I've used them for heavier mechanical parts too and they are good-ish. TBH you are just as well to put the bracelet in a jam jar with the cleaner of choice (warm water and dish-soap) and give it a darn good shake. Leave for 5 mins to do a little soaking, and repeat. You may want to use some sponge as padding/protection to prevent the bracelet hitting against itself.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought what was supposed to be a good one many years ago. My general impression was that it did sod all that couldn’t be done better and more rapidly with hot water, detergent and a small brush.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I bought what was supposed to be a good one many years ago. My general impression was that it did sod all that couldn’t be done better and more rapidly with hot water, detergent and a small brush.
    Ultrasonic cleaners are not the panacea, see my earlier comments, but they are excellent for removing thin layers of contamination from inaccessible areas. Not great at shifting thick layers of gunge, that’s what your old toothbrush and hot detergent are for.