closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suitcase Suggestions Rimowa type

Suitcase Suggestions Rimowa type

So ...

Having originally set my sights on an N64, the glorious TZUK gang have successfully steered me in another direction, for which I am thankful. I'll follow up with where I land for those who are interested

My next folly is travel suitcases. Now, for full disclosure, I do not travel a great deal, but I expect like many of us here, the quest for "the best" has no boundaries, and small cabin suitcases are now in my crosshairs.

I've always been fascinated by Rimowa suitcases, specifically the aluminium ones which look beaten up after a few trips. I clock them at the airport and immediately want to own one.

I know, like most luxury items :( , Riwoma is now owned by a large conglomerate and the view is that the the old stuff is the best...
    But my life, it is expensive. Also, the "xSupreme" gang have full hold of the brand, which like toe-rags wearing Burberry caps has somewhat ruined it for me

I guess my question is .. are they "worth" it. Presumably the value is retained all the while you enjoy using it ... so it's sensible ... right? If not, are there any unknown brands who make incredible aluminium suitcases which should be considered. I'm not really into branding, so the more subtle, the better.

As a sidenote. I presume there are many of us on this forum, but my "quest for the best" in everyday objects is quite exhausting. I recently purchased some Ernest Wright scissors ... absolutely no immediate need, but once I'd gone down the rabbit hole, there was no turning back!

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

I own an aluminium rimowa. Nice luggage but I prefer the globe-trotter. Both in design and function.

https://www.globe-trotter.com/collec...rry-on-luggage

Oh my. Now THAT is a suitcase... I'm already happy I started this thread!

Tumi ballistic nylon. Had one for around 16 years travelling twice monthly (not so much these days), still going strong as a second carry on as I wanted a newer 4-wheeled version. That one is now 8 years old with twice monthly travel until 2020. Both have the added advantage of the internal suit hangar capability which I used frequently. The newer one looks untouched apart from the plastic protectors on the corners.

The newer one is a clamshell type which is also expandable by a few litres. I looked at the Tumi aluminium case at the same time (similar cost) but it’s not expandable and is less adaptable to luggage type (it has a hard divider for example making packing shoes more difficult and taking up more space).

That does look great, thank you for the recommendation.

Briggs and Riley also often get mentioned a fair bit (but again normally "soft").

Maybe I need to get over the appeal of aluminium and go nuts for nylon!

We have a few Rimowas, and we travel a lot for work so they are well used. Aluminium ones have a lifetime repair warranty, which is amazing. Lufthansa managed to break the lock on mine and I took it to the London store expecting a bit of a process. The guy took it away and a few minutes later came back with a brand new lock fitted. I didn't particularly want to carry it around with me, and they were very happy to keep it all day for me.

They get beat up and dented, but that's part of it, and I know they will last me a very long time. I used to always buy cheap bags and replace as soon as something broke, which was about once a year. But now I just cover the Rimowas in stickers and more battered they are better they look.

My wife has a Globe Trotter as well, and it's an lovely thing, but I can't get my head around how sturdy it would actually be in use, but apparently they are.

Porsche Design do some really good polycarbonate hard cases. A good friend of mine loves them.

How. About antler ? Lifetime warranty

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    That does look great, thank you for the recommendation.

Briggs and Riley also often get mentioned a fair bit (but again normally "soft").

Maybe I need to get over the appeal of aluminium and go nuts for nylon!

I always recommend Briggs & Riley - have a briefcase and rucksack and both get a lot of use. Never tried their large luggage though.

The USA version of Rimowa is Zero Halliburton - might be worth a look. I’d probably go Rimowa as I see them in shops at a lot of airports so can have a good look at them. What puts me off any hard shell case is they don’t have any external pockets - OK for checked-in but less attractive for me as carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    ...What puts me off any hard shell case is they don’t have any external pockets - OK for checked-in but less attractive for me as carry-on.
    This, absolutely.

We have given up with posh suitcase’s, fed up with baggage handler’s destroying them.

Master
    I have a Tumi made of ballistic nylon and it still looks like new after more than 10 years of traveling (always carry-on). The only issue with it is the weight, it's about 4kg so double compared to those modern hard shell versions. Sometimes I have to fly with airlines that actually weigh the carry-on's and it's and issue with the Tumi.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I have a Tumi made of ballistic nylon and it still looks like new after more than 10 years of traveling (always carry-on). The only issue with it is the weight, it's about 4kg so double compared to those modern hard shell versions. Sometimes I have to fly with airlines that actually weigh the carry-on's and it's and issue with the Tumi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    So ...

...and small cabin suitcases are now in my crosshairs.
    I studiously avoid any kind of rigid/wheelly carry-on. If the airline is trying to mandate check-in of carry-on luggage (something I've seen on both BA & LH flights recently) you are immediately in the cross-hairs and I have yet to see anyone being forced to weigh a soft bag either (or try the "does it fit in this 3d cage trick?"). I use a Billingham (and check-in a Globetrotter).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    I've been a frequent flyer for the best part of 30y. Like you, I love the look of Rimowa. But what has been ultra-reliable, strong, practical, and quite good looking in a utilitarian way have been my Tumi Alpha series. The ability for them to expand and with zippers for outside pockets is very useful. Also, their retractable handle is stronger, take up less space, and better designed than most others I've seen.

Master
    If they are carry on, they don’t really leave your possession and are therefor not slung about by baggage handlers, so why do they need to be so strong/expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    If they are carry on, they don’t really leave your possession and are therefor not slung about by baggage handlers, so why do they need to be so strong/expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Something to be seen with.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I've been a frequent flyer for the best part of 30y. Like you, I love the look of Rimowa. But what has been ultra-reliable, strong, practical, and quite good looking in a utilitarian way have been my Tumi Alpha series. The ability for them to expand and with zippers for outside pockets is very useful. Also, their retractable handle is stronger, take up less space, and better designed than most others I've seen.
    Thank you. I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Something to be seen with.
    To some, perhaps. But it's more of a want for a nice thing, the best thing, for me, and not for anyone else. It's no different to wanting to wear a nice watch. For me, it's nothing to do with the flex.

Not aluminium but I think still a "nice thing" is my 18+ year-old Samsonite Black Label carry-on. Nylon with thick leather reinforced corners and handles, outside zippered pockets and internal suit carrier (which actually works).

It's been manhandled around the world and while the leather bits are just starting to take on a "I've had this case a long time" patina, it otherwise shows no signs of wear.

I'd buy another if this one ever fails, assuming they still make them like this, but I suspect it will outlast me. Also, it's not black, and I've never seen another one like it (it was an Isetan limited edition, just like that rare Speedmaster...) so it's easy to spot on the belt among all the Rimowa lookalikes if I've checked it in

Master
    I am a great believer in looking like a pauper when it comes to air travel so as not to attract attention. I use a 40 year old bashed up Billingham which is still good but attracts no attention. If I need a hardcase, then it's an old American Tourist which looks cheap but is actually quite robust. The main thin is not to attract attention.

I have friends who use a pair of his and her Louis Vuitton suitcases and both of them have had the locks forced twice. The insurance covered it, but it was still hassle to sort it out.

We have had an antler suitcase for the last 10 years, we don't travel a great deal but they are light, have a hard case and have lasted well. Cant image I would ever spend £1.5k on a suitcase.

Master
    Samsonite or American Tourister (same company) job done, agree with Mick P on this one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am a great believer in looking like a pauper when it comes to air travel so as not to attract attention. I use a 40 year old bashed up Billingham which is still good but attracts no attention. If I need a hardcase, then it's an old American Tourist which looks cheap but is actually quite robust. The main thin is not to attract attention.

I have friends who use a pair of his and her Louis Vuitton suitcases and both of them have had the locks forced twice. The insurance covered it, but it was still hassle to sort it out.
    Weren't you recommending Globetrotter last year?

I like the look of Rimowa, but not the price. My carry on is an Eastpak.

I bought a cheap Eminent case for flying to and from Mexico a while back - I was so pleased with the construction and looks, I bought a second one as a spare (cos like lots of things - they stop making good things). The original one is still looking good after around 100 flights, and similar number of helicopter flights offshore. The ‘spare’ remains unused.

https://www.eminent.com/

Have a look at them and read some reviews - they could still be a bargain, and ultra-dependable.
    Last edited by blackal; 17th September 2023 at 03:08.

I have an old large Rimowa aluminium suitcase that looks the part with the patina and requires a strap as locks no longer can be trusted. Super light, love it.

Also have a newer carry on from them. Not as sold, it’s very heavy.

Bought an Away for mrs and I’ve actually used that one for travelling recently as it’s lighter and more space due to being flexible. Also like the internal configuration better and built in dirty laundry bag is smart. Highly recommended.

https://www.awaytravel.com/en-uk

Edit. Our Away is plastic. They do aluminium as well.
    Last edited by jonasy; 16th September 2023 at 07:48.

Blog Entries
    Annoyingly the sizes have been reduced just enough so you can’t take your large carry on onboard now. Do check your airline else you could be in for an expensive suprise and wait for the luggage.

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Used to be a weekly flyer pre covid (and I don’t miss it) I worked for Samsonite for years so always favoured their stuff. Tried a rimowa and it lasted 7 months before the locks broke, it looked fantastic but as a piece of cabin baggage it was a pain, I got my money back and went back to using Samsonite

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Weren't you recommending Globetrotter last year?

I like the look of Rimowa, but not the price. My carry on is an Eastpak.
    Yes I did but one has to be realistic, a good suitcase on an airport carousel in baggage reclaim is as much a welcome sign to thieves as is a flash Rolex in a touristy district.

I now use cheap luggage carriers and wear insignificant watches when travelling. Times change unfortunately.

I bought a couple of the classic Samsonite clamshell cases just like the ones the airline cabin crew used. They lasted over 25 years, went around the world several times but were fairly heavy compared to modern cases. They’re still in use with my daughter and family and we bought new replacements about 10 years ago, Samsonite clamshell again but much lighter and tough spinner wheels. We found them to be really well made and if they’re good enough for cabin crew they’re good enough for me.
    I used to work for an airline, started off as a bag monkey in the 80s and then various departments over the next 30+ years and trust me, Ive seen plenty of cases ruined, split, burst open and “tampered with” both cheap nylon and very very expensive pieces of luggage.
    The one thing I would recommend for a suitcase is a clamshell design, they are far less prone to collapsing or being split open, if someone wants to have a snoop inside, they will get in no matter which lock you use (I’m talking about customs or security) but you could make it a little more difficult for anyone with light fingers who may happen to have a TSA key or something sharp by attaching a decent strap that’ll add a few moments before they eventually get in.
    For carry on we only take the essentials and valuables, I usually take my trusty old leather Mulberry hold all, a couple of outside pockets but it’s not that big and, it looks lovely and taken on a vintage patina but it wasn’t that expensive when I bought it decades ago. I never understood why people take big heavy hand luggage only to grab it miles around and airport for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Annoyingly the sizes have been reduced just enough so you can’t take your large carry on onboard now. Do check your airline else you could be in for an expensive suprise and wait for the luggage.

BA and EasyJet are more generous - 56 x 45 x 25cm - makes quite a difference.

Craftsman

I have the Topaz cabin luggage. Still prefer my Tumi Alpha as it’s lighter and very practical, full of pockets

Master
    If you want something off beat what about a Peli Air? The 1510 is carry on size iirc and the handlers will have a hell of a job damaging it!

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    If you want something off beat what about a Peli Air? The 1510 is carry on size iirc and the handlers will have a hell of a job damaging it!
    Weight.

Craftsman
    This pilot fella seems to know his onions. Briggs& Riley is in top spot..

https://thepilotwhoexplores.com/suit...ots-use/?amp=1

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    This pilot fella seems to know his onions. Briggs& Riley is in top spot..

https://thepilotwhoexplores.com/suit...ots-use/?amp=1
    Great if you are on the move half the year, but people typically go away a couple of times a year. So the case only gets 40-50 times of use over a 20 year period.

Anything like Eminent, Delsey, Samsonite, Antler, Eastpak etc. will last a couple of decades with light use, and as such I have perfectly serviceable case that are 20 years old that no longer fit the fashion. Fashion is probably the reason for change, rather than the cases wearing out.

But this is a watch forum, and a £10 Casio will do the same job as a £10k trinket of bling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Weight.
    Yeah the Air version is 4kg. But utterly bombproof — Rimowa carry on aluminium 4.3kg incidentally

Thanks guys and girls. Lots of good input here and lots to research. J

Master
    I currently have a Rimowa Bolera (plastic, not aluminium) which has seen quite a lot of action. It’s a 4 wheel spinners and is very easy to manoeuvre.
    One of the zips in the net organiser inside broke, along with one of the zip pull tabs on the outer side storage also broke. No big deal, I thought but wow, trying to get any service from Rimowa customer service was painful and when they finally made contact, the prices of replacement parts was outrageous, so it’ll have to do for now until I decide to go down the Briggs and Riley route.
    Last edited by alanm_3; 17th September 2023 at 08:22.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Yeah the Air version is 4kg. But utterly bombproof — Rimowa carry on aluminium 4.3kg incidentally
    Thanks, I had no idea there was an air version. An empty Billingham hovers around a kilo, I believe.

Blog Entries
    agreed. PIA we could not get flights with BA (who actually used AA anyway) - we fly to London on easyJet then onto Calif on AA.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    There are generally 2 standards as a guideline: 'international' vs 'domestic [USA]' standards. Safer to just go with the [smaller] International standard and generally never worry too much whether it will fit.

That being said, every airline has the right to their own bespoke size restrictions... hence another reason for soft or semi-rigid cabin luggage.

See: https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...ge-size-chart/

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    There are generally 2 standards as a guideline: 'international' vs 'domestic [USA]' standards. Safer to just go with the [smaller] International standard and generally never worry too much whether it will fit.

That being said, every airline has the right to their own bespoke size restrictions... hence another reason for soft or semi-rigid cabin luggage.

See: https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...ge-size-chart/
    Any link to those standards?

I prefer to have one large one (EasyJet and BA for example) and a smaller for others (Ryanair for example). Haven’t spent £hundreds and feel completely safe.

Master
    Any link to those standards?

I prefer to have one large one (EasyJet and BA for example) and a smaller for others (Ryanair for example). Haven’t spent £hundreds and feel completely safe.
    If you browse the Tumi/Rimowa websites, they both offer international and domestic size roll-ons. Else worth checking the link posted above per airline. At the end of the day, I just stick with the international size roll-on, and still overpack for many trips. I have only ever had my luggage weighed and sized once in Manila in 4 decades of flying and visiting over 100 countries.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I’ve got the non pro version and it’s very good. Much cheaper than the Rimowa too.

Craftsman
    Don't think you can go wrong with any of the Samsonite offerings that are made out of their CURV material.

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/lightwei...cases/?pages=2

- - - Updated - - -