closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Illegal to split ashes in Italy?

Illegal to split ashes in Italy?

My beloved Father recently passed away in Italy, where he spent the last few years of his retirement with his second wife. Unfortunately she is very difficult to deal with.

I asked for some of my Dad's ashes from her, and she said that my request was "silly" and besides, it's illegal in Italy.

I didn't think it was silly as I know people who have split ashes between siblings. Is it illegal though?

Almost certainly this will be founded in Roman Catholic doctrine. When (modern) cremation became popular in the western world, the Vatican outlawed it. When they subsequently revised that stance they insisted that cremated remains be buried in a consecrated cemetery or similar, not kept at home, not scattered and not divided.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My mother was RC, we split her ashes.

When I later spoke to a RC priest he told me it wasn't the done thing within the RC faith,though he wasn't judgemental about it.

As my mum was RC we wanted to do things as "she would have wished".

I asked the funeral directors if they could put them back together in one urn which they kindly did (this after speaking with my siblings who all agreed).

Everything we did was as we though she would want,that seemed only right.

As an aside the positive effect it had on my mother when my sister managed to get a RC priest to give her the last rites as she was dying stays with me.

Whatever you may believe, it brought her contentment and a brief flash of awareness,she knew he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    ...When they subsequently revised that stance they insisted that cremated remains be buried in a consecrated cemetery or similar, not kept at home, not scattered and not divided.
    One of my favourite words is 'columbarium'. I love the way it flows off the tongue.

WHAT IS A COLUMBARIUM?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    One of my favourite words is 'columbarium'. I love the way it flows off the tongue.

WHAT IS A COLUMBARIUM?
    Big business in Japan.

When my Dad passed 8 years ago we agreed to scatter his ashes in two separate places, half on his beloved bowling green and the other half on a favourite spot of his on the beach. He was Church of England, but not a regular religious man, but that didn’t even come into our thoughts, we discussed it as a family and we all went together to do it with several family members who wanted to scatter some of his ashes.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 12th September 2023 at 17:14.

Master
    I’m pretty sure that when you’re cremated in the UK you don’t necessarily get your relatives ashes back. Just a part of anyone who was cremated that day?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’m pretty sure that when you’re cremated in the UK you don’t necessarily get your relatives ashes back. Just a part of anyone who was cremated that day?
    I’m pretty sure that all UK cremations are individual ones, with exceptions for mother/child or similar situations etc.

That's incorrect

Master
    My days on this earth are numbered and when my son visited the local crematorium in his position of a local Councillor, I asked him to find out if the resultant ashes are for one person only or are they a mixed up compound of whatever. Fortunately he was able to report that the ashes are purely the ashes of the deceased.

The wife and I are discussing whether our ashes should be mixed or kept separate.

No, they are individual.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/25/e...ing/index.html

i like the idea of the shotgun shells!