closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Costco Membership?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Do you have a dog? I'm looking for something (with fewer calories than jelly beans or Skittles) to chew on during the day, so just wondering !

well my nose is usually wet and my hair is very shiny; so they seem to do the trick!

Tuesday and Wednesday mornings are quiet with a trade membership before it gets busy. (with loads of people buying stuff they don't need)
    Our regular buys are:
    £65 for 20litres of engine oil once a year.
    £5 for 40x stroopwaffles once a month.
    £6 for a 6-8kg water melon
    £10 for a 12 pack of Monster
    £8 or £9 for 24 cans of IronBru (the 4x 6 multi packs are cheaper)
    £18 for 4-litres of Kirkland ice cream

Organic tinned tomatoes are way cheaper than anything at the supermarkets, keep forever, and two trays last a month. Same with Cross & Blackwell baked beans. Washing and washing up stuff is miles cheaper, and their Kirkland 3 piece golf balls are lots cheaper than the main brands, are just as good for a medium/low handicapper and just as easy to loose 🤣
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I found it a bit of a waste of time, it’s usually packed full of people the only thing I really found decent was some of the fresh fish but other than that it was a bit like a bigger and 10x worse version of Asda.

Baked potatoes were quite nice though.

The meat's excellent, fruit and veg are a lot better than standard supermarket, the range of frozen fish/prawns etc is very good indeed, and there's always some weird shit to laugh at. The appallingly tacky Christmas decorations they have on sale are worth a trip just to goggle at - last time I was in there was an animatronic 6' high dancing punk skeleton for Halloween. God knows why they stocked it, but it made me giggle.

[IMG]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Having done the whole Macro and Costco membership thing over the years it's a fallacy. People buy loads of stuff (in bulk) that they ordinarily would not buy on a normal shopping trip.

I support my local butcher and veg shops for fresh stuff and hit Aldi for the washing/dishwasher/cleaning stuff, much better and I avoid the 20 mile drive to the nearest Costco.

That's my experience, also. As a family of only two we ended up only buying Branston baked beans and tinned tomatoes by the case but now they only ever seem to have Heinz beans in stock (at least in my local Costco) I'm jiggered if I'll drive all the there just to get tinned tomatoes when the local Lidl and Aldi own brand items are just as good and pretty much the same price... It's good for some but the annual membership fee kills any benefits for me.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    I buy there toilet rolls, they last twice as long and the quality is excellent. Black bin bags again excellent quality and well priced. There bottled water is like 3.50 for 24 bottles, so if having a party it’s a bargain. As others have said for meat and other frozen foods there are some good deals to be had. Their cakes are excellent value again for parties, otherwise if you eat them all you will soon be extremely fat.

Finally if you want say apple AirPods MacBooks etc. you can save money on things like that and TV’s. Plus they have excellent returns rules and long warranties.
    All of this in my experience!

Master
    Some stuff is cheaper, like bacon - but not everything
    Stuff that isn't cheaper is far better quality [no local butchers/greengrocers around]
    + they have stuff you don't see elsewhere.

[love the punk rocker Halloween figure]

Master
    I love Costco - but always end up coming back with completely randomn purchases whenever I do go - aka a fussball table last time i went

I always get my meat from there - great quality and prices in fact most of the kirkland stuff is great including the chicken nuggetts - sandwich bags, tin foil, washing powder, black bags, toilet rolls are all a staple part of my shop when I go along with the enchiladas and a curry from the delhi

Likewise I always fill up the car when I go and tyres when the offers are on are a no brainer

Also bigger purchase brought my log cabin from them and Garage door - excellent customer service as well whats not to like

I've traipsed around US Costco's as well and savings are a bit up and down but the fast food area with cheap giant hot dogs, pizzas and drinks etc stopped me from moaning too much.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    and a curry from the delhi
    No idea if this was an accident, but if not, brilliant!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    I use Reading, just back from cali and used my vard there as well. Works WW

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I hate Reading now they have put the petrol station in & made carnage of navigating the car park. Used to park by the tyre place, as some extra eyes on my car but it’s a right ball ache to get there vs taking the Smart & parking on the right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    No idea if this was an accident, but if not, brilliant!
    No punn intended :)

Craftsman
    We had family membership in the 00's and used to buy most of the bits and bobs already mentioned. Had some good stuff over the years.. still got my Estwing hammer and Master grip tool set. I once had an occasion (Xmas market stall) to purchase 300 mince pies (they were big'uns) and the trays were a challenge to squeeze into car. Still got an Intex Seahawk 4 boat.. used 3 times in 18years. My grandad always said.. "it's only a bargain if you needed it!".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I go there but a lot of stuff is always the same and a lot isn't any cheaper than supermarkets when the have offers on, the deals they do on car tyres is good as for petrol unless you go mid week at our local one you will be sitting in an hours queue to save 2p a litre
    In Derby it is closer to 8-10p/litre saving. I get there about 07:45 to 08:00 and rarely have to wait. I am a member and rarely go into the shop, just use it for the petrol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    In Derby it is closer to 8-10p/litre saving. I get there about 07:45 to 08:00 and rarely have to wait. I am a member and rarely go into the shop, just use it for the petrol.
    I drive past Southampton once a week and fill up- about 10p a litre saving for me- pays for the membership in no time. Never have to queue

Master
    I can't recommend it if the Birmingham one is your local.. I went today idiotically thinking I could just pop in and out with a couple of items and gave up. Massive queue to get into the plac due to fuel being 5p/litre cheaper and after I ditched the car on a nearby retail park and hiked over the queues in the store were half as long as the store itself. I abandoned my trolley and pissed off to M&S instead.

Just too much of a crushingly awful consumerism hell hole.

Went in today. Checked out the steaks, but didn't buy. 4 average striploin were $66 Canadian or £39.00, 3 for $46/£27.00 2 rib eyes were about $56 or £33

3 waygu were $191/£112.00

Also quite thick and I no longer have a BBQ, so oven broiling

Will check my local plaza meat section and compare prices on the rib eyes, but can't see myself paying $28.00/£16.00 for a steak

Prices look better in £'s until you do the exchange

I was once in Costco and saw a guy loading a huge TV onto a trolly. I'd recently bought one myself, so knew the current market prices for various sets. I told him his was £400 less in Curry's, a mile away up the road. He put it back.

Electronics are not competitive, other things are great. Their lasagne, for example, ridiculously good. Meat too.

Got their sourdough yesterday from the bakery. Comes in a two pack for £4.69. Very nice.

Place was dead for a weekend due to the heat. Good to know that warehouses accept online returns, was a surprise to me, but a dream with garden furniture.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Got their sourdough yesterday from the bakery. Comes in a two pack for £4.69. Very nice.

Place was dead for a weekend due to the heat. Good to know that warehouses accept online returns, was a surprise to me, but a dream with garden furniture.
    Had not spotted sourdough there. Need to look harder - it is amazing how many things you miss until speaking to others who shop there, like some salt & chilli belly slices..

Don’t, we did one half and were not a good flavour profile. Second half we washed before using my tried and tested home rub!

Had not spotted sourdough there. Need to look harder - it is amazing how many things you miss until speaking to others who shop there, like some salt & chilli belly slices..

Don’t, we did one half and were not a good flavour profile. Second half we washed before using my tried and tested home rub!
    Yeah, never seen them before and though I’d give it a go. I was only in that section to have a look at those massive birthday cakes to see how big they are in real life!

Almost finished one loaf today and gave half of the other to the in-laws so I’ll probably be back midweek for another two.

They’ve got airport size bags of M&Ms in at the moment but that’s suicide. If I was alone I would have bought them but my wife freaked out a bit when I suggested them.

Master
    I just noticed there is a documentary about Costco and it’s membership scheme on Netflix.

I haven’t watched it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yeah, never seen them before and though I’d give it a go. I was only in that section to have a look at those massive birthday cakes to see how big they are in real life!

Almost finished one loaf today and gave half of the other to the in-laws so I’ll probably be back midweek for another two.

They’ve got airport size bags of M&Ms in at the moment but that’s suicide. If I was alone I would have bought them but my wife freaked out a bit when I suggested them.
    Those bags are dangerous. Like the Fancy Nut Mix. It’s just a few thousand kcals tormenting you for the week until they are gone.

Will have a look for the bread whilst avoiding the cakes & pastries. I have always wanted to try the carrot cake as it just looks so moist, but don’t want to be eating it daily after guests all leave - as usually full of bbq!

Those bags are dangerous. Like the Fancy Nut Mix. It’s just a few thousand kcals tormenting you for the week until they are gone.

Will have a look for the bread whilst avoiding the cakes & pastries. I have always wanted to try the carrot cake as it just looks so moist, but don’t want to be eating it daily after guests all leave - as usually full of bbq!
    Croissants are good value and if you bag-em in the fridge - last a while

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Croissants are good value and if you bag-em in the fridge - last a while
    They dont even last the drive home, whatyoutalkinbout.

Master
    I always grab the ribs, cooked chickens, Brandy and something out the ordinary like a 50ft bouncy castle or a winch for a 4x4 that I don’t own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I always grab the ribs, cooked chickens, Brandy and something out the ordinary like a 50ft bouncy castle or a winch for a 4x4 that I don’t own.

Until you’ve had to hire a van for the hour to take home the impulse purchase, you haven’t lived!

Master
    Until you’ve had to hire a van for the hour to take home the impulse purchase, you haven’t lived!
    Not done it at Costco but bought so much at ikea when we popped in to get one thing we bought so much that me and the kids had to get the train
    home, carrying stuff and the wife drove home with the car rammed full of stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    That's my experience, also. As a family of only two we ended up only buying Branston baked beans and tinned tomatoes by the case but now they only ever seem to have Heinz beans in stock (at least in my local Costco) I'm jiggered if I'll drive all the there just to get tinned tomatoes when the local Lidl and Aldi own brand items are just as good and pretty much the same price... It's good for some but the annual membership fee kills any benefits for me.
    Stockwell Baked Beans in Tesco. 28p a tin.
    Try them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I’ve been following this thread as I too have been considering a Costco membership as the Sunbury store is 10 minutes from me.

I took it as a sign to join today as Costco representatives were onsite at my work.

So let the impulse buying commence!

Always seemed very elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No danger of that at all. Just look at the numbers eating Costco pizza, hot dogs and jacket potatoes with bottomless pop to know that the place is anything but elite

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    No danger of that at all. Just look at the numbers eating Costco pizza, hot dogs and jacket potatoes with bottomless pop to know that the place is anything but elite
    Nothing elite whatsoever.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thought membership was limited to self-employed, trade or certain professions, maybe that's changed.

Master
    Thought membership was limited to self-employed, trade or certain professions, maybe that's changed.
    There’s an article somewhere online
    that says they aren’t too fussy on joining requirements and it’s possible in some stores to join with an AA card

Master
    Any limited company, along with a long list of employment types from bank staff to solicitor and everything in between.

Plus then any sales rep etc. at a weekend, I wish it was elitism personified, more like people taking the family out to get fed on the free samples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any limited company, along with a long list of employment types from bank staff to solicitor and everything in between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So no plebs then.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So no plebs then.
    Work for a local company to them and even a hairy-bottomed welder can join

If you truly are a pleb then get a non-pleb to join, pay for their membership and get them to assign their second card to you - I'm 99% sure that'd work.

Master

If you truly are a pleb then get a non-pleb to join, pay for their membership and get them to assign their second card to you - I'm 99% sure that'd work.
    Or pay the fee for the 3rd card if the 2nd is in use.

I’ve no wish to join.

Smile

I’ve no wish to join.
    Other threads are available for topics you have an active interest in, or choose to post productively in….

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Other threads are available for topics you have an active interest in, or choose to post productively in….
    😂

My son-in-law was a member and I recall very good deals on Veuve Clicquot. That and toilet paper is all we ever bought there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Productive indeed.

You can get individual membership if your employer is on the pre approved list.

https://www.costco.co.uk/membership-list-of-businesses

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 14th September 2023 at 12:39.