closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Championship Fred 23/24

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Bristol have gifted us chances with their kamikaze passing out from the back.
    Last match of the season at home to Southampton could be massive for both teams!

Master
    Still a 1/3rd of the season to play but yep, that final game of the season could be a biggie. Leeds just not clinical enough at the moment to feel confident of staying ahead of Southampton and Ipswich. That said I think Ipswich will fade into the play offs (all respect to them thus far) and one or all of the top 3 will have a bad run so still all to play for.

Master
    all of you promotion chasers enjoying the limelight!

the bottom is also the usual battle between 4-8 clubs (depending on your thinking).

my lot, QPR, are putting me properly through all of the emotions at the moment. But at least we have picked up a few results to stay in touch with Huddersfiled while Millwall, Stoke, Blackburn and a couple of others are quietly slipping down towards us, shame Brum got rid of Rooney so soon!

we've had 3 6 pointers recently and picked up 2 draws and a defeat, which hasn't helped one bit. We consistently mess up in these games to not close the gap when presented with the opportunity

back to you guys and your promotion dreams!

A couple of weeks ago I watched the documentary The Five Year Plan - I'm sure you're aware of it. Amazing insight of what went on at your club at the time. Could have been called "how not to run a football club" but it worked and you got to the promised land.

A cracking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post

the bottom is also the usual battle between 4-8 clubs (depending on your thinking).

my lot, QPR, are putting me properly through all of the emotions at the moment. But at least we have picked up a few results to stay in touch with Huddersfiled while Millwall, Stoke, Blackburn and a couple of others are quietly slipping down towards us, shame Brum got rid of Rooney so soon!

we've had 3 6 pointers recently and picked up 2 draws and a defeat, which hasn't helped one bit. We consistently mess up in these games to not close the gap when presented with the opportunity

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I watched the documentary The Five Year Plan - I'm sure you're aware of it. Amazing insight of what went on at your club at the time. Could have been called "how not to run a football club" but it worked and you got to the promised land.

A cracking watch.
    worst horror film for me....got to the promised land ahead of schedule and then royally fecked it up.....twice.

£42m ffp fine that we are still carrying around now.

was a great team to watch though, with Adele Taraabt unplayable and worth the ticket money alone

Master
    As a Hull fan I’m well aware of poor ownership and what it can do to a club. What a difference a couple of years have made… we’ve gone from selling every decent player we had, crowds of 8000 and relegation to a decent chance of promotion thanks to a quite brilliant owner in front of sell out crowds. We had a really good January transfer window and in Philogene, Zaroury and Carvalho we have some serious talent, promotion is a real possibility. Even if we don’t do it this season, and I don’t think we will, the positivity and buzz around the team is great. My 5 year old got his first season ticket this year… I hope he doesn’t think this is normal for Hull!!

Master
    Can't beat the rollercoaster of abject failure, mediocrity and a bit of success. I actually feel sorry for those who don't experience the full range of emotions!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    As a Hull fan I’m well aware of poor ownership and what it can do to a club. What a difference a couple of years have made… we’ve gone from selling every decent player we had, crowds of 8000 and relegation to a decent chance of promotion thanks to a quite brilliant owner in front of sell out crowds. We had a really good January transfer window and in Philogene, Zaroury and Carvalho we have some serious talent, promotion is a real possibility. Even if we don’t do it this season, and I don’t think we will, the positivity and buzz around the team is great. My 5 year old got his first season ticket this year… I hope he doesn’t think this is normal for Hull!!
    You've been in and around the playoffs most of the season and until last week it looked liked Coventry were nailed on for one of those positions.
    Judging by you're last few results it's win or loose (last 12 won 6 lost 6).
    It's going to be very difficult for you to make the top six unless you get a good unbeaten run together.

Way to go Huddersfield, keep up the good work!

Bugger bugger bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Bugger bugger bugger.
    I think Southampton are currently a better team than Leicester, they just had a slow start to the season.

Ipswich fading badly though

Bugger bugger bugger.
    Shouldn't that be "Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger"?

Good win for us today, but we really should have converted more of our chances against Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Shouldn't that be "Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger"?

Good win for us today, but we really should have converted more of our chances against Rotherham.
    Yes, in the end it should. Still, at least Ipswich seem to be fading, just need Southampton to have a bad patch four points worse than any Leeds bad patch.

Grand Master
    The next two weeks are season defining for us I think, two tricky away ties and then Leicester at home. Win those three and the run to the end of the season looks easier. Lose more than one and playoffs beckon. If Southampton pip us then the only other team that would worry me in the playoffs is Sunderland , on their day they can be brilliant.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Was anyone here at the saints game as that was a crazy result.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think Southampton are currently a better team than Leicester, they just had a slow start to the season.

Ipswich fading badly though
    Southampton better than Leicester? ;-)

I have 11 reasons as to why that may be inaccurate!!!

Rovrum gone, but anyone from 18 down to 23 just needs to string together 2 or 3 results and they’re safe

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

He did say currently and is correct; in the last six games, Leicester have won four, drawn one and lost one whilst Southampton have won five and drawn one.
    So Southampton have gained 17 points whilst Leicester have gained only 14. Leeds are also on a par with Southampton but I don’t see either team catching Leicester.

Rovrum gone, but anyone from 18 down to 23 just needs to string together 2 or 3 results and they’re safe
    I mean at the present moment. Leicester have been the best team overall and deserve to be where they are, I just think on current form Southampton are on a 25 match unbeaten run and the reason they are 11 points behind Leicester (albeit with a match in hand) is largely due to their terrible start.

Southampton also boast the highest average possession of any team in Europe's top 5 countries (even higher than Man City, Real Madrid, PSG etc) of 66% average possession.

I just think Southampton would be the last team anyone would want to play just now but of course over the whole season the table doesn't lie and Leicester are top for good reason and will get promoted whereas Southampton could see their crazy unbeaten run end and there is a chance Leeds could catch them (I think Ipswich are done now though).
    Last edited by ryanb741; 11th February 2024 at 10:34.

He did say currently and is correct; in the last six games, Leicester have won four, drawn one and lost one whilst Southampton have won five and drawn one.
    So Southampton have gained 17 points whilst Leicester have gained only 14. Leeds are also on a par with Southampton but I don’t see either team catching Leicester.
    Yep but also 25 games unbeaten as well.

Looking at fixtures to come, obviously the game at Elland Road will be absolutely massive, but also Southampton go to West Brom next Friday and also go to the King Power stadium in mid March. If I were a Leeds fan looking for where Saints may slip then those would be 2 obvious matches.

I do think that if Southampton or Leeds finish 3rd then I can't see who could live with either in the Play Offs, although there's always a bit of a lottery about that and the final often brings out an unexpected result. But it just looks like the three sides who went down last year are a clear level above the rest in the Championship.

Craftsman
    Yep but also 25 games unbeaten as well.

Looking at fixtures to come, obviously the game at Elland Road will be absolutely massive, but also Southampton go to West Brom next Friday and also go to the King Power stadium in mid March. If I were a Leeds fan looking for where Saints may slip then those would be 2 obvious matches.

I do think that if Southampton or Leeds finish 3rd then I can't see who could live with either in the Play Offs, although there's always a bit of a lottery about that and the final often brings out an unexpected result. But it just looks like the three sides who went down last year are a clear level above the rest in the Championship.
    As any Leeds fan will tell you we don't want a playoff.
    We were in the first 2nd division playoff in 87 which we lost and have won it since.

Blog Entries
    I mean at the present moment. Leicester have been the best team overall and deserve to be where they are, I just think on current form Southampton are on a 25 match unbeaten run and the reason they are 11 points behind Leicester (albeit with a match in hand) is largely due to their terrible start.

Southampton also boast the highest average possession of any team in Europe's top 5 countries (even higher than Man City, Real Madrid, PSG etc) of 66% average possession.

I just think Southampton would be the last team anyone would want to play just now but of course over the whole season the table doesn't lie and Leicester are top for good reason and will get promoted whereas Southampton could see their crazy unbeaten run end and there is a chance Leeds could catch them (I think Ipswich are done now though).
    Ok, I take your point…. It’s still debatable though…. We can all take stats between x and Y date to work in our favour

Southampton shipped 3 against Huddersfield yesterday

Leicester weren’t at their tippy top yesterday, but our second goal is a goal only we could score in this division

Our demolition of Stoke last week was a site to behold…

Be interesting to see how we go toe to toe at the KP

I think Ipswich are out of it too…. Leeds are a bit hot and cold and, dare I say it, overhyped…. Southampton appear to be the best equipped for promotion after Leicester

As a lifelong Leeds fan, I believe Southampton will go up automatically with Leicester but still feel that, since Christmas, Leicester have been a bit shaky relative to Leeds and Southampton.

Leeds keep coming good lately but I’m never 100% confident in them and as mentioned a little earlier, the playoffs will be a lottery and something we’ve never managed to successfully negotiate.

Blog Entries
    As a lifelong Leeds fan, I believe Southampton will go up automatically with Leicester but still feel that, since Christmas, Leicester have been a bit shaky relative to Leeds and Southampton.

Leeds keep coming good lately but I’m never 100% confident in them and as mentioned a little earlier, the playoffs will be a lottery and something we’ve never managed to successfully negotiate.
    I don’t fully disagree…. But, it’s been one defeat and one draw in 5 (our rough patch)…. When we turn it on, we’re objectively the best in the league…. We need to go through the gears a bit more confidently

Top two is a must for the three teams competing for second place…. As you say, the playoffs are a lottery…. Great fun if you win though (wistfully recalling being at Wembley and watching Super Stevie shin one in v Palace!)

I do agree, Leicester are the best team in the championship, Southampton second and Leeds third, the fact that it currently coincides with their league positions is no coincidence.

Both Leicester and Southampton having being long established premiership teams and the three seasons Leeds spent there have ensured that.

That it’s also quite possible that the three promoted teams last season could be the three relegated this season is an indication of just how much difference the premiership money makes and the gap is getting wider each season. I don’t think it will be too long before it’s a given that the three relegated sides each season will be promoted the next.

Should my prediction prove wrong and Everton be relegated, I fully expect them to return as champions for the 25/26 season.

Master
    Long way to go yet, I recall Southampton have the toughest run in, only a few wins against the top 6/10 sides and so it may yet come down to the final game of the season at ER. If Leeds can be more clinical in front of goal I think they'll finish 2nd as expect Southampton to have a bad patch (asap please!).

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Long way to go yet, I recall Southampton have the toughest run in, only a few wins against the top 6/10 sides and so it may yet come down to the final game of the season at ER. If Leeds can be more clinical in front of goal I think they'll finish 2nd as expect Southampton to have a bad patch (asap please!).
    Here’s hoping.

Master
    Leicester now getting a few back from AFCON which should improve them slightly. Really pleased with Soton comeback against Huddersfield. Bottom is still as competitive as the top, as it is every season in this division.

Millwall, Stoke & Brum by no means safe and plenty of 6 pointer at both ends to come

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    chatting to a Leeds mate and he was pointing out how few goals you've shipped of late, only 1 in the last 6 since losing to WBA. so Leeds are also hitting form at the right time; going to be a cracking run in

Master
    chatting to a Leeds mate and he was pointing out how few goals you've shipped of late, only 1 in the last 6 since losing to WBA. so Leeds are also hitting form at the right time; going to be a cracking run in
    That's since Ampadu dropped into a CB pairing with Rodon, following Strjuyk's injury. Whilst Ampadu has been very good as one of two holding MFs is hard to see him playing there again for a while, especially as we've signed a RB which allows for Gray to revert to midfield.
    Like you say, it could be a great run in, although I appreciate that the top 3 places being dominated by relegated sides is less than ideal for the league (but indicative of the growing financial gulf between the PL and the Championship). That said, Leeds fans won't be counting any chickens!

Leeds/Southampton both have banana skin away games this evening.

Leeds/Southampton both have banana skin away games this evening.
    Not such a banana skin for Leeds it seems!

Craftsman
    Not such a banana skin for Leeds it seems!
    Plymouth away Saturday will be a hard one.

Saints 1-0 down at Bristol City.

I think the three points are probably safe for Leeds now, let’s hope Bristol don’t let it slip now.

It feels like we've spent a large proportion of this season playing against Plymouth!

(And thank you to any Bristol City fans out there...)

Blog Entries
    Crazy game for us tonight. Bossed it for 40 mins, looked like a pub team 30 mins, subs made and bossed the final third.

Enjoyable and painful

OTBC

Pitch

Blog Entries
    14 pts clear now for Leicester…. Sublime first half and then a bit of dull ‘game management’ second half

That Barry Bannan is pretty good for Wednesday….

Blog Entries
    Never in doubt buddy, by far the best team to grace Carra Rud this season.

We are still hanging in the play offs FFS. It’s gotta be us and the scummers in the play off final.

Hugs at ya.

Pitch

14 pts clear now for Leicester…. Sublime first half and then a bit of dull ‘game management’ second half

That Barry Bannan is pretty good for Wednesday….
    No, it’s only twelve points and could be eleven if Southampton win the game in hand.

Blog Entries
    No, it’s only twelve points and could be eleven if Southampton win the game in hand.
    I think Foxy fan is referring to auto’s not title bud.

Pitch

Master
    typical QPR, cocked up another 6 pointer. Beat teams that are mid table but always blow it when it really counts. Could have gone out of bottom 3 but instead hand a 6 point margin to Stoke,

FML!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Pitch
    Cheers, yes they’re 14 points clear of third, I don’t think they’ve anything to worry about though!

Craftsman
    typical QPR, cocked up another 6 pointer. Beat teams that are mid table but always blow it when it really counts. Could have gone out of bottom 3 but instead hand a 6 point margin to Stoke,

FML!
    A big win for Stoke who have been in freefall.
    It doesn't help when you have the worst home record in the division.

Master
    A big win for Stoke who have been in freefall.
    It doesn't help when you have the worst home record in the division.
    we have had 5 separate games that would have taken us out of the bottom 3, including last nights, and have failed to win any of them.

we have history for this; if your centre forward hasn't scored for 6 months, start him against us and he'll have one bounce in off his arse!

after a really positive display against Norwich (play off contenders) we then go to Stoke (dropping like a stone, 2 wins in 17) and play like a geriatric veterans side.

when friends ask why I support QPR, I say it's great preparation for all of the other shit life throws at you!

Blog Entries
    Never in doubt buddy, by far the best team to grace Carra Rud this season.

We are still hanging in the play offs FFS. It’s gotta be us and the scummers in the play off final.

Hugs at ya.

Pitch
    Wotcha Paulo…. Let’s have a chinwag soon x

Autos

Pitch
    Sharp as ever!

Cheers, yes they’re 14 points clear of third, I don’t think they’ve anything to worry about though!
    I hope not, but it is Leicester we’re talking about…. Anything’s possible !

Going to be nip and tuck with Leeds and Southampton…. It’s like an F1 race where the focus should be on the bit of the race that’s a bit tighter…. I will out myself as having a soft spot for Leeds…. My step dad is a fan and he took me on his season tickets under the later Kendall years…. Yeboah and all that…. I hope you come up with us…

Craftsman
    A good win for Southampton tonight and well deserved.
    However, West Brom substituting the front three at the same time made them lose all shape and apart from one second half effort they didn't seem to have a clue.

A good win for Southampton tonight and well deserved.
    However, West Brom substituting the front three at the same time made them lose all shape and apart from one second half effort they didn't seem to have a clue.
    Yeah they looked like a PL side - that being said what a nonsense red card for the West Brom manager. Surely common sense should prevail in these instances!

Great thread. Ipswich season ticket holder here. Enjoying the season so far. A far cry from our last time in the Champ and subsequent 4 year spell in the League 1 wilderness. Still lots of matches to play and points to play for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mappa View Post
    Great thread. Ipswich season ticket holder here. Enjoying the season so far. A far cry from our last time in the Champ and subsequent 4 year spell in the League 1 wilderness. Still lots of matches to play and points to play for.

And Ipswich certainly aren’t out of it yet. With three teams who really can’t afford to not win, even Leicester who are 11 points clear cannot afford to take their foot off the gas.

The final run in is going to be nerve wracking for all four sets of supporters.

And Ipswich certainly aren’t out of it yet. With three teams who really can’t afford to not win, even Leicester who are 11 points clear cannot afford to take their foot off the gas.

The final run in is going to be nerve wracking for all four sets of supporters.
    It will indeed, a favourable run (on paper) for Ipswich with only Soton at home left to play from the main protagonists, should keep us in the hunt. Our blip coincided with a tough run of fixtures and more importantly an injury to George Hirst who is critical to how we play, with others unable to replicate him, hopefully the Jan window has addressed that.