closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Championship Fred 23/24

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    A bad day at the office for Leeds last night .
    Ipswich just keep going, what a season for them.
    Sunderland looked very dangerous.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I've watched a lot of Sunderland games as my wife and her family follow the scum. They've been transformed under Mowbray into a front-foot, attacking team that are really good to watch. If they had a striker, any striker, they'd be higher up the league as they create loads of changes. If they had a 20 goal a season striker they might even be pushing for the top two places.

Nobody can understand why they haven't brought in a goal scorer after all this time. They also can't understand why Mowbray was sacked, especially as they clearly have no idea who they want to replace him. Yet again with 5under1and they make terrible, knee-jerk decisions that only ever harm the club. The weird thing is that every owner and board make the same stupid decisions, it's been going on for years and years.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, Sunderland til I Die is the best football docuseries I've ever seen. Go and watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Sunderland looked very dangerous.

As a Watford supporter this season has been a revelation. We’re not going to challenge for automatic promotion but we have an outside chance of the playoffs. We haven’t got the quality of individual players anymore, but we have got a team spirit going and the players that we have are building a relationship with the fans that the overpaid mercenaries of the last five or six years could never be bothered to build. They try their best which is something we haven’t seen for a long time. Only a week to go and we’ll have made it all the way to Christmas without sacking a manager!

Craftsman
    A fantastic performance from Leeds yesterday.
    Also another win for Leicester who look like a certainty for top spot.
    Saints keeping pressure on the teams above them, and are on a great run of form.

A fantastic performance from Leeds yesterday.
    Also another win for Leicester who look like a certainty for top spot.
    Saints keeping pressure on the teams above them, and are on a great run of form.
    It was a fantastic result and hopefully will shake Ipswich’s confidence enough for Leeds to take that second spot away from them. Another loss against Leicester on Tuesday would help too.

With the way Southampton are playing, I’d not be confident of Leeds winning the playoffs as our record there is poor.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It was a fantastic result and hopefully will shake Ipswich’s confidence enough for Leeds to take that second spot away from them. Another loss against Leicester on Tuesday would help too.

With the way Southampton are playing, I’d not be confident of Leeds winning the playoffs as our record there is poor.
    Poor old Leif Davis had a mare yesterday, scoring an own goal and giving the penalty away.
    Got subbed off and had to walk past the Kop with everyone singing "You're Leeds and you know you are".
    Our last game of the season is at home to Southampton.

Master
    Always fancied we'd beat Ipswich as they'd come to play, rather than sit in, and we're a better counter attacking side than one breaking down 11 men behind the ball.
    I suspect Ipswich will fall away in the second half of the season (but credit to them so far!) so should be between Leeds and Saints for 2nd. I think we may just sneak it but would be very Leeds to finish 20pts ahead of 6th and lose to them in the play offs.

How on earth are Southampton not in front?

Anyone watching Saints Plymouth can see why we have VAR. Plymouth have a clearly onside goal disallowed, Saints take the free kick, go up the other end and score, all within 15 seconds of the Plymouth goal wrongly being disallowed.

I hope this Sunderland turns up against us in the cup next week, absolutely clueless. Made a hundred passes in their own half but don’t have a clue how to get over the halfway line and not a single shot on target. Terrible.

Craftsman
    Let's see what the January transfer window brings.
    I wouldn't say know to a left back and a creative midfielder.

I watched Sunderland beat Preston 2-0 at the weekend. Sunderland are a poor team and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, struggled to scrape a draw with bottom of the league Rotherham last week. However Preston are the worst team I've seen at any professional level this season. Truly dreadful and devoid of any ideas at all.

We (Newcastle) play Sunderland in the FA Cup at their place this weekend and I'll state this now. I expect us to win that game comfortably and anything less isn't acceptable. We have international players from England, Holland, Brazil, Sweden and Slovakia throughout the team and there isn't anyone in the Sunderland team that has played against players of that quality or a team of our quality. They shouldn't be able to lay a glove on us.

A win is the minimum expectation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I watched Sunderland beat Preston 2-0 at the weekend. Sunderland are a poor team and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, struggled to scrape a draw with bottom of the league Rotherham last week. However Preston are the worst team I've seen at any professional level this season. Truly dreadful and devoid of any ideas at all.

We (Newcastle) play Sunderland in the FA Cup at their place this weekend and I'll state this now. I expect us to win that game comfortably and anything less isn't acceptable. We have international players from England, Holland, Brazil, Sweden and Slovakia throughout the team and there isn't anyone in the Sunderland team that has played against players of that quality or a team of our quality. They shouldn't be able to lay a glove on us.

A win is the minimum expectation.
    So spending £350m of Sports-washed money and at last you can beat SAFC. I expect no less either and at last you can get bragging rights and get yourself into the Championship thread for gloating.

Obsessed.

No blood on our hands.

Enjoy Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    So spending £350m of Sports-washed money and at last you can beat SAFC. I expect no less either and at last you can get bragging rights and get yourself into the Championship thread for gloating.

Obsessed.

No blood on our hands.

Enjoy Saturday.
    Hear hear.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Wow! So if a Saudi consortium bought your club you'd stop supporting them? Behave man. You'd be yapping about what players you were going to buy and how quickly you'd be getting back into the EPL, just like every other fan of every other club would be doing. If you disagree you're lying but if you would stop supporting them on human rights principles then you have my utmost respect.

Throwing easy sound bites around like sports washing and blood on hands is boring now. You really need to put a lot more thought into your attempted put downs.

What's with the 'obsessed' thing? No Newcastle fan gives a flying toss about about Sunderland. Apart from this game on Saturday we never give yous a passing thought as you're totally irrelevant to us.

Obsessed.

No blood on our hands.

Enjoy Saturday.

Blog Entries
    Wow! So if a Saudi consortium bought your club you'd stop supporting them? Behave man. You'd be yapping about what players you were going to buy and how quickly you'd be getting back into the EPL, just like every other fan of every other club would be doing. If you disagree you're lying but if you would stop supporting them on human rights principles then you have my utmost respect.

Throwing easy sound bites around like sports washing and blood on hands is boring now. You really need to put a lot more thought into your attempted put downs.

What's with the 'obsessed' thing? No Newcastle fan gives a flying toss about about Sunderland. Apart from this game on Saturday we never give yous a passing thought as you're totally irrelevant to us.
    Its one of the biggest club rivalries in England… you’re starting to sound daft!!!

Blog Entries
    Anyway…. Bugger off and start an FA Cup thread!

I hadn’t seen this thread before…. The Championship is great and I’m loving it

Can we ‘pass’ on promotion if we do win the league?

What's left if human rights have no relevance? Seriously, have a look at yourself.

Sorry Wolfie I've read it back and it doesn't read how I intended it to. Of course it's a huge rivalry, what I meant is that we (the collective we) don't spend our time "obsessing" about what they're doing as was suggested by the right honourable member. A few of us were just saying a couple of weeks ago that you don't really hear anti Sunderland songs in the ground very much these days because they're not on our radar any more in football terms. We have our priorities and they have theirs and when our paths don't cross very often I guess it reduces the attention paid to the other. I watch most Sunderland games because my wife and all her family support them and I don't remember hearing anti Newcastle songs lately either. That's all I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Its one of the biggest club rivalries in England… you’re starting to sound daft!!!

Loads of teams say that it would be great to be able to defend their title and I totally understand that. It's such a great league to watch, proper football with very few prima donnas, divers and no VAR!!

Master

I am not going to get into an argument over this but for someone who doesn’t give a flying toss about Sunderland why make posts on a Championship thread about them regularly? Obsessed?

As to principles my extended family is split red and white and black and white. Since taking the Saudi money three diehard Mags have now moved to the R/W side and they go back decades. One even gave away all his old shirts. For some people principles are above sport. Fortunately I have not had to test myself in that respect. You obviously have.

Enjoy Saturday - if it remains in single figures I will be happy. Will make it 6-1 ;-)

Hi Ralf - so you'd stop supporting your club? Fair play if you would but you'd be in the minority of I'm guessing 1%.

Millions of Newcastle, Man City, Malaga and potentially Man Utd fans will also have to have a look at themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    What's left if human rights have no relevance? Seriously, have a look at yourself.

Blog Entries
    Loads of teams say that it would be great to be able to defend their title and I totally understand that. It's such a great league to watch, proper football with very few prima donnas, divers and no VAR!!
    No VAR…. It’s a dream…. It’s one of the single biggest benefits of being in the champ…

I love it that when we (inevitably) score that I can jump around with my son and my dad without fear of VAR killing the buzz

No real match going fan wants it….

Hi Ralf - so you'd stop supporting your club? Fair play if you would but you'd be in the minority of I'm guessing 1%.

Millions of Newcastle, Man City, Malaga and potentially Man Utd fans will also have to have a look at themselves.
    Yes, 100% I would - and all the other fans of my club as well.

I agree, ManC and PSG were bad already, but what Newcastle did is the worst of it all. Unbelievable how any fan can stick with them. I have no words.

Anyway…. Bugger off and start an FA Cup thread!

I hadn’t seen this thread before…. The Championship is great and I’m loving it

That’s ok with me!

I believe it's it's 51 - 48 wins in our favour but who's counting ;) They're really close numbers and I wonder whether other rivalries are as close.

I will be honest and say that, should our owners turn out to have been involved in any human rights abuses, then I wouldn't be supportive of the club while they were in charge. Otherwise we're at risk of saying all Saudis are bad and that is neither true nor acceptable to think / say.

As for the "die hard" fans switching sides, that didn't happen. Nobody believes that.

And I never enjoy derby games, they're far too stressful to be enjoyed.

As to principles my extended family is split red and white and black and white. Since taking the Saudi money three diehard Mags have now moved to the R/W side and they go back decades. One even gave away all his old shirts. For some people principles are above sport. Fortunately I have not had to test myself in that respect. You obviously have.

Enjoy Saturday - if it remains in single figures I will be happy. Will make it 6-1 ;-)

Spot on, that immediate release of joy has been removed from the PL. Awful.

No VAR…. It’s a dream…. It’s one of the single biggest benefits of being in the champ…

I love it that when we (inevitably) score that I can jump around with my son and my dad without fear of VAR killing the buzz

No real match going fan wants it….

Can you explain why you think that? Genuine question Ralf.

I agree, ManC and PSG were bad already, but what Newcastle did is the worst of it all. Unbelievable how any fan can stick with them. I have no words.

Master
    I've said for years that if my club suddenly had millions invested to instantly purchase a fantasy football style team I'd lose interest as I've disliked everything about the Chelskis of the PL. That would only be exacerbated if the owners were linked to despots, guilty of human rights violations etc.

I think it needs to be 'proven to be involved in....' rather than 'linked to'.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I've said for years that if my club suddenly had millions invested to instantly purchase a fantasy football style team I'd lose interest as I've disliked everything about the Chelskis of the PL. That would only be exacerbated if the owners were linked to despots, guilty of human rights violations etc.

Master
    I think it needs to be 'proven to be involved in....' rather than 'linked to'.
    Not for me it doesn't. The burden of proof can be subjective but it was well known Abramovic's wealth was derived from Putin and Newcastle's owners are, in many eyes, 'proven to be guilty of' murder.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 3rd January 2024 at 12:36.

Can you explain why you think that? Genuine question Ralf.
    Me thinks you are trying to kid yourself.

Yasir Al-Rumayyan is not only the chairman of Newcastle FC and CEO of the Saudi Public Investment Fund, but also a sitting Saudi government minister. The Public Investment Fund itself is a crucial part of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's system of control over Saudi Arabia.

Or do we need to discuss whether the Saudi government and MBS in particular were involved in atrocious human rights violations and the murder of Kemal Khashoggi?

Thanks I will definitely read those resources. I did some research at the time of the takeover and what I couldn’t see was proof. Lots of allegations and supposition but no proof or charges. The biggest thing I can’t get my head around is that if, for example Amanda Staveley, knows or believes that her colleagues and employers committed murder, how could she want to remain involved with them? It would be incredibly Machiavellian of her to be the happy smiling face at the front of such terrible crimes.

Me thinks you are trying to kid yourself.

Yasir Al-Rumayyan is not only the chairman of Newcastle FC and CEO of the Saudi Public Investment Fund, but also a sitting Saudi government minister. The Public Investment Fund itself is a crucial part of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's system of control over Saudi Arabia.

Or do we need to discuss whether the Saudi government and MBS in particular were involved in atrocious human rights violations and the murder of Kemal Khashoggi?

Chop, chop.

Master
    Willful ignorance where money and power are involved is a real thing. It's naive in the extreme to think otherwise but those fans who don't want to see it, won't.

Anyway, back to the Championship....

Indeed, apologies for derailing. I’ll bugger off now.

Willful ignorance where money and power are involved is a real thing. It's naive in the extreme to think otherwise but those fans who don't want to see it, won't.

Anyway, back to the Championship....

Thanks I will definitely read those resources. I did some research at the time of the takeover and what I couldn’t see was proof. Lots of allegations and supposition but no proof or charges. The biggest thing I can’t get my head around is that if, for example Amanda Staveley, knows or believes that her colleagues and employers committed murder, how could she want to remain involved with them? It would be incredibly Machiavellian of her to be the happy smiling face at the front of such terrible crimes.
    You are kidding yourself, thanks for confirming.

Staveley's entire business model with PCP Capital is to facilitate Middle Eastern investments into UK assets, starting with Barclays and Manchester City and ending with Newcastle FC.

By now, she is an asset of Saudi Arabia: https://www.ft.com/content/3c2c6fef-...3-037685616e74

Blog Entries
    That’s ok with me!
    You’d have secure 3rd first of all 😂

You’d have secure 3rd first of all 😂
    Indeed, a bit of a slip up over Christmas.

I’m still confident that Ipswich will tail off, it’s just the damned Saints we have to be ahead of and I think they’re more likely to be our main rivals for second.

Your lot are clearing off into the distance.

I can honestly see the three promoted sides from last season being relegated and the three relegated sides being promoted.

Master
    .... and the three relegated sides being promoted.
    This has to be the aim but I think many (Leeds) fans would prefer winning games in the championship to really struggling in the PL.

Master
    The only thing about getting promoted is the money and then parachute payments. Helps for when you go down again (well obviously not for SAFC).

This has to be the aim but I think many (Leeds) fans would prefer winning games in the championship to really struggling in the PL.
    Personally, I’d rather a few years struggling in the premiership than winning in the championship. The longer they stay up, the more likely it is to climb to a mid table position and then in to greater things.

Winning games in the championship won’t achieve this, struggling in the premiership is a necessary stage the club need to go through. I’m thinking of the Brighton model here.

Master
    Winning games in the championship won’t achieve this, struggling in the premiership is a necessary stage the club need to go through.
    The reality is that to achieve top half PL on a regular basis will require the 49ers or someone similar to invest heavily in the club as well as some luck and a decent manager. Brighton are a great model but the exception and still have the potential for a couple of rough years to undo their good work. I appreciate that's got to be the aim but joining the PL elite isn't the be all and end all for all fans.

The reality is that to achieve top half PL on a regular basis will require the 49ers or someone similar to invest heavily in the club as well as some luck and a decent manager. Brighton are a great model but the exception and still have the potential for a couple of rough years to undo their good work. I appreciate that's got to be the aim but joining the PL elite isn't the be all and end all for all fans.
    I hear what you’re saying, it’s always nice to be winning and this season is a refreshing change from the last few in the premiership.

I can’t help feeling that settling for second best is really just giving up though.

Master
    Pleased with our win over Leicester. Sadly it feels like another season where whoever gets promoted will struggle to stay up but come back to the Championship with a large parachute payment that makes it difficult for others to compete.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Pleased with our win over Leicester. Sadly it feels like another season where whoever gets promoted will struggle to stay up but come back to the Championship with a large parachute payment that makes it difficult for others to compete.
    Sadly??? Nah ;-). !!!!

Happy to help a neighbour out…. We can’t take all the points!

Big game tonight between Leicester and Ipswich. Both will be looking over their shoulder at Southampton (who are on a club record 21 game unbeaten run). Leeds also not out of it for automatic promotion.

Craftsman
    A chance for Leeds to claim second spot tonight, albeit temporarily.
    Away form hasn't been great this season but a good win at Cardiff and Peterborough in the Fa cup gives us optimism for the rest of the season.

A chance for Leeds to claim second spot tonight, albeit temporarily.
    Away form hasn't been great this season but a good win at Cardiff and Peterborough in the Fa cup gives us optimism for the rest of the season.
    Leeds could be out of sight here but still 0-0 at the break

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Leeds could be out of sight here but still 0-0 at the break
    Bristol have gifted us chances with their kamikaze passing out from the back.