closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Swatch x Blancpain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It does make you wonder though why someone wouldn't just wait for the stainless and sapphire, Seiko powered Pagani Design lookalikes that will inevitably follow.

I guess it's just the power of the name...

M
    Can’t you already get a lookalike Blancpain though? No need to look like a plastic Blancpain.

steeldive for example - which are cheaper

https://www.steeldives.com/collectio...teeldive-watch
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th September 2023 at 19:01.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I think that Swatch Group understand the current trends well and things like this could help the entire industry in the long run. The young people that either wear a smart watch or no watch now probably won’t hit forty and suddenly think “I need a Rolex/Omega/Patek.” Higher end sales are holding up much better because they are still selling to the same customers that have always worn a watch, it’s the younger buyers that need to be targeted if the industry is to have a future.
    I think you are right. I have a Fifty Fathoms and on a personal level, have no interest in the Swatch options but this does help to raise the profile of watches outside of Apple and designer brands, to those that will be the future for the watch industry. For that and despite the immediate scalpers, I'm all in favour.

Grand Master
    So we going to see the same hype and hysteria as the MoonSwatch!.

Not a Blancpain,Not a Speedy.......damn got to get one mentality on the way!.

Difference this time is that everyone knew what a Speedmaster was and they had heard of Omega. Will the average Joe on the street have heard of Blancpain or their hallowed Fifty Fathoms.

Be funny if the queue turned out to be just a few balding fat watch forum sados.

Shibuya, Tokyo this morning. About 20 minutes before opening:

A well-behaved queue. A little hard to see here but it stretches off to the right in this photo beyond line of sight.

Panorama...

In this photo, the Swatch store is actually off-picture to the left, and the queue hasn't stopped all the way to the right, deep into the out of focus area. A distance of about 200m

Looks like most have stayed overnight, through the typhoon. There may be some balding watch forum saddos but overall I think Swatch have done it again. How many of these are potential future Swatch or Blancpain customers versus flippers is debatable, but Swatch will make a lot of money and get a lot of free advertising and brand awareness.

I expect other luxury houses have taken note. A plastic Swatch x Hermès Birkin?

Zürich airport. Unfortunately my connection is too tight and there are some indecisive idiots who are trying every option on.
    Blue is the one, in my view.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Zürich airport. Unfortunately my connection is too tight and there are some indecisive idiots who are trying every option on.
    Shame, so close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    According to ‘The Times’ collectors face a race against time to land one of these. Well whoopie for the collectors.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    According to ‘The Times’ collectors face a race against time to land one of these. Well whoopie for the collectors.
    Lol even though they aren’t limited edition

Craftsman

Glasgow right now

Came in on the off chance the line wouldn’t be that big. Not prepared to wait another hour and a half and possibly not get one so heading home

Master
    That's a shame, did you get a look at the white one? I'm between the two!

Loads already listed on e-bay. I’ll just keep whistling ‘Walk on by’…

Master
    Maybe I’m wrong, but those queue photos don’t seem to anywhere near the ones I saw on opening day for the Moonswatch.
    I turned up on Moonswatch day to the Edinburgh store and was quite astounded by the scenes.

Master
    Cheap plastic watch with a basic dial and cheap movement...... what's not to like. Oh, it's only £350 if you can get one.

The world has gone absolutely mad!!

I don't get the current watch market at all. Overpriced is an understatement when discussing any known brand. Yet brands like Certina, Hamilton etc are frowned upon but Seiko is charging £10k+ for its latest top end diver.

Absolutely insane. I'll not be joining any queue for any of these swatch Collab watches.

I'm getting too old and grumpy ;-)

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have seen lots of young people wearing a Moonswatch so I think its a great move from Swatch. Get them interested in the brand at a young age and eventually they may progress to the real deal.

Also think that new Blancpain x Swatch looks like a fun watch for £340, I do not see why there is so many against them.

It's very clever marketing from the Swatch group.
    Likewise.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Cheap plastic watch with a basic dial and cheap movement...... what's not to like. Oh, it's only £350 if you can get one.

The world has gone absolutely mad!!

I don't get the current watch market at all. Overpriced is an understatement when discussing any known brand. Yet brands like Certina, Hamilton etc are frowned upon but Seiko is charging £10k+ for its latest top end diver.

Absolutely insane. I'll not be joining any queue for any of these swatch Collab watches.

I'm getting too old and grumpy ;-)

Be carefull, someone will be along to call you a hater soon ;)

Grand Master
    Moonswatch had just about reached critical mass. Easy to get in most colours and not selling for more than RRP as they are not limited.

Once the Neptune colour is sorted, as I sense it now is, then they will be standard and easy to get.

BP will be hot till christmas maybe then fade away.
    RIAC

Looking on eBay (prices made me laugh!) it seems the white and blue are the must have models. I quite like the blue and orange and may pick one up in the future at retail but the green looks horrible

Master
    I think similar to the Moonswatch launch, we perhaps forget that this latest X collab isn’t aimed at the folks who make up most of the demographic on here, so not surprising so many of us ‘don’t get it’!

This sort of launch is more akin to the queues you see for the latest trainers, or games console, it’s aimed a few decades below most of us, and overall I don’t see the harm if it gets people into watches.

This watch is no more directly aimed at me than a £10k Blancpain is aimed at many of the folks in the queue. The fact a few of us might like the watches, as enthusiasts generally, is also fine, as is telling everybody that you’re not going to buy one I suppose.

The only possibly downside to all this is the ‘scalping’ that seems to follow it, but that’s the same for all the other stuff that people go mad for. We possibly come across as very sniffy and a bit ‘judgy’ to those who might be reading stuff on the forum for the first time.

It's already started.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325803244...Bk9SR4qUm5HPYg

Even comes with 'RECOEPTS'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Be carefull, someone will be along to call you a hater soon ;)
    I know, I should be publicly flogged for my views and opinions..... ;-)

It's the least I deserve

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It's already started.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325803244...Bk9SR4qUm5HPYg

Even comes with 'RECOEPTS'
    Essential with any purchased of over priced tat!! As are the box and pipers

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    I know, I should be publicly flogged for my views and opinions..... ;-)

It's the least I deserve

Paul

Self flaggelation will suffice...

Just went off to youtube to have a look at these in video, have to laugh at all the thumbnails of the big youtubers scrolling down through, you know those horror, discust faces they put for their thumbnails, same as when the MoonSwatch released.

I just can't tolerate watch related youtube channels any more. I'll just wait until I see these in person I think.

I cannot wait for the BondSwatch version of the Seamaster 300...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    And Bolex........

IF/WHEN the sistem51 movement stops or breaks in one of these and it's outside the 2 yr warranty, do you have to chuck it or will swatch replace for a fee?

Craftsman
    Decided to stay in the line in glasgow

Lined up from 730. Was 3 from the front at 1030 and then it sold out !

Annoying as I really wanted one but it was obvious there was big groups there of flippers. A group of about 40 or so that were spread out through the line then regrouped at the end . All got watches

Frustrating as I wanted to try this as something a bit different and cheaper I could use for holidays etc

I reckon only 100-120 watches in total for sale

Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    Decided to stay in the line in glasgow

Lined up from 730. Was 3 from the front at 1030 and then it sold out !

Annoying as I really wanted one but it was obvious there was big groups there of flippers. A group of about 40 or so that were spread out through the line then regrouped at the end . All got watches

Frustrating as I wanted to try this as something a bit different and cheaper I could use for holidays etc

I reckon only 100-120 watches in total for sale

Not surprised about the number of flippers as won´t they have ´learned´ from the Moonswatch experience, queue for a few hours for an easy 200 or 300 quid...so they hope.

Anyone know the lug width on these?
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th September 2023 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    IF/WHEN the sistem51 movement stops or breaks in one of these and it's outside the 2 yr warranty, do you have to chuck it or will swatch replace for a fee?
    As far as I'm aware, and based on examination of many Sistem51 watches, there's no way to replace the movement at all. For all their sustainability messages and commitments, they continue to pump out millions of disposable watches.

As far as I'm aware, and based on examination of many Sistem51 watches, there's no way to replace the movement at all. For all their sustainability messages and commitments, they continue to pump out millions of disposable watches.
    Thank you...So it REALLY IS nothing but a cynical marketing con on every level then...350 quid!!!! For all the reclaimed from fishing nets, love the Oceans etc etc USP hokum. HAHA
    MARKETING SHAMARKETING...

Just amusement, no hate.

Craftsman
    From the videos I have seen there might be a small chance that this one actually has a snap back.

Master
    I thought I’d read that since the Swatch Sistem51 Irony models from a few years back, the movement was repairable/replaceable?

I think Swatch have been stung by the ‘disposable’ watch moniker, and reacted to it.

Besides, a watch made from recycled plastic will just end up being recycled again presumably.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I thought I’d read that since the Swatch Sistem51 Irony models from a few years back, the movement was repairable/replaceable?

I think Swatch have been stung by the ‘disposable’ watch moniker, and reacted to it.

Besides, a watch made from recycled plastic will just end up being recycled again presumably.
    I looked briefly at the Swatch site last night and still couldn´t answer the critical question, whether the movements are replaceable, is it a disposable watch or not?...Kinda think Swatch´d be shouting it from the rooftops, wouldn´t you...

Did anyone brave any of the London stores? It doesn’t sound like there was the same kind of carnage as with the first moonswatch release.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I looked briefly at the Swatch site last night and still couldn´t answer the critical question, whether the movements are replaceable, is it a disposable watch or not?...Kinda think Swatch´d be shouting it from the rooftops, wouldn´t you...
    I thought the Sistem51 movements were not serviceable due to how they're made, but this article from a few years ago suggests that the movement might be...but the wording is kind of odd almost suggesting that the watches with Sistem51 before the Irony models might not be serviceable?

As such, I suppose it could be that the movement itself can be serviced, but it might be how it is installed into the watch case can prevent it from being serviced.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/si...steel-hands-on
    There is one very significant update though: Beginning with the Irony collection, Sistem51 watches will be able to be serviced at certain authorized Swatch watchmakers instead of being completely disposable. Previously you had to just toss the watch when it stopped keeping good time, but now you can keep a Sistem51 going much longer with some simple repairs and part swaps.
    I agree with you that you'd think they'd be openly saying if these Blancpain ones were serviceable. Maybe they're constructed in such a way that you can't service the movement without busting the case, perhaps to achieve that water resistance rating? Pure conjecture on my part!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    That's a shame, did you get a look at the white one? I'm between the two!
    When you say white, do you mean the orange or the greyish one? I thought the grey one would be preferable but thought it very ordinary and was really taken by the dial and bezel of the blue one.

This was from viewing them in the glass display case - they had all 5 watches out for people to peruse at the counter and this unfortunately meant that everyone making a purchase lingered unnecessarily. Never mind.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Or the plastic Glashutte Original Sea Q

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    We haven’t had a WTB listed for one yet, anyone who is lucky enough to get one tomorrow and doesn’t bond with it, I’m here to take it off your hands bla bla bla.

Come on, be the first and give us a laugh
    And the cigar goes to: ctafield

Good luck

12 hours since the shops opened here, long enough for some auctions to have concluded.

The Indian Ocean one seems to be the loser of the litter. No interest with a BIN of ¥77,000 (£420). Others have starting prices higher, but no bids.

If it turns out there isn't much profit in these for the flippers, maybe they'll be generally available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    12 hours since the shops opened here, long enough for some auctions to have concluded.

The Indian Ocean one seems to be the loser of the litter. No interest with a BIN of ¥77,000 (£420). Others have starting prices higher, but no bids.

If it turns out there isn't much profit in these for the flippers, maybe they'll be generally available soon.
    Out of curiosity just done a quick google search of BP swatch and there is one on eBay for £850

Saying that there always seems to be Steinhart watches for sale there at prices higher than you can get one brand new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    And the cigar goes to: ctafield

Good luck
    Haha :D

They are going for less on StockX than on eBay. I don't live anywhere near a Swatch store, so have zero chance of being able to pick one up in person.

Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    Haha :D

They are going for less on StockX than on eBay. I don't live anywhere near a Swatch store, so have zero chance of being able to pick one up in person.
    You should pick one up, several of the moonwatches have appeared on SC.

Grand Master
    Alot of us work and frequent town so may as well pop in and buy one. Itll add a few air-miles or tesco points and someone here who cant get to town will 100% have it so youve also done a good deed
    RIAC

Master
    I am there a few times in a couple of weeks so keen to see how stock pans out till then

I am a bit of a fan, will try and get one later this year for a fun holiday, diving watch.

Not everything has to be ultra serious and whats not to enjoy about a colourful watch with a nudibranch on the back.

You just know it's going to happen

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Looking at eBay not a single person who purchased one wants to keep it! I really don’t think the resellers will have the same amount of success with this time around. Folk hopefully know they will be readily available soon with the only limiting factor being able to physically get to a point of sale. Anyone who pays more than a few quid over retail needs to give their head a wobble.
    Yup your right there, there’s bloody loads!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    When you say white, do you mean the orange or the greyish one? I thought the grey one would be preferable but thought it very ordinary and was really taken by the dial and bezel of the blue one.

This was from viewing them in the glass display case - they had all 5 watches out for people to peruse at the counter and this unfortunately meant that everyone making a purchase lingered unnecessarily. Never mind.
    Yep the grey one

I had the titanium blue fifty fathoms and the blue one is very reminiscent of that for sure

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Tbh I don’t mind them and I want one now haha!

Pain in back side for me as I don’t live close to any of the stores!

Artic or Antarctic for me