closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Arteta hasnt managed Sakas minutes at all well, he just flogs him into the ground.

Whenever I watch Arsenal I feel theyre trying to win the possession and pass stats as priorities over winning the game. Another five passes sideways or back rather than being brave with the ball.

Season over in three days. Must be frustrating for you Gooners.
    Agreed re Saka - hes too nervous to trust Nelson for anything more than dead time when we are 3 up.

Hes run him into the ground along with Rice and Odegard all three look physically short over the past couple games.

You only have to see the way pep managed the minutes of Rodri , KDB and Dias over the busy periods this season

Once we flesh out the squad a little more should be ok.

Hopefully the rumours of Neto are true

City domination but RM probably pinch it somehow.

Fodens had a shocker tonight.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I suspect our season will peter out from here. No urgency, no ideas, no energy.

Hopefully the experience will make us stronger next season.

All but mathematically impossible for England to get a 5th CL spot now.

Ive been surprised how dominant Madrid have allowed City to be. Foden has been poor and Haaland awful.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    City domination but RM probably pinch it somehow.

Fodens had a shocker tonight.

As expected.

Premier League best in the world apparently....

That Silva penalty should be charge number 116.

Master
    What was he thinking

Its amazing that three of the four teams in the semis are from leagues we consider interior to ours 🤷🏻*♂️

Master
    Plenty English interest left with Kane and Bellingham
    Expect numerous references during commentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Plenty English interest left with Kane and Bellingham
    Expect numerous references during commentaries.
    And Sancho, Dier

PSG have a great chance to win it now

Makes the rest of the tournament more interesting. Looks like Liverpool and West Ham will follow the British exit tomorrow. Remaining hope now rests with Villa.

City out in the quarters, it’s all over, Pep out
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 17th April 2024 at 23:18.

Master
    It was bizarrely bad! City deserved to go through on performance if I am honest, but that penalty, just can't get my head around what happened with him there.

Master
    On another note McManaman is a terrible commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    On another note McManaman is a terrible commentator
    Terrible commentator, of course he is…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Could of done with city going through to maybe make them slip up in the prem. No chance now. Real Madrid are just champs league gods.

Master
    Its amazing that three of the four teams in the semis are from leagues we consider interior to ours 🤷🏻*♂️
    Surely all four are from leagues we consider inferior to ours.

Im gonna predict an all German final with Dortmund to win it. Harry Kane will continue to break all of the records and still end up with no winners medals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be fun if Sir Fall A lot gained a penalty or two on Saturday just to rub salt into the wounds.

The noisy neighbours seem very quiet tonight.

Not quiet. Busy coming back from a late night watching my team play in the CL quarter final. Making the most of it while it lasts. Could be sat at home typing snide comments in a few years, who knows.
    Last edited by Russ; 18th April 2024 at 00:09.

Booooo
    Pep out . Dyche in . Second rate competition that we didnt want to win anyway .

Making RM play like Everton was a feat in itself . They came with a plan and even when they were out on their feet, they stuck to it and took us to penalties . Despite dominating , Im not sure City had all that many clear cut chances , de Bruyne aside . It was simply one of those nights .

Again , Bellingham has definitely found the right club . The snivelling , cheating coward and the Spanish Man Utd are made for each other . His talent is there for everyone to see but his snide digs, his time wasting tactics , his whinging to the officials and his all round performance is testament to his season in La Liga .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Booooo
    Pep out . Dyche in . Second rate competition that we didn’t want to win anyway .

Making RM play like Everton was a feat in itself . They came with a plan and even when they were out on their feet, they stuck to it and took us to penalties . Despite dominating , I’m not sure City had all that many clear cut chances , de Bruyne aside . It was simply one of those nights .

Again , Bellingham has definitely found the right club . The snivelling , cheating coward and the Spanish Man Utd are made for each other . His talent is there for everyone to see but his snide digs, his time wasting tactics , his whinging to the officials and his all round performance is testament to his season in La Liga .

You OK bro?

(Hope it wasn't you in the crowd keeping the ball and delaying your own player's pen!)

I just realised Arsenal couldn't score against Eric Dier

Master
    Just another example of cheque book Pep failing in the champions league.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    He won it last year pal

Booooo
    Pep out . Dyche in . Second rate competition that we didnt want to win anyway .

Making RM play like Everton was a feat in itself . They came with a plan and even when they were out on their feet, they stuck to it and took us to penalties . Despite dominating , Im not sure City had all that many clear cut chances , de Bruyne aside . It was simply one of those nights .

Feel free to replace Bellinghams name with any of Rodri, Silva, Grealish who display very similar traits with Rodri throwing in the accidental tactical foul.

Real Madrid and Carlo just have that pedigree in the competition something most other clubs dont.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I just realised Arsenal couldn't score against Eric Dier
    Ffs now I wont be able to think about anything else.

The tie was decided on two e fine margins - Rayas brain fart in the first leg why he came that far out Ill never know and then Martinelli switched off for 5 seconds in a game where 99% of his defensive efforts were excellent

Harsh lesson for the team but one I hope they grow from.

And chequebook Bingo got to which round exactly ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Not quiet. Busy coming back from a late night watching my team play in the CL quarter final. Making the most of it while it lasts. Could be sat at home typing snide comments in a few years, who knows.
    if there is any justice in the world you will be

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    You OK bro?

(Hope it wasn't you in the crowd keeping the ball and delaying your own player's pen!)
    i think it was

Master
    1.7 Billion spent on teams his 3 teams managed who were already European top tier sides.

Pep is the actual definition of cheque book manager.

Spent the most money ever by a manager.

Spent the most money ever by a manager is the shortest period.

Over a billion spent at City alone for one European cup.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    if there is any justice in the world you will be

- - - Updated - - -

i think it was
    If there was any justice in the world , your club wouldnt be playing in Europe ever but here we are .

Master
    If there was any justice in the world , your club wouldn’t be playing in Europe ever but here we are .

cry harder goat.

hopefully liverpool turn it around tonight and i can watch the final at their home stadium in Dublin.
    Last edited by cyrusir; 18th April 2024 at 09:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Feel free to replace Bellinghams name with any of Rodri, Silva, Grealish who display very similar traits with Rodri throwing in the accidental tactical foul.

Real Madrid and Carlo just have that pedigree in the competition something most other clubs dont.
    Bellingham seemed to be a master of the art though. It was shameless. Should be immaterial but City didnt make the chances and those few they got didnt happen. I enjoyed being there though. My very first CL game ever courtesy of a lovely mate.

I'm a big fan of Pep but sometimes you need a Plan B. Sometimes doing what you do won't be enough. Not often, but sometimes. I'll say it again, Haaland isn't at this level. Another anonymous performance in a big game. His first touch is almost always awful and he gives the ball away so often. A possible Plan B would be to go long on occasion but he can't control or hold the ball up well enough. He's a goal machine against decent teams but he's not scored or contributed very much ever at quarter final stages onward.

Grealish had a good game. Valverde and Carvahal were outstanding.

I'm a big fan of Pep but sometimes you need a Plan B. Sometimes doing what you do won't be enough. Not often, but sometimes. I'll say it again, Haaland isn't at this level. Another anonymous performance in a big game. His first touch is almost always awful and he gives the ball away so often. A possible Plan B would be to go long on occasion but he can't control or hold the ball up well enough. He's a goal machine against decent teams but he's not scored or contributed very much ever at quarter final stages onward.

Grealish had a good game. Valverde and Carvahal were outstanding.
    City remind me of Arsenal under Wenger at times, trying to pass the ball into the net. That said, with the exception of Spurs and Liverpool, pretty much every team sets up against City with 10 men behind the ball these days and its not easy breaking teams down. With all of Madrids talent it was a surprise to see them adopt the same approach.
    Last night was just one of those nights. I do think were not at the same level as last year. Teams are doubling up on Haaland so theres less space than last season and KDBs age is slowly having an affect on his ability to do 90 minutes at full pelt. Haaland is just 23 and he will still improve.

1.7 Billion spent on teams his 3 teams managed who were already European top tier sides.

Pep is the actual definition of cheque book manager.

Spent the most money ever by a manager.

Spent the most money ever by a manager is the shortest period.

Over a billion spent at City alone for one European cup.

Pep is a CL failure, the teams he has had, money he spent over the last 20 years and he has won it 3 times, pretty terrible when you look at it. Happy they went out.

Forget City, the Barca and Bayern team he had should have won the CL more than he did.

West Ham v Leverkusen tonight.

Can't see us turning a 2-0 deficit down without any strikers but I hope they give it a good hard go.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    cry harder goat.

hopefully liverpool turn it around tonight and i can watch the final at their home stadium in Dublin.

Ho ho ho tears. Watch the first 3 minutes of this. It's an absolute f*ing hoot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08h95c3

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Pep is a CL failure, the teams he has had, money he spent over the last 20 years and he has won it 3 times, pretty terrible when you look at it. Happy they went out.

Forget City, the Barca and Bayern team he had should have won the CL more than he did.
    Hes been a manger 16 years and won 3 CL. By comparison Alex Ferguson won 2CL in 26 years as United manager, managing some of the best teams of the day anywhere, breaking numerous transfer records in the process. Arsene Wenger, rightly hailed as a brilliant coach, won none in 22 years with Henry, Bergkamp etc.

All three of them are at the top of the tree but knockout football can be fickle with no guarantees as last night ably demonstrated.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post

Pep takes over world class squads, end of.

Brian Clough’s achievement is head and shoulders above Pep, takes over a Div 2 team, gets them promoted to the top division, wins it in their first year and then not only wins the European Cup a year later, but retains it the following year.

Shall we put Pep in charge of Stoke or Preston and see if he can achieve the same thing, I think not.

IMHO Pep is the greatest manager we have had in the PL and changed the game.

As much as it pains me to say it I think that title still sits with Alex Ferguson. Don’t forget Sir Alex rebuilt that United team about three times during his time in charge. Pep’s on his way, but probably needs another 8 or so PL titles to be in contention.

Master
    How has he changed the game ?

Never understand the need to compare. Clough was a brilliant manager. Look at Bob Paisley, followed in the footsteps of Shankly yet won more trophies than him.
    Fergie won season after season for 26 years playing some amazing football, constantly evolving the squad.
    Wenger was credited with revolutionising the game with his attention to detail off the pitch as well as on it. Arsenal, on their day, were a joy to watch.
    Pep got his break managing the Barca B team after they were relegated and won the division at his first attempt. Hes managed the best because almost everyone in the game views him as the best current manager.
    Klopp also deserves to be viewed in the same breath.
    We should just enjoy what theyve each brought to the game.

Craftsman
    We should just enjoy what theyve each brought to the game

Spot on

I'd include Jose before Klopp. Jose was the new wave when he arrived in England and he's won far more trophies across Europe than Klopp. I understand what Klopp has done for Liverpool in terms of the whole club but he hasn't won much in his career when compared to the others we're referencing.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Never understand the need to compare. Clough was a brilliant manager. Look at Bob Paisley, followed in the footsteps of Shankly yet won more trophies than him.
    Fergie won season after season for 26 years playing some amazing football, constantly evolving the squad.
    Wenger was credited with revolutionising the game with his attention to detail off the pitch as well as on it. Arsenal, on their day, were a joy to watch.
    Pep got his break managing the Barca B team after they were relegated and won the division at his first attempt. Hes managed the best because almost everyone in the game views him as the best current manager.
    Klopp also deserves to be viewed in the same breath.
    We should just enjoy what theyve each brought to the game.

Master

Bayern and Madrid are European powerhouses they just know how to win the big games

Master
    In your opinion Arsenal were gonna win the prem :) - FERGIE ALL DAY EVERY DAY

I'd include Jose before Klopp. Jose was the new wave when he arrived in England and he's won far more trophies across Europe than Klopp. I understand what Klopp has done for Liverpool in terms of the whole club but he hasn't won much in his career when compared to the others we're referencing.
    Klopp had success at Dortmund too.
    I take your point on Jose. He was a breath of fresh air in his first stint at Chelsea but he hasnt evolved and his last couple of jobs havent been good for his status.

Master
    Difficult comparing managers of different eras, much as it is comparing players of different eras. Pep has always had money behind him but that brings its own difficulties.

For longevity and trophies, Ferguson is hard to look past. But I think Pep is equal in terms of tactics and man management. Bit he wont end up with the same honours when alls said and done

Klopp and Wenger behind those two for me.

Master
    Id obviously have Klopp ahead of Pep.

Pep had a Messi, Puyol, Abidal, Zambrotta, Iniesta, Xavi, Toure, Deco, Henry, Gudjonson in his team at Barca.

The team was literally ridiculous for talent. The likes of Messi and Busquets were maturing and the other were all in their primes.

Hes then gone to Bayern were its 99% certain you win silverwear.

Hes then gone to City who had already had 600 spent on the squad. Had already won the league and then Pep goes and spends a billion quid on them.

Hes spent 1.7billion on players in his short career to date. Its absolutely mental and hes done it at already top teams.

Pep at the bottom of the list for me when you talk about the greats. Certainly under a Klopp or a Wenger.

Clough arguably the best on there, then SAF, Jose, Ancelotti, etc all about the same.