closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lease cars and tyres……

Lease cars and tyres……

I’ve got a Tesla Model 3 Performance on lease, due to go back in December.

It needs a set of rear tyres, and I have two thousand miles left on the miles which I won’t exceed, do you have to replace with factory fit tyres?

I pad £600 fitted for the fronts earlier in the year, and don’t want to spend that again unless I really have to!

Is part worn an option?

Cheers

God no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post

It needs a set of rear tyres, and I have two thousand miles left on the miles which I won’t exceed, do you have to replace with factory fit tyres?

I pad £600 fitted for the fronts earlier in the year, and don’t want to spend that again unless I really have to!

Is part worn an option?

Cheers
    Yes you can get part worn. Just make sure the tyres are the same brand on each axle.

Lease cars and tyres……

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Yes you can get part worn. Just make sure the tyres are the same brand on each axle.

You’re talking about putting god knows how torque from a Model 3 P through part worn tyres and the only advice you’re giving him is to make sure they’re the same brand on each axle lolz
    Do yourself a favour OP and buy a decent pair of mid range and chuck the idea of part worn in the bin where they belong.

Is part worn an option?

Cheers
    I think this should help. In answer to your question no you would not be required to give it back with new tyres

https://www.bvrla.co.uk/resource/ret...d-vehicle.html

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I wouldn't put myself or my family, or the next owner of the car, at risk for a few hundred quid saved on tyres salvaged from a write-off!

If the car needs tyres then it's not safe/legal to drive?

Are there T&C's in the lease agreement?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You’re talking about putting god knows how torque from a Model 3 P through part worn tyres and the only advice you’re giving him is to make sure they’re the same brand on each axle lolz
    Do yourself a favour OP and buy a decent pair of mid range and chuck the idea of part worn in the bin where they belong.

Eh ? He’s giving the car back in 3 months, why would he waste money on new tyres ?

As for the advice for the same brand on each axle that’s what lease companies expect. They won’t take cars back with different tyres on an axle.

Genuinely don’t understand why he wouldn’t get part worn ?

How many miles has it done? I believe new hoops are due every 20k-30k miles

Lease cars and tyres……

Eh ? He’s giving the car back in 3 months, why would he waste money on new tyres ?

As for the advice for the same brand on each axle that’s what lease companies expect. They won’t take cars back with different tyres on an axle.

Genuinely don’t understand why he wouldn’t get part worn ?

There’s nothing inherently wrong with used tyres however do you have any idea of the history of that tyre?
    Has it been curbed, side wall been hit or breached? Monkey from kwikfit removed it and damaged the bead? There’s so many reasons why part worms are a bad idea.
    Regardless of the fact he gives it back in a few months it’s the only thing between him and the road.

Master
    There’s nothing inherently wrong with used tyres however do you have any idea of the history of that tyre?
    Has it been curbed, side wall been hit or breached? Monkey from kwikfit removed it and damaged the bead? There’s so many reasons why part worms are a bad idea.
    Regardless of the fact he gives it back in a few months it’s the only thing between him and the road.

And by the same token you could apply all of the above scenarios when buying a used car..... It's a minefield!!

We have no idea how a car has been treated before purchasing it. By the time it hits the forecourt it could have had paintwork, recurved alloys, major mechanical work etc..... If the tyres have 4mm + it is unlikely a non franchise dealer would replace them. They might have been up and down more kerbs than you can shake a stick at.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    And by the same token you could apply all of the above scenarios when buying a used car..... It's a minefield!!

We have no idea how a car has been treated before purchasing it. By the time it hits the forecourt it could have had paintwork, recurved alloys, major mechanical work etc..... If the tyres have 4mm + it is unlikely a non franchise dealer would replace them. They might have been up and down more kerbs than you can shake a stick at.

What safety precautions are put in place when you buy a second hand car?
    If you’re purchasing from a reputable dealer then it would be serviced and likely MOT’d
    and gone through safety checks. What’s the UK law/legislation regarding second hand tyres?
    There isn’t any other than the company itself having to check them to make sure they’re safe.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/a...cribed%20below.

Master
    I’ve only ever bought part worn tyres and I’ve never had any issues.

It says in that article 10% if the UK market is part worn tyres.

If they were that life threatening I’m sure we would be made aware of the issue.

Master
    If you’re purchasing from a reputable dealer then it would be serviced and likely MOT’d
    and gone through safety checks. What’s the UK law/legislation regarding second hand tyres?
    There isn’t any other than the company itself having to check them to make sure they’re safe.

But that's my point, an MOT would consist of a visual inspection and measurement of tread depth.

Just because a tyre looks ok doesn't mean that it hasn't had a hard life, such as being kerbed daily.

I'm well aware of the standards some dealers work to and maintain. You know, as well as I do that every dealer will draw the line somewhere in terms of what they are prepared to spend as it errodes their profit margins.

I'm not saying that fitting part worn is right or wrong. Or that you are wrong, I was merely pointing out that we have no idea how tyres have been treated by previous owners.

Apparently - some Tesla owners on lease have kept their own part worn tyres before they were fully worn out, to be replaced back onto the car just before returning it to the dealer 3-years later.

In the meantime, they have had the opportunity to purchase good quality tyres (for less than £600), and still remain within the terms of the contract to return the car intact with manufacturer approved components.

Master
    Does your lease co, specify make of tyres that needed to be fitted back on?

Master
    Pro Tyre have some budget at £85 a corner based on the 235/35R20 92Y obviously if it’s a different size prices may differ.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Pro Tyre have some budget at £85 a corner based on the 235/35R20 92Y obviously if it’s a different size prices may differ.
    Wow, I spent more than that on a tyre for my smart car. I’d hate to feel what that felt like with all the torque from a Tesla!

Master

I think what he is saying is that if you buy a second hand car, you are likely buying a car with part-worn tyres which neither you or the dealer is likely to know any history of. An MOT or pre-sale inspection is not likely to pick up anything but obvious defects in the tyres.

So what is the difference between doing that and putting part worn tyres on your own car?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I think what he is saying is that if you buy a second hand car, you are likely buying a car with part-worn tyres which neither you or the dealer is likely to know any history of. An MOT or pre-sale inspection is not likely to pick up anything but obvious defects in the tyres.

So what is the difference between doing that and putting part worn tyres on your own car?

Second hand tyres are better than ones already on a car because you can check the inside of the tyre for damage

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wow, I spent more than that on a tyre for my smart car. I’d hate to feel what that felt like with all the torque from a Tesla!
    Personally I would not buy budget tyres.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thanks for all the replies, some interesting opinions there!

I don't see the point in paying £500 + VAT for two tyres to cover 2k miles (which is literally to work and back each day), there seems to be a lot of good sellers on eBay so will look there, and obviously would get the tyre fitters to check over before hand!

I'm surprised its caused such a stir, most of the reps who come to me do exactly this and it is them that suggested it.

Cheers

Craftsman
    I’m with those that would only fit new - the tyres are literally the only thing from the car in contact with the road

A few hundred quid difference is a small price to pay to ensure the car has good quality tyres in case you need them in an emergency situation

I always fit new and always fit premium ideally with the best wet rating given the climate here

The only time I have ever fitted part worns was when I was 17 and simply didn’t have the money for anything else but to be honest it was a false economy as they tended to have 4-5mm and need replaced quite quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Second hand tyres are better than ones already on a car because you can check the inside of the tyre for damage
    Good point!

Don't see an issue with these tyres myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    I’m with those that would only fit new - the tyres are literally the only thing from the car in contact with the road

A few hundred quid difference is a small price to pay to ensure the car has good quality tyres in case you need them in an emergency situation

I always fit new and always fit premium ideally with the best wet rating given the climate here

The only time I have ever fitted part worns was when I was 17 and simply didn’t have the money for anything else but to be honest it was a false economy as they tended to have 4-5mm and need replaced quite quickly
    Exactly this.

And buying part worn tyres on eBay is a daft idea unless you know the production year stamp by brand as many resellers there flog very old tyres “as new” when they are nowhere near that…..
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 31st August 2023 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Who’s “you”

If you mean yourself then yeh fine crack on but if you mean the likes of the tyre fitters you have at Halfords and Kwik-Fit I wouldn’t entrust them in to safely checking the tyres on my wheel barrow.
    Sadly being in the business over the years I’ve seen poor tyres, new tyres, used tyres and virtually every different sort of failure you can think of.

Lease cars and tyres……

Thanks for all the replies, some interesting opinions there!

I don't see the point in paying £500 + VAT for two tyres to cover 2k miles (which is literally to work and back each day), there seems to be a lot of good sellers on eBay so will look there, and obviously would get the tyre fitters to check over before hand!

I'm surprised its caused such a stir, most of the reps who come to me do exactly this and it is them that suggested it.

Cheers
    It’s caused a stir because it’s a stupid idea not made any better because a bunch of reps thought it ok.
    Seems like you’ve made your mind up so good luck.

You would have to be out of your mind to fit 2nd hand brakes, steering or suspension and tyres should be no different.

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 31st August 2023 at 20:59.

Master
    Why would you be daft ? Do you change all your tyres when they get to 4mm if tread ?

Absolutely mad in my opinion in to pay hundreds for 2k miles.

If part worn were a safety issue there would be crashes constantly due to them.

As I say bought part worn my whole life and never had a single issue.

Why would you be daft ? Do you change all your tyres when they get to 4mm if tread ?

Absolutely mad in my opinion in to pay hundreds for 2k miles.

If part worn were a safety issue there would be crashes constantly due to them.

As I say bought part worn my whole life and never had a single issue.

Ask yourself a question, why don’t the likes of Kwik-fit, Halfords, Black circle fit used tyres? A- because they’d rather sell you new ones and make more profit and B - because of the total unnecessary risks involved in doing so.
    Further links…https://www.partworn-tyres.co.uk

But you crack on put shitty tyres on your car to save a few bob.

Master
    Ask yourself a question, why don’t the likes of Kwik-fit, Halfords, Black circle fit used tyres? A- because they’d rather sell you new ones and make more profit and B - because of the total unnecessary risks involved in doing so.
    Further links…https://www.partworn-tyres.co.uk

But you crack on put shitty tyres on your car to save a few bob.

The likes of kwik fit etc main business is selling tyres that’s the reason and the reason only.

Your stance is absolutely bizzare, how many fatalities are caused in the UK each year by part worn tyres ?

Craftsman
    The likes of kwik fit etc main business is selling tyres that’s the reason and the reason only.

Your stance is absolutely bizzare, how many fatalities are caused in the UK each year by part worn tyres ?

It’s not any more bizarre than your stance that you only ever fit part worms

It’s a choice we can all make - neither is wrong so it’s unfair to be critical

Every single part worn tyre was taken off for a reason - those selling them will stare it’s Europe when they change to Winters etc but I simply don’t want to take the risk.

It may have come from a crashed car and have some structural damage that cannot be seen until it’s too late. It may not clearly but it’s a risk I’m not willing to take

You are and that’s fine for you but please don’t label those who aren’t as bizarre

I have no idea how many people die but why should that be a metric? Surely the more important one is the amount of tyres that have been inspected and found to be faulty and have major defects and not fit to be put back on the road?

Blog Entries
    The car goes back in December? With wet months ahead of you, you’re thinking about a cheap(er) option that’s not a guaranteed safe option?

Sell a Seiko and use the money on tyres.

Master
    I have no idea how many people die but why should that be a metric? Surely the more important one is the amount of tyres that have been inspected and found to be faulty and have major defects and not fit to be put back on the road?

Trading standards and the DVSA carried out and investigation into part worn tyres and found that 96% of the tyres had over 4mm of tread when sold. UK legal limit is 1.6mm.

The 85% non compliant figure which is stated in your extract above are non compliant because they haven’t been stamped with the letter E and part worn written in capital letters therefor making them non compliant.

12 deaths in the uk last year due to defective tyres. These deaths include bald tyres, under inflated, damaged and defective. No deaths attributed to part work tyres.

There is a very good chance that the new car will not be ready by December, anyway.
    And the old car will go back around March-24 or later.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

Every single part worn tyre was taken off for a reason
    Quite true. Many many years back, I ran 2 Peugeot 504 pick up trucks for my business and they were fed on pre-owned tyres which came off ambulances as it was an NHS service thing that they were changed them very frequently.
    There was 5mm+ of tread on them and they were always a household brand named tyre.
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with them for the purpose I had for them.
    Yeah, my Pug vans weren't Tesla but that scenario worked a peach for me.

Lease cars and tyres……

Trading standards and the DVSA carried out and investigation into part worn tyres and found that 96% of the tyres had over 4mm of tread when sold. UK legal limit is 1.6mm.

The 85% non compliant figure which is stated in your extract above are non compliant because they haven’t been stamped with the letter E and part worn written in capital letters therefor making them non compliant.

12 deaths in the uk last year due to defective tyres. These deaths include bald tyres, under inflated, damaged and defective. No deaths attributed to part work tyres.

You’ve conveniently cherrypicked there. As you know because you clearly read past it that ….TyreSafe survey found:
    98% of part worn tyres were being sold illegally
    34% being offered for sale had dangerous, potentially life-threatening, defects.

What you do is obviously up to you at least you’ll be safe in the knowledge you saved a few quid when your flying towards a family minding their own business at 70 mph.

What I find “bizarre” is that seeing as you’re clearly on a watch forum where you’d likely think nothing of chucking a few K on the latest wrist trinket but you’d risk your life and others for the sake of a few hundred quid buying used tyres.
    Now that is very bizarre, actually it’s insane.

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 1st September 2023 at 10:52.

Master
    You’ve conveniently cherrypicked there. As you know because you clearly read past it that ….TyreSafe survey found:
    98% of part worn tyres were being sold illegally
    34% being offered for sale had dangerous, potentially life-threatening, defects.

What you do is obviously up to you at least you’ll be safe in the knowledge you saved a few quid when your flying towards a family minding their own business at 70 mph.

What I find “bizarre” is that seeing as you’re clearly on a watch forum where you’d likely think nothing of chucking a few K on the latest wrist trinket but you’d risk your life and others for the sake of a few hundred quid buying used tyres.
    Now that is very bizarre, actually it’s insane.

I’m not risking anyone life ?

No deaths were due to part worn tyres in the UK last year.

About 18 months ago I decided to change my car.

I looked on Cinch, Cazoo & other similar sites & was astonished at the sheer number of suitable cars in my price-range that had (I won't use the word 'ditchfinders') unbranded or unknown makes of tyres. I assumed that these were ex-lease cars that had been returned with cheap boots for economy/cost reasons & they were immediately discounted as an option by me.

I bought a car locally in the end. Can't beat seeing & driving your prospective purchase, IMO.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    A bit puzzled by the part-worn tyres debate and some of the answers. Surely a tyre that's removed from the wheel can be thoroughly inspected for damage and tread wear? If the sidewall's OK, with no signs of damage, the tread's OK with even wear, and the inside of the carcass looks fine, the tyre is fit for use? Am I missing a trick somewhere?

I haven`t bought part-worn tyres since I was 18, but provided the tyre is inspected carefully before fitting I can`t see a problem.

This thread is a car crash.

Badoom tish.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A bit puzzled by the part-worn tyres debate and some of the answers. Surely a tyre that's removed from the wheel can be thoroughly inspected for damage and tread wear? If the sidewall's OK, with no signs of damage, the tread's OK with even wear, and the inside of the carcass looks fine, the tyre is fit for use? Am I missing a trick somewhere?

I haven`t bought part-worn tyres since I was 18, but provided the tyre is inspected carefully before fitting I can`t see a problem.
    As I said at the start, there is nothing inherently wrong with used tyres however the stats from tyre-sure are alarming. 34% of tyres checked had serious defects. For the likes of yourself and some others on here, me included, we know what we’re looking at. That can’t be said though for the vast majority of the general public.