closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Remote home monitoring camera for vulnerable adult?

Remote home monitoring camera for vulnerable adult?

I would really appreciate some recomendations for a one camera setup for an elderly relatives home. This has been reccomended by Social Services, for various reasons.

I/they would like to be able to retrospectively access footage remotely. Hopefully it's presence will act as a deterrent.

Cheers

Matt

Blog Entries
    I would suggest the Eufy range, we have one of there set ups with an indoor camera that pans around (to keep an eye on the dogs while we are out).
    No subscriptions required either, unlike some other systems.

Blink do an indoor camera for £25 which you can buy on Amazon. Highly rated

Master
    Certainly look at panning option, whilst most indoor cameras have a wide angle lens panning cameras can be set to “ follow” a subject
    Last edited by higham5; 27th August 2023 at 09:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Blink do an indoor camera for £25 which you can buy on Amazon. Highly rated
    I have four of them, I deploy them around the house when I go on holiday. Nice clear image, seem to be very reliable and they're unobtrusive as well.

Craftsman
    I set up Eufy in my Dad's house for safety reasons, he has dementia. The Eufy cameras can be monitored live but if you want to look at a specific time from earlier it is a bit hit and miss as the system only records short clips when the sensor is triggered. Sensitivity can be adjusted, all movements or human only. Of course anyone visiting will not be sure if/when the camera will be triggered so will be on their best behaviour.
    Last edited by wotsthecrack; 27th August 2023 at 10:12.

Another vote for Eufy range, they seem to be reliable and well priced. The app is very good with enough options. I used it in an empty flat and it worked fine on 4G as well. It seems a very simple task to add or remove cameras from the system as and when you need them.

Great! Thank you for all of the replies.

@ Mongogroover and Rod, how do you find the Blink system when trying to access footage retrospectively? I note that whatsthe crack said that Eufy can be hit and miss.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post

@ Mongogroover and Rod, how do you find the Blink system when trying to access footage retrospectively? I note that whatsthe crack said that Eufy can be hit and miss.
    It's not quite accurate to say it's "hit & miss" it's more that it's not 24/7 continuous recording as that would require a lot of storage on the servers. If you want to be able to scroll back over every minute of the last day/week/month then you need to make sure the service you go for offers that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have Ring system with cameras.

They record when triggered and the clip is stored in the cloud for I think 30 days.

Easy to review and change settings and sensitivity.

It probably stores over 100 clips a day.

If anything happens I can look back easily.

Alfred camera on any old phone. Free.

Hi Matt,
    I've never had an issue even when I'm up in Newcastle to view my cameras in Darlington. Always a good image.
    With the sync module V2 you can plug a USB storage to store clips.

First question is wether or not you have access to wifi there

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    First question is wether or not you have access to wifi there
    There is indeed wifi.

It looks like Blink is a good option. Its £80 a year for the subscription that appears to be what I need. I just need to determine if there is a power socket nearby.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Matt,
    I've never had an issue even when I'm up in Newcastle to view my cameras in Darlington. Always a good image.
    Cheers Rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I have Ring system with cameras.

They record when triggered and the clip is stored in the cloud for I think 30 days.

Easy to review and change settings and sensitivity.

It probably stores over 100 clips a day.

If anything happens I can look back easily.
    The camera will be pointing at a chair where the vulnerable person spends most of their day.

Unfortunately the situation dictates that, to be of use, I need to be able to review the footage of the whole of the previous day, or hopefully just a couple of hours window. I'm hoping that Blink will have me covered.

There is indeed wifi.

It looks like Blink is a good option. Its £80 a year for the subscription that appears to be what I need. I just need to determine if there is a power socket nearby.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Rod!
    I would go with google/Nest at £5pm or £50 per year.

This is for unlimited cameras so if you have any in your own house that will be included.

https://store.google.com/gb/product/...ndoor?hl=en-GB

I have one of these and my in-laws have the same one as a baby monitor. When we’re on holiday they go in the hallway facing the front door. You can get motion/sound alerts and even speak back.

Maybe check a YouTube video doing a ring Vs google Vs blink and see where you land. All do the same just preference and AP that’s different.

Master
    I'm guessing it's to check on a carer? If so what about having another camera say watching the door to the room, with motion activation so you can get a better idea on times, unless the times are fixed.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Master
    My brother in law got ADT to put in a system for the mother in law who has dementia he seems really happy with it. I’d suggested most of the usual suspects for cameras like Eufy, Netgear etc but he wanted a simple install. He can check on her when needs be and also talk her though things like sorting her meals whilst viewing what she is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would go with google/Nest at £5pm or £50 per year.

This is for unlimited cameras so if you have any in your own house that will be included.

https://store.google.com/gb/product/...ndoor?hl=en-GB

I have one of these and my in-laws have the same one as a baby monitor. When we’re on holiday they go in the hallway facing the front door. You can get motion/sound alerts and even speak back.

Maybe check a YouTube video doing a ring Vs google Vs blink and see where you land. All do the same just preference and AP that’s different.
    Thanks, will have a look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I'm guessing it's to check on a carer? If so what about having another camera say watching the door to the room, with motion activation so you can get a better idea on times, unless the times are fixed.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    The nub of it is that it will be used to monitor visiting carers, but also another tenant. The other tenant was taken in as a lodger (sob story) then years later added to the tenancy. Things have now turned sour with the other party becoming coercive and abusive. Hence the desire to have 24/7 coverage.

As said in my original post, Social Services reccomended installing a camera.

Master
    A Google search turned up this web site:

https://www.time2technology.com/

You can set the recording to event or continuous & if you pay for the cloud storage you can access either 7 (£8) or 30 (£20) days of continuous recording. I've no idea if they are any good but there does seem to be a market for the service you are looking for.

https://www.smarthomepoint.com/smart...-24-7-support/
    https://www.techradar.com/news/do-ho...ecord-all-time

Master
    Hi Matt,
    Ditto except for the USB storage feature which I haven't used. Terrific to have a live view of your living room / bedroom / wherever from some bar with free WiFi in Montenegro or the Carribean. Last year I was able to see snow hitting the windows at home while sitting on a lounger at a beach in the Dominican Republic, on an uncomfortably hot day.

Craftsman
    Eufy have just announced a 24/7 system which would now do what you require. May be worth a look.

https://uk.eufy.com/pages/security-e..._masterBanner1

I have a TP link kasa 360 camera. It tracks movement so will move to follow the moving subject. Works really well and has night vision too.

You can also use the various tp link smart plugs via the same app. Handy for table lamps etc that might be hard to reach the switch on.

TP-Link Kasa Smart Security Camera, Baby Monitor, 360°rotational views, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa(Echo Spot/Show&Fire TV), Google Home/Chromecast, 1080p, 2-Way Audio with Night Vision(KC115) https://amzn.eu/d/afID1q9

Craftsman
    I had this exact scenario

We tried a few systems before settling on Ring,and IMO ring was by far the best by a long way

The ability to talk through the camera was the cherry on top, for example simple things like looking for the TV remote can be a harrowing experience for someone with Dementia But a simple look on the camera and “mum it’s in the fruit bowl” saved a me a 1hr round trip to find it and mum an hour of angst and upset

You can pinch and zoom as week and quality is decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again to all that replied.

I installed the Blink camera this morning. It wasn’t straightforward as for some reason it wouldn’t connect. I got there in the end though.

The clips are thirty seconds long and triggered by motion, there is then a ten second gap before it triggers again. I will see how it goes, but I would guess that would be enough. I think the deterrence factor will be key.

Master
    Thanks again to all that replied.

I installed the Blink camera this morning. It wasn’t straightforward as for some reason it wouldn’t connect. I got there in the end though.

The clips are thirty seconds long and triggered by motion, there is then a ten second gap before it triggers again. I will see how it goes, but I would guess that would be enough. I think the deterrence factor will be key.
    Well done. Have you popped a usb drive in the little square hub. This gives you a physical backup once amazons cloud trial finishes.

We have a blink camera and over three years it has been really good.