closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pest on a train, watch-related

Pest on a train, watch-related

Daughter just exchanged texts with me. She was this morning on a train to Stoke, quite busy too, apparently. Some random bloke commented that she was brave wearing a GMT these days. She simply replied with, 'I'm not wearing a GMT'. He then moved and another passenger spoke to her and said he thought it was a bit odd. She's a Barrister on her way to court and whilst she is extraordinary in verbal exchanges, she must be 4 foot nothing and 6 stone. Lol. She has a TT LN Sub (what she has on today) as a gift from us a few years ago when you could walk into a shop and buy a Rolex. She has been thinking of selling it as she reckons it is getting harder to wear publicly. Is she right? I know there is a London thread below, but it seems London-oriented. I have never really thought twice even on a trip to London, the football, wherever really.

He got off the stop before her and she took a taxi from the station.
    Last edited by mjrennie; 26th August 2023 at 08:06.

He's probably inadvertently done her a favour, times have changed.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I don't actually think that's odd. Perhaps he was a watch nerd who saw it as an opportunity to have a flirt, but in any event those conversations can happen on trains.

I wouldn’t think much of it. He was probably clutching at straws to talk to a woman on a Friday.

Most people would assume a large two tone watch on a woman was a fashion watch.

Master
    I don't think it's odd, at least as described. I wouldn't say it was particularly flirty, either. Just friendly. Of course there might be some nuances in body language or other behaviour that we aren't party to that might suggest otherwise.

Different strokes for different folks.
    On my recent rail trip to Looe (free of charge as it happens!) the outward delay-riddled leg was punctuated with conversations; a lady of similar (pensionable) age to myself who was off to watch her daughter perform at Glastonbury; when she got off her seat was taken by a woman a generation younger who was on a similar mission to myself (a convention of alumni - or to be more accurate a piss-up with friends from school in an attempt to recreate our youth).
    The return journey was dominated by a group of two women and a male, mid-40s I would guess, from Plymouth to Stoke. Starting with polite niceties, we ended up exchanging cooking hints and suggestions; I had to conclude my pasty-making virtual class the next day by phone with one woman.

I do hope that none of these people posted anywhere about the pest they encountered.

Can't see he was pestering her.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    ...She has a TT LV Sub (what she has on today) as a gift from us a few years ago...
    I'm not familiar with that model. Any pics?
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    99.9% he had no bad intentions and just likes watches enough to nearly recognise it and was wanting to be friendly and brighten a Friday morning commute. OK he may have misjudged a busy, focused, young woman alone who may feel threatened or interrupted in her thoughts but sounds like her response probably made her feelings clearer and he picked up on it then.
    Most people around are not up to no good, although we do have to have awareness of situations that leave us vulnerable just in case.

Busy trains, people standing, often holding a rail, arm reaching out and wrist out of sleeve, its easy to spot watches even without 'looking'. More often than not when on a tube or overground train in London I'll spot a rolex, and several per carriage doesn't seem unusual.

The word ‘brave’ in the interaction is probably what unsettled her, it would raise alarm bells with me. As you already indicated she has doubts about wearing the watch in public this episode has probably confirmed her instincts that’s it’s not worth the potential trouble and attention it brings. I sold my Rolex a few years ago for similar reasons as I didn’t like the attention it got.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Dont think they made the LV Sub in two tone. thought it was just the regular 16610/121660 (Oystersteel) with a green bezel . happy to be corrected.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds to me like a man was trying to a) indicate that he recognised the watch (badly) and was therefore enlightened and b) do that thing they do when they think they're offering advice to women about protection.
    Ham fisted but nothing to be worried about imo.
    You get quite a few blokes who will say stuff like that but it doesnt mean they're flirting or planning a robbery.
    Last one I had congratulated me on my ability to parallel park before offering that the only thing id forgotten was to indicate. Thanks random pedestrian. Duly noted.

At a diminutive 4 ft nothing and weighing in at 6 stone I can understand the 'brave' comment, not clear the guy was pestering her tbh he just as well might be trying to be the good samaritan... heck she sounds a compact enough wee package to put in a pocket, watch and all!

Craftsman
    How is he a pest? He made a comment and then moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    How is he a pest? He made a comment and then moved on.

He clearly doesn't know much about watches, since he can't identify one of the most famous watches there is. So he's a guy with a line. He tried it out on a busy commuter train, it missed the target, he disappears. Creep, pest, who cares on the label you give it, its no way to behave.

Master
    I think the choice of the word “brave” was the wrong one in this context. I’m sure it would generate some thoughts of “what’s this guy going to do now he’s spotted I’m wearing a nice watch?”

Even a passing “lovely watch” might have been more appropriate in those circumstances.

Journeyman
    I think some people just choose the wrong words at the wrong time not thinking how it might make others feel. I wouldn't worry too much if I were her.

Surely if he was the sort who was planning to relieve her of her watch, the last thing he would have done is drawn any attention to it by mentioning it to her?

And making a single comment, and then getting off the train before she did, falls a long way short of being a "pest" in my book.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    He clearly doesn't know much about watches, since he can't identify one of the most famous watches there is. So he's a guy with a line. He tried it out on a busy commuter train, it missed the target, he disappears. Creep, pest, who cares on the label you give it, its no way to behave.
    What the hell are you talking about. Not everyone knows every single model of watch. He made one comment and he’s labelled a creep?? Remind me to never make make a comment on someone’s watch in public.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The scenario sounds quite reasonable to me but, given the times we live in, my thoughts would have been analogous to my crossing the road rather than walk behind a lone female. Best to keep quiet...sad really. Best not to interact with anybody????
    Last edited by trident-7; 25th August 2023 at 17:53.

Sounds to me like a likely well meaning member of public giving a word of caution but probably not going about it the best way.

Whatever the case it should serve as a good warning as somebody with ill intentions should certainly be a far more threatening situation. My personal opinion is she's taking a risk wearing that watch on a busy train on her own, can understand the opinion what's the point in owning if you'll be afraid to wear it, but this is the reality we live in.

Craftsman
    I was walking along a street in Buenos Aires last year and was approached by an elderly woman who pointed to my watch and advised me to put it in my pocket. It was an old non descript Omega. There is no way I considered her creepy or trying it on. She was just being pleasant and helpful. Not everyone has an alterior motive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by coredriller View Post
    I was walking along a street in Buenos Aires last year and was approached by an elderly woman who pointed to my watch and advised me to put it in my pocket. It was an old non descript Omega. There is no way I considered her creepy or trying it on. She was just being pleasant and helpful. Not everyone has an alterior motive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Haha, she gave yo some very good advise there. I lived in Argentina for 3 years(Rosario but plenty times visiting Buenos Airies), definetly not a country to be tempting unwanted attention to anything on your person. I had to learn alot about street savvy living there, lovely country though and wonderful people, but certainly a different world.

Some random bloke commented that she was brave wearing a GMT these days.
    He may have a point.

She has been thinking of selling it as she reckons it is getting harder to wear publicly.
    Seems your daughter agrees that he may have a point.

/mystery solved

I bought my wife a steel birth year Rolex about nearly 20 years ago and she asked me to return it - ‘that’s a lovely gesture but I really don’t want to get mugged for a Rolex - I’m happy with my quartz Tag’ - and she wasn’t travelling daily on the tube!

Master
    One of my daughter's good friends has saved like mad over the years, on his 21st he bought a a Rolex OP.

He commutes to Cardiff daily and has replaced the Rolex with a Tag quartz as he had a few undesirables openly approach him about the watch.

His mindset was very much one of stopping the attention as much as possible.

Regarding the OPs daughter, who knows whether he was a watch nerd? Equally I think she'd have known by journeys end if he was a hard core watch thief. It's simply not worth attracting attention, 1 friend and one ex colleague have been mugged at knife point in London now.

Whilst London may be getting the headlines I'd be under no illusion that any large city has similar groups and individuals that won't think twice about turning your watch / possessions in to cash.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Edited. Got it right the third time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plot twist she wants to sell the watch but is looking for approval as it was a gift. So she made a guy mentioning a watch sound like Fagan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Plot twist she wants to sell the watch but is looking for approval as it was a gift. So she made a guy mentioning a watch sound like Fagan!
    What would she replace it with?

It's very sad that we live in a society where we fear having a watch stolen.

Hopefully she can get something as a daily and something for nicer occasions from the sale of the watch?

Master
    Wow!! Unpleasant!!!....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    What would she replace it with?

It's very sad that we live in a society where we fear having a watch stolen.

Hopefully she can get something as a daily and something for nicer occasions from the sale of the watch?

With another Rolex she prefers.

I was just going back to my younger days when I was gifted something I didn't like. I'd throw in the too nice to wear or scared of breaking.

Maybe she's wanting to get permission to sell a thoughtful gift for something she would prefer i.e. datejust

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    The scenario sounds quite reasonable to me but, given the times we live in, my thoughts would have been analogous to my crossing the road rather than walk behind a lone female. Best to keep quiet...sad really. Best not to interact with anybody????
    Probably for the best, say nowt, eyes down, don't engage...worlds gone mad, we've lost something, not exactly sure what...

What does one expect when one travels on the train with the riff raff, pests everywhere. Next time take get Jeeves to drive the Rolls.

Yes, man attempts to chat up a woman then leaves her alone, dreadful behaviour.

Unusual watch choice for a 4-foot 6-stone petite lady (size and looks), I can see why it would attract attention. Given that not all chancers would wait around for a stern talking to, I'd suggest she adopts something a little less conspicuous (which it sounds like she's doing).

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    What does one expect when one travels on the train with the riff raff, pests everywhere. Next time take get Jeeves to drive the Rolls.
    Who was it that said:
    “When you make travel cheap, the cheap will start to travel”

(in the days of steam I think)

As per the Rubiales thread, a lot depends on the context and tone.

Clearly "you are brave to wear that watch" could be delivered in quite an intimidating style and given your daughter mentioned it to you, perhaps this was the case (and given her profession shes probably skilled at reading people).

So to answer your question, yes but you would still be unlucky to have a problem over a watch, especially if you are generally sensible

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The sequel was better....just

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Who was it that said:
    “When you make travel cheap, the cheap will start to travel”

(in the days of steam I think)
    MickP I think