closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday Musings of a Watch Nerd

Holiday Musings of a Watch Nerd

So musings from my current holiday, as a watch nerd.

There is lots of talk on the forum about a perfect "holiday watch", it turns out, from the non enthusiast (assuming of course I am not at watch enthusiast hotel), that the perfect "male" holiday watch for most seems to be Garmins and Apple Watches. I've never seen so many in my life.

A couple of pieces have caught my eye (whilst breaking from looking after the children and reading The Heroin Diaries) which I thought I'd mention.

There is a chap here who by night wears a rather lovely Royal Oak Offshore on a blue band. What's interesting is that by the pool ... No AP,* which means, by day, it must be in the hotel room (eek). I wouldn't have the minerals to leave one of those in my hotel room!

Another dude has a solid YG Sky Dweller, which does have a certain "narcos" look about it, but it does look cool by the pool. It's teamed with Cartier bangles in gold and a hairy chest and moustache.

I'd love to strike up a conversation with either of them, but past experience tells me that this can often lead to embarrassment and awkwardness, which is a little sad. Also, and it's my issue, but I've assumed that we're not totally on the same page as I'm sat here in my AliExpress swimming trunks and crocs, and both of these guys are in designer gear head to toe.

Also, I'm wearing my G Shock Octagon so my enthusiasm may look a little out of whack, especially if they are not watch people!

Lastly, I'm at the Tui Atlantica Caldera Palace in Crete, which I would thoroughly recommend for both families and couples, they seem to cater for everyone without any obvious overlap. Perfect.

Hope this was interesting to someone!

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamiej; 24th August 2023 at 18:22.

Well, it was to me! Enjoy the rest of your holiday

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nuts leaving a watch of that value in a hotel room. A holiday watch gets worn 24x7.

Have been meaning to write something similar, but keep forgetting. Back in July we went away to Turkey (Belek - right in the heatwave 40+ each day) other half’s main family, was 21 off us. Also a Tui magic life hotel.

I wore my BB58 and didn’t take it off. Apart from a massage. Mainly spotted Apple iWatch/ Garmin/ Samsung smart watches.

I did spot a a couple of Tags F1 & Aquaracers. Plus 2 titanium Panerai’s. As I was trying to contain my 6m old in the buggy to get asleep, I did mention nice Pam - he said thanks.

Interesting read OP

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s interesting to observe others but I would not start a watch based conversation, we watch nerds tend to be boring b@stards! - residuals, property portfolios, MX5s…

I guess it depends on what you are doing for a holiday.
    But when on holiday the last thing I want to do is worry about smashing / damaging / losing a watch. Something cheapish, rugged, legible day / night and waterproof does me. A g shock or smart watch is the perfect Holiday watch but I dislike digital.
    I don’t tend to go places where I need to dress up, in fact I avoid it at all costs so never take “a nice watch for the evening” I find wearing one watch for 2/3 weeks straight is quite a nice change, one less thing to think about and another change to the usual routine of normal life which is watch holidays are supposed to be about.it also means the holiday watch is associated with great memories (and some not so great)
    That said, in the past I have taken a selection but it was such a fuss I would not go back. I then went to one watch and a selection NATOs and now just one watch.
    I am not sure I would leave anything of value in a hotel though.

I don’t pay attention to what appear to be expensive looking watches on others, they are so widely faked that at normal distance you really can’t tell. I find watches to be a very private pleasure.

I definitely like a G-Shock for beach and pool as there is so much needless risk to an expensive watch in that situation. I had an epiphany with a newly serviced Explorer and a stoney beach in the South of France, such anxiety! I will take a nice watch on holiday, and will leave it in the hotel safe some of the time.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Here in Turkey everyone is wearing a rolex but not in the pool
    Plus all the shop windows are full and you can buy them no waiting lists

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve spoken to strangers about watches in the past - and had some nice chats, but you have to choose the right make/model imho. I was wearing a Sinn U1, bloke opposite me on a virtually empty tube was wearing a UX - we both caught each other checking out the others watch and (not surprisingly) he turned out to be a fellow WIS. Also had a great chat with someone who’d clocked my Panerai Destro (about 20 years ago when they weren’t as well recognised) - he was wearing a Seiko SKX007 at the same kids party but had a collection at home so we spoke for ages whilst the kids ate jelly and ice cream. Had the same when I was wearing a Casio Frogman, someone at the next table in a restaurant had an original 80’s screwback square and had never seen a frogman in the metal. Cue a Japanese digital chat which had both our partners rolling their eyes!. However if I saw someone wearing a modern vanilla Rolex, Omega, whatever I wouldn’t engage in conversation as generally they don’t even know it’s not battery powered!

How do you know all their gear isn't fake?

I used to watch spot all the time on holidays, hoping to strike up a conversation with a stranger about a shared passion, but I quickly realised most people couldn't give a toss about watches and unless the watch was vintage or rare, anything expensive was bought purely for the brand recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How do you know all their gear isn't fake?

You can usually tell based on the cost of the hotel. If you’re paying £10k for a week in a 5* luxury resort then it’s likely that the blokes watches are real. Usually the wife will be wearing a Cartier or Datejust and carrying a designer bag to the pool too.

If you’re in 2 star in Benidorm and the lads are wearing Primark swimmers and RO Offshore, chances are, it’s not legit.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You can usually tell based on the cost of the hotel. If you’re paying £10k for a week in a 5* luxury resort then it’s likely that the blokes watches are real. Usually the wife will be wearing a Cartier or Datejust and carrying a designer bag to the pool too.

If you’re in 2 star in Benidorm and the lads are wearing Primark swimmers and RO Offshore, chances are, it’s not legit.
    Obvs, but I have no idea about the hotel the OP is staying in, other than the name?

I last went on a hotel holiday in 1988 when I was 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Obvs, but I have no idea about the hotel the OP is staying in, other than the name?

I last went on a hotel holiday in 1988 when I was 16.
    I’ve just had a quick look for a family of 4 for this week next year and it’ll set you back £6403 (flying from Manchester). I’d assume most nice watches worn poolside would be genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    Lastly, I'm at the Tui Atlantica Caldera Palace in Crete, which I would thoroughly recommend for both families and couples, they seem to cater for everyone without any obvious overlap. Perfect.
    Curious, so individual travellers don't exist as 'everyone' is encompassed by families and couples. Seems like we still have outcasts of sorts in society.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Curious, so individual travellers don't exist as 'everyone' is encompassed by families and couples. Seems like we still have outcasts of sorts in society.
    Christ, of all the things to get bent out of shape over. I bet you get your panties in a right bunch when people don't put their pronouns in am email signature.

Grand Master
    If your sat there in your Aliex trunks and crocs,consider they might be also sat there wearing fake watches.

It's a fair question regarding the poshness. I'd say the resort is reasonably posh and the numbers quoted above look about right. My vagueness is due to the fact that I've technically been taken away on holiday by my in-laws. Win.

G shock is perfect for me, for two unobvious reasons. Firstly, it's on a strap so I can flip flop from left to right wrist with equal comfort and fit, ensuring a full arm tan on both sides :)

Secondly and perhaps most importantly is the DAY function. Not that it hugely matters what the day it is but it helps me keep track of where in the holiday we are, time wise, with the 1000AM beers and every meal like a last supper, it's easy to lose track of time!

I'm fairly certain the above mentioned pieces are real. A YG Sky Dweller on a bracelet would be a fairly niche fake. It looks correct as well, rather lovely actually. The accompanying jewelry and Dior beach bag seem to validate as well.

Royal Oak ... Unsure. The LV shoes and well dressed kids would suggest it's real too.

Good for them.

Lastly regarding catering for "all" ... I do mean all except singles. This would probably not be the spot to go to if you were single. Having said that, it's a great place to people watch if that's your thing. A colleague of mine went to a singles resort recently and although apprehensive, came back and said it was brilliant.

I'm back to people watching, let's see what I spot next!

Side note. My AliEx trunks are un-branded ... (obviously) and my crocs are the real deal. I'm not one for fakes, in any arena!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Nuts leaving a watch of that value in a hotel room. A holiday watch gets worn 24x7.
    We dont know if the watches mentioned are genuine......may be fakes.

We will never know.

Grand Master

Really.......Paid much more for 2 weeks in the Maldives(Kuredu).
    I did wear a Rolex,my 5512,but my mate wore a fake datejust.

In Benidorm a few months ago and will be there in Nov.I dont know what Ill wear.Your logic sounds like it would fit & will,but not for everyone.

The fact is we would never know.

Master
    I just wear whatever I happen to have on departure morning, it’s a watch, it’s insured so anything happen all good.

I'd guess a good majority of blokes in your office/at your next school event/down the pub will be wearing an apple watch or similar to be honest, it's a society thing not a holiday one

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I just wear whatever I happen to have on departure morning, it’s a watch, it’s insured so anything happen all good.
    I'm starting to think more this way ... it's insured so why not just wear what you want.

I'd avoid a ROlex in a crime spot just because I don't want the trouble but otherwise just wear what I fancy even if there is a risk of damage (usually that means maybe falling off the bike)

I find the whole "it's insured" argument a bit weak. All my watches, apart from perhaps my BB58 have a bit of a story to them, which makes them special. If one was ripped from my wrist, yes they're insured, and yes, it's only a watch, but I'd probably feel the same as one of my daughters if their favourite teddy got lost. The replacement would not be the same.

Maybe I'm in a minority on this, but seeing as I don't have the luxury of buying a new watch every five minutes, there tends to be a journey to each new purchase, which gives that specific watch some value beyond its monetary value.

I'd be heartbroken if my BLNR was stolen as it was a gift for my 30th, and it's got as battered as me from then till now. I'd by distraught if my SKX (J1) got smashed as it was a gift from my mum when I was on my early 20s which sent me on this weird journey.

Similarly, there are countless posts of "I'm looking for an XX and have seen this, what are your thoughts" many helpful responses about the period correct bracelet and bezel, and the lume plots all look good ... Etc etc. It gets stolen ... You get the money ... And the search starts again ... It's just a massive hassle and invariably you're not going to end up where you started.

Recently some dingbat reversed into my Audi RS4 (B7) which was immaculate. Now yes, it was insured, and yes its fixed... But I can't help looking at it and thinking "hmmm, it's not quite the same as it was :(

Last edited by jamiej; 25th August 2023 at 19:37.

Craftsman

Interesting assumption, but not sure I agree. Just got back from a couple of weeks in Turkey, touring the country, both town/cities and far out places in the middle of nowhere. Ended up in a 5 star for the last 6 days on the west coast. The hotel and facilities were faultless.

It had a very nice jewellery store, including watches. And you can guess the rest.

In the major towns and cities, Jewellery stores were openly selling replica watches on the high street.

For info, I took 2 watches, my Casio Protrek for the gadgets (always comes with me) and my late 1990's Tag classic black faced diver. Slim, quartz, so set and forget, with QR straps (all rubber and different colours/styles), 37mm, so right for all occasions. My wife left her watch at home, and wore my blue-faced Citizen Eco Drive diver BN0151-09L, which looked fine on her.

But watches aside, Turkey was a great place to visit, the people friendly and helpful, and the food superb. Will definitely return.

Blog Entries
    One of my favourites during holidays: looking at other peoples watches. Last year on Schiphol, heading for Boston, I spotted a guy wearing a PP Nautilus. The first time I saw one IRL being worn. The guy tried to look shabby, but all his clothing was shabby-chique, so to speak.

One of my fellow sailing instructors wears an AP Royal Oak when he's learning people to sail... But then again, he has never worked a day in his life. His dad (and now he) owns large patches of ground around Schiphol; the 'leasehold' is the English term I think. For me, that AP is looking at the ultimate holiday watch...

Wow. Just saw some chap rocking an old Tag with one of those double S bracelets which alternate from brushed to polished around the bracelet ... My god I've not seen one in years. Probably 20 odd years ago, and I thought it was the coolest watch ever.

Quick Google tells me it was a TAG Heuer S/EL... Any love?

Last edited by jamiej; 26th August 2023 at 14:01.

Master
    Wow. Just saw some chap rocking an old Tag with one of those double S bracelets which alternate from brushed to polished around the bracelet ... My god I've not seen one in years. Probably 20 odd years ago, and I thought it was the coolest watch ever.

Quick Google tells me it was a TAG Heuer S/EL... Any love?

I owned one of those many years ago, even got the AD to swop the dial in some way. Traded it back to him against a TT tank francaise chronflex.
    God I loved that watch.
    Edit to add, I got my dad the follow up version, link watch IIRC, which he still owns.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    You need to book yourself on the next Invicta cruise; I missed the first and was privileged to be able to be on the proceeding up to 2020. Totally agree with decision because of Covid to not continue at the moment, (presume that's the case). Can’t say how much I miss them.

Extremely good value, didn’t buy a single watch, great people and experience. No need to stress about replica watches Invicta watch enthusiasts they would I hope never allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercat View Post
    You need to book yourself on the next Invicta cruise; I missed the first and was privileged to be able to be on the proceeding up to 2020. Totally agree with decision because of Covid to not continue at the moment, (presume that's the case). Can’t say how much I miss them.

Extremely good value, didn’t buy a single watch, great people and experience. No need to stress about replica watches Invicta watch enthusiasts they would I hope never allow it.
    Not sure I could manage that. A casual glance at a few wrists over a holiday suits me fine. A boat load of watch enthusiasts ... May not be my cup of tea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercat View Post

Is this a cruise full of people that like Invicta watches?

https://watchintyme.com/index.php?th...cruise.769929/

https://www.facebook.com/invictaoceanvoyage/

https://youtu.be/LCe5N3SJ8WY?si=5kxLwc1pzsp3avnN

Oh my god it is!

Maybe we can hire a rowing boat for a Timefactors get together?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Oh my god it is!

Haha. I'd be keen for that! (The row boat)

Lastly, I'm at the Tui Atlantica Caldera Palace in Crete, which I would thoroughly recommend for both families and couples, they seem to cater for everyone without any obvious overlap. Perfect
    Look really lovely from the website. But, it looks all inclusive, and for me I like a nice local Greek Taverna too much. Enjoy your stay.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Oh my god it is!

Just took a look at the Facebook page and saw my mug in background (way in the background) of one of the photos, again I totally recommend it.

Master

Currently in Antalya...

...and I brought my Grand Seiko GMT quartz and Tudor BB54. I thought the BB might be a bit under the radar but yesterday evening one of the traders in the bazaar picked up on it immediately.

And tonight a respected (????) diamond dealer had a 2011 Submariner date for $10k, don't know if that's reasonable or not, looked genuine with all paperwork and a few scratches/marks.
    Last edited by markbannister; 31st August 2023 at 21:54.