closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Northampton

Northampton

I'm planning to pop into Northampton in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me if it has an ULEZ zone in operation?

Ta

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    I'm planning to pop into Northampton in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me if it has an ULEZ zone in operation?

Ta

Not yet!

I was going to say that there was one on St Giles' Street, but that would be a load of cobblers.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I was in Northampton today with my daughter. No charging zone, but had I seen that Mr. Curta post, I’d have been around to his place like a shot, drainpipe under one arm and an Andrex puppy under the other.

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post

Ta
    It doesn’t but you’ll need to get a tetanus.

Not your typical tourist destination….
    Although some interesting history.

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Not your typical tourist destination….
    Although some interesting history.
    My wife, for some unknown female reason, wants to look at shoe museum. As if she doesn't have enough of her own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d be in and out quickly if I was you… hope you can avoid the “ spice boys and girls”… I was last there about 3 years ago on a weekday afternoon and everywhere I went there were many people clearly (who reside in the city centre doorways and benches) off their faces on drugs and drink.
    I know most towns and cities have these characters but it was worse than anywhere I’ve been in this country.

Master
    I visit Northampton quite often and hadn't noticed that. Chelmsford is a bit like that, that's the only town I know where it's conspicuous. I love Northampton, nowhere quite like it.

The cultural quarter isn't too bad, TBH. Don't go further north than St. Giles' Street. Market Square, Abington Street and The Grosvenor are nothing to write home about these days.

I'd recommend parking in St. Johns multi storey opposite Morrisons and stroll up the hill to the museum.

There's a nice winebar next door on the corner of St. Giles' and Guildhall if you need a break whilst she's looking at the footwear, and Maule Collective on Derngate is great for craft beer.

78 Derngate is also well worth a look whilst you are in that neck of the woods, it's not as though you'll be coming back in a hurry.

Maule collective do a nice Scotch egg as well

As others have said the Cultural Quarter is quite nice and The Maule Collective is well worth a visit if you like craft beer.

If you're looking for somewhere to eat, The Smoke Pit is great for Burgers and Steaks.

And if you eat in the Pizza Express on Derngate, reflect that during the 1980’s it was an IT reseller where I once worked. History is everywhere!

One Saturday morning, prepping for a launch event on the Monday, I was dragging the prototype Apricot VX-FT server up to the top floor - the server was the first production 486 computer with micro-channel architecture; it was the size of a decent chest freezer, and weighed a ton.

I slipped and it hit every step to the bottom of the flight, even rounding the corner in its descent.

It still worked though, and I may have forgotten to mention it to our Apricot rep when he arrived on Monday.

As you enter the building, look to the staircase to the left and imagine the terror of Jr. Browne all those years ago. I’ll haunt the building from the afterlife, I’m sure.

Opposite is Montague Jeffrey, which is a really good gents outfitter, and 78 Derngate is deffo worth a peruse if you appreciate Charles Rennie McIntosh design.

If she’s in, my daughter will happily make you a cuppa - she’s studying in Northampton to be a paramedic, and so can help bind your inevitable wounds, although I think the main thing she’s learning is how lucky she is to have not lived in Northampton town centre for the first 20 years of her life. Pony stables are few and far between in NN1, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the Apricot story, DB.

Speaking of Montague Jeffrey;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-23002146

Craftsman
    What a beautiful turn of phrase from Errol Flyn

"....inability, not disinclination"

Thats from a time when people knew how to write letters.