closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moving from an OP41 to the new 40mm Explorer?

Master

Moving from an OP41 to the new 40mm Explorer?

Assuming you could get the Explorer reasonably swiftly at list, would you make the move? I have enjoyed wearing the black OP41 but have often felt a bit underwhelmed by it. The proportions for me are all right but I don't feel it has much 'about' it.

Have always had a hankering for the Explorer but 36mm was always too small and had to frustratingly pass on the 39mm when offered from ADs in the past.

Thoughts?

Personally they are too similar. Keep the OP41 and save/buy a Sub/GMT/Explorer2.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Personally they are too similar. Keep the OP41 and save/buy a Sub/GMT/Explorer2.
    I think they're subtly different, and arguably the Explorer has more 'heritage'. I have a five digit sub and nothing else in the current Rolex lineup interests me.

Grand Master
    If you've become bored with the OP the same will probably happen with the Explorer, you're changing for changes sake. I'm a strong believer in building a collection over a period of years, when you get bored with a watch put it away for a few months and it's surprising how the enthusiasm returns, owning several watches is the best option IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you've become bored with the OP the same will probably happen with the Explorer, you're changing for changes sake. I'm a strong believer in building a collection over a period of years, when you get bored with a watch put it away for a few months and it's surprising how the enthusiasm returns, owning several watches is the best option IMO.
    The difference is that i've always wanted to an Explorer. When I got the OP41 it was more luck than anything, it happened to be available and I had the funds.

Moving from an OP41 to the new 40mm Explorer?

Give it a go, should be easy enough to try on

I tried one on recently and also tried on a DJ41 smooth bezel on oyster at the same time-preferred the DJ which I wasn’t expecting.

I would say an Exp or DJ would be an upgrade from the OP.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 21st August 2023 at 18:12.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want to, do, but imo you'll be back to being underwhelmed once the honeymoon period is over.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd do it as I think the Explorer has more "character" than the plain OP ... to the man in the street they are the same watch ... Explorer has more of a back storey to it ... after all it was the first watch to summit Everest ... ;-)

If you are underwhelmed by the OP41, you are going to feel similarly about the Rolex alternatives. As good as they are, they are not exactly the pinnacle of excitement. I also regard the Explorer as a 36mm watch.

I like Rolex and have several, but I find my horological excitement elsewhere

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I'm a strong believer in building a collection over a period of years, when you get bored with a watch put it away for a few months and it's surprising how the enthusiasm returns, owning several watches is the best option IMO.
    I very much agree with this. OP, put the OP41 away for a month and don't look at it. Wear your other watches. Don't be tempted back to the OP41 until a full month has lapsed. When you get back to it I'd put money on you falling in love with it again. I do this with all my watches but there is the added caveat that I dont allow myself to advance the dates manually so if a watch stops on 7th of the month I have to wait until that date comes around to put it back on. Sounds daft, probably is daft but it's meant that I fall back in love with each of my watches at the start of the wearing cycle. It also helps weed out those pieces that are unloved and need to be moved on.

Master
    I very much agree with this. OP, put the OP41 away for a month and don't look at it. Wear your other watches. Don't be tempted back to the OP41 until a full month has lapsed. When you get back to it I'd put money on you falling in love with it again. I do this with all my watches but there is the added caveat that I dont allow myself to advance the dates manually so if a watch stops on 7th of the month I have to wait until that date comes around to put it back on. Sounds daft, probably is daft but it's meant that I fall back in love with each of my watches at the start of the wearing cycle. It also helps weed out those pieces that are unloved and need to be moved on.
    I’ve not worn it for three months!

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I’ve not worn it for three months!
    How big is your collection?

If I'm understanding correctly, Rico always preferred the Explorer but availability/circumstances led to him ending up with an OP. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the watches are quite similar so probably not room for both in a normal collection. In that context, making the switch to his preferred choice now that availability is better seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, Rico always preferred the Explorer but availability/circumstances led to him ending up with an OP. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the watches are quite similar so probably not room for both in a normal collection. In that context, making the switch to his preferred choice now that availability is better seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    Agree with this, I would make the charge if you have always wanted an Explorer.

Master
    How big is your collection?
    It's quite modest:

SKX007
    Seamaster
    Moonwatch
    14060m
    OP41

Assuming you could get the Explorer reasonably swiftly at list, would you make the move?
    Yes I would. I had the 40mm Black OP for a while and it was lovely, but a bit vanilla. The Explorer is vanilla with a flake, which is infinitely better.

It's quite modest:

SKX007
    Seamaster
    Moonwatch
    14060m
    OP41
    In that case, replacing it with an Explorer might actually make sense. In any event if you've not worn the OP41 for 3 months I'd say it's time to move it on.

100% agreeing with Wiiiley on that, there is nothing more bland than the OP in the Rolex catalogue (which is not necessarily a negative, it is a classic for sure).

I would have a smooth bezel DJ or an explorer anytime over an OP. They will not be the most exciting watches out there still, but imo they have more character and a stronger identity, so I would do the move to the explorer 40

Personally for my wrist I'd find the 41mm OP too large for that style of watch, 36mm better suited. I've tried both the black & sunray blue OP 36 on and the Rolex Explorer 36mm, whilst not overly keen on 3 6 9 format of the Explorer I was smitten and found it wore nicer than the OP.

Visually it's a bit more and correct me if I'm wrong a better clasp?

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Personally for my wrist I'd find the 41mm OP too large for that style of watch, 36mm better suited.
    I disagree. The OP range is more Explorer than Datejust and as such I find it works better as a sportier more casual piece than as a dress watch, particularly in the OP41 form.

Conversely, because it's 'dressy' I find the DJ41 absolutely doesn't work at the larger size. DJ36 is a much better size imo for that type of watch.

The OP41 is well proportioned and works as a more casual piece. I have 18 cm wrists and am waiting on the silver OP41 that I tried on recently. The gold hands and indices turn the dial from everything from silver to champaign and it's utterly sublime. Much more interesting than the black dial which I have zero interest in.

I disagree. The OP range is more Explorer than Datejust and as such I find it works better as a sportier more casual piece than as a dress watch, particularly in the OP41 form.

Conversely, because it's 'dressy' I find the DJ41 absolutely doesn't work at the larger size. DJ36 is a much better size imo for that type of watch.

The OP41 is well proportioned and works as a more casual piece. I have 18 cm wrists and am waiting on the silver OP41 that I tried on recently. The gold hands and indices turn the dial from everything from silver to champaign and it's utterly sublime. Much more interesting than the black dial which I have zero interest in.
    Not a problem each to their own and obviously wrist size will come in to factor. Now I know the OP41 isnt actually 41 but more 39, when I've tried them on, I find the dial to big when a slim bezel makes it appear larger than it is. 36mm in that style works. Explorer probably works better at 39 as the numerals take up more real estate in the dial. DJs again IMHO look to big at 41mm (for me). Again personally preference I'm not keen on the gold and silver colour scheme, I did prefer the older all steel variant (dial).

No the older white OP39 (wonder what actual size it was) was sublime.

Good luck in what ever you decide to go for though.

Master
    Sounds to me like you have already made the decision in your head. I actually really like the OP41 but think the explorer is more interesting with the 3,6,9 and I also like the added lume and clasp. I think you should go for it.