closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should our Car be ULEZ Compliant?

Should our Car be ULEZ Compliant?

I live less than one mile from the ULEZ boundary. We sold our non compliant diesel estate recently and replaced it with an EV.

However, we also have a little petrol run around (Vauxhall Agila) that has been in the family for over 20 years, and is useful for all the crap jobs that you don’t want to do in a new car, like hauling garden waste to the local refuse centre etc.

I checked the reg (X256 GBP) and it is not UKEZ compliant, as it is not Euro 4.

But then I did some digging and the X10XE engine associated with this car is Euro 2 (not ULEZ compliant), but our car has the upgraded Z10XE engine, and this is clearly stated on the documentation we have (see picture below).

The Z10XE engine is Euro 4, so should be ULEZ compliant.

Have I missed something here? If not, how should so approach this
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 9th March 2024 at 00:47.

Craftsman
    It will be based on output emissions and what standard the car was certified to

If certified to EU4 then it could be a good challenge to TfL

If not then regardless of capability they will treat it as EU2

Stuck in your reg into the government vehicle tax check website will tell you what emissions level it was certified to

As an example the engine rarely changes across a range but the exhaust after treatment will which means the same core engine can be certified through from EU2 to EU5 back in the day

Frustrating, so close yet so far. My suspicion is you'll get a 'computer says no' response if the reg checker is telling you it's non-compliant, as it's all about the vehicle rating.

We're 0.5m inside the new ULEZ boundary on a cul-de-sac and they've landed a camera right on our quiet little road just to ensure nobody sneaks out without paying Thankfully our car is compliant, but there's a few annoyed neighbours!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Frustrating, so close yet so far. My suspicion is you'll get a 'computer says no' response if the reg checker is telling you it's non-compliant, as it's all about the vehicle rating.

We're 0.5m inside the new ULEZ boundary on a cul-de-sac and they've landed a camera right on our quiet little road just to ensure nobody sneaks out without paying Thankfully our car is compliant, but there's a few annoyed neighbours!
    Could you push it the 0.5m?

Master
    I’ve had this scenario before where a family member car was showing not compliant. It’s fairly common.
    You need to approach the manufacturer and they will write you a generic letter to let you know the car is compliant. Ensure the letter is addressed to you.

You then need to email that letter to TFL and they will update their database. You will then no longer be charged.
    Any charges you pay before that, they will refund.

You can call TFL before you do all this in case something has changed. I did it about a year ago so it shouldn’t have. They will also provide you the email address to send the letter from the manufacturer.

Note when speaking to the manufacturer the letter you are asking for is called a certificate of conformity from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I’ve had this scenario before where a family member car was showing not compliant. It’s fairly common.
    You need to approach the manufacturer and they will write you a generic letter to let you know the car is compliant. Ensure the letter is addressed to you.

You then need to email that letter to TFL and they will update their database. You will then no longer be charged.

You can call TFL before you do all this in case something has changed. I did it about a year ago so it shouldn’t have. They will also provide you the email address to send the letter from the manufacturer.

Note when speaking to the manufacturer the letter you are asking for is called a certificate of conformity from memory.
    Thanks. That is a very helpful response and I will follow your guidance. I will update the thread when I have been through the process to let you know how I get on.

Is this how people on FB and Nextdoor are saying that they can get your non compliant car compliant?

I did wonder how they did it at the time and the only thing that came to mind was they must work in the ULEZ offices but if a faked letter is all it takes then who knows?

Just checked the logbook and their is no emissions data or Euro X engine information.

Checked the Vehicle standards agency and they only have data from 2001 (ours is a 2000 car).

You have to wonder where TfL are getting their data from as it is wrong. My guess is they are going on the cats age as they say Euro 4 is only as early as 2001. Wrong!

I have the original Vauxhall Car Pass that came with the car confirming a Z10XE engine which is Euro 4.

I then go to HPI emissions standard checker which after putting the reg in, gives me this answer.
    I have previous (several) with TFL and the are a complete shower of sh1t.

Is there a fall back option of having the car tested?

I know there's a TFL-approved place that does it for motorbikes (https://www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com/)

Master
    Was surprised last week when I found that our RRS is ULEZ compliant

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Was surprised last week when I found that our RRS is ULEZ compliant
    Nothing to do with fuel economy or CO2 emissions. It is about the harmful NOx emissions.

If you have Euro 4 (petrol) or Euro 6 (diesel) you are golden, no matter how big your car is or how bad the fuel economy/CO2 emissions are.

Master
    Daughter is off to uni next year September 2024, several of her uni choices offer placements within the ulez zone which means any car she gets would thus need to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Daughter is off to uni next year September 2024, several of her uni choices offer placements within the ulez zone which means any car she gets would thus need to comply.
    Arrange accommodation near her placement.

It is madness for a student to have a car in Greater London.

Public transport in outer London is not as good as inner London, but still excellent and better than most of the rest of the country.

I recently bought a new to me Lexus NX hybrid which I thought was compliant but TFL website disagreed. I rechecked Lexus website to make sure it was compliant and indeed it was.

I went back on TFL website and had to send photos of V5 and photos of the car. I didn’t not bother getting a manufacturer letter. It was resolved in a couple of days.

I would raise a case, after which you will receive an email where it is easier to explain rather than the initial online restricted form.

It might be worth finding similar cars online (eg Autotrader) and the sending information either as links or screenshots via email (or both).

Master
    It’s a mystery to me that little cars like this are not ULEZ compliant, yet my wife’s 2005 gas guzzling 5.7 V8 is.🤪🤪

Master
    Was the Euro 4 engine fitted as new or was it swapped in? I doubt a modification will be accepted but if the former then I'd skip TFL and go to the source of their data. Speak to the manufacturer and then the DVLA. If you can show them a letter or type arrival cert from the manufacturer indicating the engine is Euro 4 compliant in that vehicle then they will change their records and your V5 to show it and TFL will accept that. I had a similar issue with my 2004 911, which showed no Euro data on the V5 and was thus liable. I got a letter from Porsche UK which showed my car it was indeed Euro 4 (listing the chassis number too) and they sent me a new V5 to show it. Job done, no more LEZ issues.
    Last edited by Padders; 21st August 2023 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Was the Euro 4 engine fitted as new or was it swapped in? I doubt a modification will be accepted but if the former then I'd skip TFL and go to the source of their data. Speak to the manufacturer and then the DVLA. If you can show them a letter or type arrival cert from the manufacturer indicating the engine is Euro 4 compliant in that vehicle then they will change their records and your V5 to show it and TFL will accept that. I had a similar issue with my 2004 911, which showed no Euro data on the V5 and was thus liable. I got a letter from Porsche UK which showed my car it was indeed Euro 4 (listing the chassis number too) and they sent me a new V5 to show it. Job done, no more LEZ issues.
    What p1sses me off is that when there is no data on the car (and there isn’t on ours; nothing on the V5, nothing on DVLA; nothing on Driver Standards Agency which is what TFL references) TFL seem to default to no compliance.

Most people will trust that TFL must be right when in fact they have done fook all investigation.

If TFL don’t have the data, they should right to each keeper explaining this and that the have defaulted to non compliance until you can prove otherwise. At least that will alert the keeper to do some of their own investigations.

I only chased this as I serendipitously noticed that something was not right when I looked through the cars documentation. No idea why I did this, but if I hadn’t that would be a old car needlessly sold on.

Master
    If you can get a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer and the emissions levels are below the limit, you can submit this to TFL and they will update the information associated with your car.

I rang Vauxhall yesterday to enquire about the Euro number of my engine. They gave me a case reference number and said they would get back to me I’m 3 days.

One day later they rang to confirm the engine is Euro 4, so ULEZ compliant.

If I need a certificate of conformity it is around £200. I said that is not far of the what the car is worth, and is there an alternative.

They said they could issue an emissions letter which is apparently free. I’ll have the latter please!

Trouble is, there is a backlog, so may take 3 weeks or more.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I rang Vauxhall yesterday to enquire about the Euro number of my engine. They gave me a case reference number and said they would get back to me I’m 3 days.

If I need a certificate of conformity it is around £200. I said that is not far of the what the car is worth, and is there an alternative.

They said they could issue an emissions letter which is apparently free. I’ll have the latter please!

Result then !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

As above, that is what I did and it worked just fine, but don't just send it to TFL, send it to the DVLA too so it is permanently recorded against your car on the V5. Then the vehicle will be exempt from every LEZ in the country rather than just London and will increase in value as a result.

Master
    As above, that is what I did and it worked just fine, but don't just send it to TFL, send it to the DVLA too so it is permanently recorded against your car on the V5. Then the vehicle will be exempt from every LEZ in the country rather than just London and will increase in value as a result.
    £250?

but don't just send it to TFL, send it to the DVLA too so it is permanently recorded against your car.
    That is an excellent idea, except the car has never travelled more than 8 miles from home in the last 15 years.

But, I will do it anyway.

I hate TFL from my numerous run-ins with them over the years and their complete belligerence and frankly downright dishonesty when it comes to appeals, so I am off to ring Radio London to offer this story in the hope of giving TFL some more sh1t press.

Well does euro compliance even matter after brexit?

Well, what a palaver that was.

Stellantis (Vauxhall) were initially a pain in the arsenal, but they came good in the end.

On the 21st August I asked Stellantis for an emissions letter which they will dole out free of charge. This would satisfy TfL requirements to exempt the car from a ULEZ charge.

Two weeks later I get an email to say they have stopped doling out the letters FOC and I need to pay £195 for a Certificate of Conformity (CoC). The car is worth less than the cost of the CoC!

Anyway, polite persistence and multiple times nagging them and asking them to honour their commitment for a free emissions letter, and they finally gave in and sent me a CoC FOC.

Twenty-three years old, and Postman Pat’s car lives to fight another MOT. I get my skip on wheels back, and my older kids get an ideal cheap car to learn to drive in.

Some really nice cars on the What Do You Drive thread, and I like my EV, but I have a more than grudging respect for this old girl which was unsurprisingly given to us by my wife’s grandmother 16 years ago, and she had owned it from new 7 years before that.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 9th March 2024 at 00:48.

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Well does euro compliance even matter after brexit?
    In car terms euro N is just an emission control standard (a noun). It’s not about complying with Europe or any other country.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

The engine on my car isn't ULEZ compliant, however, it does have stop start. So, as London has a congestion problem which is acknowledged by the charge and my engine will be off in traffic, does that mean my car's exempt from the charge? Calculating it as an average.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    The engine on my car isn't ULEZ compliant, however, it does have stop start. So, as London has a congestion problem which is acknowledged by the charge and my engine will be off in traffic, does that mean my car's exempt from the charge? Calculating it as an average.
    Most likely not I'd think.

Master
    For some reason, I love that GBP number plate on the Agila.

I suspect that may also be worth more than the car!

For some reason, I love that GBP number plate on the Agila.

I suspect that may also be worth more than the car!
    The tape that has been stuck in the cars tape deck for years is worth more than the car.

Cue anyone under 35 wondering what the hell I am talking about.

Master
    Apologies if this has been answered already, but how come some cars show up as ULEZ compliant for London, but don’t meet the CAZ criteria elsewhere? They claim to have the same requirements (don’t they?) but why don’t they use the same database FFS?

For example I was looking at a car on Autotrader that came up clear for ULEZ/London but not Bristol, Birmingham or Scotland. I checked an identical model/year and it came up clear for all locations so presumably some discrepancy somewhere - but why the inconsistency?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Apologies if this has been answered already, but how come some cars show up as ULEZ compliant for London, but don’t meet the CAZ criteria elsewhere? They claim to have the same requirements (don’t they?) but why don’t they use the same database FFS?

For example I was looking at a car on Autotrader that came up clear for ULEZ/London but not Bristol, Birmingham or Scotland. I checked an identical model/year and it came up clear for all locations so presumably some discrepancy somewhere - but why the inconsistency?
    I presume because the owner has provided the details of compliance to TfL only, and not to other CAZ operators.

Best to send the details to the DVLA and this will update all ULEZ and other CAZ systems.

I haven’t done that as out car never travels more than a few miles around London.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post

Are you sure Scotland is a ULEZ? Making a ULEZ which covers around a third of the UK's landmass seems a bit much.

jim