TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removed

Scouse Pussy?

Like school in the summer. No class.

Master
    Mine says hi

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Time they stopped trying to milk the moon connection, it happened over 50 years ago and in retrospect it's no big deal, they supplied the watches.........so what? .
    You’re so right, I went to the moon yesterday. It was sh*t. Just no atmosphere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Of course it is Paul, but whilst you know more than most about the mechanical workings of a movement you know sweet FA about the market, because that is not your area of expertise. If it was I would ask you to justify the bog standard moon watch with the white Snoopy dial that is no more than a standard £4.5k watch having a current market value of over £30k.

I’m sure your response would be full of bonkers, crazy, idiots etc etc, but as Mick P will tell you, it’s the market.

You are a purist and focus on the working of the movements, if I get into my car I really couldn’t give a shit as long as the damn thing starts when I start the engine.

Yes, I agree as many others do that Omega are milking the golden duck (work that one out), but because the way the market has gone over the last ten years we are all required to become players. We can’t all buy Grandfathers Omega from e-bay, polish and service it and tell everyone how bloody wonderful we are - well you do.

Thanks for shitting on my thread, is that because I couldn’t help you with the passport, but if I’m not happy with the watch I can easily move it on for above what I paid, as long as I’m quick because it will only be worth £8k soon.

Just lighten up.

Walkerwek1858 is a massively negative influence on this forum if you ask me. Always has his own wacky opinion to try and shove down peoples throats.

I normally don’t get involved in this side of the forum but there have been more than a couple of occasions where this guy has boiled my p1$$ with his “I’m a watchmaker so I know better than you” attitude.

The guy that was looking for a running watch for his son so Walkerwerk was telling him to get a simple Casio watch really took the biscuit!

The poor OP has posted a great review of what is a bloody awesome watch in everyone’s opinion except Walkerwerk’s so he sees fit to sh1t on the watch because of its old movement design.

The watch in question is a faithful recreation of an old watch so guess what, it’s got an old movement in it !
    Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 17th August 2023 at 21:11.

Removed

Paul, If you had a bit of class you could have made your points without coming across as condensing and superior.

I actually agree with some of your points and disagree with a lot as well but overall you miss the point on this watch. This isn’t about improving the movement, if it was you can go and get a Cal. 3861 Speedy, but about resurrecting a historic movement from scratch and allowing collectors to own something special. It has a higher cost to make than a standard speedy and it has a lot of heritage and so Omega are well within their rights to charge a higher price for it and the market will let them know if they have priced it right or not!

Also if you had any class you wouldn’t be so quick to insult people with playground name calling with a not so subtle undercurrent of stereotyping racism! So rather than whinge about the OP taking his ball home why not just say sorry for being an arse about it?

I also have to be honest that your continued behaviour is one of the reasons I rarely join the Virtual GTGs nowadays.

Grand Master
    I didn't shit on the post, I merely shared my opinion. Sorry if a few of the thinners-skinned amongst you can`t accept that. It does seem a shame that Ken's pulled the post but he's done that to make me look bad, he's behaved like a maungy kid.

I tell it how I see it and I`ll continue to do so as I see fit. I don't see TZ as a popularity contest, if you don't like what I post that's tough.

I`ll continue to post, I`ll continue to fix watches and give great service to those who are happy to deal with me. Meanwhile I`ll continue to enjoy my extensive collection of proper Omega watches from the era when the company was genuinely at the top of it's game.

I`ll continue to join in the VGT Thursdays, anyone who wants to chat to me is welcome. Contrary to popular opinion I don't have horns growing out of my head.

Grand Master
    Walter. Kens reviews was amazing, your reply was factual and balanced but delivered without lube so lube up and apologies as you have and lets get it back live as a great contribution
    RIAC

……he's done that to make me look bad, he's behaved like a maungy kid.

I tell it how I see it and I`ll continue to do so as I see fit. I don't see TZ as a popularity contest, if you don't like what I post that's tough.
    You show a remarkable lack of self awareness

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrary to popular opinion I don't have horns growing out of my head.
    Maybe not horns but certainly a dick!

The last person who posted casual racism in the G&D got banned, the same should apply here. It's not acceptable anywhere.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I didn't shit on the post, I merely shared my opinion. Sorry if a few of the thinners-skinned amongst you can`t accept that. It does seem a shame that Ken's pulled the post but he's done that to make me look bad, he's behaved like a maungy kid.

I`ll continue to post, I`ll continue to fix watches and give great service to those who are happy to deal with me. Meanwhile I`ll continue to enjoy my extensive collection of proper Omega watches from the era when the company was genuinely at the top of it's game.

I`ll continue to join in the VGT Thursdays, anyone who wants to chat to me is welcome. Contrary to popular opinion I don't have horns growing out of my head.
    You know it’s not mandatory to have an opinion on everything, right? You can just walk on by and say nothing.
    Last edited by tiny73; 17th August 2023 at 21:50.

Grand Master
    Can`t see anything to apologise for, I shared my views and a few of you are struggling to accept that.

If Ken's happy with his £14k watch he should've kept the post live and stood his corner. I wouldn't spend that money on it, but that's his prerogative, I wouldn't buy a lot of the stuff that gets swooned over on here and I wouldn't buy lots of the watches I end up working on.

Really can`t see what all the fuss is about.

Can`t see anything to apologise for, I shared my views and a few of you are struggling to accept that.

If Ken's happy with his £14k watch he should've kept the post live and stood his corner. I wouldn't spend that money on it, but that's his prerogative, I wouldn't buy a lot of the stuff that gets swooned over on here and I wouldn't buy lots of the watches I end up working on.

Again, maybe just walk on by instead of spreading your vitriol, sorry, “opinion” over things you don’t agree with/like. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The last person who posted casual racism in the G&D got banned, the same should apply here. It's not acceptable anywhere.

Stop being so bloody sensitive, me and Raffe have a mutual dislike, he has a dig at me and I give him it back. Play the tell tale tit and tell Uncle Eddie to ban me if it makes you feel better.

My comments regarding the watch were based on what I see as the technical shortcomings. Provided the watch is accurately set in beat from new it should never need adjustment, but if it does it becomes a far more difficult task than it should be as a result of the antiquated design. Omega were clearly hellbent on using the 321 movement in it's original form and that has taken precedence, I see it as a crass marketing ploy and some of you are struggling to accept that. If that amounts to pissing on Kens fireworks I regret him taking offence so easily, that wasn`t my intention, but that's how he's chosen to react and a few folks have jumped on the bandwagon.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th August 2023 at 21:58.

Stop being so bloody sensitive, me and Raffe have a mutual dislike, he has a dig at me and I give him it back. Play the tell tale tit and tell Uncle Eddie to ban me if it makes you feel better.
    Racism is racism. It's up to Eddie whether he accepts it from you on his platform or not. I used to have some respect for you but that evaporated long ago with your belligerent and unpleasant behaviour towards others.

Ouch........that shot was a bit below the belt!
    It seems to me, that you are a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If one person calls you a cowboy it’s an opinion.

If five people call you a cowboy it might be time to get your saddle out.
    Depends on who the five people are, doesn't it?

Mostly the wailing is coming from the Bear Pit's teeth-sucking old dears getting in a flap because someone was mean about a detail about one of their expensively boring and boringly expensive watches. I'm seeing a lot of taking this as an excuse of shove the boot into PW, and not much of engaging with the point he's making. All in all, a pretty low-grade thread.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Racism is racism. It's up to Eddie whether he accepts it from you on his platform or not. I used to have some respect for you but that evaporated long ago with your belligerent and unpleasant behaviour towards others.
    Aw mate, I`m almost in tears!

No one's prepared to debate the points I originally raised on this thread in an objective fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Depends on who the five people are, doesn't it?

Mostly the wailing is coming from the Bear Pit's teeth-sucking old dears getting in a flap because someone was mean about a detail about one of their expensively boring and boringly expensive watches. I'm seeing a lot of taking this as an excuse of shove the boot into PW, and not much of engaging with the point he's making. All in all, a pretty low-grade thread.
    Respectfully I disagree. The wailing is down to how the opinion is delivered, not the opinion itself. It smacks of “I know more about watches than you all and you’re all stupid for liking this watch and anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot because I know better than you cretins”.

It’s not just this thread, it’s every thread where he has an opinion contrary to what’s being asked. In short he’s a patronising, curmudgeonly misery and that’s why people are criticising.

(Awaits the inevitable insults rather than self-reflection)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    It seems to me, that you are a dick.
    Can`t remember having any issues with you but I`m happy to add you to ze list.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Respectfully I disagree. The wailing is down to how the opinion is delivered, not the opinion itself. It smacks of “I know more about watches than you all and you’re all stupid for liking this watch and anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot because I know better than you cretins”.

It’s not just this thread, it’s every thread where he has an opinion contrary to what’s being asked. In short he’s a patronising, curmudgeonly misery and that’s why people are criticising.

(Awaits the inevitable insults rather than self-reflection)
    What do you want me to say in reply? Tell you what, end me a PM, give me your phone number, and we'll have a proper chat......see what you've got to say for yourself.

What do you want me to say in reply? Tell you what, end me a PM, give me your phone number, and we'll have a proper chat......see what you've got to say for yourself.

I’d like you to take a look at how you engage on here and ask yourself if the how rather than the what might be why you find yourself at the centre of a lot of these conversations. But you won’t, because you’re right. Always right.

And give you my phone number to “chat”? I wouldn’t waste either of our times, frankly.

Master

Considering on how this thread turned out, no one seems to care about your views. Time to stop

Aw mate, I`m almost in tears!

No one's prepared to debate the points I originally raised on this thread in an objective fashion.
    It's not the points, it's the person. Few are prepared to debate with you because everyone has seen how you swiftly resort to petty insults, and they usually get worse the later it gets. You get annoyed when people suggest that you may have been drinking, but you are solely responsible for what others may think about you from what and when you post.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Considering on how this thread turned out, no one seems to care about your views. Time to stop

Maybe you're right, time for a few necks to get wound back in. Can`t believe the reaction my comments have provoked.

Dis the Speedmaster at your peril.........ironically I own a couple myself along with 18 other Omega offerings!

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=Mr Curta;6261207] You get annoyed when people suggest that you may have been drinking, others may think about you from what and QUOTE]

Now don't start that again, I thought we'd sorted that out.

Removed

Maybe you're right, time for a few necks to get wound back in. Can`t believe the reaction my comments have provoked.

Dis the Speedmaster at your peril.........ironically I own a couple myself along with 18 other Omega offerings!
    Bloody hell, you just keep missing the point. No one, not one, had an issue with your comment on the watch movement. It was the attitude with which you gave them and then responded to people calling you out.

Wake up and have some self reflection/awareness of how you come across. If the majority of people think you are being an arse, maybe think why that is. It is isn’t because you don’t rate the 321 reissue that’s for sure!

You could have stopped all this with a simple apology around your ‘tone’ but no you had to come out fighting as you are continuing to do by now asking people to take it PM or phone calls. What’s next outside by the bike sheds? You bloody arrogant bullying Jessie!
    Last edited by paw3001; 18th August 2023 at 16:56.

Yet another car crash.

edf

I am with you Paul. To issue a new watch, with an antiquated and outdated movement, for a huge premium over a similar watch with a better movement, is decadence personified.

I like my early seventies classic sports car, with carbs and a manual choke, no ABS, no airbags etc etc. I see value in it as a vintage object. But who would pay a premium for such a thing new today? Perhaps someone who would buy a new valve powered tv for a huge premium, who would do that I wonder?

Of course you always have the quartz and mechanical argument and quartz tends to win on all functional comparisons, so really you have to compare only within those separate categories. For instance I do have a Speedmaster moon watch but I don't compare it with my Casio MRG's because it is inferior in every possible, objective, way as a watch.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    edf.

I am with you Paul. To issue a new watch, with an antiquated and outdated movement, for a huge premium over a similar watch with a better movement, is decadence personified.

I like my early seventies classic sports car, with carbs and a manual choke, no ABS, no airbags etc etc. I see value in it as a vintage object. But who would pay a premium for such a thing new today? Perhaps someone who would buy a new valve powered tv for a huge premium, who would do that I wonder?

Of course you always have the quartz and mechanical argument and quartz tends to win on all functional comparisons, so really you have to compare only within those separate categories. For instance I do have a Speedmaster moon watch but I don't compare it with my Casio MRG's because it is inferior in every possible, objective, way as a watch.

Mitch
    More guff. It can be argued any watch beyond the lowest priced ones which provide all the functionality required is decadence personified.

If you’re looking for logic in the watch industry then you’re going to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    More guff. It can be argued any watch beyond the lowest priced ones which provide all the functionality required is decadence personified.

If you’re looking for logic in the watch industry then you’re going to be disappointed.
    Furthermore, while he is right about TV he could write the exact opposite if he had taken hi fi as his example, where old tech new amps fetch a pretty penny.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    More guff.
    Was somebody in this thread claiming that one side of this argument was presenting itself in a morally superior fashion?

Grand Master
    Much as I like the standard hand- wound Speedy I’ve always found it wears too big for my liking, I’ve serviced several and had chance to try the watch on, but try as I might I couldn't be happy with the size. I own a Speedy reduced 3510.50 which isn’t quite the same but is a far better size for me. However, the original Ed White model would but just OK for me and if the reissue had been priced sensibly, with an 1861 movement , to run alongside the full fat moonwatch I would seriously consider buying one. I couldn't care less about the space shite, doesn’t interest me or send me dewy-eyed, it’s all about the watch for me.

That’s my position on this one, the concept of reissuing the Ed White was fine because its a nicer size and arguably a nicer case shape, Omega chose a different route that gets some folks swooning sufficiently to stump up £14k.........personally I don’t get it!

Master
    As someone else above said luxury watches are not about their inherent monetry value but about making us feel warm and fuzzy, however the manufacturer achieves this.

I think quite a number of people on this thread need to take a close look at themselves in the mirror, and at their part in spoiling it!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Was somebody in this thread claiming that one side of this argument was presenting itself in a morally superior fashion?
    Didn’t realise the original thinker would be offended by the use of guff.

I should have called the poster a boring back slapper with unoriginal thoughts, which is obviously the morally superior way to deal with these things.

Could this thread just not be laid to rest and OP copy and paste the original post into a new one where we can cut the squable? I missed out on this and one I'd have liked to have read and enjoyed the pictures, seems a shame it's 1. been deleted and 2. gone way South in the comments.

Thoughts and prayers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    edf.

I like my early seventies classic sports car, with carbs and a manual choke, no ABS, no airbags etc etc. I see value in it as a vintage object. But who would pay a premium for such a thing new today?Mitch
    You're going to lose your shit when you hear about Singer and the prices they charge for a tarted up old Porsche.

Much as I like the standard hand- wound Speedy I’ve always found it wears too big for my liking, I’ve serviced several and had chance to try the watch on, but try as I might I couldn't be happy with the size. I own a Speedy reduced 3510.50 which isn’t quite the same but is a far better size for me. However, the original Ed White model would but just OK for me and if the reissue had been priced sensibly, with an 1861 movement , to run alongside the full fat moonwatch I would seriously consider buying one.
    They've already done a reissue with the 1861 - https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...31132403001001