closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Central London - Am I Being Daft?

Just stick it in your pocket until you feel unobserved and reinstall when in secure surroundings. I have been living in London for40+ years and have yet to experience any bother, however, this may well be my last post,, pride, falls et al ....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I don’t think it’s just about London getting more dangerous. I spent over 20 years working in Soho and wore a Rolex nearly every day, even falling out of pubs and clubs at 2am blind drunk, never a problem. And I never even thought I would get mugged. But this is when steel sports models cost £1500 - £3k and freely available at nearly every AD - which was a lot cheaper comparatively and before watch collecting was mainstream and long before instagram etc etc. Now prices, availability and the whole internet bragging social media/organised looting n Oxford Street cobblers is in vogue - I certainly would never wear a Submariner in Central London! As an aside I’m built like the OP but if anything I think a big bloke can attract a gang of thieves, and we’re no more knife-proof than a little 7 stone fella!
    Good points here. I'm a big lad with a (little) bit of training. 1 v 1 or even 2 v 1 I might stand my ground but these guys are mob handed & one person hasn't got enough vision or reaction time to deal with that. Plus, like you said, bigger, traditionally built, guys are no more resistant to sharp objects than racing snakes. The difference being that the racing snake stands a better chance of making a run for it...

Ignore this - I was wrong.
    Last edited by snowman; 16th August 2023 at 22:14.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I wear my Explorer in London all the time, but it's OK because nobody wants to nick that one

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I wear my Explorer in London all the time, but it's OK because nobody wants to nick that one
    ‘Excuse me sir, before I mug you how many millimetres is the case, and does it have the shorter handset or the longer one? - oh you’re ok, I want the newer model, have a lovely evening’

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The days of me wearing my Sub in Londonistan are over.
    Seriously? Or are you going to say that Borrisey was a better Mayor that Sadiq Khan?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I don’t think it’s just about London getting more dangerous. I spent over 20 years working in Soho and wore a Rolex nearly every day, even falling out of pubs and clubs at 2am blind drunk, never a problem. And I never even thought I would get mugged. But this is when steel sports models cost £1500 - £3k and freely available at nearly every AD - which was a lot cheaper comparatively and before watch collecting was mainstream and long before instagram etc etc. Now prices, availability and the whole internet bragging social media/organised looting n Oxford Street cobblers is in vogue - I certainly would never wear a Submariner in Central London! As an aside I’m built like the OP but if anything I think a big bloke can attract a gang of thieves, and we’re no more knife-proof than a little 7 stone fella!
    Problem is the little scrotes all watch Tik-Tok etc so often know as much about watches as you may, they also see all their idols flashing the bling, and they want some too

Tik Tok idols aren't wearing SS Subs though. They are wearing Royal Oaks, Hublots, Richard Mille and gold shiny things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This is my approach.
    That is crazy but I am not surprised, I do think London gets all the wrong press, I think it is a safe city and have been to a lot worse places in Europe. Some parts of Athens or most of Barcelona or all of Paris for example.

If going out with the lads, I don’t wear anything expensive, not because I might get robbed but because I am likely to damage / lose the thing (I have before), if going to dinner I might wear something nice but I am not going to the sorts of places that might be a bit rough, I don’t get tanked up and keep my wits about me, just the same as I would in Paris, Berlin, Athens or Europes arm pit - Barcelona. Not because of my watch but because the Mrs is with me.
    If I am am going somewhere rough I adjust my dress to suit.

It’s really not that bad here, my driver drops me off where I want to go and I don’t have to look at the poor because of the tinted windows on the Bentley :-p.
    My mate got mugged in Paris on his honeymoon years ago and he doesn’t even own anything expensive

Master
    Currently in the Liberty Bounds, Tower Hill. Captain Willard & I are doing OK so far...

Wear a Sub. Even if it gets robbed, soon they are going to sell for peanuts.

Clearly the sensible option would be for Rolex to offer 10 hours of free Krav Maga classes with the sale of every Sub.

Job done.

Master
    Wear a cheap, nasty knockoff, the joke will then be on the thief?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Wear a cheap, nasty knockoff, the joke will then be on the thief?

After you have been stabbed!

Master
    The Captain & I are on the way home, unsullied by ruffians. The Captain was admired, but by a work colleague of mine, so no drama there...

Journeyman
    Subs and DJs are the most common watches I see in London.
    You'll be fine.

FYI, I live near Brixton and never had a problem wearing a PO, Exp 2 etc or more recently my SD43 with my short sleeved shirt/ tees.
    Never been mugged or harassed and regardless on what the media report, I feel safe here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    The Captain & I are on the way home, unsullied by ruffians. The Captain was admired, but by a work colleague of mine, so no drama there...
    Was the Captain wearing steel or rubber, or was it not that kind of night out "the Horror"....glad you made it back alive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Was the Captain wearing steel or rubber, or was it not that kind of night out "the Horror"....glad you made it back alive.
    The Captain was on the OEM black rubber. Understated but classic.

I was watching a documentary on You Tube about watch thief gangs and they attend watch school and are taught what to look for, apparently they can identity an A. Lange & Sohne no problem and know exactly what they are looking at

Master
    I spent a few days with the wife in London earlier this week. I was conscious of this issue and despite having worn my Sub, Speedie, and also Pelagos during previous visits (we go down once or twice a year so not a frequent visitor), I wore my SPB143, the wife her MoonSwatch.
    Albeit we didn't venture out of central London, I felt perfectly safe and couldn't help but think that I would have happily taken the Pelagos or Speedie.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I spent a few days with the wife in London earlier this week. I was conscious of this issue and despite having worn my Sub, Speedie, and also Pelagos during previous visits (we go down once or twice a year so not a frequent visitor), I wore my SPB143, the wife her MoonSwatch.
    Albeit we didn't venture out of central London, I felt perfectly safe and couldn't help but think that I would have happily taken the Pelagos or Speedie.
    That's the issue though isn't it? I swapped my Sub for a Seiko yesterday and felt relaxed in the West End. Was that down to the fact that the danger is overrated or were there in fact myriad muggers pinging the Seiko & thinking "Nah, I'll hang on for a Daytona innit".
    Schrodinger himself would wrestle with such a conundrum...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I was watching a documentary on You Tube about watch thief gangs and they attend watch school and are taught what to look for, apparently they can identity an A. Lange & Sohne no problem and know exactly what they are looking at
    Do you have a link?

Master
    That's the issue though isn't it? I swapped my Sub for a Seiko yesterday and felt relaxed in the West End. Was that down to the fact that the danger is overrated or were there in fact myriad muggers pinging the Seiko & thinking "Nah, I'll hang on for a Daytona innit".
    I absolutely take your Point. Next time we go I probably will wear the Pelagos, but equally I will be conscious to be more aware of my surroundings and who is paying too much attention than if wearing the Seiko.

Master
    During the 1820s a Farmer named William Cobbett wrote a series of books entitled Rural Rides. Cobbet was a left wing politician/farmer who paid his workers over the going rate and made sure that their stomachs were filled with good food. He saw the good in everyone and his book was a recollection of his journeys on horse back through the country and also in the cesspit of London. He called it the Great Wen meaning it was filled with people who lacked honesty and who would steal anything from anyone. London destroyed his confidence in mankind but it was restored when he left it.

After reading his book in the 1980s, I rapidly came to the conclusion that he was right and that some things never change. London is still the Great Wen.

I would never wear a Rolex in that place, it's just not worth the risk.

Wear it at your peril.
    Last edited by Mick P; 18th August 2023 at 22:58.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Tik Tok idols aren't wearing SS Subs though. They are wearing Royal Oaks, Hublots, Richard Mille and gold shiny things.
    But they also watch the grey market dealers like Luxury Bazaar etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    During the 1820s a Farmer named John Cobbet wrote a series of books entitled Rural Rides. Cobbet was a left wing politician/farmer who paid his workers over the going rate and made sure that their stomachs were filled with good food. He saw the good in everyone and his book was a recollection of his journeys on horse back through the country and also in the cesspit of London. He called it the Great Wen meaning it was filled with people who lacked honesty and who would steal anything from anyone. London destroyed his confidence in mankind but it was restored when he left it.

After reading his book in the 1980s, I rapidly came to the conclusion that he was right and that some things never change. London is still the Great Wen.

I would never wear a Rolex in that place, it's just not worth the risk.

Wear it at your peril.
    Utterly true, we are all dishonest and will sell our own family, luckily I have one Grandmother who is still alive, it’s a wonder we have not sold her for organ donation.

Utterly true, we are all dishonest and will sell our own family, luckily I have one Grandmother who is still alive, it’s a wonder we have not sold her for organ donation.
    Typical southerners really, never trust a people who consider a boiled eel a delicacy.

Master
    I assume you are saving her up in case a CWC 1980 should become available.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Typical southerners really, never trust a people who consider a boiled eel a delicacy.
    I am sure a Morecambe Bay Potted Shrimp is a much nicer foodstuff... sea cockroaches covered in butter yum.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I assume you are saving her up in case a CWC 1980 should become available.
    I could do a job lot for my mother and Mrs if anyone is interested in a trade?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I absolutely take your Point. Next time we go I probably will wear the Pelagos, but equally I will be conscious to be more aware of my surroundings and who is paying too much attention than if wearing the Seiko.
    This is the thing - there are so many imponderables: physical size can be a deterrent, are there witnesses, are you wearing a Sub when Mike the mugger is looking for a Daytona, there are probably others...
    Safe will always beat sorry, which takes me back to my comment upthread about the benefits of concealed carry...

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The days of me wearing my Sub in Londonistan are over.
    Hmmm, London not white gammon enough for you? Sorry to hear that.

Thoughts and prayers, as ever.

Some interesting comments about places. I’ve walked round Paris at night, similarly Barcelona and many many others, many times - including the back streets of Naples - mostly with an expensive camera around my neck and never felt threatened or worried once. But the two places I have felt uncomfortable and threatened were Washington DC and London.

Personally, I wouldn’t wear any expensive watch or jewellery in either of those cities. YMMV.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    ...including the back streets of Naples...
    Were there two children begging in rags?

Master
    If you wear long sleeves you can have a Roger Smith or whatever you want in London. Nobody will notice. But short sleeves - I wouldn’t have a Rolex in site. Good mid market watches though.

Craftsman
    ...Schrodinger himself would wrestle with such a conundrum...
    Love this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I stood next to Peter Sarstedt in a urinal in Maida Vale.
    Can't remember if he was wearing a watch or not :)

Quote Originally Posted by hopak View Post
    I stood next to Peter Sarstedt in a urinal in Maida Vale.
    Can't remember if he was wearing a watch or not :)
    Not the best claim to fame, but a claim to fame nevertheless.
    Reminds me of some old joke with the punchline "got the time on yer cock?".

Master
    I don’t think Schrödinger would wrestle with the dilemma because he would have all options and none.

Sorry, just doing my risk assessment..

Master
    This thread reminds me of a book I once read about Harpo Marx.

He favourite possession was wristwatch that great sentimental value. His brother ( I assume Chico as he is reputed to have had a gambling problem) used to steal his watch and pawn it so that he could gamble or pay debts. Harpo had to find the money to go buy it back.

One day Harpo decided to remove the hands so that the pawn broker wouldn’t accept it. His watch was never taken again.

So there you have a proven solution!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    This thread reminds me of a book I once read about Harpo Marx.

He favourite possession was wristwatch that great sentimental value. His brother ( I assume Chico as he is reputed to have had a gambling problem) used to steal his watch and pawn it so that he could gamble or pay debts. Harpo had to find the money to go buy it back.

One day Harpo decided to remove the hands so that the pawn broker wouldn’t accept it. His watch was never taken again.

So there you have a proven solution!
    Ideal! Watch crime solved at a stroke! On the other HAND...

No one begging, but lots of children; mostly well clad and shod. Lads on their motor cycles opening their front doors and driving their motorbikes straight into the hallway seemed a bit, well, odd.

Naples is a great place but, like Liverpool, with an undeserved reputation. Galleria Umberto 1 is a beautiful arcade where the walls and ceiling ironwork are 'reputedly' coated in Gold, but no one seems to try to scrape it off....

Best Regards - Peter

No one begging, but lots of children; mostly well clad and shod. Lads on their motor cycles opening their front doors and driving their motorbikes straight into the hallway seemed a bit, well, odd.

Naples is a great place but, like Liverpool, with an undeserved reputation. Galleria Umberto 1 is a beautiful arcade where the walls and ceiling ironwork are 'reputedly' coated in Gold, but no one seems to try to scrape it off....

My reference was to a line in a song, it wasn't a literal question :). We went to Naples about 9 years ago, absolutely loved it, signs of civic money-saving abounded, weeds growing on pavements and litter etc but still more than charming.
    Didn't see the Galleria Umberto but 5 days probably wasn't enough by time we fitted in the usuals like Pompey and Capri.

Quote Originally Posted by pandaballs View Post
    Subs and DJs are the most common watches I see in London.
    It's similar in many cities with significant financial districts, and as good a reason as any not to wear one. Fly under the radar and let the hoodlums target someone else.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

My reference was to a line in a song, it wasn't a literal question :). We went to Naples about 9 years ago, absolutely loved it, signs of civic money-saving abounded, weeds growing on pavements and litter etc but still more than charming.
    Didn't see the Galleria Umberto but 5 days probably wasn't enough by time we fitted in the usuals like Pompey and Capri.
    My bad LOL. That song must be from way back in the 60's.

Yes, we really like Naples. I've often wished we had been there during their football season, would have loved to have gone to a match. Maybe one day?

Pompey is superb as is Capri. But if you go to Naples again it's well worth the short ferry hop to Ischia, another lovely island in the bay and a really nice place to stay.
    Best Regards - Peter

My bad LOL. That song must be from way back in the 60's.

Yes, we really like Naples. I've often wished we had been there during their football season, would have loved to have gone to a match. Maybe one day?

Pompey is superb as is Capri. But if you go to Naples again it's well worth the short ferry hop to Ischia, another lovely island in the bay and a really nice place to stay.
    Lol yes, the song was a while back.
    I think a month there would maybe cover everything. This was the view from our room and thanks for the advice re Ischia.

Lol yes, the song was a while back.
    "Where Do You Go To My Lovely"
    Peter Sarstedt 1969
    Dueted with John Otway in a resounding rendition of "Really Free" in the Robert Browning Maida Vale.

Quote Originally Posted by hopak View Post
    "Where Do You Go To My Lovely"
    Peter Sarstedt 1969
    Dueted with John Otway in a resounding rendition of "Really Free" in the Robert Browning Maida Vale.
    John Otway, that's going back. Met Wild Willy Barret once.

My last trip with the mrs to london in 2020 ended up with a 14 month wait to see if I was getting charged with GBH after some lowlife attempted to steal my trainers off my feet in broad daylight, after saying he had a knife my reaction got me arrested and held in a cell 14 hours then had to wait and not work my job as head of security for a big club for a year.

In the End case dropped and I went back to work, he got his jaw wired back and his hand out it’s cast and we never went to London again the end 🙄

Police advice was to try not to draw attention……

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Seriously? Or are you going to say that Borrisey was a better Mayor than Sadiq Khan?
    Does anyone with an IQ over 40 or so seriously doubt this?