closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Central London - Am I Being Daft?

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    According to the International Crime Index, mid-2023, Indonesia and the UK score almost exactly the same.
    Oh dear. Looks like Ryan might need to think about his post.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Firstly the crimes aren't the same - human trafficking and having your head sawed off by a deluded zealot isn't the same as having your bike nicked. Secondly it is all cobblers anyway

https://ocindex.net/country/indonesia/united_kingdom

Master
    Damn, wanted to borrow the snipers for Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Damn, wanted to borrow the snipers for Monday.

They are currently camped in SC awaiting the next Rolex listing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Firstly the crimes aren't the same - human trafficking and having your head sawed off by a deluded zealot isn't the same as having your bike nicked. Secondly it is all cobblers anyway

https://ocindex.net/country/indonesia/united_kingdom

Oh, I quite agree.

Was making the point that Indonesia's no form of paradise - and in almost every ex-pat place I can think of, there's a very distorted perspective-driven "reality". Live in Dubai as a well-funded Westerner and it might seem idyllic, live there as a poor Emirati and it's an entirely different point of view. Same with Hong Kong & Moscow (personal experience) and I suspect the same applies in Indonesia.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Oh, I quite agree.

Was making the point that Indonesia's no form of paradise - and in almost every ex-pat place I can think of, there's a very distorted perspective-driven "reality". Live in Dubai as a well-funded Westerner and it might seem idyllic, live there as a poor Emirati and it's an entirely different point of view. Same with Hong Kong & Moscow (personal experience) and I suspect the same applies in Indonesia.
    Try living in Dubai as a Filipino housemaid or a Bangladeshi construction worker.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Try living in Dubai as a Filipino housemaid or a Bangladeshi construction worker.
    Thanks, but really, I'd rather not.

Still, it's a gold-plated shopping paradise, right? And you can almost certainly wear a spangly watch without anyone robbing you. So that's all right.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I must admit I have never been, and will never go - but this is exactly what I have in mind when I think about Dubai.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I must admit I have never been, and will never go - but this is exactly what I have in mind when I think about Dubai.
    It's basically where chavs go on holiday and think it's exotic and cultural but it really isn't. It isn't the real Middle East either - better off going to Oman to see that.

It's basically where chavs go on holiday and think it's exotic and cultural but it really isn't. It isn't the real Middle East either - better off going to Oman to see that.
    I know plenty of people going there for holidays (even some repeat offenders) and also people who invested in real estate on the palm. Only yesterday I had a discussion with someone who is contemplating moving his family there (taxes) - unbelievable how people completely disregard the lack of human rights and the complete absence of any authentic culture.

I have passed through the airport a couple of times, wouldn't dream about ever seeing a foot on the ground outside.

Thanks for that. It's easy to forget just how good his free running prose was, and how much I used to enjoy his articles at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Thanks for that. It's easy to forget just how good his free running prose was, and how much I used to enjoy his articles at the time.
    His autobiography was a decent read. “Pour me” if memory serves?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    So it seems the majority people people who live / work in London don’t see it as problem but those that don’t think it’s a massive issue
    Hmmmmm…..
    One of the reasons I left London nearly 10 years ago was a nagging feeling that it was becoming a less safe place to live. I grew up in North East London, worked in central London or the West End in my 20’s and 30’s, then moved to South West London. It got steadily busier, more crowded and stabbings, muggings and drug dealing etc seemed to be reported more and more. I had a young family at the time, didn’t want them growing up there so we left. I have plenty of friends who still live in London and appear to still enjoy living there, so clearly ymmv. But I certainly wouldn’t visit the place unless I really had to let alone wear an expensive watch whilst there! - I’d keep as low a profile as possible and not wish to draw attention to myself. If I sound paranoid- perhaps it’s because I’m old enough to remember when it really did feel safer and I noticed the change?

I’m currently in Dublin wearing a Rolex. Am I in danger? Should I head for the nearest embassy?

it's London by another name. Take one city, throw as much money at it as possible to attract wealthy tourists into posh hotels and forget the rest. Different class systems between the wealthy, the workers and those forgotten at the bottom - has London written all over it. Londons advantage is its history but I suspect that if you compare Londons last 20 years vs Dubais, rationalise the difference in money spent as the rest of the UK would never let London get away with a Dubai level spend and you have more or less the same principles. Even the 'Made in Chelsea' faces made their way to Dubai.

for the record, I have spent time in both London and Dubai.

Master
    You cannot compare London and Dubai, whatever the former's faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    So it seems the majority people people who live / work in London don’t see it as problem but those that don’t think it’s a massive issue
    Hmmmmm…..
    This must be quite common wherever you live. Those that live in an area will have an opinion about it and those that visit will have another. Reminds me of that air freshener advert where they talk about nose blindness.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I’m currently in Dublin wearing a Rolex. Am I in danger? Should I head for the nearest embassy?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law...n-city-centre/

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0721/13...n-dublin-city/

Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post
    A friend had a Milgauss nearly ripped off his wrist on leaving a pub in the City. Had some tasty bruises to show for it.

He now wears a fake (£500 I think) one...
    Questionable strategy for all sorts of reasons.

Fantastic article, which confirms how I've always felt about Dubai. I'd sooner stay on a caravan park in Clacton (and I genuinely mean that) and regard Dubai as the antithesis of anything and everything good.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Fantastic article, which confirms how I've always felt about Dubai. I'd sooner stay on a caravan park in Clacton (and I genuinely mean that) and regard Dubai as the antithesis of anything and everything good.
    This. 100%.

Questionable strategy for all sorts of reasons.
    That is quite a funny strategy.

Almost like he wants the same again but thinks he’ll somehow have the last laugh when they find out it’s fake.

Saw a guy wearing a Nautilus on the train to London yesterday, shirt sleeve rolled up. I was tempted to comment, but didn’t 🤷*♂️

That is quite a funny strategy.

Almost like he wants the same again but thinks he’ll somehow have the last laugh when they find out it’s fake.
    "They cut off my hand but only got a fake watch"

The ultimate W.

Just received this, must sign up immediately. Need to make up for those losses from my investment into the "A minus B" system.

Master
    Just read that.
    A bit of a hatchet job I'd say.
    I was in Dubai for a golf holiday maybe 20 yrs ago and enjoyed it but that was before it really exploded.
    Unlikely to return now as it seems prohibitively expensive to have wine and drinks with good food which is always a big attraction of a foreign holiday for me.
    I do see the programmes with the estate agents selling apartments etc and think what the hell but also know of some nice family's that have lived there too and had good times so I'm sure it's not quite as bleak as painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    no he wouldnt have been because they had both thrown off their lowly born Tags......

Sorry !

B
    But he would have kept it just for fun, for a laugh, ha ha ha

Master
    Am completely with you there Tony, even with a warm stubby of French beer. Dubai has just always left me feeling cold.

I miss Mr Gill.

His autobiography was a decent read. “Pour me” if memory serves?
    A copy of Pour Me a Life by A A Gill has been reserved and should be ready for pick up in my local library next week. In the mean time here he is on Desert Island Disks from the days when Sue Lawley - Dudley's favourite daughter - was in the chair, and there was still an adequate supply of interesting people left who hadn't been on it.

And now back to the scheduled discussion on the lawless streets of the world's major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    A copy of Pour Me a Life by A A Gill has been reserved and should be ready for pick up in my local library next week. In the mean time here he is on Desert Island Disks from the days when Sue Lawley - Dudley's favourite daughter - was in the chair, and there was still an adequate supply of interesting people left who hadn't been on it.

And now back to the scheduled discussion on the lawless streets of the world's major cities.
    Thanks - haven’t heard that and will look forward to it this week.

London's Carnival looked like fun again.

Much like my City's annual festival.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I lived there for a year about 20 years back.
    It's a s**theap covered in glitter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    When the Grand Tour went to Dubai, James May looked out over the cityscape & said "I've got shirts older than that".

I visited London at the weekend, staying for two nights. I wore a Casio G-Shock and thought I would see some nice watches over the weekend. One Breitling watch on a tube passenger. I think everyone must have seen this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You'd think with a clear face shot like that all over the news, someone would have identified him to police. Hopefully justice is swift... anyone walking around with that kind of weapon is clearly looking to kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    "Most people had a fantastic time at Notting Hill carnival, says Met police chief"

There is a rather unpalatable analogy to that statement............................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    "Most people had a fantastic time at Notting Hill carnival, says Met police chief"

There is a rather unpalatable analogy to that statement............................
    I work with data and am an ex-auditor, I read that statement as :

of the population that expressed an opinion (ie. No responses from dead, in hospital with a knife wound or submitted a rude sketch instead of answering the question), they had a lovely time. I could not conclude if the respondents were policemen expressing their identity whilst earning double time .

Hello

I live just outside of London but commute into Central and work near Charing X.

I am very mindful of my surroundings but do on occasions wear the more expensive / more identifiable watches, think Breitling. I don't walk around with my IPhone out like some pillocks and talk on it into the speaker. I feel less safe and secure than when I walk around in other places such as Devon (at my parents). I went to Croatia recently and had no issues walking around with a Breitling and felt safer than in London. But I was less up to speed on the crime rates there or less safe areas. But there were a lot of high end watches and jewellery on far more well heeled people than me. So a better target.

In a previous role I used to visit a number of Police stations across a number of London boroughs, on a number of occasions the Police offered to drive us back to the tube / rail station as the area was a little iffy or could be. So I think a lot of it is down to perception in London and other big cities. That said, I'm looking forward to returning to my Homeland in Devon and being back by the sea. I've been in London for 23yrs and had enough of it ofr now.

I've never been to Dubai but agree with some of the comments here, it sounds awful and incredibly tacky. Each to their own but it's not for me.

Best,

Ben

Ps I do some watch spotting on the tube from time to time but am careful not to appear too interested. And you do see a variety of high end watches. And on occasions I've seen some of Eddie's as well. Which always makes me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Arabian horses couldn't drag me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Arabian horses couldn't drag me there.
    What about British horses with blue passports?

What about British horses with blue passports?
    Nope, not even wild ones...it's a line in the sand thing for me.

Been working in London for about 15 years and not a day goes by that a colleague is not mugged on the way to or from work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Been working in London for about 15 years and not a day goes by that a colleague is not mugged on the way to or from work.
    If I was your unfortunate colleague, I’d be asking to work from home.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 2nd September 2023 at 19:29.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    If I was your unfortunate colleague, I’d be asking to work from home.
    You've got to admire their tenacity though.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    He must be on first name terms with the muggers by now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    He must be on first name terms with the muggers by now!
    He gets mugged by appointment:-)

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    ...on a number of occasions the Police offered to drive us back to the tube / rail station as the area was a little iffy...
    We should probably chuck some money in a pot as a nation and hire some folk to sort that out really. But until we get that idea rolling, it's good of the police to give you a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    He gets mugged by appointment:-)
    I wonder if he's enrolled in their loyalty scheme?

I read the statement as a double negative.

Not a day goes by.... = at the end of every day.
    ... that a colleague is not mugged on the way to or from work = a colleague is not mugged.

Unless I am not mistaken.