closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turntables

Grand Master
    Just fitted the glass platter to the Rega P1 and it really does make a serious difference, now to fit the AT 95en….
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I mentioned to my mate that I was keen to play some of my old vinyl. He told me he had an old turntable I could have as he's upgraded.
    So, I am now the proud owner of an old AR Legend with a Rega arm and Goldring cartridge (means nowt to me). I've got a basic amp and speakers on the way so will see how I get on.

I thought watches were expensive!

Grand Master
    Fitting and aligning the cartridge carefully will always optimise the sound. Years ago I borrowed a test record for this purpose, have to admit the last time I did it (5 years ago) I relied on a rough gauge and careful judgement by eye. To my ears the sound is spot on, stereo separation sounds right and I think I got it pretty close to optimum.

The cartridge I use (Goldring 1022) seems to work very well with my 1980s Thorens TD 160S Mk iv, I`d owned the catridge for years but had to replace the stylus in 2018 at a cost of almost £200.......not cheap! Certainly got no plans to go down the upgrade rabbit-hole, I don't often use the turntable so it wouldn't be wise, but it's nice to know it's there and it sounds great.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Fitting and aligning the cartridge carefully will always optimise the sound. Years ago I borrowed a test record for this purpose, have to admit the last time I did it (5 years ago) I relied on a rough gauge and careful judgement by eye. To my ears the sound is spot on, stereo separation sounds right and I think I got it pretty close to optimum.

The cartridge I use (Goldring 1022) seems to work very well with my 1980s Thorens TD 160S Mk iv, I`d owned the catridge for years but had to replace the stylus in 2018 at a cost of almost £200.......not cheap! Certainly got no plans to go down the upgrade rabbit-hole, I don't often use the turntable so it wouldn't be wise, but it's nice to know it's there and it sounds great.
    I use a card protractor set I’ve had for years, and a stylus weight gauge to ensure the weights set right, oddly enough on this Rega the bias is factory set at 2g and not adjustable but this is close enough for most carts. Cambridge audio on YouTube has an excellent set of videos on how to properly set up one of these decks. I’m seriously leaning to keeping the Rega long term and selling the Linn Axis as a fixer upper, I’m liking the way the Rega sounds now and it seems a lot easier to service going forward.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Update, came across a local really well looked after Linn Basik with Akito arm and new Adikt cart fitted, took the plunge. Now got to decide whether to sell the Axis once repaired or keep it and swap the arms over.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!