closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black box car insurance for new driver

Black box car insurance for new driver

Does anyone have experience of telematics policies for new drivers? They're 20-30% cheaper for my 19 year old (e.g. about £2000 vs £2600), but there are plenty of horror stories online of kids having their insurance canceled. So, any direct experience?

Black box car insurance for new driver

I had one a few years ago. I had come off a company car policy so had no NCB.

Having a black box made my premium significantly cheaper. No issues, and got rid after year1.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    … there are plenty of horror stories online of kids having their insurance canceled. So, any direct experience?
    Friends’ son had his cancelled because he drove like an idiot too often. Think you get some “feedback” before they take such drastic measures. Just needs to be spelt out - you can have a car and use it for transport or entertainment. However, the latter won’t last long!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    I had one a few years ago. I had come off a company car policy so had no NCB.

Having a black box made my premium significantly cheaper. No issues, and got rid after year1.
    Amazed you didn't find a company equaling your company car NCB, I did that when I exited a scheme and got 9+ years applied in goodwill.

Pre blackbox era tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Amazed you didn't find a company equaling your company car NCB, I did that when I exited a scheme and got 9+ years applied in goodwill.

Pre blackbox era tho.
    Not much goodwill in car insurance these days!

I had a similar issue with coming off company car insurance to personal - their argument was that company car insurance is generally a bloc policy for all the vehicles and there is no audit trail to prove anybody is accident free or not, therefore they do not accept it (I even had a letter from work stating I had a zero accident history). Fortunately I was a named driver on the wife's car and this got me some NCD to start me off.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Just looking in to this for my daughter.
    I read somewhere it’s not just how you drive but also when you drive, and this bit is what concerns me as my daughter has some very late finishes and some very early starts, think 2-3 and 5-6am when she’s working.
    It’s my task for this weekend to look in to insurance.
    Might add the wife now as she’s had a company car for 6 years now.

Two of our kids have had a BB for their first year's insurance on a 1.4L Golf, both with different insurance companies. Neither had any issues, I think they would have to be well out of order to get cancelled. I would ignore the stories going around.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I read somewhere it’s not just how you drive but also when you drive, and this bit is what concerns me as my daughter has some very late finishes and some very early starts, think 2-3 and 5-6am when she’s working.
    Some policies don't have a curfew.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Two of our kids have had a BB for their first year's insurance on a 1.4L Golf, both with different insurance companies. Neither had any issues, I think they would have to be well out of order to get cancelled. I would ignore the stories going around.
    If it was newly qualified young drivers in my family I’d rather they got experience of driving alone while “respecting” the black box limits. I doubt those limits are so stringent as to penalise the odd slip. If anyone thinks insurers don’t use the data, I’m pretty sure they’re wrong.

Had to look that up. So the insurance company uses a transponder to track and record driving habits

I have one in my car, but I have pay as you go insurance. it tracks mileage and only bills me every 1000klm

I can check my information on the company site.

It's cancelled if the transponder is removed and not sending information.

Here's what mine tracks - records and transmits vehicle usage Data such as, distance travelled, driving behavior, vehicle diagnostic information and information relating to geographic positioning

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    If it was newly qualified young drivers in my family I’d rather they got experience of driving alone while “respecting” the black box limits. I doubt those limits are so stringent as to penalise the odd slip. If anyone thinks insurers don’t use the data, I’m pretty sure they’re wrong.
    Nobody is saying they don't use the data and yes, they get plenty of experience driving alone with a BB. They were both concerned about the BB so it may have helped to moderate their behavior, not that I had concerns that either of them was an aggressive driver.

My two eldest sons both had a black box for their first year after passing their test.

No issues, the policy is linked to a mobile app where the parent can review the driver score as appropriate.

The app highlights good and bad driving periods, and warns at 90, 80 and 70% levels.
    The new driver gets a report at the end of the 12 month period to renew or take to subsequent insurer.

It was a positive experience for both boys, and reinforces the value of careful, considerate driving.

Master
    I don’t think those times are anything to worry about, I remember reading somewhere that it was rush hours that the insurers were more concerned about.

I have no experience of BB in cars but I have lots with telematics in wagons and monitoring drivers it used to save us a fortune in fuel and you could detect lots of behavioural issues long before they came out in the open.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nephew and niece went via Adrian Flux and were recommended to us as about to do the dreaded learner and pass quotes game too.

Hi

My Son's previous experience with a blackbox was ' interesting ' and based on that I would say these times will be penalised and prevent achieving a ' good score ' i.e no reduction in premium.

They also monitor acceleration , cornering & braking.

Oh and if you book your daughter's car in for any work at a garage , declare the black box to them....our local garage junior mechanic took the car out on a test drive and exceeded the speed limit on every road which triggered an instant email from the insurers. We then had to get the garage to confirm it was their driver and not our son !

Best Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not much goodwill in car insurance these days!

I had a similar issue with coming off company car insurance to personal - their argument was that company car insurance is generally a bloc policy for all the vehicles and there is no audit trail to prove anybody is accident free or not, therefore they do not accept it (I even had a letter from work stating I had a zero accident history). Fortunately I was a named driver on the wife's car and this got me some NCD to start me off.
    True, my cayman went up from £170 ish to £316 with no changes other than me not having crashed for an extra year. It’s a joke.