closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai PAM00098 - Thoughts and Images

Grand Master

Panerai PAM00098 - Thoughts and Images

A quick look at the Iconic Panerai PAM00098 GMT Alarm Radiomir, produced from 2001-2006 with 500 released equally across the period there were 3000 made and it remains one of the most sought after and difficult to find pieces, especially full sets with booklet, thumbnail buckles or deployments. A watch that wears a little larger than its size suggests but doesn’t exclude the slimmer wrists like many Panerai do it is elegant and dressy whilst at the same time having that Panerai cool that’s sporty and fresh even 20 years later.

On the right of the case the twin winding crowns offer a range of functionality, the upper crown marked ‘OP’ will wind the watch and adjust both the time and 2nd GMT time zone whilst the lower, marked with a bell icon, winds and sets the alarm and provides an on/off function for using it. At this point we have to mention the ‘Alarm’. It is like a miniature old school alarm clock, rattling in a slightly muted chime and vibrating to alert you to an appointment or if you are a light sleeper to wake you from your slumber

The dial is luminous painted and has a gorgeous drop down framed perfectly under the 1.5mm sapphire crystal displaying Time, Date, Seconds, Date, GMT Time, & Alarm Time. The date window benefits from a magnification that is housed under the crystal making the dial smooth on the surface but functional and uninterrupted. As standard the watch came on the durable yet extremely comfortable brown alligator contrasted stitched strap with a thumbnail butterfly deployment or Panerai signed pin buckle, the butterfly being the sought after configuration that is almost impossible to find now.

Panerai’s use of zinc sulfide and radium bromide (given later the name Radiomir) to create the luminance gave them an unrivalled underwater legible dial that beams bright on land also. Where this watch breaks the Panerai tradition is in being 42mm. No surprise there you may say but back in 2001 this was not traditionally where Panerai had it watches, the 44mm & 47mm reigned supreme in the Radiomir range. This case is cast from 316L steel featuring the patented wire loop strap system via 4 screws is the classic cushion shaped case housing a modified Girard Perregeux Cal 59 automatic self winding movement decorated with Panerai parts clearly seen through the sapphire glass caseback and a 48hr power reserve. Although this has a 30m water resistant rating it probably isn’t one for the depths of the oceans. It is pretty to look at and whilst I cannot pretend to understand its capability I do understand it is based on the GP Traveller II.

As iconic Radiomirs go this is Top 5, and in my humble opinion a Top 10 must own Panerai.
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 9th August 2023 at 18:53.
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Kerry thanks for spending the time to present this special watch. 42mm makes this a good size for a lot of us, an interesting set of complications! Is this a new one to you and you have picked up some real belters recently? Cheers, Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Yep a good one - a highly unusual one too, shame we didn't see Panerai go with more interesting iterations over the coming years after.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Kerry thanks for spending the time to present this special watch. 42mm makes this a good size for a lot of us, an interesting set of complications! Is this a new one to you and you have picked up some real belters recently? Cheers, Martyn.
    Thank you. Now the market isnt the Truman show it was I am back to the love for classics and quality good lookers. Less is more sometimes and people get too fixated on the price and profit rather than the warmth of a timepiece.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Thank you. Now the market isnt the Truman show it was I am back to the love for classics and quality good lookers. Less is more sometimes and people get too fixated on the price and profit rather than the warmth of a timepiece.
    Very nicely put. I've always admired these watches but never tried one. I suppose I am drawn in by my familiarity my Legend Diver with dual crowns and 42mm size. Thanks for sharing, I really like reading long term ownership reviews of less mainstream 'sleeper' watches. I'm tempted to write one myself just for kicks even if my watch isn't necessarily that interesting or unusual!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice one that K. Very nice!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Very nicely put. I've always admired these watches but never tried one. I suppose I am drawn in by my familiarity my Legend Diver with dual crowns and 42mm size. Thanks for sharing, I really like reading long term ownership reviews of less mainstream 'sleeper' watches. I'm tempted to write one myself just for kicks even if my watch isn't necessarily that interesting or unusual!
    If you have the time and inclination please do the knowledge will be appreciated by at least one person
    RIAC

A stunning watch and a great post, thank you for taking the time to create it.

I’ve had one of those on the wrist numerous times recently as a local watch friend of mine had one and kept offering it to me, always very tempted as the GMT and alarm are useful and rare complications, especially on a Panerai, great size too.

Master
    Great review - Beautiful watch, one of my big regrets was selling mine :(

Grand Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    Great review - Beautiful watch, one of my big regrets was selling mine :(
    😀
    RIAC

It’s a top Pam, quite a busy dial which unusually for a Panerai really just works, always admired this one!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    It’s a top Pam, quite a busy dial which unusually for a Panerai really just works, always admired this one!!
    Belter
    RIAC

Grand Master

Panerai PAM00098 - Thoughts and Images

Cant make link work sorry
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 15th August 2023 at 21:10.
    RIAC

Great write up, thanks for taking time. I know most people prefer a plain dialled Panerai but I really like it when they integrated more unusual aspects or functionality to their designs -alarm, 8day power reserve, equation of time etc.

Grand Master
    RIAC

Grand Master
    RIAC

Hard to resist a 98! Picked this one up today.

Last edited by melhick; 24th September 2023 at 08:03.