closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ilfracombe Devon -Waves

Blog Entries

Ilfracombe Devon -Waves

Amazing and well-filmed. How I Spent My Summer Holiday In Devon. (And why I return by train)

https://www.dumpert.nl/?selectedId=100068803_ec0dae46

Master
    Oooops!!! What a crazy place to have a car park...

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Coming from Blackpool I still love high tide with wind behind it, always spectacular.
    Amazing the amount of damage it has caused to those cars though.

Master
    I was in Westward Ho! a few years back a few miles from this place and equally terrifying weather. The waves were chucking huge cobblestones over the wall, it was absolute chaos.

Those kids are absolutely insane running through those. Makes my legs turn to jelly the thought of what one of those big waves would do to them given they toss cars about like they are made of polystyrene!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Amazing and well-filmed. How I Spent My Summer Holiday In Devon. (And why I return by train)

https://www.dumpert.nl/?selectedId=100068803_ec0dae46
    Great film :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I was in Westward Ho! a few years back a few miles from this place and equally terrifying weather. The waves were chucking huge cobblestones over the wall, it was absolute chaos.

Those kids are absolutely insane running through those. Makes my legs turn to jelly the thought of what one of those big waves would do to them given they toss cars about like they are made of polystyrene!
    Spent many a day in the arcades there growing up. Was there yesterday as it happens :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Oooops!!! What a crazy place to have a car park...

Not been to Aberystwyth then. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Great film :-)

Spent many a day in the arcades there growing up. Was there yesterday as it happens :-)
    Been there many times in Ilfracombe, stayed at Chambercombe Manor where there was supposed to be a ghost. Great little town with its ups and downs. I still remember putting my arse against the window when some Japanese tourists came to close to the window of our cottage. ( you could do ghost tours with a guide at the manor).
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

It's not a good idea to go playing in crashing waves and as for the man who decided to 'shelter' between the BMW and the stone wall...

On that day storm Antoni had arrived and off Ilfracombe what had been a flattish sea quickly changed quickly as the wind switched to the northwest in the afternoon and the combination of a rising 'supermoon' and spring tides resulted in what you can see in the video.

We also experienced the effects of Antoni on the south coast of Devon, albeit with slightly less extremes due to wind direction. I'd crewed a boat back into Plymouth on the Saturday morning and the conditions had been rather 'challenging' on the approach, the surging tides caused plenty of damage along the coast.

This from Brixham harbour:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

There's a whole lot of expensive repairs there!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Been there many times in Ilfracombe, stayed at Chambercombe Manor where there was supposed to be a ghost. Great little town with its ups and downs. I still remember putting my arse against the window when some Japanese tourists came to close to the window of our cottage. ( you could do ghost tours with a guide at the manor).
    Around 30 years ago my father used to holiday let them for the owner who was quite an eccentric if I recall correctly. He lived in London and when he came down he used to just sleep in the 4 poster bed in the hall of the manor house which was open to visitors. All the cleaners thought it was haunted and a bit spooky but it never bothered him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow - awesome footage. I love watching the sea in all its majesty. Thanks for sharing :)

That Fiat is toast.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    Not been to Aberystwyth then. :)
    I'm from Lancaster originally and we moved to Morecambe in my mid teens. I'm used to storms, flooding and the power of the sea.

Given the power of the sea I'm often surprised that councils and private land owners have car parks whereby either they get flooded, or the sea has the potential to hurl itself over sea defences.

Common sense seems to go out of the window!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Around 30 years ago my father used to holiday let them for the owner who was quite an eccentric if I recall correctly. He lived in London and when he came down he used to just sleep in the 4 poster bed in the hall of the manor house which was open to visitors. All the cleaners thought it was haunted and a bit spooky but it never bothered him.
    Haha, small world sometimes. Manor house was indeed open for visitors, who came peeping in the window to see a few lazy guys on holiday.

A pint was exactly a pound in those days I remember.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I used to love visiting Ilfracombe when I was young.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A lucky escape for a young girl at Ilfracombe https://news.sky.com/story/north-dev...rbour-12936576

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    A lucky escape for a young girl at Ilfracombe https://news.sky.com/story/north-dev...rbour-12936576
    Wow.
    Lucky escape. That could have very easily had a very different outcome!