closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder trade ins vs straight sale price difference question

Craftsman

Watchfinder trade ins vs straight sale price difference question

As a rough rule of thumb (if there is such a thing in this case) how much more do Watchfinder offer on a trade-in/exchange, versus a straight sale?
    For example, if they offer £1000 to buy my watch, how much more would I get as a trade-in?
    Thanks!

Grand Master
    Tricky to know as jt could be choice dependant. If the said watch you wish to buy is sticking or has been purchased keen then possibly more than £1000 but no less obviously.

Id expect to get £250-500 on top if you are buying for £1250 minimum and possibly £1500 against a £4-5k purchase
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Tricky to know as jt could be choice dependant. If the said watch you wish to buy is sticking or has been purchased keen then possibly more than £1000 but no less obviously.

Id expect to get £250-500 on top if you are buying for £1250 minimum and possibly £1500 against a £4-5k purchase
    helpful to know, thanks.

Ive used Watchfinder a few times, got some decent ish, trades a few years ago.

Recently though, they have offered very low, almost derisory prices recently.

Other peoples opinions may vary, I used to (a few years ago) think they offered decent ish prices, lately though, they have been offering (IMHO) exceptionally poor deals .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Ive used Watchfinder a few times, got some decent ish, trades a few years ago.

Recently though, they have offered very low, almost derisory prices recently.

Other peoples opinions may vary, I used to (a few years ago) think they offered decent ish prices, lately though, they have been offering (IMHO) exceptionally poor deals .
    Poor deals or fair and realistic market values?
    RIAC

It probably depends if they already have your watch in stock

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Poor deals or fair and realistic market values?
    Poor deals.

As an example, I recently enquired about trading a 2 month old watch, (they had a 2 year old model of the same watch), they offered me 2 grand less, than they were selling the older watch for in the trade?

Realistic market values, poor deals, or offering very low prices? All I can say is recently (for me anyway) they have offered very poor deals.

Poor deals.

As an example, I recently enquired about trading a 2 month old watch, (they had a 2 year old model of the same watch), they offered me 2 grand less, than they were selling the older watch for in the trade?

Realistic market values, poor deals, or offering very low prices? All I can say is recently (for me anyway) they have offered very poor deals.
    What was the watch out of curiosity?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went to use them and went off them quickly, very poor service (no replys to emails they sent me) with ridiculous mark ups and just as ridiculous prices to buy.

Buying for £2,000 selling for over £4,000.unless of course that is the industry standard?

On the other hand, some members might report that WF offer them £300 more than the asking price on here, making the sale of a Grand Seiko to WF a total no-brainer.

Grand Master
    Think you have to accept that the price someone tries to sell it for is irrelevant. You submit a request for a 'to buy' price and get a reply. If it doesn't meet your expectations then turn right and move on but do not feel wronged.

It's a bit like when you advertise a watch here for sale and get PMs saying 'would you take my (insert Watch) in PX?

Well yes I will and if I really want that in PX ill pay well but if I don't want it and will be offloading it and I am helping you get into a watch you want and saving you the hassle of advertising and posting etc then please don't be upset if the price doesn't meet your expectations (which is often doesn't as all PX offers usually expect top dollar to offload)
    RIAC

Recently sold a watch to Watchfinder, the price they sold it for was approx 30% markup. Incidentally the price they gave me was £100 more than than I was asking on a private sale. Watchfinder offered the best buy price of the dealers I contacted.
    Again been in touch about another watch and Watchfinder quote was £2950 buy, £3150 p/x against a 6k purchase, Goldsmiths on the same watch offered £3400 buy and £3600 p/x against 7k purchase, so both £200 more on p/x ,so obviously it pays to shop around with Goldsmiths £450 more on the buy price.

Master
    Poor deals.

This has been my experience in the last 18 months or so, offers have been all over the place. From a very decent p/x deal end of 2021 to 8 months later and a similar p/x deal dropping £2.7k for my watch. My watch came from WF as well.

They are a mile away from being as competitive as they were. Which is a shame as in the past I did a few deals with them and they were always very straightforward and the delivery / collection service is excellent.

Craftsman
    I sold a root beer to a dealer, wf offered list, I got £15.5k from a well know dealer.
    They sold it for £18k.
    Wf prices were £18.5k to buy these in 2023 model years !
    I waited 2 years for it but did not gel with it, at least with Rolex sports you can sell above list still for the main models. But wf were laughable for it.

for a laugh email a few of my watch’s to them all were shocking low ball offers no one would sell for.