closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My budget kitchen extension project

Master

My budget kitchen extension project

Not 100% sure if others are interested but just embarking on a kitchen extension in my 2 bed terraced house - as always on a budget
    Background
    I’m retired - 55 last week- pretty handy at most things - although probably my ex wife would disagree
    I bought the house around 4 years ago and have been refurbishing it room by room
    It was owned by an elderly couple who went into a home
    The kitchen / conservatory is the last room and has been on my radar for the last year
    My SIL’s dads a chippy and is doing most of the construction work with my assistance- I’m paying him a day rate and buying all the materials
    The concrete slab was in situ and housed an 80’s conservatory (diy)
    2 mates and I dismantled it yesterday and took most to the tip the same day
    Hope you enjoy - I will ‘cost it’ if folks are interested
    The extension is approx 2.5m x 3.8m
    Pic one - sales pics from when I bought it
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    The conservatory before demolition yesterday

I’d started earlier in the year by removing the monstrosity that was the chimney in the kitchen - brick by brick
    Last year I’d removed this in the loft and bedroom above while renovating
    Last edited by lewie; 30th July 2023 at 08:08.

Master
    Crack on, love a building project

Master
    Blog Entries
    I take it something is going under that join

Craftsman
    Love it. Coming along nicely

Master
    Always find this type of thread interesting, so please keep us up to date with your progress and good luck.

P.S. it reminds me of a post on here where someone bought a large house and was doing a total renovation. Must have been about 4 or 5 years ago. Don’t know where it went.

My last house was an 1890s mid-terrace with a chimney on the first floor but neither sticking out of the roof or in the kitchen below. When I took the room above back to bare bones I discovered the chimney stack on the first floor was being held in place by one plank of wood with parquet floor pieces as wedges.

Anyway, please do keep this updated.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Thanks
    I originally had the thought of brick slips for where the chimney was but like the charm of the originals so I carefully removed and turned the 1/2 bricks I’d broken - reused some bricks on replacing a concrete lintel - repointed and sealed the brickwork
    Bought a new range and reshuffled the kitchen - and last picture is the current lay out just utilising the units I had

This is how it looked after the dismantle - took 3 of us just the morning on Friday

Started framing out the sides and lifting into place on the floor plate

1st side up
    Studwork - 11mm OSB, membrain,battening then T&G plastic to both sides- the front is 90% bifold with cedral cladding above and either side
    Last edited by lewie; 30th July 2023 at 08:10.

Master
    Steel work arriving Monday the whole back walls coming out between window and door
    Hopefully by tuesday night the roof should be on ready for the flat roof
    There will be a 1M x 1M lantern light in the centre of the roof
    My rough guess is
    Materials -£2200
    Bifold 2.8m -£2700
    Roof lantern 1m square -£1100
    Steel work £700
    Structural engineer (steel calculations) £200
    Electrical I will tackle ( just extend the kitchen ring)
    Plastering out - my brother will do (free)
    SIL’s dad - not sure just paying him a day rate
    Then I’ll put in new flooring for the whole new room and fit a new kitchen - possibly look a benchmarx
    Last edited by lewie; 6th March 2024 at 21:47.

Awesome. Such a valuable skill to be able to do this type of thing yourself in this day and age, when it's so expensive to hire someone. How did you learn all this? Were you in a related trade pre-retirement? I'm alright with a bit of flat-pack but any more than that and I'm useless

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Awesome. Such a valuable skill to be able to do this type of thing yourself in this day and age, when it's so expensive to hire someone. How did you learn all this? Were you in a related trade pre-retirement? I'm alright with a bit of flat-pack but any more than that and I'm useless
    I was a postman then RM manager - I bought my 1st house at 19 and have always tried to learn new skills but the ‘brains’ behind this is my daughters father in law - same age as me and carpenter by trade but really can turn his hand to most building tasks - I really take my hat off to him
    I’m just a 55 year old apprentice

Excellent effort and great to follow such a project. Looks like you are saving a fortune compared to engaging a builder. Not to mention the exercise and feel good factor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Excellent effort and great to follow such a project. Looks like you are saving a fortune compared to engaging a builder. Not to mention the exercise and feel good factor.
    That’s what it’s about - I’ve been planning this in my head for the last 18 months - it was just pinning my man down and putting it all together

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this thread!

As always, pictures like this help a lot to give us an idea how you're tackling the job. I really love the stones behind the stove. What did you do to 'seal' in the black spots?

Blog Entries
    Nice project. I’ve used that plastic t&g on a stud work lean to, that we had on a previous property as a daytime dog house with dog flap into part of the garden. It really works well. Last I heard from old neighbors it’s still there!

Nowhere near as nicely done as yours but served its purpose.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    The ‘soot’ ? I raked out all the joints and repointed - I dyed the ‘soot’ mortar with black cement dye then painted on 3 coats of Matt brick sealant - I’m keeping the range here so will be the resistant splash back for the hob
    I used this- great stuff need to reapply while still wet
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Always find this type of thread interesting, so please keep us up to date with your progress and good luck.

P.S. it reminds me of a post on here where someone bought a large house and was doing a total renovation. Must have been about 4 or 5 years ago. Don’t know where it went.
    This one?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...n-offer-advice

Stunning result, that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The ‘soot’ ? I raked out all the joints and repointed - I dyed the ‘soot’ mortar with black cement dye then painted on 3 coats of Matt brick sealant - I’m keeping the range here so will be the resistant splash back for the hob
    I used this- great stuff need to reapply while still wet
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have a similar sort of stuff overhere. (My BiL is in the rendering business and use a similar sort of product).

Blog Entries
    It’s deeply satisfying doing this kind of stuff yourself…. I’ve always tried to do bits and bobs and when it comes off it feels great…

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Ugh what a tease! Just read all the way through the 200+ post thread, with great pictures throughout and great detail, and then for some reason the final set of reveal photos are all gone!

love a build thread, really wish I had the skills of some DIYers , I'm hopeless!

Ugh what a tease! Just read all the way through the 200+ post thread, with great pictures throughout and great detail, and then for some reason the final set of reveal photos are all gone!
    I’ve seen that house in the flesh and the level of detail and furnishings is just astonishing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just had a delivery of all the roof timbers, wall insulation and steels - all ferried around the back by hand - worn out now
    Keeping my fingers cross the weather is ok for later - light rain so far most of the day but it stopped for now- forecast says dry from. 4pm

Haha - I followed CardShark's link before finishing this thread and did exactly the same! A great read regardless.

Master
    Well after some poor summer weather managed to get a few hours in tonight
    Flitch beam put together and installed and the front framed out

Master
    My guy came tonight - 2 and a bit hours later the roof was framed out

Master
    And the roofs taking shape
    Couple of hours tonight and bingo

Fast work Lewie!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Fast work Lewie!
    Literally I can’t believe how quickly it’s taking shape
    We’ve only done a Saturday and 3 evenings (2 1/2 hrs each)
    Hoping tomorrow night to get the vapour barrier,insulation and the t&G 18mm OSB on top then it will be down to the roofer
    Last edited by lewie; 10th August 2023 at 22:37.

That’s crazy quick progress!!

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    On the last but one photo I assume you built the box to raise the velux roof light? We did something similar in a renovation in County Kerry with a flat roof bathroom out the back over the shower and it gives a very impressive effect from the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post
    On the last but one photo I assume you built the box to raise the velux roof light? We did something similar in a renovation in County Kerry with a flat roof bathroom out the back over the shower and it gives a very impressive effect from the inside.

Yes but that’s a warm roof so 100mm of insulation plus 18mm osb and roofing finish still to go on

Master
    Managed to dodge the rain and get the roof on tonight ready for the felt
    All tarped up for the uk summer Cedral coming Wednesday roof lantern arriving Friday
    Just chasing the bifold now - was told a 2 week lead time - 3 weeks ago when I confirmed my order
    Not very exciting pics but a great sunset

Master
    How thick are the exterior studwalls going to be? And how much insulation will be going in? Will it comply with building regulations? (Asking for a friend!!)

Master
    Stud work is 100mm faced (100mm foil faced insulation board ) with 11mm osb (vapour barrier) 25mm battening then 9mm hollow T&G soffit board
    Another 20mm foil faced insulation board over the whole of the interior- so that 120mm of insulation in the walls plus the OSB T&G and plasterboard
    Will it comply with building regs - honestly I don’t really care😂 - it won’t be inspected

Will it comply with building regs - honestly I don’t really care - it won’t be inspected
    Do you ever planning on selling it, or insuring it?

Blog Entries
    Will it comply with building regs - honestly I don’t really care😂 - it won’t be inspected
    Enjoyed seeing how you built it but isn’t there a possibility that you could be made to remove it if a neighbor complained?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Enjoyed seeing how you built it but isn’t there a possibility that you could be made to remove it if a neighbor complained?
    Planning will depend on whether OP has permission or is small enough to fall into permitted development legislation, but I echo what others have said about building control regulations

Master
    It’s no larger larger the building it is replacing and is 100 x more insulated
    I will contact the local authorities
    The building was/ insured
    I’m not planning on moving anytime soon

I had a similar situation. It was a trigger's broom sort of situation. The entire unit was repaired to the point of it being replaced. But the LBC weren't informed as it was a "repair". had no issues when it came to selling.

Like Lewie the replacement was much better than what was there.

It’s no larger larger the building it is replacing and is 100 x more insulated
    I will contact the local authorities
    The building was/ insured
    I’m not planning on moving anytime soon
    I don't doubt the quality of your work, it looks great. It's just worth following the correct procedure to cover yourself. Insurance companies will do anything not to pay out on a claim, so if you had a fire, they'd immediately claim the structure wasn't safe because you couldn't prove otherwise.

Likewise when you come to sell, any buyers solicitor will want evidence of Final certificates from Building Control, Electrical and Gas in the extension. If you get a building control inspector round quickly they'll be able to see what's been done before it's covered over with plasterboard, roof and cladding.

Master
    If you are removing the existing window/door and/or wall in between, the extension will fail Building Regs on inadequate insulation. Your new rear doors (and rooflight) can be a max size of 20% of the floor area - anything over that and you need to over-insulate to compensate. 120mm Kingspan in the walls or similar won’t be near enough.

Additionally if the distance to the boundary is less than 1m then the extension needs to resist the spread of fire which it doesn’t appear to currently - PVC cladding and plasterboard either side of the timber stud.

It doesn’t have enough glazing to qualify as a conservatory so full Building Regs would be required. This means foundations to 1m depth or structural calcs to prove existing are OK, min 100mm min insulation in the floor etc etc. Bit of a can of worms really.

If it’s taller than 3m (excluding rooflight) it won’t be Permitted Development for planning. In planning terms, “replacing what was there” isn’t lawful development.
    Last edited by benny.c; 23rd August 2023 at 14:24.

Master
    Stud work is 100mm faced (100mm foil faced insulation board ) with 11mm osb (vapour barrier) 25mm battening then 9mm hollow T&G soffit board
    Another 20mm foil faced insulation board over the whole of the interior- so that 120mm of insulation in the walls plus the OSB T&G and plasterboard
    Will it comply with building regs - honestly I don’t really care - it won’t be inspected
    Only asking as doing something similar but decided not to remove a wall as then the insulation bit would fall foul with building regs. If it's your forever home no problems I suppose. Also if necessary you could reinstate a thicker complying stud wall between extension and your house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    If you are removing the existing window/door and/or wall in between, the extension will fail Building Regs on inadequate insulation. Your new rear doors (and rooflight) can be a max size of 20% of the floor area - anything over that and you need to over-insulate to compensate. 120mm Kingspan in the walls or similar won’t be near enough.

Additionally if the distance to the boundary is less than 1m then the extension needs to resist the spread of fire which it doesn’t appear to currently - PVC cladding and plasterboard either side of the timber stud.

It doesn’t have enough glazing to qualify as a conservatory so full Building Regs would be required. This means foundations to 1m depth or structural calcs to prove existing are OK, min 100mm min insulation in the floor etc etc. Bit of a can of worms really.

If it’s taller than 3m (excluding rooflight) it won’t be Permitted Development for planning. You don’t need planning permission to demolish but you do to rebuild. In planning terms, “replacing what was there” isn’t lawful unless it’s PD.
    I appreciate this my existing glazed, wooden back door and single glazed window I think cover more area than the bifold but I doubt it matters
    The building is within 1m as was the existing one - I could probably overcome this if necessary with Cedral cladding to both sides
    It’s under 3m tall
    Maybe I’ve made a massive mistake and it will have to be demolished
    Last edited by lewie; 16th August 2023 at 18:57.

Master
    You may be able to get enough insulation in but if you’re going to involve Building Control, get them in sooner rather than later so you’re not undoing anything.

The 1m rule to the boundary wouldn’t apply to your old extension as it was a conservatory but will for the new one. The fire risk is from the inside so adding the Cedral cladding may not help overall with fire resistance as your timber frame would catch fire and collapse before the Cedral could add resistance. Speak to Building Control, they may let you double up on the plasterboard if required or recommend a FireLine board instead. Probably a good idea to use the Cedral anyway as you need fire resistance on the outside too (if within 1m of a boundary).
    Last edited by benny.c; 16th August 2023 at 20:08.

I’d just keep quiet and enjoy your extension

Master
    I’m going to place fire retardant (pink) plasterboard on the interior- 15mm - I can add the Cedral later

Master
    Bit of an update if anyone is interested
    I folds fitted a couple of weeks ago
    Cedral installed last week
    Yesterday/ today a couple of my daughter’s friends fitted a fiberglass roof and also popped on the lantern

Master
    I like the lantern!!! Can you tell me where you bought it please?

Oh, and can you tell me what you used to cover the top of your upstand?

The whole thing looks really nice btw :0)
    Last edited by redmonaco; 16th September 2023 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I like the lantern!!! Can you tell me where you bought it please?

Oh, and can you tell me what you used to cover the top of your upstand?

The whole thing looks really nice btw :0)
    We use https://www.korniche.co.uk/ for lanterns.

for the upstand like that we would use a preformed GRP trims: D260 GRP wall fillet, and cover the top with G150 90° External angle trim.

It's looking good with the grey cladding on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    We use https://www.korniche.co.uk/ for lanterns.

for the upstand like that we would use a preformed GRP trims: D260 GRP wall fillet, and cover the top with G150 90° External angle trim.

It's looking good with the grey cladding on.
    Nearly the same as I’ve done
    The lanterns 1000 x 1000 internal and I bought it locally from( it’s a korniche 1152 x 1152) grey/ white with ambi blue tinted glass
    https://srsupvc.co.uk/folkestone
    The upstanding is made from a timber frame with kingspan insulation inside and covered in OSB
    The tops covered with angle trim as above
    The guy who did the roof offered to fit the lantern so I accepted
    The lantern is very well constructed and thought out - only needing a bead of silicon to bed onto the upstand

Thanks for the comment the Cedral cladding is very nice and pretty easy to work with (colour pewter)
    Last edited by lewie; 16th September 2023 at 11:35.