closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iOS 16.6 Released

iOS 16.6 Released

.....along with loads of updates to other Apple products. A bit late to this as not long in from a lllllooooonnnnngggg day in work.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    .....along with loads of updates to other Apple products. A bit late to this as not long in from a lllllooooonnnnngggg day in work.

Running 17 and watch os10 now
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    How stable is the beta?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    How stable is the beta?
    Sound, I’ve not had any issues since Betas of 10 and above
    RIAC

Master
    How stable is the beta?
    It’s not bad, this is the first early ish beta that doesn’t break the HSBC/First Direct App which is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So what? Most of us use our products as productive, critical devices and only upgrade when updates are deemed releasable. If you want to run betas then fine, that's your call but that's not the purpose of this post. This post is advising people that updates deemed mature enough for public release are available.

Grand Master
    So what? Most of us use our products as productive, critical devices and only upgrade when updates are deemed releasable. If you want to run betas then fine, that's your call but that's not the purpose of this post. This post is advising people that updates deemed mature enough for public release are available.
    From experience the betas from 11 onwards have been fine and a phone isnt critical to me. Most of the public betas are 95% there whereas developers tend not to be.

The so what? Is why does a watch forum need to know every-time a update is released when the phone tells you anyway!
    RIAC

The so what? Is why does a watch forum need to know every-time a update is released when the phone tells you anyway!
    Wow! So you install beta software and are clearly interested in testing it and then question why people might like to know when updates are released. I know from looking after my late father's phone that the iPhone won't update for several weeks after the release of new software if left to its own devices. Oh, and this update is posted in the George & Dragon, not Watch Talk but continue to make your asinine points.
    Last edited by Skier; 24th July 2023 at 22:24.

Where's the option to install these?

I know from looking after my late father's phone that the iPhone won't update for several weeks after the release of new software if left to its own devices.
    It might not update but availability is indicated.

Grand Master
    Erm Hello its a Phone! Did anyone die from updating or not updating one!

From my experience os17 and watch os10 is fine. That all. Chose your own path.
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Settings : General : Software Updates : then chose Beta
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Later phones have a switch (I have a 12 and this option is available).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

No, it isn't unless searched for.

iOS 16.6 Released

Later phones have a switch (I have a 12 and this option is available).
    Switch? (I have 13 Pro.)

Settings : General : Software Updates : then chose Beta
    Can't see that!

No, it isn't unless searched for.
    Thought Settings had a 'marker' of some sort.

I can see it and it’s not Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I can see it and it’s not Beta.
    17?

17?
    Sorry - I thought we were talking about 16.6.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Sorry - I thought we were talking about 16.6.
    No, think we can all see that. I asked how to get the betas.

Maybe it's network dependent?

No, think we can all see that. I asked how to get the betas.

Maybe it's network dependent?
    Nothing to do with network. Probably Apple ID dependant. Go to developer.apple.com and sign the agreement

^^ Thanks!

Some Salty comments here. It's just a phone update!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Some Salty comments here. It's just a phone update!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Must like the salty taste! I don’t ‘test’ a beta I just put it on the devices and use it rather than waiting. If you are risk averse then wait for the official but as I said above from experience I haven’t had a drama with watchOS, iOS or indeed any of the macOS’s when I had a laptop.

It is quite ironic that when they release the ‘safe’ version they then spend the next year releasing updates to it! No different in my opinion to addressing beta issues as they arise
    RIAC

It is quite ironic that when they release the ‘safe’ version they then spend the next year releasing updates to it! No different in my opinion to addressing beta issues as they arise
    No irony at all, it is absolutely what is expected.
    The issue will always be "how good a job they did on the alpha before they chose to release the beta?"
    As long as the job was good enough, you'll be fine.
    Then there is the unexpected combination of instructions that really requires you to reinstall everything. If your use of the phone is not critical to your professional life, and you have safe backup (that is not updated until the beta is gone) you'll be fine. A secondary frequent back up may also help recover whatever was introduced since you installed the beta.
    The question is: what benefit do you get?
    Personally, I have a fairly old phone (8) so I'm only interested in security issues as I will hardly ever gain new features (it happens, but rarely). And if it's for security going to a beta would entirely negate the purpose.
    Even if I had the newest phone, would I do beta? Probably not, as I probably do not have the discipline for nightly HD backups (the cloud is automatic).
    I like the new drug testing scheme analogy. When a lab is getting ready to test it on humans, it asks for healthy volunteers (they are paid) to check for side effects. Then it's tested for efficiency (patients who agreed to being part of the trial) against existing drugs (if any) and placebo.
    And when it is released you still get a very efficient pharmacovigilance system to report any secondary effects so that it can be established if they are linked to the drug or not. That stage is the equivalent of the different updates that are released (like 16.6).
    Your 17 beta is the equivalent of one of the 2 previous stages, depending on whether you need the improvement (patient) or not (healthy volunteer).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The question is: what benefit do you get?
    It does funkier things than the previous one did, that’s it really. No real benefit to my life or happiness but the new Watch os10 Snoopy face is fun
    RIAC

It does funkier things than the previous one did, that’s it really. No real benefit to my life or happiness but the new Watch os10 Snoopy face is fun

Dumbphones all round, that's my advice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Dumbphones all round, that's my advice.
    Which one have you got? I’ve tried the Nokia 110 4g and it’s dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Which one have you got? I’ve tried the Nokia 110 4g and it’s dreadful.
    Punkt MP02.

All those HMD "Nokia" knockoffs are the same. I tried a couple and came to the same conclusion. Forget those.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Punkt MP02.

All those HMD "Nokia" knockoffs are the same. I tried a couple and came to the same conclusion. Forget those.
    Nice one! I’ve always wanted to try one of these but the price puts me off slightly. I imagined it would be an expensive experiment, especially as I’ve tried several times already with the Nokia. Did you buy direct from Punkt, any discount code, etc. Please let us know how you get on with it long term. Any advice welcome really.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Nice one! I’ve always wanted to try one of these but the price puts me off slightly. I imagined it would be an expensive experiment, especially as I’ve tried several times already with the Nokia. Did you buy direct from Punkt, any discount code, etc. Please let us know how you get on with it long term. Any advice welcome really.
    Bought mine from Amazon. You can get 10% off buying direct from Punkt if you sign up to their (very infrequent and not uninteresting) newsletter.

Had it a couple of months now. It gets all the basics right with no fuss: it's well made with super call quality and a smart take on predictive texting. Bluetooth and tethering work as expected. Battery life is about four days on standby. Weighs nothing, but doesn't feel cheap. Nor does it feel like a step back in time (unlike those ghastly fake Nokias). It's pricey but you don't feel shortchanged.

I've been rather surprised at how little I've missed the iPhone, having carried one since the day it launched in 2007. But, like any toxic relationship, you have to know when to walk away.

Master
    Wow! So you install beta software and are clearly interested in testing it and then question why people might like to know when updates are released. I know from looking after my late father's phone that the iPhone won't update for several weeks after the release of new software if left to its own devices. Oh, and this update is posted in the George & Dragon, not Watch Talk but continue to make your asinine points.
    Some people feel special doing it, like they are above everyone else.

Grand Master

iOS 16.6 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Some people feel special doing it, like they are above everyone else.
    I doubt downloading a beta will make me feel special. Now trolling a watch forum. Thats special. Or better still 'My AD calling'. Now thats special.

Its a beautiful world when you make a choice and are flamed as special for it. Id prefer to be know as stupid, reckless, dangerous or living on the edge. What if my phone stops working properly. My life would be ruined. Give me a break. Its offered and you chose who gives a fuck. One bloke saying updates out. Another saying im using a beta and its fine. Just shared experience. Simple

Or are your panties still wet from the Bremont Viper thread and spilling over to this now!?!
    RIAC

Master
    I, for one, like the PSA on updates. Can’t hurt to be prompted to check.

Master
    I doubt downloading a beta will make me feel special. Now trolling a watch forum. Thats special. Or better still 'My AD calling'. Now thats special.

Its a beautiful world when you make a choice and are flamed as special for it. Id prefer to be know as stupid, reckless, dangerous or living on the edge. What if my phone stops working properly. My life would be ruined. Give me a break. Its offered and you chose who gives a fuck. One bloke saying updates out. Another saying im using a beta and its fine. Just shared experience. Simple

Or are your panties still wet from the Bremont Viper thread and spilling over to this now!?!
    No swearing in here, muppet.

I’m just glad your phone isn’t an important part of your life, you recklessly cool kid.

Grand Master

iOS 16.6 Released

No swearing in here, muppet.

I’m just glad your phone isn’t an important part of your life, you recklessly cool kid.
    Can you go back to trolling Notaglove now we are freinds again

Ps: Watch Os10 Beta 4 just dropped. Installing now. Im really moist
    RIAC

Master
    Can you go back to trolling Notaglove now we are freinds again

Ps: Watch Os10 Beta 4 just dropped. Installing now. Im really moist
    You go steady with that moistness!

Do you wear 2 watches or just not bother with mechanicals? I got rid of my Apple Watch as just never wore proper watches anymore.

Miss the notifications and functionality.

Grand Master
    You go steady with that moistness!

Do you wear 2 watches or just not bother with mechanicals? I got rid of my Apple Watch as just never wore proper watches anymore.

Miss the notifications and functionality.
    Interesting question, on one hand (excuse the pun) I like the iwatch, wear it at work a lot as can glance in meetings but also find the alerts notify me of things I didn’t need to know but they become priorities when they are not.

I still always wear a mechanical watch and rotate between whatever takes my fancy or suits the occasion but I do often think I could live without more than just one watch. Where the iwatch is good is when you don’t want to take a phone with you like surfing or canoeing or on bike, then its a nice safety
    RIAC

Master
    Interesting question, on one hand (excuse the pun) I like the iwatch, wear it at work a lot as can glance in meetings but also find the alerts notify me of things I didn’t need to know but they become priorities when they are not.

I still always wear a mechanical watch and rotate between whatever takes my fancy or suits the occasion but I do often think I could live without more than just one watch. Where the iwatch is good is when you don’t want to take a phone with you like surfing or canoeing or on bike, then its a nice safety
    Yes I found the Apple Watch was just too convenient to grab & go, but was frustrated I couldn’t use any sleep tracking as always needed to be charged overnight as I was rubbish at doing it when at my desk etc.

Had only the most important notifications come through as otherwise it drove me insane, but liked being able to keep track on what was going on without looking at my phone.

Best part was being able to control music playback when streaming in my car, as in their infinite wisdom the manufacturer decided buttons on the wheel were not a useful addition

Grand Master
    Ironically I have the ultra that has long battery and all the gadgets but the HR pulse tracker doesnt work as I have tattoos and I never dive in it.

Infact the more I think about it I should sell it !
    RIAC

Master
    Ironically I have the ultra that has long battery and all the gadgets but the HR pulse tracker doesnt work as I have tattoos and I never dive in it.

Infact the more I think about it I should sell it !
    We have a weird hobby eh!

Love my Oura but miss notifications.

Ultra is certainly one I want to try next.

Grand Master
    We have a weird hobby eh!

Love my Oura but miss notifications.

Ultra is certainly one I want to try next.
    I would sell you mine but its got a dirty beta on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

I would sell you mine but its got a dirty beta on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would revert to a released version if paired with a phone that did not seek the betas. I might be wrong.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

I think it would revert to a released version if paired with a phone that did not seek the betas. I might be wrong.
    It does im having a laugh
    RIAC