closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barbie - who has seen it?!

Barbie - who has seen it?!

Amongst a predominantly male group, who is prepared to say that they’ve been to see Barbie at the cinema?
    By all accounts it is supposed to be very good, and seems to be marketed as well as a Star Wars release!
    So anyone who has been already, what did you think?

Grand Master
    No one is hoping to fall for this or admit it 😜
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would sooner stick pins in my eyes.

Haven't yet but I'm definitely going to.

A film to be boycotted by anyone called Ken

I saw it last night and can honestly say it’s superb. Funny, tongue in cheek, clever, elements of “brick in the wall” (the Kens singing scene) about it and generally an all round excellent movie. Word of warning though, it’s a 12A and not a kids movie at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I saw it last night and can honestly say it’s superb. Funny, tongue in cheek, clever, elements of “brick in the wall” (the Kens singing scene) about it and generally an all round excellent movie. Word of warning though, it’s a 12A and not a kids movie at all.
    This is what I was expecting to hear.
    Reviews appear to be excellent, and you wouldn’t expect them to rate it so high!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A film to be boycotted by anyone called Ken
    I think the big takeaway is that even people called Ken can have a chance with Margot Robbie. Be proud Ken, you too can stand toe to toe with the Ryans of this world.

I saw it and enjoyed it ,wife thought it was a bit woke which it definitely was but I wasn’t deep thinking it

Master
    Got tickets to take my 12 year old daughter and a couple of her friends next Wednesday. One of the mums has insisted on adult supervision so I suppose I'll be watching it.

Haven't seen it yet, but we are going this week. My 16-year old lad went to see it with his mates, and enjoyed it.
    Family trip to MI last week, Oppenheimer tomorrow, Barbie later on

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Got tickets to take my 12 year old daughter and a couple of her friends next Wednesday. One of the mums has insisted on adult supervision so I suppose I'll be watching it.
    Definitely, there’s bits that are definitely not for kids.

My missus took our 9 year old to it today and said it was fine

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

100 million budget and eye candy cast, im sure it is reasonably entertaining but it does look quite silly though.

I read they made 155 million at the cinemas this weekend so the fat cats at Warner Bros may plan to make a sequel or spin off, that is impressive profit so quickly after release.

No intention of ever watching it...on the silver screen or on the one at home mounted on the wall.

Never!

Master
    No, just no!!! I'll refrain from using expletives but it's a very firm no.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Best excuse to use when you can’t admit you want to see it. And with the lovely Margot Robbie?? Cannot say I blame you.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    No intention of ever watching it...on the silver screen or on the one at home mounted on the wall.

Never!
    I'm with you Tom, but I guess we are just unreconstructed males who've never had a reverie about a Barbie dream house.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    I saw it on Saturday. Some quite funny bits and plenty of eye candy. Loved the stunts. Can't wait to see part 2. Oh hang on.. no that was Mission impossible. It was my girls who went to Barbie. ;)

Master
    I'm definitely going - my wife came with me to see MI7 (thought she'd hate it, ended up quite enjoying it) so it's only fair to return the favour. I suspect that behind the hype it's a bit shit, but it's got Margot Robbie and it's under 2 hours, so I'm sure I'll cope.

There's quite a lot of insecure Beta energy in this thread.

Saw it yesterday. No idea what it’s about but she’s bloody gorgeous.

I might give it a go on TV, but it needs something special to get me to the cinema now and Barbie isn't ott, no matter how good the reviews.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Saw it yesterday. No idea what it’s about but she’s bloody gorgeous.
    You might want to check out 'The Wolf Of Wall Street' ;-)

Wife and teenage emo/goth wannabe 10yr old daughter went to see it this afternoon, both found it ok, but meh.

Have you booked your seat at Eden Court yet Andrew

Master
    Saw it last night and really enjoyed it, with the help of a bottle of wine. It has a lot of fun wondering why the real world is different to Barbie-land. Yes, ‘the patriarchy’ does come up, along with the challenges of being a perfect woman and the essential pointlessness of Ken, whose only job description appears to be ‘beach’. There’s nothing too serious though, the main thing is being in a candy floss pink world and enjoying Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling’s spot on doll acting, both are great. ‘Cock ring Ken’ even gets a tribute in the credits - something to Google!

I watched it with my wife a couple of nights ago. Having read a few reviews I wasn’t expecting a fluffy girly movie - maybe a bit of an art-house ironic/comedic romp. I actually found it’s anti- male stance pretty offensive - which surprised me as I’m not usually bothered by that kind of thing - but it wasn’t anywhere near as clever of funny as it thought it was. Apparently all men are bastards. Most of the audience
    Looked a bit bewildered as they left. Any girls under 20 looked as if it had bored them to tears. Great marketing, crap and offensive movie imho

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I watched it with my wife a couple of nights ago. Having read a few reviews I wasn’t expecting a fluffy girly movie - maybe a bit of an art-house ironic/comedic romp. I actually found it’s anti- male stance pretty offensive - which surprised me as I’m not usually bothered by that kind of thing - but it wasn’t anywhere near as clever of funny as it thought it was. Apparently all men are bastards. Most of the audience
    Looked a bit bewildered as they left. Any girls under 20 looked as if it had bored them to tears. Great marketing, crap and offensive movie imho

Whilst I don't fully agree with all the above sentiments, I came out thinking it was a poorly-made film that was 30 minutes too long. Films can be as ridiculous as you like, but their internal logic has to work - so why is it that the Barbies in Barbieland suddenly decide to become total airheads when Ken gets a sniff of male power? And can then be deprogrammed? There's no logic to that at all, even within this highly ridiculous Barbieworld.

Worse - I think I smiled perhaps three times and didn't properly laugh even once. The film makes some very fair points about the inequality of male and female power, but it's preachy and has all the subtlety of a mallet. Margot Robbie is, it has to be said, a total knockout, playing the part to perfection, but I left the film wondering who it was really aimed at. Certainly not men, nor young or even teen girls. The dressed-in-pink crowd at our screening (mainly women in their 30s) had been all bouncy before the film, but were very quiet and, it seemed, a bit deflated when leaving. My wife liked it more than I did but said that, being generous, it might scrape a 3/5 rating.

As RobDad says, neither as funny nor as clever (by a mile) as it likes to think is. A fabulous marketing campaign, but I think it'll be remembered as an emperor's-new-clothes film in years to come. I'd advise people to avoid it not because it's pink, girly or silly - I'm absolutely fine with that - but because it's just not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Whilst I don't fully agree with all the above sentiments, I came out thinking it was a poorly-made film that was 30 minutes too long. Films can be as ridiculous as you like, but their internal logic has to work - so why is it that the Barbies in Barbieland suddenly decide to become total airheads when Ken gets a sniff of male power? And can then be deprogrammed? There's no logic to that at all, even within this highly ridiculous Barbieworld.

Worse - I think I smiled perhaps three times and didn't properly laugh even once. The film makes some very fair points about the inequality of male and female power, but it's preachy and has all the subtlety of a mallet. Margot Robbie is, it has to be said, a total knockout, playing the part to perfection, but I left the film wondering who it was really aimed at. Certainly not men, nor young or even teen girls. The dressed-in-pink crowd at our screening (mainly women in their 30s) had been all bouncy before the film, but were very quiet and, it seemed, a bit deflated when leaving. My wife liked it more than I did but said that, being generous, it might scrape a 3/5 rating.

As RobDad says, neither as funny nor as clever (by a mile) as it likes to think is. A fabulous marketing campaign, but I think it'll be remembered as an emperor's-new-clothes film in years to come. I'd advise people to avoid it not because it's pink, girly or silly - I'm absolutely fine with that - but because it's just not very good.
    I think I must have been in a grumpy mood when I originally wrote how I’d found Barbie offensive - I think you’ve nailed it better than I did. Just a poorly written film with no internal logic. I’m genuinely surprised how well it’s doing at the box office, I can’t see it getting many repeat viewings. Like your experience. The 30 something pink lady audience left quietly looking bemused!

Saw it, but didn’t really go anywhere! A bit of a list opportunity really.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I completely agree with all of this. I thought it was hilarious.

A complete carry on on all fronts but I laughed out loud at the ridiculousness several times.

Some of the cameos and adult references are excellent.

Arrow

Well I've seen it now, don't have to see it again. Some hilarious one-liners and references but that was an entirely nonsensical plot shoehorned into a feminist battle-cry that had f**k-all to do with empowering young women to take on any real issues at all. I don't know what the lesson was supposed to be, I don't know if the writers did either, but hey, they ticked the diversity boxes of Fat Barbie, Wheelchair Barbie and Black Barbie.

An enjoyable-enough bit of fluff if you take it as just a kids' comedy with some adult humour sprinkled in to stop parents from falling asleep. If you think your young daughters are going to be inspired to shake up the world, you'd be better off showing them A Handmaid's Tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Have you booked your seat at Eden Court yet Andrew
    I better start saving my pennies

Always enjoyed the big screen experience there

I’ve just been to see Barbie. Clever, imaginative, a great cast. Slightly too long and teetered on the brink of becoming a rabid feminist rant in a couple of places, but overall quite good. I was impressed that Mattel green lit this - as there was definitely risk involved but a very smart commercial move.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Interesting fact - Barbie has never been pregnant because Ken comes in a different box.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Interesting fact - Barbie has never been pregnant because Ken comes in a different box.
    Actually your wrong I watched the film and it has a pregnant Barbie that was discontinued