closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just dropped my watch - worrying rattle and movement

Just dropped my watch - worrying rattle and movement

I have accidentally dropped my DA38, and while it still functions, something has come loose and can be felt and heard rattling around inside the case. It feels and sounds like a small ball bearing would sound and feel.

Any educated guesses as to what it might be? Or likely repair costs?

Thanks

Grand Master
    Most likely the rotor has dislodged,
    RIAC

Message walkerwek58 he'll sort you out (and his work is excellent by the way)

I recall dropping a Submariner onto a marble floor, and expecting the worst!
    Not a mark on it, and the timekeeping remained exactly the same.

Hopefully yours is equally insignificant.

Thanks guys. I’ll message Paul.

Grand Master
    More likely to be one of the screws that hold the movement into the movement ring that’s come loose and detached.

Watch is heading my way so I’ll find out.

Grand Master
    Watch arrived with me today, here's what I found when I opened it up:

Clearly, the rotor has separated from the centre bearing, it's a pressed fit and I`ve never seen one come apart before following impact. The centre bearing can be replaced when worn, it's a straightforward job to press it out and press in a replacement using a press tool or staking set, but they're usually a tight fit. The bearing and rotor are secured by the screw in the middle, I`ve seen these come loose before and eventually cause the whole rotor / bearing assembly to separate from the movement, but that occurs over a period of time and is usually preceded by a warning rattle as the rotor contacts the caseback.

Thankfully this is a straightforward fix, no other damage has occurred and the hairspring hasn`t distorted, I`ve had the balance out to check it and all looks well.

Are those not honking great cracks around 5 and 6 oclock? (edge of inner case)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Are those not honking great cracks around 5 and 6 oclock? (edge of inner case)
    No!

The movement sits inside the movement ring, secured by two screws:

The movement ring can then be removed, leaving the movement inside the case:

The movement can then be separated from the case and the dial and hands removed. The picture above shows the underside of the dial after removal of the movement ring. The little clamps holding the dial feet are now visible and can be accessed.

After thoroughly testing the watch I found no issues associated with the impact damage, but the amplitude wasn`t great and there was evidence of sticky dried-up lubricant. I`ve offered to service the watch and the owner's agreed, so the whole thing will be getting stripped down.

Here's one of my own that is currently being serviced, having no watch jobs on I decided to give this some TLC, the movement parts are stripped, cleaned and ready to build. I completely refinished the case, bezel and bracelet a couple of weeks ago, movement hasn`t been serviced for 11 years so it was ready for attention, it was the first ETA 2892 (Omega 1120) I worked on.

url upload image

The Damasko will be next in the queue, probably get sorted over the weekend. Very rare that I run out of watch jobs, that's when I sort my own stuff out, but I can guarantee if I strip one of mine down an unexpected job will come in!

Superb. Thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    No!

The movement sits inside the movement ring, secured by two screws:

The movement ring can then be removed, leaving the movement inside the case:

!
    You've got it open, so you will be correct, but you have to admit - just to the left of the *bars script - it does look in the photo, like a crack/split.