timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Datejust 41 Mint Green 126334 Review

Grand Master

Rolex Datejust 41 Mint Green 126334 Review

My thoughts and ramblings of the DJ 41 MG

On The Wrist

Straight out of the coffin it was a perfect first! This surprised me as I have a 7.25” Wrist and the DateJust seems to be sized to just a smidge over that without the comfort link open, I imagine that with the comfort link open and a slide of the clasp internals a few notches it will be closer to 8” which is standard ish on Sports Models. It fits like a glove, that’s the joy of years of wearing Oyster bracelets they just always feel like an old friend.

I had originally considered the datejust on a jubilee, the debate will forever rage on but I think being sensible it is fair to say that actually having the choice of both allows you to adapt the watch to your lifestyle and desire, the jubilee is more dressy, some say more comfortable yet I find it feels wrong on me, hard to explain but sort of light and flimsy but it certainly is not. As I am in jeans and t shirts more than suits and ties the Oyster was a far better option and I feel it directs the eye towards the dial more whereas the jubilee makes the ‘whole’ watch a bling thing which isn’t a bit of me, I think the GMT is the only watch I would have on a jubilee personally.

Dial

It’s all about the dial. I had previously had a Slate dial which I passed to a friend on the understanding he would always return it to me and that was the only Datejust I would have previously considered but then along comes the Mint Green and it is fantastic, not only quintessentially Rolex as Green is the Trademark but a lovely burst and subtle at the same time. I have always wanted Rolex to produce a deep red/burgundy/maroon dial but doubt they will, however if they did it would be top of my list if they got the hue and saturation right.

We haven’t mentioned the Blue that is often raved about, I place it 3rd or 4th in the datejust 41mm range behind Slate Grey and possibly the Wimbledon but when the same dial is placed in a Sky-Dweller then it is definitely No 1 in blue with a green a close second. Weird how the additions on a dial can change its look and feel.

Dial is clean and clear with 5 min written text and the now standard inner Renault engraved ‘Rolex Rolex Rolex’ and perfectly aligned with the minute markers (Usually an easy way to spot a fake). If I was a betting man I would suggest we may see a slight change in dial colour for the Mint Green, maybe a shade darker but this is pure speculation based on customer comments at certain levels!

Bracelet

Oyster - The best all rounder, strong, comfortable and easily adjustable. Polished Center links for added bling which compliment the fluted bezel perfectly, the brushed polished contrast across the watch are balanced and harmonise to make each one pop along with the dial Center stage.

Movement

I wont pretend to ever fully understand a movement but think we can agree that the 3235 is an improvement over the previous fantastic 3135, that said there were reported problems on release! This is nothing new as historically movements have been problematic when placed in differing cases, when I was in the trade full time we had forever problems with 26mm and 29mm Datejust as the case size seemed to influence the movement and those early reported problems with the 3235 reported on the internet (we all know they only report the 2 that don’t work rather the the 2000 that do) now appear to be over so looks like someone has tweaked the production line in Geneva.

Conclusion

Less is more, The datejust does not need to try to hard to be superb, understated class and a splash of special colour on the dial make this my No 1 choice in the DJ range, add the standard 5 year warranty and comfort of reliable and rigid customer service standards and you have to raise a glass to a watch that hasn’t broken the mould but it has certainly iced the cake.

Thanks for Reading
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 22nd July 2023 at 20:06.
    RIAC

Lovely watch and the dial colour is amazing.

My understanding is the issues are still on going with the calibre 3235 movement and the problems start around 1 or 2 years into ownership.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

My understanding is the issues are still on going with the calibre 3235 movement and the problems start around 1 or 2 years into ownership.
    I guess the beauty of a 5 year warranty prevents any worry and as I said the internet reports the 2 not the 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Thanks for the write up, interesting!

Master
    Lovely watch! Saw it and tried it on at Harrods back when lists were crazy. The salesman attending me said it’s more popular than the blue one - and I don’t blame him as it looks stunning. Wife hinted she’d definitely wear a 41mm one but fortunately at the time the salesman genuinely said sorry we’re not adding anyone to the register of interest list!

Master
    This would be my choice of datejust for sure. Something about green works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wow not many of those around. Looks great.
    Hope you enjoy it.

Looks great. Tried one on recently and really surprised by how nice it was but don't want to commit before seeing the fluted motif dial before committing.

Did anyone else scroll back up thinking they missed the price? Thought it was SC at first.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

It is.

But the reports of issues with the calibre are pretty irrelevant in the real world and even more so with a cast iron Rolex warranty.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Did anyone else scroll back up thinking they missed the price? Thought it was SC at first.
    No its one of those old skool enthusiastic and informative watch posts that we used to have before brexit, bitcoin, bitching, Ukraine, Tories, slagging sales corner posts. A truly rare beast.

PS Nice sky
    RIAC

Master
    I must admit I thought it was SC too!
    Was looking for the price and then scrolled up to realise we are in WT.

(First dibs please!)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I must admit I thought it was SC too!
    Was looking for the price and then scrolled up to realise we are in WT.

(First dibs please!)
    Be a forever wait
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    No its one of those old skool enthusiastic and informative watch posts that we used to have before brexit, bitcoin, bitching, Ukraine, Tories, slagging sales corner posts. A truly rare beast.

PS Nice sky
    That's true, classic TZ.

What made you go for the plain dial Vs fluted motif? I think on blue the fluted motif is really interesting but on green plain might be nicer. £1,850 for the fluted bezel is a bit spicy.

SkyDweller is to DateJust what DSSD is to Submariner.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That's true, classic TZ.

What made you go for the plain dial Vs fluted motif? I think on blue the fluted motif is really interesting but on green plain might be nicer. £1,850 for the fluted bezel is a bit spicy.

SkyDweller is to DateJust what DSSD is to Submariner.
    Personally I think plain bezel is very bland indeed, the green motif is interesting but reminds me of the more feminine florals they make and for me it is Less is More allowing the green to pop out, it doesn’t need anymore complexity but if you had the motif I am sure it would be a pleasure to enjoy.

Im still very surprised they made the SkyDweller is Steel as I thought they would keep it exclusive to precious metals like Day Dates but its made it more accessible to some. Now if Day Dates were steel the skydweller wouldnt get a look in from me
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 22nd July 2023 at 20:00.
    RIAC

Im still very surprised they made the SkyDweller is Steel as I thought they would keep it exclusive to precious metals like Day Dates but its made it more accessible to some. Now if Day Dates were steel the skydweller wouldnt get a look in from me
    Agree, if I could afford a DD (and they had a nice unique dial for the WG) I would have got that instead. Not sure if the SkyDweller is a fork in the road and that's what killed the SD43 for me - would rather a sub or a D-Blue - so we'll see if it lasts or not.

I saw a display model at the AD and it is a fabulous watch. It is a difficult decision between jubilee and oyster but definitely the fluted bezel. The blue is fantastic also but I think this just beats it marginally.

Great review.

I thought the mint green in the 36mm DateJust was wonderful, although for me the normal non-motif blue just shades it. I’m more suited to the combination of 36mm, fluted, Jubilee, but that is a lovely thing.

David

I love it, but I would have to have the jubilee with that bezel.

Either way it would make a great choice as an only watch - if there only had to be one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Big fan of oyster with fluted. Think smooth goes well with jubilee

Craftsman
    Great review and mostly mirrors my thoughts.

Dial wise, I feel the plain dials are too simple and it’s the blue fluted that is on my wish list above the green.

Really nice watch and a more subtle green. Personally speaking in that category and at that price point I'd go for the Aqua Terra Shades 38mm instead but the fluted bezel on oyster is a nice combo and not available on the Omega.

Lovely colour (makes me think of sage not mint), it would be oyster for me too. I'll return to Rolex once they sort out the 32xx issues...
    [Yeah, I scrolled back for the price too, then saw it was in WT.]

Thanks for the review.

Good review mate. Lovely watch.

Lovely. I still think blue/fluted/jubilee is the best combo but I’d happily own both.

Craftsman
    Such a good review and a watch I’d certainly consider should the option arise.

Master
    Be a forever wait
    Nice to know you bonded with it immediately. Sometimes the way with watches…the thrill is often in the chase but glad you have found your forever watch. Maybe an exit watch even.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Nice to know you bonded with it immediately. Sometimes the way with watches…the thrill is often in the chase but glad you have found your forever watch. Maybe an exit watch even.
    Thanks. Just think its part of a journey and tastes maturing. There was no chase just liked it and got it and suits where I am in life right now. After years of Steel Sports Im enjoying the more mature pieces. That said I love the Viper too and wearing an iwatch so very diverse.
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the review Kerry. I enjoyed that. I did have my heart set on a blue 36mm - but the mint green is now in my sights, for my 6 3/4” wrist I think the 41mm is maybe just about too much crystal for me. I still have the Hulk you sold me many years ago (it seems). I wonder how the green compares? Lovely watch.

All the best. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thanks for the review Kerry. I enjoyed that. I did have my heart set on a blue 36mm - but the mint green is now in my sights, for my 6 3/4” wrist I think the 41mm is maybe just about too much crystal for me. I still have the Hulk you sold me many years ago (it seems). I wonder how the green compares? Lovely watch.

All the best. Martyn.
    Green is totally different Martyn and 36mm sounds like a better size for you
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Green is totally different Martyn and 36mm sounds like a better size for you
    Thank you. Mint green may well be my next “wantobuy”. Not much greenery to look at in Portugal - more like scorched earth, apart from the golf courses.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely. I still think blue/fluted/jubilee is the best combo but I’d happily own both.
    I should be able to work this out, but remind me Tony, is this a 36 or 41(39.5)? Thanks

Master
    Interesting review Kerry, and the green dial certainly is striking.
    My interest in all things watchy has waned somewhat recently, and in an attempt to rekindle I was thinking about a datejust, a throwback to my first Rolex many years ago. Made my way through the configurator, the best outcome for me being the white dial with Romans, fluted bezel on jubilee. Probably a bit bland for some, but would make a great everyday smart/ casual watch IMHO.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Interesting review Kerry, and the green dial certainly is striking.
    My interest in all things watchy has waned somewhat recently, and in an attempt to rekindle I was thinking about a datejust, a throwback to my first Rolex many years ago. Made my way through the configurator, the best outcome for me being the white dial with Romans, fluted bezel on jubilee. Probably a bit bland for some, but would make a great everyday smart/ casual watch IMHO.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    I agree, what works for you is what truly matters, if we had no internet, no hype then that’s what you would chose and that’s the lesson
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I should be able to work this out, but remind me Tony, is this a 36 or 41(39.5)? Thanks
    It's the 41mm (that isn't), Colin.

Stunning looking watch. Stupid question (maybe) but does the fiuted bezel make it wear slightly smaller than the plain bezel? I've always imagined it would. I ask because I think the 41 might wear too large on me, but the 36 would be too small.

And apropos of nothing, I ordered some Adidas Tobacco trabs in a very similar colour this weekend:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Stunning looking watch. Stupid question (maybe) but does the fiuted bezel make it wear slightly smaller than the plain bezel? I've always imagined it would. I ask because I think the 41 might wear too large on me, but the 36 would be too small.

And apropos of nothing, I ordered some Adidas Tobacco trabs in a very similar colour this weekend:

Cool Foot Furniture, big fan
    RIAC

Master
    I think it is the best dj out there in the nicest looking colour. Beautiful!

It's the 41mm (that isn't), Colin.
    Thanks, Tony. Gives me hope that the DJ41 might actually be a watch I can pull off. Thinking of the Wimbledon, fluted with oyster. Need to try one on!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Kerry, I like the mint dial DJ's, they play with the light really nicely.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I would agree on all points except that a DJ has got to be in 36mm imv. The classic understated original size.

Completely biased of course as this is exactly what i bought. The nicest thing in the current Rolex range for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    I would agree on all points except that a DJ has got to be in 36mm imv. The classic understated original size.

Completely biased of course as this is exactly what i bought. The nicest thing in the current Rolex range for me.
    The size has to be proportional to the wrist and 36mm will suit some but be lost on others. Havjng a choice is great rather than being constrained allowing everyone to enjoy the DJ which is a luxury not afforded to many other models in the range.

RIAC

The size has to be proportional to the wrist and 36mm will suit some but be lost on others. Havjng a choice is great rather than being constrained allowing everyone to enjoy the DJ which is a luxury not afforded to many other models in the range.

Also, worth noting, for the umpteenth time, that the 41mm actually measures 39.5mm. I think a lot of people simply can’t get past the nomenclature.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Also, worth noting, for the umpteenth time, that the 41mm actually measures 39.5mm. I think a lot of people simply can’t get past the nomenclature.
    True, however the slim bezel and more dial real estate serves to make it look larger than 39.5mm suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    True, however the slim bezel and more dial real estate serves to make it look larger than 39.5mm suggests.
    But I assume no larger than a 40mm Explorer and essentially the same size as the 39mm Explorer (the one I do own)? I've never tried a DJ.

[To be fair Tony, the 39.5mm wasn't spelled out on this thread, and most aren't interested in Rolex minutiae.]

Blog Entries
    The DJ41 is a great watch. I had a TT one with champagne dial on a jubilee and really enjoyed wearing it. I know the TT isn't everyones cup of tea but I felt it just worked. The only drawback for me was gold hands against a champagne dial wasn't best for readability. I think if I'd had a different dial colour I'd still have the watch, TT and jubilee or steel and oyster.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    But I assume no larger than a 40mm Explorer and essentially the same size as the 39mm Explorer (the one I do own)? I've never tried a DJ.

[To be fair Tony, the 39.5mm wasn't spelled out on this thread, and most aren't interested in Rolex minutiae.]
    I dont know, I'm not into explorers so never owned one to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I dont know, I'm not into explorers so never owned one to compare.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=100thmonkey;6247880]My thoughts and ramblings of the DJ 41 MG

Great read and really is a lovey shade of green. Hopefully will be able to add one soon myself, if prices simmer down a little more, but not holding breath

Great write up and photos. Mint dial looks great