closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EuroTunnel delayed by Tesla.

Master
    Blog Entries

EuroTunnel delayed by Tesla.

We were an hour delayed after the train arrived back in the UK last night.

The staff member told us there was a car doing a software update ahead that would not start.

My wife said, “I bet that’s a Tesla” …

Sure enough when we got off the train an hour late there was a 23 plate Tesla on the back of the tow truck.

Can that be true that the car was disabled due to a software update?

My Volvo EV announced a software update recently, but the display screen advised I could not drive it during the update, and hence I had the option to reject and delay for a more convenient time.

I went ahead with it because it was sat outside my house and I had no plans to drive anywhere.

Master
    But they are saving the planet, we must indulge them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My Volvo EV announced a software update recently, but the display screen advised I could not drive it during the update, and hence I had the option to reject and delay for a more convenient time.

I went ahead with it because it was sat outside my house and I had no plans to drive anywhere.
    I’m wondering if a bored driver accepted a software update at an inappropriate time … either way they delayed a lot of people.

How long did your update take?

Master
    I was caught out like that but fortunately I was parked up out of the way whilst getting a sandwich for lunch.
    If I'd been in a less convenient place for the 20 minutes it took I'd have been seriously embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

The staff member told us there was a car doing a software update ahead that would not start.

My wife said, “I bet that’s a Tesla” …

Sure enough when we got off the train an hour late there was a 23 plate Tesla on the back of the tow truck.

Yes they disable the car during a software update but the driver has to manually select the update to be done at that time (else it does it at 2am) so the Tesla driver is an idiotic moron as the whole situation was entirely avoidable.

Driving home from Somerset today in the pouring rain, M5 crowded with very poor visibility. Tesla drivers tailgating in the fast lane actually outnumbering the BMW and audi contingent. Are they the new rep mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Driving home from Somerset today in the pouring rain, M5 crowded with very poor visibility. Tesla drivers tailgating in the fast lane actually outnumbering the BMW and audi contingent. Are they the new rep mobile?
    Yep, they also hog the shared charging spots at work, swapping amongst themselves all day instead of sharing vacant spots on the EV group chat. We call them the Tesla Mafia.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I’m wondering if a bored driver accepted a software update at an inappropriate time … either way they delayed a lot of people.

How long did your update take?
    It said 90 minutes, but seemed to actually take a lot less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yep, they also hog the shared charging spots at work, swapping amongst themselves all day instead of sharing vacant spots on the EV group chat. We call them the Tesla Mafia.
    That sucks. Tesla Morons going by what I saw today.

Probably on autopilot so not worried about rain and visibility as the car takes care of that but yep Tesla drivers (particularly Model 3 drivers) are the new road morons.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Probably on autopilot so not worried about rain and visibility as the car takes care of that but yep Tesla drivers (particularly Model 3 drivers) are the new road morons.
    Very trusting of them, surprised the dense spray from the cars they were tailgating wasn't erroneously picked up by proximity sensors as a solid object they were that close. Also assume the two I saw today who slammed their brakes on in the fast lane to then cut dangerously through the other two lanes because their exit had sneaked up on them were not on autopilot? Road morons indeed.

That sucks. Tesla Morons going by what I saw today.
    Fortunately they only tend to come into the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays And Thursdays - which happily results in a suitable acronym.

Fortunately they only tend to come into the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays And Thursdays - which happily results in a suitable acronym.
    Lol, and on Thursdays you can give them the old "see you next Tuesday".

Master

My wife said, I bet thats a Tesla

Yes. Someone I work with has Renault Zoe that wouldn't start. He was sent a link by the dealer and he downloaded the file to a USB which he inserted into the car. Fixed the issue. That's the world we will be living in. BAM famously have their subscription service. Want your heated seats? You pay monthly. Don't pay the heat gets turned off by the software

Master
    Very trusting of them, surprised the dense spray from the cars they were tailgating wasn't erroneously picked up by proximity sensors as a solid object they were that close. Also assume the two I saw today who slammed their brakes on in the fast lane to then cut dangerously through the other two lanes because their exit had sneaked up on them were not on autopilot? Road morons indeed.
    Im not sure how its possible to tailgate in a Tesla whilst using lane assist or autopilot as even the minimum distance you can set is quite a big gap to the car in front.

More likely dimwit drivers on manual

On our ID.4 the car nags me via the augmented reality hud that Im too close to the car in front by showing a red line on the car in fronts rear bumper, even if I havent got travel assist switched on.

Maybe Tesla will add a tailgate assist feature in a future software update, and license it to Audi and BMW drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Im not sure how its possible to tailgate in a Tesla whilst using lane assist or autopilot as even the minimum distance you can set is quite a big gap to the car in front.
    Makes sense.

More likely dimwit drivers on manual

On our ID.4 the car nags me via the augmented reality hud that Im too close to the car in front by showing a red line on the car in fronts rear bumper, even if I havent got travel assist switched on.

Maybe Tesla will add a tailgate assist feature in a future software update, and license it to Audi and BMW drivers?
    You can override the proximity behind the car in front with the accelerator whilst still maintaining autosteer.

In fact one of my bugbears on the motorway is when autopilot is on and maintains a safe gap behind the car in front then some fool thinks that means he can position himself in that gap, meaning the car creates a new safe gap, another moron situates himself in that gap and so on. A safe gap at 70 mph isn't 1.5 car lengths yet many people seem to think it is!

In fact one of my bugbears on the motorway is when autopilot is on and maintains a safe gap behind the car in front then some fool thinks that means he can position himself in that gap, meaning the car creates a new safe gap, another moron situates himself in that gap and so on. A safe gap at 70 mph isn't 1.5 car lengths yet many people seem to think it is!
    What happens if the car behind is closer than a safe gap and doesn't slow to match your Tesla, will your car still slow when a moron inserts themselves in the front gap? I'm interested (I don't yet have an EV).

Master
    Blog Entries
    They have been a company car of choice for some time, unless you can get a taycan or etron.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes they disable the car during a software update but the driver has to manually select the update to be done at that time (else it does it at 2am) so the Tesla driver is an idiotic moron as the whole situation was entirely avoidable.
    I figured that may be the case. Morons held up the whole train.

When we finally got off it was on the back of the tow truck still, so it must be a long process.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    What happens if the car behind is closer than a safe gap and doesn't slow to match your Tesla, will your car still slow when a moron inserts themselves in the front gap? I'm interested (I don't yet have an EV).
    No it detects on both ends (as well as to the sides) and often you'll get a warning noise but it won't slow. Fairly frequent occurrence on the M25!

^ Thanks. (o;

Master
    You can override the proximity behind the car in front with the accelerator whilst still maintaining autosteer.

I know, we have a Tesla too, but what I meant was unless the nut behind the wheel is intervening like pressing the accelerator then the car will maintain the safe gap on autopilot or auto steer etc.

But yes, Im astonished by how close people drive on the motorway, whatever the weather.

Master

When we finally got off it was on the back of the tow truck still, so it must be a long process.
    The software updates vary in length, some are just a few mins, the bigger and rarer updates can be much longer.

As others have said though, you get fair warning and the option to not update. I suspect the Tesla driver thought once boarded on the train would be a good time to start a 20 min update or something, not accounting for the fact they were about to go into a tunnel for 30 mins where the cars network connection would be lost

To be fair - someone losing their key to an ICE vehicle could have caused similar problems.

Master
    23 plate, maybe first time they had come across this and didn't quite know what they were doing!

They would have had a warning that they accepted. So yes, moron when about to board a ferry. Or - new to the tech and didn't know what they were doing.

I have a colleague who always accepts the Windows upgrade prompt five minutes before an important online meeting and then complains about how long it's taking.

Master
    Do Teslas light up the brake lights when they slow due to slowing traffic front?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Do Teslas light up the brake lights when they slow due to slowing traffic front?
    I expect so. I borrowed an ID3 and I pretty much didn't use the brake pedal at all as the engine braking was remarkable. The brake lights illuminated when the car was slowing (advised by my pal in the car behind). Quite clever really.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Yes, if regeneration caused by a vehicle its following causes the car to slow as if it were braking, then brake lights come on, even if you dont touch the brakes.

Its common to all EVs, and brake lights come on even on lifting of your right foot for a bend if the retardation is akin to that youd get braking.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    23 plate, maybe first time they had come across this and didn't quite know what they were doing!

They would have had a warning that they accepted. So yes, moron when about to board a ferry. Or - new to the tech and didn't know what they were doing.
    Thing is they are a double moron because the Tesla software updates follow the process of

1. Update download. This can happen when you are driving via mobile hotspot or when you are parked via wifi. It just downloads the software it doesn't apply the update yet.

2. Once update has downloaded you get no notification until the car has parked.

3. Once Tesla has been parked a very large and visible prompt message on the touchpad asks you if you want to apply the update immediately and that the update takes around 25 mins to apply.

4. If you accept to apply the update immediately you get a 2 minute countdown timer where you can postpone it at any time

5. If you don't accept to apply the update immediately you can select what time to apply it

6. This is the most important bit. If you do nothing I.e. you ignore the message and exit the car it will default to applying the update at 12.30 am

All of the above can be done via the Tesla app also

So basically this guy would have downloaded the update via wifi hotspotting on his phone. He would have then manually selected to apply the update NOW. There would have been a warning that it would take 25 minutes and that he wouldn't be able to operate the vehicle. He also would have been given a 2 minute countdown timer during which he could have stopped the update at any time. But he didn't. He's a c*ck.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 22nd July 2023 at 19:02.

Master
    Thing is they are a double moron because the Tesla software updates follow the process of

1. Update download. This can happen when you are driving via mobile hotspot or when you are parked via wifi. It just downloads the software it doesn't apply the update yet.

3. Once Tesla has been parked a very large and visible prompt message on the touchpad asks you if you want to apply the update immediately and that the update takes around 25 mins to apply.

4. If you accept to apply the update immediately you get a 2 minute countdown timer where you can postpone it at any time

5. If you don't accept to apply the update immediately you can select what time to apply it

6. This is the most important bit. If you do nothing I.e. you ignore the message and exit the car it will default to applying the update at 12.30 am

So basically this guy would have downloaded the update via wifi hotspotting on his phone. He would have then manually selected to apply the update NOW. There would have been a warning that it would take 25 minutes and that he wouldn't be able to operate the vehicle. He also would have been given a 2 minute countdown timer during which he could have stopped the update at any time. But he didn't. He's a c*ck.
    Hate to say this. Purposely didnt mention it earlier.
    But when you first got yours you did have a big moan about an update going on meaning you couldnt drive it and you needed to for an important reason. As if it was the cars fault and not yours.

I think it happens and sometimes people just click whatever without reading.

I dont have Raffes skills so obviously wont go back and find the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Hate to say this. Purposely didnt mention it earlier.
    But when you first got yours you did have a big moan about an update going on meaning you couldnt drive it and you needed to for an important reason. As if it was the cars fault and not yours.

I think it happens and sometimes people just click whatever without reading.

I dont have Raffes skills so obviously wont go back and find the post.
    Yep this happened when I needed the car to go to hospital. Just ironic that my son got sick fast just when I started updating the car. Now I just leave it to 12.30 am default

Master
    Yep this happened when I needed the car to go to hospital. Just ironic that my son got sick fast just when I started updating the car. Now I just leave it to 12.30 am default
    Ah I see.
    Bad luck then. I guess theres never a time to do it when you know one definitely doesnt need a car. We could all be in that situation.

Master
    Blog Entries

When we drove past the stranded Tesla there was no sign of the driver, maybe hed been lynched by the cars immediately behind him

Mind, the crossing takes 35 minutes so there should have been enough time
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Mind, the crossing takes 35 minutes so there should have been enough time
    I've had '25 minute updates' take an hour before to be fair.

My wife said, I bet thats a Tesla

That is possible, but you have to elect to do a software update, can't be in the car and are warned it might take 50 minutes so the driver created the problem not the car. Only possibility would be if on an overnight crossing but even then you are told the car is planning to update via the screen when you park the car so could easily postpone or go ahead.

Does the Chunnel now have mobile reception?

EuroTunnel delayed by Tesla.

Its had mobile reception for a few years

Master
    If it was on a flat bed its entirely possible the car had just broken down, like thousands of cars do every day.

I remember being slightly delayed getting off the train because a camper van a few vehicles in front wouldnt start, sometimes stuff just happens.

If it was on a flat bed it’s entirely possible the car had just ‘broken down’, like thousands of cars do every day.

I remember being slightly delayed getting off the train because a camper van a few vehicles in front wouldn’t start, sometimes stuff just happens.
    But, but, but when it's a car of the future, expensive at that, how can it ''just'' break down, jeez.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd July 2023 at 08:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it was on a flat bed its entirely possible the car had just broken down, like thousands of cars do every day.
    The EuroTunnel guy told me it was a software update the exasperation in his voice gave me the impression it wasnt the first time either .

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    But, but, but when it's a car of the future, expensive at that, how can it ''just'' break down, jeez.
    Tesla and build quality are often mentioned in the same sentence. But not in a good way.

We were an hour delayed after the train arrived back in the UK last night.......
    Was the delay just after 12:30am when the automatic update would have kicked in?

Tesla and build quality are often mentioned in the same sentence. But not in a good way.
    Wacky huh. Saw a really ugly one just a day or two ago, dunno the models but it was one with what looks like it's got a big domed forehead due to the bulbous roof line/ height, minging looking thing...imagine owning an expensive, ugly car that breaks down more than some others, and the bloke who makes them is a total throbber...crazy.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd July 2023 at 09:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Was the delay just after 12:30am when the automatic update would have kicked in?
    No, the train arrived about 7pm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I blame Euro tunnel they should have signs up saying.

"Dont update your cars info until you get home"

The modern world eh not everything's an improvement,I had no idea this was a thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I blame Euro tunnel they should have signs up saying.

"Dont update your cars info until you get home"

The modern world eh not everything's an improvement,I had no idea this was a thing.
    I didnt realise this was an issue either but I dont think it was EuroTunnels fault. That sits squarely with the muppet that thought it a good idea to do a disabling update with flakey internet connection with 100s (?) odd cars stuck behind you.