closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch straps for SCUBA diving?

Watch straps for SCUBA diving?

Afternoon all,

Recently returned from a diving trip and found using a nylon NATO rather frustrating due to the way it becomes less snug against the suit's wrist when compressed at depth.

I use bungees on my dive computer but can't see a way to do this on my watch (a Seiko solar diver) without using very very thin bungee, sub 1mm. Are there specific straps that can remain snug at depth or is it just a case of really really overtightening the NATO at the surface? Ideally they also have the security of a NATO in that one spring bar failure won't lose the watch.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hugh
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 19th July 2023 at 15:52.

Master
    I've used rubber NATOs in the past if its over a dry suit.
    Just a wetsuit I've never had a problem with a standard strap - do it up a bit tighter :)

Elastic strap like EO or Nick Mankey?

Craftsman
    My dive watches have a ribbed rubber strap that you stretch when putting on at the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Afternoon all,

Recently returned from a diving trip and found using a nylon NATO rather frustrating due to the way it becomes less snug against the suit's wrist when compressed at depth.

I use bungees on my dive computer but can't see a way to do this on my watch (a Seiko solar diver) without using very very thin bungee, sub 1mm. Are there specific straps that can remain snug at depth or is it just a case of really really overtightening the NATO at the surface? Ideally they also have the security of a NATO in that one spring bar failure won't lose the watch.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hugh
    You haven't said to what depth you were diving or whether it was wet or dry suit. However, a 5mm neoprene wet suit will compress to 2.5mm at 10m and down to 1.7mm at 20m. I usually wear my watch against my wrist and under the wetsuit sleeve, either on or below the thinner sleeve seal. Even if worn over the sleeve (for photographing) it's not been a problem I've noticed and I've never found the need to really really overtighten a strap prior to a dive, but then I'm not overly concerned about tightness on the wrist.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 19th July 2023 at 16:48.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

As Ralphy says, depends on what type of suit you're wearing, but I dive with mine over the silicone seals on my drysuit without any adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    I've used rubber NATOs in the past if its over a dry suit.
    Just a wetsuit I've never had a problem with a standard strap - do it up a bit tighter :)
    Is the rubber of your NATO stretchy? I have a Zuludiver Bonetto Centurini rubber one but it's too short to fit over any of my suits!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Elastic strap like EO or Nick Mankey?
    I have an EO but it doesn't seem secure at all due to how the hook attaches to the spring bars. But now you've prompted me, I think this may be easily remedied..! Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    My dive watches have a ribbed rubber strap that you stretch when putting on at the surface.
    Do you have a link to something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You haven't said to what depth you were diving or whether it was wet or dry suit. However, a 5mm neoprene wet suit will compress to 2.5mm at 10m and down to 1.7mm at 20m. I usually wear my watch against my wrist and under the wetsuit sleeve, either on or below the thinner sleeve seal. Even if worn over the sleeve (for photographing) it's not been a problem I've noticed and I've never found the need to really really overtighten a strap prior to a dive, but then I'm not overly concerned about tightness on the wrist.

R
    Lovely photo Ralphy!

Definite issue with my 5 mm wetsuit, going to max 20 m. At 10 m it's noticeably loose too, as expected.

I did try it direct on my skin after the cuff, but soon noticed the reason for watches with a crown at anywhere other than 3 o'clock!

Drysuit mostly limited by the length of my NATOs, but Gunner's suggestion of an EO has got me thinking I can easily modify that to be more secure for both dry and wet suit diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    As Ralphy says, depends on what type of suit you're wearing, but I dive with mine over the silicone seals on my drysuit without any adjustment.

Hope your recent trip was enjoyable?

I'd assumed putting anything on the wrist seals was a no go to give them as much flexibility as possible to keep a seal, but I'll give it a try next time.

Master
    Why would you want to wear a watch on the side of your divecomputer? The divepc tells time. But more importantly a watch is another thing that can be of nuisence.

Master
    Always handy for a backup/bottom/swim timer.

And the coolness factor cant be ignored. Which is the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Why would you want to wear a watch on the side of your divecomputer? The divepc tells time. But more importantly a watch is another thing that can be of nuisence.
    Redundancy. And once my strap issue is resolved (which seems to be resolved for those in this thread anyway), there is no nuisance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Always handy for a backup/bottom/swim timer.

And the coolness factor cant be ignored. Which is the most important.
    Yes on all fronts!

Dive watch always handy for wearing on the boat if not diving. Timing when other divers start / finish, slack water, can we make it home before the pub closes etc.

Grand Master
    I either dive with the OEM rubber strap or the OEM bracelet, never had a problem and they're comfortable. Mind you, I only ever wear a 2.5mm shortie whether diving in the UK, Sweden or anywhere else (although I only dive to a maximum of 40m) .. anything else is just way too warm ..
    /vince ..

You’d hate my heated undersuit then 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR View Post
    I either dive with the OEM rubber strap or the OEM bracelet, never had a problem and they're comfortable. Mind you, I only ever wear a 2.5mm shortie whether diving in the UK, Sweden or anywhere else (although I only dive to a maximum of 40m) .. anything else is just way too warm ..
    Impressive tolerance! Recent trip with 12 of us, all in 5mm SCUBA wetsuits, 17°C water at 20 m, most could not tolerate it longer than 15 minutes before wanting to ascend to the warmer shallows. No gloves or hoods mind you, and no current to contend with so very little exertion.

Doing 2.5 mm in that climate, let alone UK waters...I cannot imagine ever even trying it!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    You’d hate my heated undersuit then 藍
    I mostly certainly would! I'm not a fan of heating in any shape or form ..

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Impressive tolerance! Recent trip with 12 of us, all in 5mm SCUBA wetsuits, 17°C water at 20 m, most could not tolerate it longer than 15 minutes before wanting to ascend to the warmer shallows. No gloves or hoods mind you, and no current to contend with so very little exertion.

Doing 2.5 mm in that climate, let alone UK waters...I cannot imagine ever even trying it!
    I've ice dived in my 2.5mm, all my compatriots were in dry suites .. but there again, I only ever wear shorts and t-shirts on dry land, all year round. And I'm 1.85m and 82kg .. so not a big chap .. although, as my other half calls me - a big idiot :)
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR View Post
    I mostly certainly would! I'm not a fan of heating in any shape or form ..
    I've ice dived in my 2.5mm, all my compatriots were in dry suites .. but there again, I only ever wear shorts and t-shirts on dry land, all year round. And I'm 1.85m and 82kg .. so not a big chap .. although, as my other half calls me - a big idiot :)

Much kudos to you on your underwater tolerance, I'm a shorts & t-shirt chap on land too but there's no way would I contemplate diving in anything less than a 5mm wetsuit nowadays. Although I don't wear gloves (operating cameras with them on is difficult I find) but I've usually got a hood on too!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    My Citizen has such a strap. Weblink to a page with a pic:

https://www.jomashop.com/media/catal...-bn000004h.jpg

I have also strapped on with a normal nato to the D ring on my BCD - it’s with me and I can set the elapsed time, but not on my wrist.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    My Citizen has such a strap. Weblink to a page with a pic:

https://www.jomashop.com/media/catal...-bn000004h.jpg

I have also strapped on with a normal nato to the D ring on my BCD - it’s with me and I can set the elapsed time, but not on my wrist.

Dave
    Ah yes, so that's what those 'crinkles' are for! Sensible move on the rig-clipped watch, that's a rather more pragmatic approach.

I've found a way with an elasticated strap for it to behave like a NATO in my wrist in terms of holding on even if one spring bar fails; thank you again to gunner for the suggestion.