closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its Barbecue season, what are you cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Port Market, Montevideo.

I was there in dry dock in '97 and the beef was amazing. Had to ask for some green stuff to go with it and got a funny look. I've wanted to go back for such a long time. Would have to visit different bars due to the wife being in tow now.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master

Its Barbecue season, what are you cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I think you 'need' one

That looks amazing as a starting point.

Yes, we both know I need one, I agree. Where does it fit in the mix with a new blown air temp controller, more cast iron surfaces and a new pizza oven!

I can happily drown my MEATER, as for low and slow its as useful as a compass to measure temperature. At the start of the F1 3hrs ago it had 3hrs until ready after 2hrs low at 225F. Pushing 5pm and the stall on the lamb has told me its almost 9hrs away.

AI scares me in some applicatIons, it is sorely needed in bbq as whatever algorithm seems to be used, is not that of one who has used a bbq before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mj2k; 24th July 2023 at 08:48.

Currently chomping on this. I'm a terrible cook but not a bad effort considering the skillset.

Master
    Mrs W wasnt hungry then lol?

The cleanliness of your cooking surface always amazes me. Remind me again what you do.

Cleaning tip Ive observed watching Spanish mates in a pinch, take a couple of halved lemons and wipe them liberally over the pre warmed grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Mrs W wasnt hungry then lol?

The cleanliness of your cooking surface always amazes me. Remind me again what you do.
    Only the surface is clean, around the sides of the grill and underneath are filthy.

My wife seems to think be deep cleaning it every 10 cooks. No chance, makes me sick every time I take it apart and deep clean it.

Cooked it way too long. Knew I should have got the wifi meat thermometer thing when it was on offer in Costco the other week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Only the surface is clean, around the sides of the grill and underneath are filthy.

My wife seems to think be deep cleaning it every 10 cooks. No chance, makes me sick every time I take it apart and deep clean it.

Cooked it way too long. Knew I should have got the wifi meat thermometer thing when it was on offer in Costco the other week.
    Ah are they doing MEATER+ now in there? Mine is the source of so much frustration especially on low cooks. On faster hot cooks it also seems to lie with the speed it thinks it is ready after 45mins.

MEATER is great for thick pieces of steak, not sure it would help you much there, and its not a fan of direct heat either as you will kill the external. Its perfect for an indirect cook / reverse sear - the Costco tomahawks are great for that.

iPhone 14 pro had a nice touch where the temps and time are displayed on the always on Lock Screen. Apart from the fact when it locks the temperatures drop about 20% until you unlock it again. Cant work that one out at all, but have to turn off the live aspect after cooking, as otherwise its still on my Lock Screen after the app is shut?!

https://www.thermometersdirect.co.uk...ermometer.html

Even with the tech, I still use one of these for most cooks. Saves looking at the phone all the time as can just glance at this easily. Ive had the last 3-4 generations of these. I have 2 of these current ones as convenient to leave the probe in the meat & rest elsewhere using the second device.

Under my grills get a scrape and a clean once a year. That is it, as theres no point doing more. The more modern bbq seems to get more fat into the fat trap more efficiently vs the ancient Weber I had. However with the new more efficient fat collection Ive also seen more fat fires from underneath the bbq when at friends - they never check that part, worryingly!

I need to get more gas, Ive using a spare bottle next to the bbq currently as hate the rigmarole of removing the attached bottle from the side, and hate putting a full heavy one on it even more.

Each to their own I know and I'll admit I'm not very techy but surely cooking a piece of meat over an open flame, with a wee bit of practice, comes almost as naturally as breathing after all we've been at it for hundreds of thousands of years. Just my view though.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th July 2023 at 14:59.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Each to their own I know and I'll admit I'm not very techy but surely cooking a piece of meat over an open flame, with a wee bit of practice, comes almost as naturally as breathing after all we've been at it for hundred of thousands of years. Just my view though.
    Thats how I cook my thin bits of protein, just a quick probe with a Thermapen to ensure nothing goes too far & retains moisture. 160F max aside from fish and residual heat will finish the job.

For 2-3 thick cuts of meat at upwards of 25 to 60 Id rather let tech help out and do a reverse sear knowing Ive got the perfect temperature of steak to consume at the end.

Equally for 16hr cooks Id like tech there to save me going outside to check temps all the time or allowing me to go to bed.

Ah are they doing MEATER+ now in there? Mine is the source of so much frustration especially on low cooks. On faster hot cooks it also seems to lie with the speed it thinks it is ready after 45mins.

MEATER is great for thick pieces of steak, not sure it would help you much there, and its not a fan of direct heat either as you will kill the external. Its perfect for an indirect cook / reverse sear - the Costco tomahawks are great for that.
    I can happily drown my MEATER, as for low and slow its as useful as a compass to measure temperature. At the start of the F1 3hrs ago it had 3hrs until ready after 2hrs low at 225F. Pushing 5pm and the stall on the lamb has told me its almost 9hrs away.
    I believe you are asking too much from your thermometer: it is great at giving you internal and external temperature. It is not good at telling you how long it will take (despite the time it takes to give you a cooking time).
    It is not very good at estimating final temperature after resting time either: the bigger the piece of meat, the lower the temperature I set compared to the final one I want to achieve, otherwise the resting time will take it over the desired outcome. That is fine, using it brings experience and you get better at it.
    It remains a great tool both in the BBQ and in the oven.
    Just use it for what it is.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thats how I cook my thin bits of protein, just a quick probe with a Thermapen to ensure nothing goes too far & retains moisture. 160F max aside from fish and residual heat will finish the job.

For 2-3 thick cuts of meat at upwards of 25 to 60 Id rather let tech help out and do a reverse sear knowing Ive got the perfect temperature of steak to consume at the end.

Equally for 16hr cooks Id like tech there to save me going outside to check temps all the time or allowing me to go to bed.
    Fair enough, happy grilling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I believe you are asking too much from your thermometer: it is great at giving you internal and external temperature. It is not good at telling you how long it will take (despite the time it takes to give you a cooking time).
    It is not very good at estimating final temperature after resting time either: the bigger the piece of meat, the lower the temperature I set compared to the final one I want to achieve, otherwise the resting time will take it over the desired outcome. That is fine, using it brings experience and you get better at it.
    It remains a great tool both in the BBQ and in the oven.
    Just use it for what it is.
    I ignore it completely tbh, just frustrating that it has an algorithm that is so poor at determining the cook times of anything. All the selecting of meat style and cut probably does nothing in changing what / how it measures or predicts.

Rotisserie chicken on the Weber . used a Meater+ but it underestimated the cook time - not a good thing with poultry - so used a thermapen to double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ignore it completely tbh, just frustrating that it has an algorithm that is so poor at determining the cook times of anything. All the selecting of meat style and cut probably does nothing in changing what / how it measures or predicts.
    I think part of the issue is that the algorithm ignores the size of the piece of meat; therefore it extrapolates the time it takes to increase the probe temperature from x (when you put the piece of meat in the heat) to y (a few degrees more) to give you the cooking time.
    Slow cooks are worst because the differential between end temperature and outside temperature is much reduced and thermodynamics is complicated stuff

Master
    I think part of the issue is that the algorithm ignores the size of the piece of meat; therefore it extrapolates the time it takes to increase the probe temperature from x (when you put the piece of meat in the heat) to y (a few degrees more) to give you the cooking time.
    Slow cooks are worst because the differential between end temperature and outside temperature is much reduced and thermodynamics is complicated stuff
    I hear you there, wish they could work the stall out. Would make life so much easier lol. Sous vide time to temp on my old polyscience app is at least accurate as you input the thickness of the meat, which is the critical factor combined with the water temp.

Researching a new air blower for my temps currently. Realised I relied on it too much, have forced myself to re-learn, but still like peace of mind for the long cooks.

Still cannot work out if I would actually leave the house while the bbq is lit though. No roaring fires / extinguished coals on any low & slow in the last 13+ years but somehow cannot being myself to leave the vicinity of the bbq just in case.

I hear you there. I trust my kamado but my wife cannot leave the house if the washing machine is on.

Makes sense re the thicker cuts and the MEATER Vs the thinner. I guess the solution is to eat steak more often and just get better at it each time. No bad thing.

The Weber Go really is playing on my mind. Went to see one in John Lewis on the weekend and sorely tempted. Only issue is you'd have to get it out and put it away each time Vs the larger ones which just sit there ready to go 24/7.

Master
    I hear you there. I trust my kamado but my wife cannot leave the house if the washing machine is on.
    I say every year that it will be the year I leave the house while it is cooking! With the Fireboard 2, I can login remotely and view temps etc - yet to work out off I can adjust on the fly but even my IQ110 temp controller has never had any issues at all, so there is zero logic to my concerns! Do you trust yours without any temp controls?

Makes sense re the thicker cuts and the MEATER Vs the thinner. I guess the solution is to eat steak more often and just get better at it each time. No bad thing.

The Weber Go really is playing on my mind. Went to see one in John Lewis on the weekend and sorely tempted. Only issue is you'd have to get it out and put it away each time Vs the larger ones which just sit there ready to go 24/7.
    I went for a Smokey Joe as had a greater depth from the fuel & replicated the kettle a little more shape wise. Was good fun to cook on, but the Go Anywhere is better shaped if you travel with it.

You looking at the gas or the charcoal one? If charcoal, then it also adds flexibility to your cooking vs a gas as you can play with smoke flavours a lot more.

I gave my Joe to a friend when I got a minimax egg, as covered a similar size, but wish I could have got a Small imported as the mini is just a little to small sometimes.

The other consideration is that unless you have a suitable table, cooking on the ground is just not any fun!

I have an SNS travel grill, which is great for throwing in the boot. Probably a bit more versatile than the Weber go anywhere and easier to do indirect.

https://www.tbbq.co.uk/shop/slow-n-s...-kettle-grill/

https://youtu.be/9wokS-jB-S8

https://youtu.be/ksaoIArHX-A

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    ^ assuming it lasts like a Weber and has the warranty, that is a cracking piece of kit with so much flexibility!

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    I have an SNS travel grill, which is great for throwing in the boot. Probably a bit more versatile than the Weber go anywhere and easier to do indirect.
    This looks great. I'm tempted, but how many barbecues is too many?

I've never had a problem with indirect heat on the Go. I've comfortably used it for small joints of meat, either as set up below or with coals and meat on opposite ends.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    This looks great. I'm tempted, but how many barbecues is too many?

I've never had a problem with indirect heat on the Go. I've comfortably used it for small joints of meat, either as set up below or with coals and meat on opposite ends.

Im trying not to buy any more grills. I'm down to 7 now. It's worse than watches!

I say every year that it will be the year I leave the house while it is cooking! With the Fireboard 2, I can login remotely and view temps etc - yet to work out off I can adjust on the fly but even my IQ110 temp controller has never had any issues at all, so there is zero logic to my concerns! Do you trust yours without any temp controls?

I went for a Smokey Joe as had a greater depth from the fuel & replicated the kettle a little more shape wise. Was good fun to cook on, but the Go Anywhere is better shaped if you travel with it.

You looking at the gas or the charcoal one? If charcoal, then it also adds flexibility to your cooking vs a gas as you can play with smoke flavours a lot more.

I gave my Joe to a friend when I got a minimax egg, as covered a similar size, but wish I could have got a Small imported as the mini is just a little to small sometimes.

The other consideration is that unless you have a suitable table, cooking on the ground is just not any fun!
    Debating a mini charcoal one so I can hide away and not get whined at for clogging up the patio. Hadn't heard of the Weber Smokey Joe until you mentioned it. Seems much more logical.

A neighbour just got a charcoal BBQ the other week and smelling the charcoal was beautiful but made me feel like I was exposed for having fake boobs. Then I saw the Weber Go on here and got tempted.

Master
    Debating a mini charcoal one so I can hide away and not get whined at for clogging up the patio. Hadn't heard of the Weber Smokey Joe until you mentioned it. Seems much more logical.

A neighbour just got a charcoal BBQ the other week and smelling the charcoal was beautiful but made me feel like I was exposed for having fake boobs. Then I saw the Weber Go on here and got tempted.
    I have one of the Weber Smokey Joes, and find it a great little BBQ (to go along with my larger Genesis II gas one, a pizza oven and mini Kamado!) I also get moaned at about the amount of stuff on the patio so some of those might have to live in the shed to make space for a larger Kamado. I cant justify the 2k or so for a Big Green Egg but some of the cheaper alternatives look like they might do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There we go, over the line. I'm having friends over Friday for BBQ and this will be too small and I'll use the Weber gas but will see if I can get this one once for a steak. Probably the first step of another rabbit hole.

For the extra money I would get the SNS travel grill. 4 inches wider, with a temperature gauge and a slow sear charcoal basket and better quality grates and just as portable.

Master
    Im trying not to buy any more grills. I'm down to 7 now. It's worse than watches!

Trouble is they take up more room and not as easy to hide

Master

What have you got?

Kamado Joe Classic 2

PK 360

PK PKTX

Weber 2200

SNS travel grill

Weber E 5770

Broil king Monarch

I think a good vet could probably bring that back Sean😉

Master
    Blog Entries

On the steak cook thing. I am busy now but I was going to a steak BBQ lesson. The meat at this gig will be ace as it from butcher Farrell

https://butcherfarrell.co.uk
    Last edited by Middo; 26th July 2023 at 07:22.

Went to my local Butcher at Ranks Green, Essex. C Humphreys & Sons. Always fantastic meat and you know its fresh and local as you drive in

Master
    Kamado Joe Classic 2

PK 360

PK PKTX

Weber 2200

SNS travel grill

Weber E 5770

Broil king Monarch

Are you only person to not call the 5770a master touch lol?

Nice range of options there though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Went to my local Butcher at Ranks Green, Essex. C Humphreys & Sons. Always fantastic meat and you know its fresh and local as you drive in
    My school friend has a similar set up, just wish he was local to me.

The cost of business has meant hes shut down the town centre butcher and now operates online or from the farm only.

Certainly is impressive from a food miles perspective - assuming the slaughter house is local too.

Are you only person to not call the 5770a master touch lol?
    You may know better, but I think Weber call it that! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Very good. On the occasions I don't get it perfect, I'd much rather it be undercooked than overcooked.

Master
    Very good. On the occasions I don't get it perfect, I'd much rather it be undercooked than overcooked.

Oh yes Id much rather it be on the red side vs the brown side.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Perfect, just how it should be👍😁

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Perfect, just how it should be👍😁
    Indeed, took me a while to slowly keep undercooking the wifes steaks until she started to appreciate the better texture & flavour of a good rare steak. Similar journey with her parents too on roast beef; gone from being brown all the way through to having a lovely redness.

Bit too close last Christmas though as her mum misread the time per kilo for rare and it had about 30-45 mins less than it should. Was a weird thing carving and shes calling the maths out as its very red & we all pick up on the mistake! But nobody said anything until after the lunch, as we are not daft lol

Weber arent the fastest at deliveries but got here in the end. Couple of lamb chops on the gas while I built it. Going to put a sirloin on the charcoal tomorrow hopefully.

Nice one mate. Will be interested to hear how you get on. I think it's about time I bought a small lid on.

Weber arent the fastest at deliveries but got here in the end. Couple of lamb chops on the gas while I built it. Going to put a sirloin on the charcoal tomorrow hopefully.

Master
    Love the colour of that!

Why have I never thought of putting a chilli on my bbq, damn good idea!

Konro out again today as Mrs K complained that I never cook for her on it.
    apparently only being able to grill one thing at a time on it is not a reason for me not being put to task.

Anyway - USDA Prime rib and tandoori belly bites for Sunday lunch.

^this looks delicious.

Oooo that looks tasty
    I was planning on doing something similar with pork belly this afternoon.
    I am undecided on a strong Indian / Asian style marinade or go for a Gyros type grill.
    Will report back later today.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ That's looks amazing (and no doubt was delicious!)

Not seen "Tandoori Belly Bites" before - <<off to do a Google search!>>

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    ^^^ That's looks amazing (and no doubt was delicious!)

Not seen "Tandoori Belly Bites" before -
    Thank you.

You may want to search for burnt ends as I think it maybe only me that calls them belly bites.

Ps, yes, they are delicious

Master
    Thank you.

You may want to search for burnt ends as I think it maybe only me that calls them belly bites.

Ps, yes, they are delicious
    Belly burnt ends is what I know them as, but always done bbq flavours and not considered tandoori. Ive always gone low & slow too, but they look fantastic.

You have also been given permission for a larger grill too, although your wife may not interpret it as such! Ive never grilled a steak where I havent got space to move it off direct heat as needed, fair play on the commitment there!

That charcoal photo looks incredibly hot, almost warming in the July drizzle here while I watch the F1 contemplating how I really cannot be arsed to light the egg later after a full on bbq for the in-laws & family last night; 13k steps to the bbq and back & serving drinks to everyone. Shattered.

You have also been given permission for a larger grill too, although your wife may not interpret it as such! Ive never grilled a steak where I havent got space to move it off direct heat as needed, fair play on the commitment there!
    I have another larger charcoal grill and also a large gas one. I only normally use the konro when grilling for myself, but the missus insisted I used it for both of us yesterday. She was doing the beer runs, so all good.

Master
    I have another larger charcoal grill and also a large gas one. I only normally use the konro when grilling for myself, but the missus insisted I used it for both of us yesterday. She was doing the beer runs, so all good.
    My Kellybab on the egg had me running 13k steps, keeping the in laws drinks topped up. Wife doing the drinks runs would have been great lol, she sat and enjoyed time with her family so cant complain.