closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It’s Barbecue season, what are you cooking?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not cooked anything in it yet but just got this little thing for the next camp trip

A pre-breakfast swim in the sea followed by BBQ bacon rolls on the beach. Perfect.

I spatchcocked a Chicken and did a Tom Kerridge Piri-Piri marinade from scratch at the weekend, left 24H to marinade and cooked indirectly on my trusty Weber. Way better than a Nandos. I can see this being a weekly dinner from now on.

Master
    Looks good! Which book was the recipe from?

Noting particularly fancy but simple, is sometimes best

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Noting particularly fancy but simple, is sometimes best
    I rejected my corn recently, as someone picking could not have chosen 2 differently sized ones if they had physically put the effort in. What is going through their brains, I despair when I order 2 or something, even from the butcher

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I rejected my corn recently, as someone picking could not have chosen 2 differently sized ones if they had physically put the effort in. What is going through their brains, I despair when I order 2 or something, even from the butcher

I cut both the steak and corn
    The corn was in the husk, the top of the shorter corn was a little battered so off it came, steak was cut from a quarter of a rump, got 7 steaks out of it.
    That sort of thing does not bother me, the Mrs prefers smaller portions so it kind of works for us.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th August 2023 at 21:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I cut both the steak and corn
    The corn was in the husk, the top of the shorter corn was a little battered so off it came, steak was cut from a quarter of a rump, got 7 steaks out of it.
    That sort of thing does not bother me, the Mrs prefers smaller portions so it kind of works for us.
    Lovely cut to make some personal cuts from, looks amazing!

What is your bbq by the way, looks like my fathers.

Caught and baked

Now we're talking. That looks superb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Indeed, and no fancy pants bbq to do it either.

Was there actually anything wrong with it?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

It was delicious
    Fish is common dentex

Master
    Much as I dislike doing the barbecuing I was persuaded to do one just for the three of us last night.

It turned out alright and the barbecue worked surprisingly well for a cheapo thing my wife picked up from a charity shop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Was there actually anything wrong with it?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
    Yes, one was the size that 2 were required as a side, the other was a sensible size. I reject stupid picking choices, short dates, or my other big bug bear, bread / rolls placed at the bottom of a basket & heavy items placed on top.

Supermarket pickers need to pick like they were doing their own shop, not a hard concept to grasp. Sainsbury’s seems to be worse than Tesco, Ocado never had an issue, but once they went to M&S instead of Waitrose we decided to leave.

Yes, one was the size that 2 were required as a side, the other was a sensible size. I reject stupid picking choices, short dates, or my other big bug bear, bread / rolls placed at the bottom of a basket & heavy items placed on top.

Supermarket pickers need to pick like they were doing their own shop, not a hard concept to grasp. Sainsbury’s seems to be worse than Tesco, Ocado never had an issue, but once they went to M&S instead of Waitrose we decided to leave.

I’d add unfathomably nonsensical substitutions to the list of grievances.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’d add unfathomably nonsensical substitutions to the list of grievances.
    Haha oh yes, I cannot believe the substitutions are left to the pickers and not through head office suggestions on the hand held scanners.

I’ve had substitutions for herbs & spices that couldn’t be used as a replacement. Flaked almonds ordered, cashews arrived, or order 12 eggs which get replaced with 6, not 2 packs of 6, just 6.

Master
    Tomorrow night will be rotisserie chickens, bought a couple of extra small chickens so just going to have one each & devour it. Simple, but really looking forward to it.

Missus is away this weekend so I'm having the lads round for a bit of food on Saturday. About 10 in total so I've pushed the boat out, as you do! 5kg packer brisket, Wexford short ribs, st Louis ribs and some burgers. Likely get some chicken wings too. Just in case anyone feels hungry.

If the weather is dry tomorrow night, I'm toying with the idea of doing the brisket overnight at 190°f.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    190f is an interestingly low temp, not seen many cooked that low & slow. Assuming you’ve done it previously.

What you cooking on?

Cooking on a Yoder YS640 Pellet Rig. Usually I'd throw something as big as a Brisket on my UDS and go hot and fast at 280'ish, but with the weather being good overnight and the fact I can set the Yoder to a low temp and not worry I thought let's give it a go!

There's another aspect too, pellet smokers render more smoke at lower temps so it's a technique some of the yanks use to get more of a smoke ring.

So I threw the Brisket on at 10 last night and checked it this morning at 7. Temp had sat at 150 (the stall) for a few hours but started rising by 8.

I'm about to wrap it in butcher paper shortly to reach the final target temp of 195-201f.

Also rendered the Brisket trimmings down for some tallow, which I'll add to the butcher paper.

Shirt and St Louis ribs went on at 10 so hopefully all done for 3-4pm!

Master
    Damn that looks good already! I was looking at Yoder a few years ago, before I went BGE for the flexibility.

Friend has a pellet Traeger, want to taste the food from it but he never cooks bbq for me, like all my friends lol.

I do take the p*** out of him telling him it is just a step above a George Foreman grill, and he bites each time.

Head hung low, I also have a friend who actually has a Foreman & loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Cooking on a Yoder YS640 Pellet Rig. Usually I'd throw something as big as a Brisket on my UDS and go hot and fast at 280'ish, but with the weather being good overnight and the fact I can set the Yoder to a low temp and not worry I thought let's give it a go!

There's another aspect too, pellet smokers render more smoke at lower temps so it's a technique some of the yanks use to get more of a smoke ring.

So I threw the Brisket on at 10 last night and checked it this morning at 7. Temp had sat at 150 (the stall) for a few hours but started rising by 8.

I'm about to wrap it in butcher paper shortly to reach the final target temp of 195-201f.

Also rendered the Brisket trimmings down for some tallow, which I'll add to the butcher paper.

Shirt and St Louis ribs went on at 10 so hopefully all done for 3-4pm!

That looks seriously impressive!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    https://youtu.be/2dlLQ6L4it4?si=CETQXMp2GsqLhIMa

I’ve been doing this recently on the BBQ and is delicious. I toned down the fish sauce to at max 1tbsp as it is quite potent. It makes for an easy prep ahead of time earlier in the day and then just cooked on a hot BBQ for a quick cook. I skip all the make you own flatbread and sauce to date.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    https://youtu.be/2dlLQ6L4it4?si=CETQXMp2GsqLhIMa

I’ve been doing this recently on the BBQ and is delicious. I toned down the fish sauce to at max 1tbsp as it is quite potent. It makes for an easy prep ahead of time earlier in the day and then just cooked on a hot BBQ for a quick cook. I skip all the make you own flatbread and sauce to date.
    That is one hell of a lot of oil in his recipe to marinade 2 chicken breasts, wow. I use 2/3 of his amount when I marinade 2kg of chicken for a Kellybab.

His enlightenment that if you don’t have garlic paste, you can use fresh garlic was truly eye opening!

I see so many easy flat bread recipes, but like you, the number made to date is zero. No idea why.

Master
    Some new rubs from A&O/BBQ Pit Boys:

Chicken with their gyro rub and some little spuds and SPG.

Didnt take any clean plating up pics but that's someone's half demolished wrap a few mins later.

Master
    Looking good - what’s the spud recipe?

I’m yet to buy a rub, always make my own. Is SPG anything other than what it suggests? I feel the ones to buy just seem so expensive - few £k of bbq and refuse to try the rubs lol.

Master
    Oh and well done for the radish - thought it was only me who had them!

OXO Good Grips Handheld Mandoline... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000YDO2...p_mob_ap_share

This is a go-to favourite for quick and easy flat bread salad prep. It can be lethal without the guard if the salad decides to stick, and it hurts.

Master
    Spuds are just halved or quartered, boil to soften and then a glug of oil and whatever rub you fancy.
    SPG really is just that, but it’s there and simple. Their “fries with that” is another nice one for potato seasoning (mmmmm chip spice)

I’ve got just about all the Angus and Oink rubs, eve Zhoug and that’s just grim.
    The new bbq pit boys Texan rub tastes of bbq Pringles :)

Even our local butcher stocks a decent range of A&O rubs and it saves on postage (and Amazon used to have a few). They can seem a bit pricey but saves you hunting down some random herbs on the morning of a surprise cook.

I can use the honey chilli rub as a sherbert dib dab but then I might be a bit peculiar.

Damn that looks good already! I was looking at Yoder a few years ago, before I went BGE for the flexibility.

Friend has a pellet Traeger, want to taste the food from it but he never cooks bbq for me, like all my friends lol.

I do take the p*** out of him telling him it is just a step above a George Foreman grill, and he bites each time.

Head hung low, I also have a friend who actually has a Foreman & loves it!
    My folks call the Yoder a mobile crematorium. Partly due to the sheer weight and size of the thing. Though I've never burned anything!

It is just a glorified oven and I treat it as such. Throw in the capacity aspect and it'll easy cater for large groups (20+) when cooking chicken or burgers. Still has a slight smoke aspect to it if cranking up the temps. It really is a good all rounder (pricing aside)!

There's one for sale on eBay at the moment too. First I've ever seen for sale 2nd hand in this country.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    My folks call the Yoder a mobile crematorium. Partly due to the sheer weight and size of the thing. Though I've never burned anything!

It is just a glorified oven and I treat it as such. Throw in the capacity aspect and it'll easy cater for large groups (20+) when cooking chicken or burgers. Still has a slight smoke aspect to it if cranking up the temps. It really is a good all rounder (pricing aside)!

There's one for sale on eBay at the moment too. First I've ever seen for sale 2nd hand in this country.

Haha a great name for it! I ended up down the egg route as opened up more options, last 7yrs have been mainly used as a smoker but now doing more roasts / sharing steaks. Still fancy a Yoder / equivalent to try for a bit; only friend with a pellet has a Traeger and won’t go overnight due to auger concerns and fires!

Dry season is upon us

Master
    Dry season is upon us
    Looking great, Jon! What flavours you using for them?

Wish I was cooking the Xmas meal in the Eggs rather than my sister's ovens, but oh well.

NYE will be a surf & turf, with bouillabaisse to start, followed by some ridiculously large prawns and either a tri-tip or pichana reverse seared.

I see there also a v2 Meater+ out now that goes to 550C so can leave it in the meat for a reverse sear - will need to upgrade once they have stock in again.

Dry season is upon us
    If we were in the BP I might have few chosen words

I’ll still use the egg for Christmas dinner though ;)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

I’ll still use the egg for Christmas dinner though ;)
    Best roasted meat ever eh! When it is 2 of us, can use the Mini for the meat and the XL for veg & spuds to get the space & variety.

I love the smoked flavour, when Cau existed they had the best Sunday roast eating out ever - nowhere got close to flavours, even the guys with stars.

Cottage pie on the egg tonight, slight smoke hint elevates it so much.

Kept this very simple. Salt and pepper for the beef and lamb, and a tandoori for the chicken.

It's been an extremely long rainy season this year (March - December).

I deserve my BBQ's

I certainly wouldn’t dream of saying you do not deserve it. It’s the «*dry season*» bit that grated. The local reservoir overflowed yesterday.
    And I remember well the deluges you can have. The noise, too. I even remember the rats running out of the storm drains just before they start to overflow on the road It really doesn’t compare with here if I am honest. But we have the cold with it!

But don’t you have a veranda allowing you to BBQ in all weathers?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

But don’t you have a veranda allowing you to BBQ in all weathers?
    We do, but the intensity of the rain means that nowhere is safe.

I’ll BBQ in the rain to be honest. It’s just that we like to invite friends over and all sit outside.